Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Renewable Energy Transition and Consumption  (Read 87756 times)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1164
  • Likes Given: 435
Re: Renewable Energy Transition and Consumption
« Reply #350 on: April 15, 2023, 03:02:12 PM »
Graphs refs by themselves are meaningless. One needs to (already know or) be able to look behind the curtain and really understand the context and the assumptions behind those graphs and whether or not those are both realistic and feasible in time and space.  …

Meaning, apparently, that you have not taken the time to read and understand the analysis presented at the provided link:

https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/Tesla-Master-Plan-Part-3.pdf

which shows exactly that.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #351 on: April 16, 2023, 04:06:43 AM »

No I am not claiming your opinions are cult thinking.

If you say so. But do take it from me that the opinions of the high priest of extremely mythical capitalist propaganda I mentioned sure is promoting dangerous cult thinking. The exact thing that is killing the arctic sea ice and so on. That it pervades the entire western world doesn't mean it's ok or true. Why no one (?) ever holds him to account for the opinionated distortions and falsehoods and the anti-social harm and environmental destruction those dishonest manipulative psychopathic and deluded beliefs and ideologies have caused, are still causing, seems to be the norm. And yet here you are spending many column inches dressing me down instead which is alarming and sad. The damaging cultic thinking of the dangerous totalitarian mega wealthy elites is quite acceptable here, which is diametrically opposite and contrary to the true and original purpose of this forum (if I understand that correctly.) iow the inmates have taken over the asylum here. Which is a shameful state of affairs.
It's wealth, constantly seeking more wealth, to better seek still more wealth. Building wealth off of destruction. That's what's consuming the world. And is driving humans crazy at the same time.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #352 on: April 16, 2023, 05:44:58 AM »

There's is no need to be paranoid or make assumptions I was talking to you or about your post.

My comments were about the graphs I was posting. Although the comments could be seen as a wise universal approach to take.

Meaning that you seemingly agree with me and the point I was making. Isn't that great!  Now all you need to do is find better quality more credible and accurate sources.  :o

Do get back to me after you have read reviewed and understood the many refs I have provided with the graphs I presented, and can recognize where the significant differences lay to the mystical Tesla version of reality. We could have a good chat about it. Until then, there appears to be nothing for us to discuss or to talk about or share between us.
It's wealth, constantly seeking more wealth, to better seek still more wealth. Building wealth off of destruction. That's what's consuming the world. And is driving humans crazy at the same time.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #353 on: April 16, 2023, 07:10:30 AM »
Blasphemy!
video

Here's a good example outtake @1:06 hrs

Simon Michaux:  So then this is the difficulty. Now what I believe will happen is instead of actually trying to do the impossible there, we will do something else. We're just going to change direction and do something else. And what that something else is, is going to be based on the limitations of what we're looking at. And that is the purpose of my work. Looking at that something else and having discussions around that.

We have a battery thread,
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1150.msg360313.html#msg360313
And it looks like most of it already has been discussed there.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 576
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #354 on: April 16, 2023, 07:30:00 AM »

No I am not claiming your opinions are cult thinking.

If you say so. But do take it from me that the opinions of the high priest of extremely mythical capitalist propaganda I mentioned sure is promoting dangerous cult thinking. The exact thing that is killing the arctic sea ice and so on. That it pervades the entire western world doesn't mean it's ok or true. Why no one (?) ever holds him to account for the opinionated distortions and falsehoods and the anti-social harm and environmental destruction those dishonest manipulative psychopathic and deluded beliefs and ideologies have caused, are still causing, seems to be the norm. And yet here you are spending many column inches dressing me down instead which is alarming and sad. The damaging cultic thinking of the dangerous totalitarian mega wealthy elites is quite acceptable here, which is diametrically opposite and contrary to the true and original purpose of this forum (if I understand that correctly.) iow the inmates have taken over the asylum here. Which is a shameful state of affairs.

Stop putting words in my mouth. You vaguely associate me with a vague someone than pass judgement on those opinions. I defend my own opinions not others.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #355 on: April 16, 2023, 09:53:08 AM »
We have a battery thread,

I know. I looked. I respectfully asked at the very beginning for input if this was the right thread to discuss this much broader subject matter. That ended up being a waste of time.

The discussions in that video above and other materials posted go far beyond the example text I gave (which you are responding to) that happened to be discussing batteries/storage at that particular point. 

The battery thread is not that relevant to the far larger big picture issues and challenges that Michaux is presenting. Most his work would be off-topic on a battery thread and other individual topic threads too. If you would have looked at any of it you would know this.

There will be something in every renewable energy related thread on this forum that might have some 'technology/resources/economic/social/environmental' connection to the material.

I was thinking of sharing it here late last year then decided it would not be welcomed or of any interest by the dominant outspoken posters who rule over this forum. The political section finally motivated me to add something there, so I figured why not seeing I'm here, I can test my hypothesis and post a small bit of this Michaux research. The rest is history. 

"We've already discussed it here before!" :o ??? ::) :-\

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #356 on: April 16, 2023, 10:01:26 AM »
Stop putting words in my mouth. You vaguely associate me with a vague someone than pass judgement on those opinions. I defend my own opinions not others.

Only for clarification and clearing up any confusions here, interstitial, the first time you replied to me was about my comment here  https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,3286.msg364434.html#msg364434  which followed and referred to a post by NeilT re capitalism free markets cultic thinking etc.

I was not (or intending) associating you with my judgments pov. I was speaking to you about 'my opinions' which was the 'topic' of your comment above.

I was not (or intending) putting any words in your mouth, I was referring to my own words, beliefs, and expanding on the theme I was expressing before. A theme that is similar to Hagens and Michaux and not unique at all (semantics word choices aside), but is becoming more and more popular today.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 10:35:58 AM by SeanAU »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 16, 2023, 07:43:05 PM »

Exactly what I thought your response would be. Which is why I posted my graphs — more for the edification of those who value the perspective from the company which is the most valuable and fastest growing leader of today’s Renewable Energy Transition.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #358 on: April 16, 2023, 09:29:03 PM »

Exactly what I thought your response would be. Which is why I posted my graphs — more for the edification of those who value the perspective from the company which is the most valuable and fastest growing leader of today’s Renewable Energy Transition.
I haven't been able to understand yet what SeanAU wants to tell us. The message is so confusing, against FF, against Lithium  against almost everything except Russia and Michaux.
Since I don't have time for videos of more than 10 minutes and Michaux likes to talk more than one hour, I just can wonder but stopped answering.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5312
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #359 on: April 16, 2023, 10:25:05 PM »
They don't teach how to précis in school any more. To do it well is hard work and takes time.
It is a major reason I get irritated by so many of these videos - and I end up shouting at the screen - get to the bloody point!

The renewable energy transition is likely to be a bumpy ride. Here is where I think are a few of the bumps in the next 10? Years :-
- lack of political will and sometime downright hostility (e.g. in the USA),
- successes of fossil fuel funded disinformation campaigns and influence over many politicians (both left and right) dependent on the largesse of the fossil fuel industry,
- financial and economic downturns limiting access to capital,
- slow development of recycling and new battery technology.

When it come to consumption, given that as yet I have not found one country (except possibly Bhutan) not commited to GDP growth as the No #1 Government priority, what will delay / stop ever increasing consumption?
- financial and economic mismanagment  - expect one or more screwups in the next decade.

And just maybe the impacts of climate change will be enough to inflame public opinion to force Governments to act and at the same time cause such economic and financial disruption to reduce the ability to do anything about it.

And for good? bad? luck chuck in another virus, and why not integration of AI into our daily lives everywhere about everything.
pluralprécis prā-ˈsēz  ˈprā-(ˌ)sēz
Synonyms of précis
: a concise summary of essential points, statements, or facts
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #360 on: April 17, 2023, 03:42:44 AM »
    Propaganda (The Art of the Professional Lie)

The skilled exploitation of caustic or surreptitious misinformation, anonymously sourced malinformation, along with smoothed (both simple and authoritative) disinformation, passed selectively from fiat authority to those targeted and under its influence – which is used to harm opposition voices, and to make allied voices appear more credible.

