Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Northern Hemisphere Winter 2020-2021 Snowcover / Misc Obs  (Read 41119 times)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5308
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Northern Hemisphere Winter 2020-2021 Snowcover / Misc Obs
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2021, 02:08:16 PM »
https://ccin.ca/ccw/snow/current

Eurasia snow getting interesting. SWE (snow water equivalent = mass) still increasing at more than 1SD above average, while SCE (snow cover extent) continuing to decline to much more than 1 SD below average.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2021, 05:36:58 PM »
On 02/03/21, NH snow extent anomaly was -1.703 million km^2 according to Cryosphere Computing.

At what point in February or March does a snow extent anomaly start to have a meaningful impact in terms of jumpstarting or delaying the spring melt via albedo feedback?  The North American Great Plains, Southern Russia, and the Balkans are starting to have significant and durable negative anomalies. 

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2021, 07:16:24 PM »
On 02/04/21, NH snow extent anomaly was -2.101 million km^2 according to Cryosphere Computing.

In the Balkans and Southern Russia where the anomaly is the biggest (Roughly 45N), average daily temperatures have been hovering around 5C, and there are now more than 10 daylight hours each day, with the length of daylight increasing by more than 2 minutes each day. 

Bitter cold is coming to the Great Plains in North America this upcoming week, but it remains to be seen if there will be much precipitation associated with this cold wave in the Great Plains. 

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2021, 04:51:22 PM »
On 02/05/21, NH snow extent anomaly was -2.443 million km^2 according to Cryosphere Computing.

If you compare snow coverage to last year on this date, there is surprisingly a very similar deficit in Eastern Europe/Southern Russia/Central Asia, although last year had positive snow extent anomalies in China and in North America that we do not see currently this year. 

Last year the snow extent deficit in Eastern Europe/Southern Russia/Central Asia remained remarkably consistent up through March.  Will we see something similar this year?

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2021, 05:11:13 PM »

Nortern Hemisphere snow getting even more interesting. SWE (snow water equivalent = mass) still increasing at more than 1SD above average, while SCE (snow cover extent) continuing to decline to much more than 1 SD below average.

Will that extra snow mass in high latitudes delay the melt?

We have reached the point where at least in the lower latitudes new snow is likely to melt soon after. There is warmth now in that sun at least to the mid-50's latitude.

Shared Humanity

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 471
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2021, 10:37:31 PM »

We have reached the point where at least in the lower latitudes new snow is likely to melt soon after. There is warmth now in that sun at least to the mid-50's latitude.

Generally yes but the 10 inches of snow in Chicago area isn't going anywhere over the next 2 weeks as temperatures stay very cold.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2021, 11:15:51 PM »

Generally yes but the 10 inches of snow in Chicago area isn't going anywhere over the next 2 weeks as temperatures stay very cold.
la Nina plus 3(?) SSWs is going to cause some oddities. And N America snowfall  is small beer compared with Asia

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2021, 01:56:40 AM »
GFS's forecast suggests snow a plenty coming to N. America and Europe over the next 7-10 days . Snow to the Gulf coast and covering most of Italy and Greece as well as the British isles .. almost an ' event '.
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2021, 05:25:53 PM »
On 02/06/21, NH snow extent anomaly was -2.568 million km^2 according to Cryosphere Computing.

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2021, 03:19:43 PM »
On 02/08/21, NH snow extent anomaly was -1.209 million km^2 according to Cryosphere Computing.

Asia still very low, but Europe and N. America rebounding in snow extent with some mega cold snaps incoming for both. 

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2021, 05:00:04 PM »
Cant remember ever seeing the SWE below +1SD in winter, same thing this year. One year there was so much snow they had to adjust the y-axis scale
Bunch of small python Arctic Apps:
https://github.com/SimonF92/Arctic

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2021, 07:19:59 PM »
Cant remember ever seeing the SWE below +1SD in winter, same thing this year. One year there was so much snow they had to adjust the y-axis scale
Perhaps 2017-18? Not very good image attached.