Propaganda exploits the human proclivity towards fear-uncertainty-doubt (FUD), identifying the bad guy in advance (judging intent), and finally the desire for easy and simple answers.

Stupid is as stupid does. Have at it!

Because despite an expansion of scientific knowledge, nonetheless people grow more ignorant and gullible each decade.

Horror videos and Precis
..... and the conga line of other illiterates.

Dear Snowflakes,

If the 4 minute 'precis' video, the 34 minute 'precis' video and the other 'precis/summary/highlights' of the videos, articles, notes, and summaries included on the homepage I gave are not to your liking you could always read his 1000 page report for yourself.

I mean you could even try reviewing the 8 page SUMMARY DOC with pretty graphs provided. But no, it's all just too damn hard.

Take the easy way out and just defer to Tesla's 41 page report and 75 refs that don't support it's claims and assertions and manipulative propaganda the same as Jocobson's and Hausfather's bullshit disinformation.

Ah, for so many of our fellow human beings remaining lazy, ignorant stupid fools is pure bliss.   I have not seen such a large display human stupidity in one place since I was on WUWT well over a decade ago. May 'God' help you all. You seriously are in need of it.

Let's dig down into this for the intelligent sincere observer.

It is just a matter of being able to read properly! But even that is too much to ask of them under most circumstances. It is beyond 'silly.'

There are limits to how much idiocy a decently developed human brain can take without getting grumpy. For me, those borders have been crossed a long time ago. The problem is arising everywhere now.

But there is something else developing that is also somewhat new. When – suddenly – all speak with one voice, then you can be sure that something is wrong.

That knee-jerk responsive “gaslighting and wrongness” is something I've been observing in many venues and issues for a long time now, although often in the obtuse abstract. But now that quality has reached a new level of concreteness permeating all over as if this is the new default position of everyone now.

The collective "dumbness" is off the scale. For the first time in my life, I viscerally fear for humanity. 

[edit 3 into 1]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 05:44:22 AM by SeanAU »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 17, 2023, 08:46:37 AM »

Horror videos and Precis
I am quoted "Horror videos and Precis"

But I have not used that phrase in any post. Naughty.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #362 on: April 17, 2023, 10:01:21 AM »

Horror videos and Precis
I am quoted "Horror videos and Precis"

But I have not used that phrase in any post. Naughty.

It's known as a 'PRÉCIS' - a concise summary of essential points, statements, or facts. Better to be opined naughty than proven stupid.

Youtube videos are an institution of communication flora for many years. TedX , IPCC, climate scientists, philosophers, everyone utilizes the efficient mainstream YouTube and other venues video option. Everyone can see a video option, can either explore it by clicking or scrolling by. Each to their own.

To bitch about youtube videos is equivalent to bitching about convoluted tawdry tables, gifs and mini videos absent an attached 'precis' to explain it to the dull witted ignorant reader.

But the whining bitching about YT by an octogenarian Luddite is 100% obnoxious trolling. Only one warning should be given and if repeated the offender should be suspended for a month for being a disruptive egotistical self-centered childish jack ass. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 10:37:53 AM by SeanAU »

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3593
  • Likes Given: 3987
« Reply #363 on: April 17, 2023, 10:07:16 AM »
When faced with obvious trolling, the only useful answer (barring admin authority) is DNFTT.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1019
  • Likes Given: 1052
« Reply #364 on: April 17, 2023, 11:08:19 AM »
will Neven be handing out trolling awards soon ? May have to up my standard to stand a chance . :)
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

BeeKnees

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 335
« Reply #365 on: April 17, 2023, 11:10:09 AM »
will Neven be handing out trolling awards soon ? May have to up my abuse to stand a chance . :)

I might be in with a shout apparently. 
The Russian State has embarked on a genocide of Ukrainians that is supported by the owner of this forum

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 17, 2023, 12:49:48 PM »
No comment on the above except
- octogenarian? Not yet & maybe never.
- Luddite? Oh well, there is a first tme for everything.

meanwhile...

The IEA (International Energy Agency) is certainly raising its political profile. It will be interesting to see how it resolves its deep relationship with the fossil fuel industries with its growing influence on the renewable energy transition, including work on critical minerals supply and recycling picked up and used by the G7 conference in Sapporo (see next post).
Newsletter of the International Energy Agency
Click here to view in your browser

G7 Ministers draw on our work on energy security and clean energy transitions
Ministers of the G7 group of advanced economies gave strong recognition this weekend to many areas of our work on clean energy transitions and energy security – including critical minerals, energy efficiency, renewables, natural gas, hydrogen, emissions from road transport and coal, and the decarbonisation of heavy industries.

After a two-day meeting in Sapporo under Japan’s 2023 Presidency of the G7, Climate, Energy and Environment Ministers issued a communiqué setting out aims to strengthen energy security and accelerate progress on clean energy transitions. Our analysis and activities were cited throughout the communiqué, covering key areas such as efforts to improve energy efficiency and our recent reports on hydrogen, steel and renewables.

For critical minerals, a major area where international cooperation is needed to ensure secure clean energy transitions, the Ministers committed to a Five-Point Plan for Critical Minerals Security that we will support, including by producing medium- and long-term outlooks for critical minerals demand and supply to help inform decision making.

Our Executive Director Fatih Birol addressed the G7 Ministers on the first day of the Sapporo meeting on key energy and climate issues. He also met bilaterally with Ministers and special envoys from across the G7 nations, as well as from guest countries India (which holds the G20 Presidency), Indonesia (which holds the ASEAN Presidency), and the United Arab Emirates (which holds the COP28 Presidency).

Read more in our news articles on the Ministers’ meeting and communiqué – and on some of the key analysis we contributed under Japan’s G7 Presidency. For more on Dr Birol’s meetings in Sapporo, take a look his Twitter account.
Latest cuts in oil supply risk exacerbating market strains
The latest supply cuts announced by OPEC+ countries on 2 April risk aggravating an expected global oil supply deficit in the second half of the year and boosting oil prices at a time of heightened economic uncertainty – even as industrial activity slows in the world’s largest economies and production growth outside the alliance appears robust.

That’s the assessment of our latest monthly Oil Market Report, which notes that while oil demand in advanced economies has been lower than expected in recent months, slowed by warmer weather and sluggish industrial activity, robust increases in China and elsewhere are providing a strong offset.

Since oil markets were already set to tighten in the second half of the year, the latest cuts risk exacerbating the strains and potential supply deficit, pushing both crude and oil product prices higher. Consumers currently under siege from inflation will suffer even more from higher prices, especially in emerging and developing economies.

Read the report’s overview.
The clean energy economy is emerging faster than you think
Six months ago, our World Energy Outlook 2022 showed that the energy crisis and soaring fuel prices were reshaping the future of global energy, spurring a major response by governments around the world to speed up the deployment of cleaner and more secure alternatives. For the first time, a peak in fossil fuel demand became clearly visible and on track to happen before the end of the 2020s.

But the energy world is changing fast. In a new opinion article published in the Financial Times, our Executive Director highlighted how clean technologies – such as solar, electric cars and heat pumps – are building greater momentum. As a result, our latest data indicates that the peak in fossil fuel demand is moving even closer.

The transformative developments we’re seeing are speeding up the emergence of a new clean energy economy, Dr Birol writes. With this in mind, the push by some companies and governments to build new large-scale fossil fuel projects is not only a bet against the world reaching its climate goals, he says, it is also a risky proposition for investors who want reasonable returns on their capital.

Read the opinion article also on LinkedIn.
Supporting India’s G20 Presidency on energy transitions and development
India’s Presidency of the G20 group of major economies this year is an important opportunity for strengthening international cooperation on energy security, clean energy transitions and sustainable development. IEA experts have been working with the Indian G20 Presidency across several key areas to help drive progress.

Our Energy Modeller Thomas Spencer gave a presentation at the recent G20 Development Working Group meeting in Kerala about our ongoing work in support of India’s Lifestyle for Environment (LiFE) initiative, which aims to encourage the adoption of sustainable lifestyles in India and internationally to tackle the challenges of environmental degradation and climate change. Earlier in April, our Head of Energy Efficiency Brian Motherway spoke in various sessions at the G20 Energy Transitions Working Group meeting in Gujarat, covering a wide range of issues including critical minerals, energy access, future fuels, just transitions and energy efficiency.

Our Executive Director discussed the IEA’s broad support for India’s G20 Presidency during a bilateral meeting Saturday with India’s Minister of Environment, Forest & Climate Change Bhupender Yadav on the sidelines of the G7 Ministers Meeting in Sapporo. He also met with India’s Minister of Commerce and Industry Piyush Goyal in Paris last week where they spoke about a range of topics such as India’s achievements on energy access, deployment of renewables and efficient lighting.

Read our recent report on India’s LiFE initiative.
To keep up with our very latest news and analysis, follow the IEA on social media (LinkedIn, Twitter) as well as our Executive Director Fatih Birol (LinkedIn, Twitter)
Latin America’s opportunity in critical minerals for clean energy
Latin America is an established producer of several minerals essential for clean energy technologies and could build on its well-established mining sector to diversify into new minerals and help the global economy avoid the shortfalls and bottlenecks that could hinder clean energy transitions, according to our recent commentary.

The region already produces large quantities of lithium, which is needed for batteries, and copper and underpins the expansion of renewables and electricity networks. But Latin America could expand into a range of other materials such as rare earth elements that are required for electric vehicle motors and wind turbines, and nickel, a key component in batteries.

However, to reap this potential, mining activities must adhere to high environmental, social and governance standards and also seek ways to generate tangible benefits for local communities.

Read the commentary.
Brazil wants to make an impact on clean energy innovation
Brazil has long been a leader in biofuels and hydropower technologies, and the country is now seeking to expand its energy innovation into new areas such as hydrogen.

For emerging and developing economies – and many other countries with shorter legacies of energy technology innovation – spurring innovation in cost-effective and practical clean energy technologies requires not only simply increasing R&D spending but often also nurturing more supportive innovation systems.

Our recent commentary looks at Brazil’s efforts in this regard, including through IEA support and cooperation.

Read the commentary.
New guidebook aims to help governments improve tracking of electricity access
Universal access to electricity is a critical component to ensuring sustainable and inclusive economic growth. However, many households still lack this fundamental energy service. Last year, the number of people without electricity access, mostly in Sub-Saharan Africa, rose to 775 million, marking the first increase in decades.

This reversal brings into sharp focus how governments are falling short in their efforts to meet a key sustainable development goal agreed by the United Nations in 2015 to protect society’s most vulnerable. The UN Sustainable Development Goal 7 is to “ensure access to affordable, reliable and modern energy for all by 2030”.

Our new Guidebook for Improved Electricity Access Statistics aims to help governments improve data tracking on this critical issue. Today, most countries without universal electricity access only track key access data periodically, and often with substantial time lags. The guidebook outlines step-by-step how countries can achieve more up-to-date and frequent tracking by using readily available data from power companies and other sources.

Read our article about the guidebook and explore the report itself.
ENERGY SNAPSHOT
Latin America's share in the production and reserves of selected minerals, 2021
Latin America accounts for 40% of global production of copper and 35% of lithium production. In addition, the region has significant potential in graphite, nickel, manganese and rare earth elements production. Read our recent commentary for more on Latin America’s opportunity in critical minerals for the clean energy transition.
WHAT WE'RE READING & LISTENING TO
Clean energy is moving faster than you think [Financial Times]
OPEC+ cuts risk oil supply deficit, threaten economic recovery [Reuters]
Differing national clean hydrogen standards may become a barrier to international H2 trade [Hydrogen Insight]
Een oliebaas als voorzitter van de klimaattop? De directeur van het Internationaal Energieagentschap snapt de zorgen [Trouw]
The IEA’s outlook for global energy markets and the energy transition [Energy Connects Podcast]
COMING UP
17-21 April: Energy Efficiency Policy in Emerging Economies Training Week
19 April: Australia 2023: Energy Policy Review
26 April: Global EV Outlook 2023
27 April: New Zealand 2023: Energy Policy Review 
27 April: Greece 2023: Energy Policy Review
Late May: Renewables Market Update
2 June: World Energy Investment 2023
6-8 June: Global Conference on Energy Efficiency

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 17, 2023, 01:02:08 PM »
The G7 has come up with this on critical minerals. How much will stay just words and how much will become real action will emerge in the future. (The G20 were there as well, but not China?)

Annex to the Climate, Energy and Environment Ministers’ Communiqué
Five-Point Plan for Critical Minerals Security
Excerpt from the Communiqué
72. Critical Minerals: We reaffirm the growing importance of critical minerals for the
clean energy transition and the need to prevent economic and security risks caused
by vulnerable supply chains, monopolization, lack of diversification of existing
suppliers of critical minerals. We affirm that strong environmental, social and
governance (ESG) standards are vital for creating responsible and resilient critical
minerals supply chains, ensuring local communities’ benefit, advancing innovation
and competitiveness, and respecting human dignity as well as human rights, while
minimizing environmental footprints. We are committed to supporting open,
transparent, rules- and market-based trade in critical minerals with traceability,
opposing market-distorting measures and monopolistic policies on critical minerals,
and promoting dialogues between extraction, producer and consumer countries. As
the key enabler to overcome our challenges, we are committed to implement the
“Five-Point Plan for Critical Mineral Security” as annexed.

Point 1: Forecast Long-term Supply and Demand
We come up with a plausible forecast on the medium- and long-term supply-demand
for critical minerals based on expertise from both mining, producing and consuming
industries, and to examine whether any additional measures are necessary. To facilitate
this work, we request the IEA establish an internal task force and undertake the analysis
and verification in collaboration with the IEA’s Working Party on Critical Minerals.

Point 2: Develop Resources and Supply Chains Responsibly
We boost up developing new mines and supply chains for critical minerals in a
responsible manner that promotes transparency and traceability to meet the rising
demand. We explore ways to cooperatively support acquisition of critical minerals as
competition for these scarce resources become more intense, and support pioneering
efforts of initiatives such as the Partnership for Global Infrastructure Investment (PGII)
and the Minerals Security Partnership (MSP), in which like-minded countries are working
together on specific mining, processing and refining projects, and enhance international
co-investments. We further note initiatives such as the Sustainable Critical Minerals
Alliance led by Canada and the Critical Raw Materials Club recently proposed by the
European Union. We also affirm the importance of technological innovation in the
mining and smelting sectors, including tailing reuse, and agree to continue technical
exchanges by using available fora such as the Conference on Critical Materials and
Minerals.
We explore ways in which each country’s fiscal support measures can be used for
international co-investments such as MSP and promote private sector investment on the
premise of high ESG standards. Currently 13-billion-US-dollar fiscal support that can be
used for domestic and foreign projects is prepared across the G7 countries. We also work
closely with public financial institutions to formulate coordinated projects with high ESG
standards.

Point 3: Recycle More and Share Capabilities
Recognizing the need to promote recycling of critical minerals at the global level, we
will consider the establishment of initiatives, using available fora such as the MSP, to
facilitate the environmentally sound management of e-Waste (electrical and electronic
waste) and recycling among developing countries and like-minded countries with
advanced, environmentally sound facilities, including smelting facilities.
We recognize that a similar approach to recycling of e-Waste as mentioned above can
be applied to the future recycling of used lithium-ion batteries and neodymium magnets,
which will be discarded in huge quantities due to the scrapping of EVs, etc.
We also reaffirm that the importance of establishing domestic recycle chains with the
best available technologies (BAT) and fostering recycling capacities for recyclable
materials such as e-Waste and used Lithium-ion batteries and neodymium magnets,
based on the industrial situation of each country.

Point 4: Save with Innovations
We promote innovations in resource-saving and substitute technologies for critical
minerals based on the industrial situation of each country and will continue using
available fora such as the Conference on Critical Materials and Minerals to exchange
information on R&D activities among like-minded countries. We propose the Conference
expanding its membership to all G7 countries and make it a closer framework for sharing
information on critical mineral policies and its technologies that include former mention
in Point 2 among the G7+ including Australia.