Note that it did not delay the melt by very much.

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2021, 09:07:44 PM »
Perhaps 2017-18? Not very good image attached.

Note that it did not delay the melt by very much.

Ah yes, a little brush there. Look at that crazy fast melt in spring- must have been torched
Bunch of small python Arctic Apps:
https://github.com/SimonF92/Arctic

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2021, 03:02:18 PM »
On 02/12/21, NH snow extent anomaly was -0.754 million km^2 according to Cryosphere Computing.  Slightly below average. 

Snow extent has been accumulating in North America, but falling in Asia.  Still more snow to come in North America (what looks to be an historic snowfall with snow and freezing temps all the way down to Houston and Corpus Christi near the Gulf coast). 

Aaaaaand in other news, our heater just went out, while temperatures here in Missouri hover in the teens today and are set to plunge below zero Sunday and Monday.  We have a technician scheduled to come in a couple of hours.  House temp is 52 F and falling.  We have the electric stovetops on....

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2021, 06:15:04 PM »
Yay!  Furnace fixed!  The drain that drains the inducer motor of moisture was frozen/clogged underneath the house, so water was backing up into the inducer turbine, which wasn't allowing the turbine to produce enough exhaust airflow, which wasn't allowing the ignition sensor to see that it was safe for the ignition and gas to turn on.  At first the technician thought that the entire inducer motor might have worn its bearings out (after 1 and a half years from when I bought it new?!) but nope, it was the moisture drain to it that was frozen shut underneath the house. 

Now we are ready for the -10 F low that we are forecast to have Tuesday morning...

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3943
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2021, 09:45:31 PM »
Glad it's fixed.

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2021, 08:29:43 PM »
It took a while this year but... here we are.... it looks like we are about a week from breaking the scale.

Extent in North America is also now quite impressive, and we have... epic.... cold in the southern tier of the country. Unprecedented cold and snow in the Southern Plains, in fact.

Hemispherically, we have another month or more of accretion to go (probably), and we are already around +1SD vs. normal seasonal maximum. We will break this scale a bit later than North America's, but it looks like this one should fall as well.

Spatially, the strong negative anomalies across Quebec that developed in the late autumn have now been completely resolved, now relegated to Newfoundland.

Deficits appear concentrated in Southern Europe and the region of Eurasia below the Urals. In sync with the lack of ice along the CAB front / Barentz, I think this may portend an EARLY arrival of springtime and summer across much of Europe and western Eurasia, and a vigorous start to the melt season along the CAB's Atlantic boundary. However, the plentiful SWE elsewhere may combine with these anomalies in the High Arctic to PROLONG winter, perhaps severely so, across North America in particular -- and maybe the Himalayas and parts of Siberia again, especially adjacent to the very strong extent numbers in Okhotsk? We shall see.

I do think the very high +SWE is an indicator that this springtime may follow the trajectory of 2013  2014 in a delayed melt of freshwater lakes across the North American continent. In those years that correlated to increased melt in the HIGHEST Arctic but diminished extent and area losses overall.

2020 saw a delayed melt in North America as well although this ultimately mattered less to the final extent numbers. Will excessive melting in the High Arctic outdo the amount of ice now accumulating in the lower latitudes and Beaufort? I am unsure, but I do think this configuration supports substantial additional accretion of SWE, especially in North America.

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2021, 08:33:46 PM »
It is also interesting to note that the intense heat relative to normal across eastern Quebec as of late has been ENHANCING snowfall in this region. We have seen a year over year shift for early February to concentrate heat further in the High Arctic. I think this is an alarming prospect for the onset of spring and the CAB front.

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2021, 05:44:28 PM »
On 02/14/21, NH snow extent anomaly was +0.304 million km^2 according to Cryosphere Computing.  Slightly above average.  It's the first time I've seen it above average in quite a while.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2021, 06:22:18 PM »
Certainly a spectacular amount of new snow especially in the lower 48, and a bit more especially in the NE today and tomorrow.

Relief in the form of warmth should be underway by Sunday from the south and west for the lower 48, but not for Canada.