Point 5: Prepare for Supply Disruptions
We support the IEA’s consideration of "Voluntary Critical Mineral Security Program"
to prepare for short-term supply disruptions of critical minerals and provide necessary
information to the IEA. The above-mentioned IEA’s task force could deal with these
activities as well

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #368 on: April 17, 2023, 01:16:00 PM »
When faced with obvious trolling, the only useful answer (barring admin authority) is DNFTT.

So true. I must stop feeding the stupid trolls.

Age is a state of mind.  :o

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2058
  • Likes Given: 1996
« Reply #369 on: April 17, 2023, 04:29:03 PM »
SeanAU:
Talking about your own discussion is automatically off topic.
Attack the points not the posters.

And despite a lot of talking you still have not made your point clear. If you would actually state what it is you think that alone could simplify the discussion.

Short version: post something on topic without insults.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 17, 2023, 07:57:56 PM »
States and towns consider banning gas-powered leaf blowers and lawn mowers
Mon, April 17, 2023
… They are part of a decentralized nationwide movement that has seen more than 100 local governments — including four towns in New Jersey and Washington, D.C. — enact at least partial bans on gas-powered leaf blower use in recent years. (Some bans are seasonal, allowing use at peak-leaf times of year.) In October 2021, California passed a law requiring that all small off-road engines used in the state be zero-emissions by 2024. In practice, that means only electric lawn tools will be allowed.

As spring gardening season starts, other state legislatures, including New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island, are currently considering similar proposals, as are local governments from Dallas to South Portland, Maine.

“I’m focused on how do we take as much of those harmful particulates out of our atmosphere as we can,” Dallas City Council member Paula Blackmon told Yahoo News. Blackmon, who has a son with asthma, has been working on a proposal to reduce use of gas-powered lawn equipment to mitigate Dallas’s air pollution, which she hopes will be discussed in the council by August. Blackmon also mentioned noise — and its increased noticeability since the rise of remote work — as an impetus.

But her efforts, like those of Kraus’s group, are geared toward replacing gas-powered lawn equipment such as mowers, leaf blowers, chain saws, edge trimmers and weed whackers with electric models, which are quieter but not noise-free, rather than banning leaf blowers altogether. Gas blowers run from 80 to 90 decibels, versus 59 to 70 decibels for electric blowers, according to the website LeafScore.

The environmental benefits of going electric are substantial. Since gas-powered lawn tools lack catalytic converters, which lower emissions and are used in cars and trucks, using a gas-powered leaf blower for an hour creates as much climate pollution as driving 300 miles in an average car, according to the California Air Resources Board. And because leaf blowers typically use especially fuel-hungry two-stroke engines, running a gas leaf blower for an hour is equal to an 1,100-mile drive.

According to the Smart Energy Design Assistance Center at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, gas mowers emit 16 times as much planet-warming carbon dioxide per acre as electric mowers. Even in places where the electricity grid is mostly powered by fossil fuels, the discrepancy is huge because gas-powered mowers use an estimated 13.7 times as much energy as electric models. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, gas-burning lawn tools account for 4% of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions. They are also a major source of conventional air pollutants that increase risk of respiratory illnesses, including 17% of all volatile organic compound emissions and 12% of nitrogen oxide emissions.

“The co-pollutants, on top of the climate pollutants, are really a health hazard both for the people who work on them and the people who live near where they’re being used,” Assembly Member Pete Harckham, a Democrat from New York City’s northern suburbs, told Yahoo News. He has proposed a law that would ban gas-powered lawn equipment sales one year after passage and ban their use after four years. …
https://www.yahoo.com/news/states-and-towns-consider-banning-gas-powered-leaf-blowers-and-lawn-mowers-155805411.html

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #371 on: April 18, 2023, 12:14:06 PM »
SeanAU:
Talking about your own discussion is automatically off topic.
Attack the points not the posters.

And despite a lot of talking you still have not made your point clear. If you would actually state what it is you think that alone could simplify the discussion.

Short version: post something on topic without insults.

I have addressed these matters directly and privately with kassy. Providing copious quotes and links. I will wait and see how that goes. And if kassy gives permission for me to post it publicly in full here, or not.

Now I will simply address two points specifically, seeing there is such incredible interest in them and what I think. Only heaven knows why.

1) Unless and until I decide to share what I think about any matter, on any topic thread, it is nobodies business. My thoughts are mine, not yours. I will be the one choosing if and when I might share them. Not kassy nor the other people on this thread and website.

2) I do not "have a point to make clear". I have been open, upfront and clear from the get go on this thread stating precisely what my purpose was. I included it plain as day in my first post regarding Michaux's material and research. There is nothing to "clear up". Nothing.

If kassy or anyone else is interested in what was clearly stated on April 11, 2023

Go read it: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,3286.msg364250.html#msg364250 

As kassy keeps on stating - I am not the topic of discussion - If I am then it is Off-Topic!

You can try, but you cannot have it both ways!

I have nothing to add. Work it out for yourselves. I am not obligated to say or do anything. 

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 18, 2023, 05:17:55 PM »
Now I will simply address two points specifically, seeing there is such incredible interest in them and what I think. Only heaven knows why.

1) Unless and until I decide to share what I think about any matter, on any topic thread, it is nobodies business. My thoughts are mine, not yours. I will be the one choosing if and when I might share them. Not kassy nor the other people on this thread and website.

2) I do not "have a point to make clear". I have been open, upfront and clear from the get go on this thread stating precisely what my purpose was. I included it plain as day in my first post regarding Michaux's material and research. There is nothing to "clear up". Nothing.

About number 1: Basically a forum is just a text based conversation. And they start with clear points. You have a certain opinion and you should be able to argue it, that is the whole point.
You use thoughts to make your opinion so whenever you express those you reveal bits of them.

About 2: So your point is you are into this Michaux persons research. It is not that hard to summarize that in one short sentence and then discuss the simple principles which follow from the conclusion.

But what follows from that? Can we not do it at all, should we do something extra like address excess waste in the system?
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #373 on: April 19, 2023, 03:36:15 AM »

About number 1: Basically a forum is just a text based conversation. And they start with clear points. You have a certain opinion and you should be able to argue it, that is the whole point.
You use thoughts to make your opinion so whenever you express those you reveal bits of them.

About 2: So your point is you are into this Michaux persons research. It is not that hard to summarize that in one short sentence and then discuss the simple principles which follow from the conclusion.

But what follows from that? Can we not do it at all, should we do something extra like address excess waste in the system?

YOU are projecting YOUR OWN muddled incoherent conflicted values and your unrealistic irrational expectations onto me. Please stop. Instead, read the details in my messages to you.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 19, 2023, 04:15:45 PM »
On a much more general note it should be rather clear that the transition is not as easy as some comments would have us belief.

Electrification push will have enormous impacts on critical metals supply chain

The demand for battery-grade lithium, nickel, cobalt, manganese and platinum will climb steeply as vehicle electrification speeds up and nations work to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through mid-century. This surge in demand will also create a variety of economic and supply-chain problems, according to new Cornell University research published in Nature Communications.

In the new paper, senior author Fengqi You, professor in energy systems engineering, and his colleagues examined 48 countries that are committed to playing a strong role in electrifying transportation, including the U.S., China and India.

Under a scenario where 40% of vehicles are electric by 2050, the need for lithium globally will increase 2,909% from the 2020 level. If 100% of vehicles are electric by 2050, the need for lithium more than doubles, to 7,513%.

From the years 2010 to 2050, in a scenario where all vehicles are electric, the annual demand for lithium would increase globally from 747 metric tons to 2.2 million metric tons.

By mid-century, for example, the demand for nickel eclipses other critical metals, as the global need ranges from 2 million metric tons, where 40% of vehicles are electric, to 5.2 million metric tons where all vehicles are electric.

The annual demand for cobalt (ranging from 0.3 to 0.8 million metric tons) and manganese (ranging from 0.2 to 0.5 million metric tons) will rise by the same order of magnitude in 2050, according to the paper.

Currently, critical metals and minerals are centralized in politically unstable Chile, Congo, Indonesia, Brazil, Argentina and South Africa, according to the World Bank.

"The unstable supplies of critical metals and minerals can exacerbate supply risks under surging demand," You said.

In the paper, the researchers urge caution on the electrification of heavy-duty vehicles, which require more critical metals than other vehicles. Although they account for only between 4% and 11% of the total road fleet in some countries, battery-related critical metals used in heavy-duty electric vehicles will account for 62% of the critical metal demand in the decades ahead.

Among the researchers' suggestions for managing this demand:

Constructing a circular economy would be indispensable to the critical metals if it achieved a closed-loop supply chain in the future. Strategies should be considered to promote the recycling efficiency and recovery rate of end-of-life batteries at a proper pace.
Countries should adopt policies that prioritize alternative designs for cathodes/anodes and fuel-cell (green hydrogen) systems to reduce the reliance on primary critical metals.
Decarbonization targets for road transportation should be coupled with electric vehicle deployment, the timing of carbon peak and neutrality, and accurate emission budgets.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/04/230411150534.htm

John Batteen

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #375 on: April 19, 2023, 10:08:46 PM »
The whole point of a forum is to have discussions and share thoughts.  If you have no thoughts to share and no points to make, what are you doing here?  Setting out to prove to yourself how smart you are in the most cryptic and confusing way possible?

I watched the Michaux video.  Sounds like every complaint about renewable energy I've ever heard.  It will be hard, and there will be challenges, therefor it's impossible.  Try complaining some more, see if that helps.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #376 on: April 20, 2023, 03:48:01 AM »
On a much more general note it should be rather clear that the transition is not as easy as some comments would have us belief.

Electrification push will have enormous impacts on critical metals supply chain

Oh really? Who knew? What a surprise. What a shock. What a waste of time.

Given you have already been provided the far superior Tesla Master Plan analysis which is The Final Word on the topic, obviously!

"Meaning, apparently, that you have not taken the time to read and understand the analysis presented at the provided link:" https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/Tesla-Master-Plan-Part-3.pdf

You should not only Read it and accept all of it as the Gospel Truth, but you need to understand there is no other way to see Reality. None.

Please get with The Forum's Brainwashing Program immediately. You have been warned!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 08:30:40 AM by SeanAU »

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #377 on: April 20, 2023, 10:57:02 AM »
This forum and the hundreds to thousands of others historically were created to also SHARE INFORMATION and LINKS/REFERENCES to SCIENTIFIC PAPERS and NEWS REPORTS.

It is obvious and undeniable that many of those doing so DID NOT simultaneously state what their OPINION was about what they Shared. They also did not automatically provide a Summary of the content either.

Many would not say a word about what they posted, except maybe a short simple description or Title of what it was.

They would not automatically share their own personal THOUGHTS or OPINIONS nor seek to ENGAGE IN ANY DISCUSSIONS about the Items being shared.

This is all undeniably true. 

The simple act of posting a link to material does not by default mean the user agrees with the Content on the other end of that Link. Far from it.

This is undeniably true too. Only drunks and fools would deny these things are true.   

Here on the Arctic Sea Ice forum there are literally thousands of instances easily found, including recently, where people who wish to SHARE some Information they have/know of will post URLS, Videos, links to research papers, Upload to the ASI forum IMAGES, GIFS, Graphics, and Data Tables about the Arctic Sea Ice here all the time.

And they do not say a single word about them bar describing what the item is or the title of a file.

Long term poster Sidd for example he has posted hundreds of links and short "quotes" to News Reports and does not say a word about them. He does NOT automatically tell anyone what his personal Opinion is about any of them most of the time.

More than that SIDD DOES NOT ALWAYS RESPOND when others want to "discuss" the matter with SIDD, or ask him a direct question.  He is like this wherever he goes.

So there are a few examples where this distorted notion that everyone MUST have an Opinion about what they Post, and that they MUST Share their Opinion with everyone, or else, about what the "information" means to them, is in fact a complete FANTASY.

It's a blatant delusional LIE.

The Help section states:
Posting - The whole point of a forum, posting allows users to express themselves.

It does not say the whole point is to express themselves in the Manner that kassy and others DEMAND USERS MUST EXPRESS THEMSELVES.

That is MY Choice, not anyone else's. My Refusal to have any "Certain Opinion" about Michaux's research is ME Expressing Myself as Myself

If you do not like that then get stuffed. Not my problem, as I have said here all along.

ME expressing myself is Posting the material links and providing some example content. That is it. 

No where do I find a MODERATION / STANDARD RULE which says all Users MUST summarize their Opinion on a Topic in One Single Sentence On Demand! 

No where do I find anywhere a Rule saying that Users MUST HAVE a CERTAIN OPINION about what they are posting to the forum, be it reports, science papers, images, tables, Gigs or Jokes.

No where does it say that. Only here on this thread is that said. BY kassy and few other very muddled people.   

Me Expressing Myself is intentionally NOT DISCUSSING this material with people who are 1) Abusive Trolls, 2) Liars 3) Attacking me with ludicrous untrue accusations and 4) who do not respect me at all.

No one rational and well balanced is interested in conversing with, encouraging, or debating with Abusive Aggressive Insulting and Threatening Totalitarian Vipers. Moderators especially included! 

Why would any sane person like me want to discuss anything with someone like that here who have ZERO Respect for me? I certainly do not. And will not. Certainly not "seriously".

Thankfully there are a few decent respectful people left on this forum who are worth talking to and discussing ideas with. None of them are present on this thread, however etienne came close a couple of times.

Furthermore good discussions cannot be had when effective and balanced ethical moderation is non-existent. Because it means that the inmates are in charge of the asylum here.

So do enjoy your grandiose transition to replacing all fossil fuel energy. Gosh why not start celebrating now it's all so certain to become as true as Net Zero in 2050 and Musk heading to Mars is.  :o

That was me Expressing Myself on a Forum, in case you didn't notice that fine subtle point.

kassy may claim this is Off-Topic but that would also be a lie. Because of the overwhelming evidence of everyone else on this thread talking about the exact same things and they are not being told they are Off-Topic nor have they been public held to account for Attacking and Trolling me and the material I posted here.

My apologies for being so rational, accurate, and ethical all at the same time. I realize it causes all manner of Cognitive Dissonance emotional effects for other Users. Not my problem. Tough.  :o

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #378 on: April 20, 2023, 11:34:48 AM »
Because it fits perfectly :

“Universal literacy was supposed to educate the common man to control his environment. Once he could read and write he would have a mind fit to rule. So ran the democratic doctrine. But instead of a mind, universal literacy has given him rubber stamps, rubber stamps inked with advertising slogans, with editorials, with published scientific data, with the trivialities of the tabloids and the platitudes of history, but quite innocent of original thought. Each man's rubber stamps are the duplicates of millions of others, so that when those millions are exposed to the same stimuli, all receive identical imprints. It may seem an exaggeration to say that the American public gets most of its ideas in this wholesale fashion. The mechanism by which ideas are disseminated on a large scale is propaganda, in the broad sense of an organized effort to spread a particular belief or doctrine.”

― Edward L. Bernays, Propaganda
(S. Freud's nephew)

This is not an attack on education. What Bernays is saying that is that just because you can read does not mean you can think. In his book he makes a distinction between literacy as an ideal and its use— along with the media— as a tool for social control.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 494
« Reply #379 on: April 20, 2023, 02:06:56 PM »
While forums were set up to "share information," many are used to push a particular point of view.  Propaganda can be a bigger tool than the truth, although once someone knows the truth, propaganda no longer as any effect (on them).  Goebbels knew this quite well. 

In science, we rarely "know" the truth, but rather seek to uncover the truth through research, discovery, and discussions with others.  This involves the discussion of ideas that run counter to the collective.  While many minority beliefs have been discounted (i.e. cold fusion), others have become prominent and well rewarded (bacteria-causing ulcers). 