I wonder how quickly the snow in the lower 48 will decline. It looks quite thick in many places.

Shared Humanity

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2021, 07:53:58 PM »
Between 1 foot and 2 feet of fresh snow in the Chicago metro area over the past 36 hours. The snowfall totals were heavier as you moved south. This on top of the foot on the ground. Finally sunny.

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2021, 05:21:19 PM »
BOOM!

On 02/16/21, NH snow extent anomaly was +2.339 million km^2 according to Cryosphere Computing.  Significantly above average.  That Texas snowstorm is really doing a doozy. 

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2021, 06:33:43 PM »
I think this is the earliest in the season we have broken the SWE scale (OK, probably tomorrow).

And extent is the highest I can recall seeing, ever, in North America.

PS: I know my predictions of a looming +SWE spiral are met with skepticism especially when it comes to scenarios of rapid glaciation but I think the situation in Texas illustrates how rapidly things can fail in the face of unexpected change.

It is interesting to note that the resilience in the face of increasingly warm summertime temperatures actually appears greater vs. wintertime cold. Heatwaves have progressed gradually in most regions, and also generally do not come with problems for power grids beyond actual capacity being an issue.

When Arctic blasts occur, supply is hindered and capacity is also stretched.

I think what we have just witnessed across the US is a prelude to worse events in the next 5-10 years. Oklahoma City recorded its lowest temperature since 1899, records were smashed everywhere, and it isn't the heart of winter -- it is almost late February, insolation is almost two months past minimum.

What happens when we see an Arctic blast with a magnitude worse than this persist for a week, or two weeks? And the roads are clogged, and it is snowing or icing, and the power is out? This does not necessitate glaciation btw, this could just be a two week period of weather similar to what we just saw, which is hardly unfeasible given the new records we are now setting across parts of the US.

It must also be noted that one of the regions which this airmass passed over /originated has been cold since last summer, and that is the NW Rockies in Canada, where summertime temps were 2-3C below 1980-2010 normals. Similar to the Himalayas, or the mountains of NE Eurasia, a 2-3C drop in summertime temperatures here allows snowpack to survive or accrete for most of the summer, in fact these temperatures were not that far above the threshold for re-glaciation as they are co-located with very high elevations.

With so much thick ice now extant in the Beaufort, I suspect that this region could play host to anomalies that are even worse this summer, although I have been very wrong in the past re: Quebec et al. However, Quebec is isolated from multi-year sea ice (Baffin and Hudson do not retain it / although MYI flows do drift into Baffin and smatterings may survive one year to the next in the channels of the CAA, but that is kind of further north).

The NW Rockies are directly downwind of the huge mass of ice now pushing onto Alaska and the Yukon's northern shore. This ice mass may be pushed off at some point in spring or summer, or it may not be, but in either case, I would think that as the FYI and snowcover melt in the lower latitudes, this region could become an anchor of cold and snow and relatively -500MB anomalies during NHEM spring + summertime, which could lead to continued Arctic Blasts into the lower 48, which will also lead to continued degradation of the ATL ice front, as these blasts will ultimately transport oceanic heat from the Gulf of Mexico and NW NATL into Greenland and the Barentz / Kara / CAB.

We are already seeing this pattern setting in across most modeling, with scorching anomalies centering over the CAB and peripheral ATL front on a persistent basis. The snowcover situation developing in North America is likely to further exacerbate the situation especially with insolation rapidly increasing. For now, the anomalies are generating heat close to freezing, and a lot of snow as well I would guess -- but we are only a few weeks or less from 0C+ temperatures resulting from these heat pulses across the Highest Arctic.

Finally, I am very curious to see what happens in Quebec as a result of the current / future pattern. While it has been very warm relative to normal, it has still been below freezing, and this relative warmth has simultaneously allowed much greater moisture / snowfall vs. normal February conditions across Quebec. As +500MB anomalies likely continue gaining prominence in the Highest Arctic as we head into spring, and the lowest latitudes melt out re: snowfall, -500MB anomalies are likely to concentrate in areas that retain +SWE, which probably includes Quebec. I could see the pattern shifting towards a very cold Canada in March, April, May, and possibly extending into June and July for the regions most prone to retaining snowpack.