Many posters here have their "opinion" as to causes and future effects.  If someone objects to those opinions, they "should" post their reason(s) why they object, and preferrably link to supporting information.  Yes, this forum is highly supportive of AGW and leans heavliy towards the more extreme effects.  Those posters who respond most negatively to that premise, seem to disapear from the forum.  This is excuse as removing propagandists, but I would prefer to see any opposing views tested through fire, rather than opinion.  Anyone continuing to post thoroughly discredited opinions, will be viewed as such.  Predictions are much harder to discredit, especially the further into the future they occur. 

"The truth shall set you free."

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #380 on: April 21, 2023, 04:48:13 AM »
"The truth shall set you free."

Not necessarily. It can also get you fired, arrested, imprisoned, or banned from social media platforms and here. And "run out of town."

Still, the exceptions do prove the rule.

From 3 years ago I quote:

And yet global oil production has increased every year for the past decade.

At higher energy costs.

What ralfy said was the god's honest truth. Didn't help him much.

While global oil production was increasing the number of wells being pumped was increasing much much more. Including in Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states. Wells were needing to be drilled longer and deeper. The well pressure and oil supply potential was decreasing annually.

This led to higher and higher energy costs to drill for that oil and also to extract it, ie pump it out.

Now on top of this the higher oil production was being built on the back of Alberta Tar sands production and the then past plans (stop/start) to build massive pipelines into the US for refining and increasing US gasoline exports. Also the massive financial driven expansion of shale oil extraction at extremely high energy costs plus financial costs boosted global oil production than what it would otherwise be.

Both the above methods are extremely damaging to the environment and underground geological stability threatening long term ground water availability feeding into fresh water springs feeding creeks and rivers as well as farming communities.   

Increased costs can go far beyond energy costs and financial costs. Finally shale oil wells are known as very shirt term oil production supply compared to the traditional oil wells of texts and Saudi Arabia.

Whilst this was happening over the last 10-20 years another thing happened. New oil discoveries have decreased several fold and those new sites discovered have very low oil resource supply potential. This is across the board. This is another additional case of increasing energy costs and financial costs for rapidly diminishing returns.

Now I add an knowledge update on what the Oil Production supply appeared like in 2020. Today the numbers show that global oil production has been decreasing constantly since 2018 - not increasing.

What has increased exponentially has been the use of Methane Gas to produce Liquid Fuels, gasoline and mainly diesel fuel. It's a HIGH ENERGY use chemical refining process which again is multiple times more financially expensive than the Oil being pumped out of Saudi Arabia and Russia much more cheaply.

The Covid economic downturn has impacted Oil consumption and production, to what degree is unclear. 2023 is the first full year not impacted by Covid (so far). People looking at these matters are waiting to see out the end of the year to get a 2023 Global Oil Production number and see if it is higher or lower than 2018. If it is lower then the likely conclusion is that 2018 represents hitting Peak Oil. The implications of which is dire in the short term and catastrophic in the longer term.

The whole edifice of the US economy and elites wealthy materialist "lifestyles", including it's Services, Banking, Finalization, Agriculture, and Media/IT sectors totally relies on a relatively Cheap Stable Oil Supply. So does any expansion of rebuild-able (renewable) energy infrastructure now and decades ahead plus the maintenance of it's MIC and sustaining it's Global Military Forces.

One of the Big Myths out there is that when a big mouthed US President publicly demands that Saudi Arabia and OPEC increase production that that is actually humanly and technically possible. It isn't. They can pretend to blame OPEC members and crank up the Military threats for public consumption but that ship has left the dock long ago.

Oil producers are maxed out in how much they can extract and the rate at which can extract it. The Company Return on Investment is falling over a cliff. There no new "windfall" Oil discoveries being found. All of them a multiple times more expensive to extract than all the prior "discoveries" have been.

There is no Dial left for Oil Producing Nations or the Multinational Oil companies for cranking up their Oil production. There are Limits and they have hit them. That is why the Oil Man Dick Cheney was a key player in the early 2000s to crank up US Shale Oil fracking industry and get pipelines built from Alberta asap because they knew this. The whole Industry knows this.

But what was started done 20 years ago too has it's limits and they are being hit rapidly. There are no more underground Shale Oil resources in the US to be Discovered so they can "drill baby drill."   

That party is almost over as costs continue to surge in last ditch efforts to drain last ounce of Oil out of the ground. What lack of supply hasn't killed the financial costs and interest rates have put them out of business as being Uneconomical to Drill or Pump out.

And so behind Ralfy's 4 simple words "At higher energy costs."  was an enormous amount of detailed accurate and well informed knowledge and the Truth.

He was also saying True things like "What you need to look at is not price but energy cost, energy return on energy invested, and net energy."

Why would you people and the moderators "run out of town" good decent intelligent people like ralfy telling you the Truth out of your forum is the question?

Oren the Moderator does not get it, does not know much at all: Wouldn't recognize the Truth if it hit him in the face with the force of a sledge hammer - the only thing Oren can is SLEDGE people far wiser and more knowledgeable than he ever will be. Look >
snipped
With your insistence on ignoring any argument whatsoever and repeating your own arguments over and over regardless of their relevance, no wonder you are considered a troll by many.
If one wishes a monologue rather than a dialogue, I guess a forum is not the most appropriate vehicle.

kassy knows no better:
The claim that EROI cannot be assigned to renewables is utter nonsense. You need energy to extract minerals, process them, manufacture components, and ship them.

I think it is wrong to think in these economic terms because they are actually wrong.

Another case of being incapable of seeing and hearing what is being said and why it matters. Like a broken record kassy just keeps spinning round and round regurgitating the same tired "propaganda" and "disinformation".  Screw real facts and the Truth of it.

Then after ralfy had already said he was leaving kassy comes in with the boot:
There are some interesting points in there but rehashing the same argument does not really help.

So ralfy would it be fair to classify your position as ´it is not possible?´

If (it) helps those who counter what I said rehash the same wrong points. That is,

As for your question, I answered that in great detail in previous posts.

Well looking at the great detail in said posts it seems you say it is not possible because you look at it from a peak oil way (because people hate to lose time invested they love to cling to old stuff, works much better with music btw).

We know were you stand so you do not have to repeat the same stuff.

Meaning: YOU SHUT UP. Go Away. I refuse to listen to you. I already "Know It All" !!!

Why? ..... because kassy hates to lose the time they've invested, because kassy loves to cling to the old stuff, so it has to be 'Get Lost ralfy'!

kassy, oren et al have absolutely no genuine interest in real discussions or the sharing of solid scientific research on this forum. They are both Fakes aka Social Skeptics who engage in disinformation, propaganda, unintelligent mysticism, are anti-science, and who engage in the intimidation and abusive Coercive Control of ~1800 people.

The demand is CONFORMITY. You will Comply with this Diktat or we will hound and harass you. We will accuse you every Fault possible until you either react badly, then we can Ban you, or you simply give up and leave.

Welcome to the Arctic Sea Ice Forum - We are all friends here. Please be Respectful of Others. 
With the exceptions of those people we Disagree with who it is OK to Attack and Abuse relentlessly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is (Fake) Social Skepticism?

/philosophy : pseudoscience : rhetoric : sophistry/ :

1. a form of social activism which seeks abuse of science through a masquerade of its underlying philosophical vulnerability, skepticism.

An imperious set of political, social, and religious beliefs which proliferate through teaching weaponized fake skepticism to useful idiots. Agency which actively seeks to foment conflict between science and the lay public, which then exploits such conflict to bolster its celebrity and influence.

2. a form of weaponized philosophy which masquerades as science, science enthusiasm, or science communication.

Social skepticism enforces specific conclusions and obfuscates competing ideas via a methodical and heavy-handed science embargo.
It promotes charades of critical thought, self aggrandizement and is often chartered to defend corporate/Marxist agendas; all while maintaining a high priority of falsely impugning eschewed individuals and topics.

Its philosophies and conclusions are imposed through intimidation on the part of its cabal and cast of dark actors, and are enacted in lieu of and through bypassing actual scientific method.