This would severely blunt melting momentum for the Beaufort, Hudson, and CAA, while -- for reasons stated above -- contributing to melt momentum along the Atlantic oceanic periphery of the CAB.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:53:32 PM by bbr2315 »

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 574
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2021, 09:06:04 PM »
So should natural gas plants in Texas and southern US sue themselves for weatherization of their plants? ;D

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3943
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2021, 09:25:45 PM »
bbr - reglaciation is not to be discussed here. Off limits.
Regardless, snow blasts in winter are expected to increase, with the current event being a nice example of an extreme outlier.

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2021, 10:56:25 PM »
LOL, NH snow extent anomaly has been negative for almost the entire winter, and the moment we get a momentary positive anomaly bbr is back on here.

Shared Humanity

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2021, 12:34:18 AM »
LOL, NH snow extent anomaly has been negative for almost the entire winter, and the moment we get a momentary positive anomaly bbr is back on here.

I, for one, would be happy to see more snow survive the summers in the Rockies where glaciers have been retreating for decades.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 489
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2021, 03:31:39 AM »
The current U.S. snow cover is the highest ever mapped, according to NOAA.  However, the database only tracks to 2003.

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/2021-02-17-snow-cover-united-states-most-widespread-since-2003

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2021, 02:36:17 PM »
I, for one, would be happy to see more snow survive the summers.....
The US Declaration of Independence states
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

You have the right to seek happiness, but not necessarily to find it.

Relief from snow for the Lower 48 starts Saturday and spreads North to the Canadian border by Tuesday.

But no relief for Canada.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2021, 04:30:49 PM »
my mother's uncle admitted defeat and returned with his family from central Canada 110 years ago .. 'too cold to bear' he wrote home to his mother . His shame made him volunteer for war and he died in 1916 on the Belgian / French border . b.c.
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2021, 04:39:17 PM »
It looks like it's pleasant in Nova Scotia.  (It was part of "Canada" when I visited as a kid, anyway.)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2021, 05:36:01 PM »
We have officially broken the SWE scale in North America, crossing the 1,400 KM^3 mark!

It looks like we are roughly matching the trajectory in 2018-19.

I wonder how Newfoundland and Nova Scotia's pack will evolve. I could see an early start to spring, or, will the open water allow greater moisture, combining with continental airmasses for major snowfalls in spite of the lack of sea ice in the St. Lawrence and around Newfoundland?

It will be interesting to see the push-pull evolve this season in this region. With all the warmth in the NW NATL, there is certainly a case for an early melt of the low latitude snows in the US / Canada, but will the high latitude +500MB blocking turn the periphery of the Bermuda High into a factory for snow? We shall see.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2021, 07:46:02 PM »
It looks like it's pleasant in Nova Scotia.  (It was part of "Canada" when I visited as a kid, anyway.)

A temporary situation.  The current winter storm is expected to exit the continent right over top of them, bringing cold and snow.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5258
« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2021, 07:57:40 PM »
It's fine here, too (middle of nowhere BC) - this is the lowest amount of snow we've had at this time of year in the 15 years or so that I've been living here.

Also, LOL Comradez - I had the same reaction to that post...  ::)  :o  ;D
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2021, 08:25:25 PM »
It's fine here, too (middle of nowhere BC) - this is the lowest amount of snow we've had at this time of year in the 15 years or so that I've been living here.

Also, LOL Comradez - I had the same reaction to that post...  ::)  :o  ;D
Most of Canada has been pretty dry during this cold event - but when it gets too cold I thought that stopped snow from falling, and the front of the Polar Vortex has mostly been wandering across the Lower 48?

Alphabet Hotel

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 179
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2021, 08:57:20 PM »
We have officially broken the SWE scale in North America, crossing the 1,400 KM^3 mark!