One of the gravest weaknesses of human civilization is its crippling and unaccountable bent toward social coercion. This form of oppression disparages courage and curiosity inside the very arenas where they are most sorely needed.

https://theethicalskeptic.com/2012/05/01/what-is-social-skepticism/

John Batteen

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 21, 2023, 08:29:36 PM »
I've been following along for a while and honest to god I cannot figure out what points you are trying to make, SeanAU.  You'll say how other people are wrong about this or that, OK, so what's correct then?  What are you trying to say?

Frankly I'm receptive to your commentary on EROI, I want to hear your complete thoughts on the matter.  If you had the magic wand, where do we go from here as a society?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 21, 2023, 11:25:06 PM »
The first part i agree with.

Then there is the central question: if you know the resource you know and love is running out should you maybe plan for the next best thing?

At the time there was a meme which went look we are running out of fossil fuels so we do not have the energy for the transition and his posts mostly were in that vein.

I still stand by my statement that most economics are useless. It is mainly reporting of growth which will stop a some time. We have this problem with greenhouse gasses while we are also running out of top soil and water.

Meanwhile you seem preoccupied with our discourse without any opinion on the subject matter itself, why would that be?

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #383 on: April 23, 2023, 03:44:33 AM »
The main cause of problems in understanding what is going on, what are the real underlying problems, is the knowledge deficit. It's my favourite new phrase.

You cannot separate out, nor cherry pick Policy and Solutions Topics while ignoring discarding the overwhelming role of Politics (geopolitics & empire) and Banking and the Media etc from discussions. It's Impossible.

Well, yes you do that here, but it will never work or get you anywhere by going in circles. That's what is impossible.  You cannot discuss "solutions" for RE while simultaneously ignoring pretending and denying fossil fue energy and extraction are intricately directly connected to everything about RE.

The Arctic Sea Ice 'problem' is essentially a Political issue.

Therefore by default it is a Cultural and more so a deeply Moral and Ethical issue.

Not a technical nor a scientific one.

Wailing at Oil, Gas and Coal companies for being 'evil', as if they are to blame when they are not,  demanding they stop digging up fossil fuels out of the ground, is insane.

It has solved nothing and will continue to solve nothing.

Meanwhile you seem preoccupied with our discourse without any opinion on the subject matter itself, why would that be?

Because you're very confused. Appearances can be and are self-deceiving

And Discourse? Odd way to put it.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #384 on: April 23, 2023, 03:48:30 AM »
There are no more underground Shale Oil resources in the US to be Discovered so they can "drill baby drill."

Guess where the last truly huge untapped underground Shale Oil resources are.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 654
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #385 on: April 23, 2023, 04:09:15 AM »
There are no more underground Shale Oil resources in the US to be Discovered so they can "drill baby drill."

Guess where the last truly huge untapped underground Shale Oil resources are.

Only if it makes economic sense.... and given the cheapening of renewables, that is unlikely to happen... or if it does, it will be a short, sharp last money grab.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #386 on: April 23, 2023, 01:46:02 PM »
Much research is being done which touches on interrelated subject matters from different angles approaches. While this is on the surface looking at "economic issues" it simultaneously speaks to energy use and RE transition tangentially. imo arriving at the same future challenges n end points but from different pathways modalities. And so to me it's on-topic and related, maybe others may find it an interesting perspective too. I was following these guys along with many others years ago but in recent years I've let it all slide.

Lotka's wheel and the long arm of history: how does the distant past determine today's global rate of energy consumption?
Timothy J. Garrett, Matheus R. Grasselli, and Stephen Keen

Abstract
Global economic production – the world gross domestic product (GDP) – has been rising steadily relative to global primary energy demands, lending hope that technological advances can drive a gradual decoupling of society from its resource needs and associated environmental pollution. [...]  If so, environmental impacts will remain strongly tethered to even quite distant past economic production – an unchangeable quantity. As for the current economy, it will not in fact decouple from its resource needs. Instead, simply maintaining existing levels of world inflation-adjusted economic production will require sustaining growth of energy consumption at current rates.

[...] (an example of content)
The crux of this historical valuation problem is critical for judgments of the value of economic models for predicting our future. It appears that the long-distant or even fairly recent contributions of humanity to politics, science, athletics, architecture, and language are implicitly ignored in traditional economic accounting. Perhaps this is simply because historically important innovations – such as controlled combustion or the alphabet – cannot be monetized on the open market, even though without them most modern infrastructure for wealth generation would collapse. Like “dark matter” in astronomy that cannot be seen but is known to be the bulk of our universe, there also appears to be a “dark value” in economics.

T. Piketty describes the issue well:All wealth creation depends on the social division of labor and on the intellectual capital accumulated over the entire course of human history”; “the total value of public and private capital, evaluated in terms of market prices for national accounting purposes, constitutes only a tiny part of what humanity actually values - namely, the part that the community had chosen (rightly or wrongly) to exploit through economic transactions in the marketplace” (Piketty, 2020).

The contribution of the distant past points to the critical importance of considering societal inertia. Here, we showed that historically cumulative production W is a full order of magnitude larger than capital K as valued by current markets and should therefore be expected to be equally less resistant to change. The finding that W and E maintain a fixed scaling is thus important as it indicates that energy consumption is required not just to sustain that which we believe is potentially available to be sold today – that which loses value within years – but also the unspoken “dark value” of that which was previously produced, forming the foundations of human culture, and which cannot be easily erased.

There are important analogs in the biological and physical world that may provide a useful guide to economic growth theory. For the analogy of Lotka's wheel, the energy of rotation is the product of its mass and the square of its radius and rotational frequency, all quantities that increase through a cumulative history of positive material and energetic increments. In a cloud, a snow crystal grows through the diffusion of vapor molecules; current vapor consumption depends on the reach of the crystal branches into the surrounding vapor field, insofar as the branches have built upon a prior accumulation of condensed vapor residing within the unexposed crystal interior (Lamb and Verlinde, 2011). The leaves of a deciduous tree enable photosynthesis that fuels fluid circulations through the exterior sapwood; the leaves die seasonally as the sapwood turns into heartwood that, while not actively connected to a larger rejuvenated leaf crown in the following year, structurally supports it (Shinozaki et al., 1964; Oohata and Shinozaki, 1979).

Systems may even undergo quite dramatic changes in character while maintaining at all stages a dependence on previously consumptive states, such as with the succession of species that occurs during development of new forest following a major disturbance (Oliver, 1980). Inevitably growth includes loss through friction for a wheel, evaporation or breakup for a snow crystal, and disease and predation for a tree or forest. But, in all cases, historical past consumption is the primary determinant of the system's current energetic demands.

https://esd.copernicus.org/articles/13/1021/2022/esd-13-1021-2022.html

Authors Tim Garret
https://twitter.com/nephologue/
and Steven Keen
https://twitter.com/profstevekeen

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 23, 2023, 02:20:32 PM »
But, in all cases, historical past consumption is the primary determinant of the system's current energetic demands.

Probably the most important statement from your post, and hopefully most readers can grasp this.  Just like the deer encountering headlights in the middle of the road, will always retreat to the side from whence it came.  Namely, the safe side.  The opposite side is unknown.  The world will tread slowly into the unknown, and retreat to safety, when frightened.  Proven energy sources are that region of safety.

John Batteen

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 23, 2023, 03:44:39 PM »
Still haven't proposed a single solution, only attacked other ideas.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 23, 2023, 03:59:58 PM »
Still haven't proposed a single solution, only attacked other ideas.

Almost sounds as if his solution is BAU.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 23, 2023, 11:56:17 PM »

Yes of course. All our choices at the grand scale are. When we found out coolant shredded our atmosphere it was quickly regulated. I figured CO2 would be next but sadly it is more complicated.

And we also made a bit of an error in shifting that target beyond 1C in the eighties so soon we will get to see how well our societies cope with 1,5C, the temperature we were fine with for the future but that was political too.

Sciguy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #391 on: April 24, 2023, 03:47:07 AM »
For those worried that we might run out of lithium, here’s yet another new source of it:

https://oilprice.com/Metals/Commodities/Abandoned-Oil-Wells-Offer-New-Source-Of-Lithium.html

Abandoned Oil Wells Offer New Source Of Lithium

By Tsvetana Paraskova - Apr 22, 2023

Direct extraction could be the next big thing in mining for lithium—one of the most crucial minerals for the energy transition. Start-ups created in recent years are now looking to extract lithium from the brine underneath abandoned oil wells, where the resource is more or less estimated, and most of the drilling has been done.   

The technology is still in the early stages of development and needs to be further refined and scaled to achieve commercialization. But if the start-ups achieve a breakthrough soon, as many of them believe, direct lithium extraction from brine in abandoned oil wells could upend the lithium mining industry as this type of extraction promises to be less destructive and use less freshwater than traditional mining. It could also make obtaining permitting easier, considering that abandoned wells have already been drilled and may not be in too remote areas without roads and infrastructure like many traditional lithium deposits.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #392 on: April 24, 2023, 06:45:24 AM »

Yes of course. All our choices at the grand scale are. When we found out coolant shredded our atmosphere it was quickly regulated. I figured CO2 would be next but sadly it is more complicated.

And we also made a bit of an error in shifting that target beyond 1C in the eighties so soon we will get to see how well our societies cope with 1,5C, the temperature we were fine with for the future but that was political too.

https://scheerpost.com/2023/04/23/extinction-rebellions-roger-hallam-its-not-the-climate-its-the-system-the-chris-hedges-report/

https://scheerpost.com/2023/04/23/a-radical-approach-to-the-environmental-crisis-w-keith-akers/

https://scheerpost.com/2023/04/23/watch-john-pilgers-guide-to-propaganda/

« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 10:44:57 AM by SeanAU »

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #393 on: April 26, 2023, 04:21:58 AM »
The Claim: ” Kilowatt for kilowatt, renewables are cheaper. ”

If it is true that “cheapness” is a primary determinate for choosing new “renewable” infrastructure over new fossil fuels electricity generating alternatives …. (renewables being more correctly termed “rebuildables” because it is only Sunlight, Geothermal heat and Wind which actually “renewable/free” not the equipment which captures that potential “energy” ) … then it should logically follow that in China, where one can purchase the absolute lowest price for “rebuildable infrastructure, including fixed battery storage” and power delivery networking … there would no logical economic or other reason whatsoever for them to be building New Fossil Fuel Electricity Generation power stations anywhere …. and yet they are …. by the hundreds right now and the years ahead.

The exact same thing applies in India, in Indonesia and across Asia and the Middle East, in Africa, Turkey, Poland, Mexico and South America, even Australia has a couple of FF power plants planned. Are they all stupid? Are their calculators faulty? Or simply ideologically crazy capitalists?

I saw this detailed info the other day on a site that was collating data worldwide for all forms of energy use, new plant construction and planning. It will be easy to find if you’re motivated, I didn’t bookmark it.

The point being, there is something seriously faulty about the “propagandized theory/myth” that because “rebuildables” are theoretically / claimed to be “the cheapest” right now today, that therefore
1) “rational actors” all over the world should be or must be no longer building New Fossil Fuel Power plants. and
2) we have reached some major economic and technological “turning point” toward lowering ongoing GHG emissions.

We have not.

Something else is going on here when the purported cheapness and what that is assumed to mean, is not the critical determining factor it has been made out to be at all. Something here is being simplified beyond reason and the facts on the ground. Something else is going on beneath the surface appearances, news releases, Lazard 'graphs' and the 'positive spin' put on RE alternatives.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #394 on: April 26, 2023, 02:16:39 PM »
The Resource Balanced Economy to meet the twin challenges of
phasing out fossil fuel energy and self-sufficient supply of raw
materials
By Simon P. Michaux

The task to phase out fossil fuels is at hand. The current society and its industrial systems are heavily dependent on fossil fuels, oil in particular. Yet the oil and petroleum supply may soon become unreliable.
It is possible peak oil is in our past in November 2018, and costs of production of petroleum products are rising. The proposed Green Transition has a series of logistical challenges which make it impractical.
One of those challenges is a shortfall in mineral supply. Natural resources of all kinds will soon become much more valuable.
Society is now required to develop a plan to transition away from fossil fuels and become more self-reliant for the supply of raw materials. We are required to develop a new relationship with energy, minerals, economics, technology, the environment, and each other. The conventional Circular Economy won’t work as hoped because it is thermodynamically out of balance.
This paper proposes an evolution of the Circular Economy, the Resource Balanced Economy.

https://www.centrumbalticum.org/files/5598/BSR_Policy_Briefing_2_2023.pdf

Our fossil-fuelled economy is destabilising the planet. But a renewable energy economy might not be much better. On this episode, Simon walks us through the research, the possible outcomes from calculated energy contraction to collapse, what policymakers are doing with this information, and how the geopolitics of the US-China proxy war could make the green transition impossible for the West.

Current Renewables are Underperforming - Current PV solar globally, over the calendar year is only producing power 11% of the time. Wind 24% of the time. The RE storage buffer required is much larger than expected.

Michaux had estimated in 2021 report an average 28 day storage buffer (with no fossil fuel power being used) but this is likely not enough. 28 days would equal 2100 terawatt hours, compare that to 2018 total energy supply was 26,000 terawatt hours. In some places, like Germany storage would need to kept for up to 6 months. No one really knows exactly how much is needed and for how long - this work has never been done - the closer to the poles the longer storage will need to be stored before being used. 

02:25 The Minerals Shortage
06:24 Ideology vs Reality
13:10 The Energy Problem
23:34 Current Renewables are Underperforming
32:40 The Energy Storage Problem
43:20 Engineering society to cope with variable power
48:08 Dangerous dependence on US and China
01:06:56 The Resource Balanced Economy
01:19:02 Four Paradigms of Future Society
01:24:39 Shrinking the Technosphere

« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 02:32:09 PM by SeanAU »

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #395 on: April 26, 2023, 02:19:36 PM »
In this episode, Simon Michaux returns to discuss his new paper “A Resource Balanced Economy”, which outlines an alternative economic and social system. We talk about Supply Chains new technology data collection artificial intelligence and what it's really going to take to get from here to there.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 26, 2023, 02:43:20 PM »

Current Renewables are Underperforming - Current PV solar globally, over the calendar year is only producing power 11% of the time. Wind 24% of the time. The RE storage buffer required is much larger than expected.

US Solar producing power 25% of the time and wind 35% of the time.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #397 on: April 26, 2023, 04:48:24 PM »

Quote:

"Current PV solar globally ......................................................................................."

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 26, 2023, 06:49:46 PM »
Quote from: SeanAU on Today at 01:16:39 PM

The data from businesses who make money from collecting, analysing, and providing data say otherwise.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/799330/global-solar-pv-installation-cost-per-kilowatt/ says...
"Between 2010 and 2021, the average capacity factor for utility-scale solar PV systems worldwide presented a mostly upward trend. In the latter year, the average capacity factor for utility-scale solar PV systems stood at 17.2 percent.

Between 2010 and 2021, the capacity factor for offshore wind power worldwide oscillated between 35 percent in 2014 and 45 in 2013 and 2017. In 2021, the average global capacity factor for offshore wind stood at 39 percent.

https://www.irena.org/-/media/files/irena/agency/publication/2019/oct/irena_future_of_wind_2019.pdf
The combination of improved wind turbine technologies, deployment of higher hub
heights and longer blades with larger swept areas leads to increased capacity factors
for a given wind resource. For onshore wind plants, global weighted average capacity
factors would increase from 34% in 2018
to a range of 30% to 55% in 2030 and 32% to
58% in 2050. For offshore wind farms, even higher progress would be achieved, with
capacity factors in the range of 36% to 58% in 2030 and 43% to 60% in 2050, compared
to an average of 43% in 2018.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 26, 2023, 07:48:13 PM »

Quote:

"Current PV solar globally ......................................................................................."

Show me data that suggests globally pv is only 11% you can't because it isn't that low.