I think much of that is due to snow falling in southerly places where it doesn't usually happen, though. It should melt soon.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 1992
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2021, 10:21:36 PM »
Not often but occasionally:

The more you read about events in Texas, the more you realise how avoidable the problem was.

Three reports have come to light  in 1989, 2003 and 2011 after previous events where severe cold brought the Texas grid to it's knees.

The findings are the same in all of them, instrumentation was not designed, nor protected from the conditions experienced.

I really hope this time lessons are learnt

https://twitter.com/kidstatic/status/1361914812305985538?s=20
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2021, 11:51:43 AM »
What goes up - goes down, especially at lower latitudes in latish February.

Shared Humanity

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2021, 02:20:16 AM »

The more you read about events in Texas, the more you realise how avoidable the problem was.

Three reports have come to light  in 1989, 2003 and 2011 after previous events where severe cold brought the Texas grid to it's knees.

The findings are the same in all of them, instrumentation was not designed, nor protected from the conditions experienced.

It's Texas. They're not big on larnin' down there.  ;)

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2021, 03:47:33 AM »

It's Texas. They're not big on larnin' down there.  ;)

It is not just Texas.  In 2014, Atlanta received 2.5” of snow and the city was brought to a standstill, with estimates of a million people stuck on the highways.  The city did not fare much better during the “blizzard” of 2011.  As far as bad timing goes, the ice storm of 2000 struck during the super bowl. 

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2021, 02:13:45 PM »
What goes up - goes down, especially at lower latitudes in latish February.

Looks like this melt will continue some more (but not so much in Canada)

click images to enlarge

Shared Humanity

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2021, 04:35:11 PM »
Amazing how fast the snow is melting in Chicago. We had nearly 2 feet on the ground. It's dropped by a foot in the past week. Highs in the low 40's through the first week in March should wipe it out.

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2021, 08:20:12 PM »
According to Cryosphere Computing, NH snow cover extent now (2/25) has an anomaly of -0.567 million km^2. 

Above-average temperatures are forecasted over the next 10 days for eastern North America, Europe, and Northern China. 

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2021, 09:56:23 PM »
According to Cryosphere Computing, NH snow cover extent now (2/27) has an anomaly of -0.831 million km^2.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2021, 11:30:57 AM »
North America

While the snow at lower latitudes from the big storm has melted (i.e. mostly in the lower 48) , snow water equivalent has not gone down. That means more snow at high latitudes , i.e. mostly Canada, and average depth also increased.

Eurasia
Gradual reduction in snow cover extent and no reduction in snow water equivalent.

Click to enlarge attached images

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2021, 04:30:41 PM »
According to Cryosphere Computing, NH snow cover extent now (2/28) has a significant anomaly of -1.491 million km^2.

Negative anomalies are now present in all 3 regions (North America, Europe, and Asia).  Very warm temperatures forecasted for the next 10 days for the Great Plains, Europe, and Central Asia.  Will this albedo anomaly end up being a bootstrap for an ahead-of-schedule snow melt season (and thus also a sea ice melt season)?

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2021, 04:12:09 PM »
According to Cryosphere Computing, NH snow cover extent now (3/1) has an anomaly of -1.684 million km^2.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2021, 11:33:18 AM »
The contrast between falling Snow Cover Extent (SCE) and increasing Snow Water Equivalent (SWE) continues to grow.

Once again the question is whether that thicker snow at higher latitudes will slow down snow melt significantly.

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2021, 03:54:17 PM »
According to Cryosphere Computing, NH snow cover extent now (3/3) has an anomaly of -1.784 million km^2. 

Shared Humanity

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2021, 02:04:09 AM »
The contrast between falling Snow Cover Extent (SCE) and increasing Snow Water Equivalent (SWE) continues to grow.

Once again the question is whether that thicker snow at higher latitudes will slow down snow melt significantly.

Don't know the answer to that question but I do think the trends towards higher SWE (mainly in the northern latitudes) and lower SCE (due to less precipitation as snow in the lower latitudes) is here for good.