Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Renewable Energy Transition and Consumption  (Read 90662 times)

zenith

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Renewable Energy Transition and Consumption
« Reply #300 on: January 29, 2023, 12:25:37 AM »
this is the best thread on this forum. all of the people that had something worth saying are gone, the retards remain posting their corporate greenwashing statistics day after day. if you want to know why humanity, and science, is doomed to fail read this thread.
Where is reality? Can you show it to me? - Heinz von Foerster

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5322
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #301 on: January 29, 2023, 02:10:43 PM »
this is the best thread on this forum. all of the people that had something worth saying are gone, the retards remain posting their corporate greenwashing statistics day after day. if you want to know why humanity, and science, is doomed to fail read this thread.
Why do some people keep posting on this forum when they think it is a forum for retards?

It is a mystery to this relic.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

zenith

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 123
« Reply #302 on: January 29, 2023, 09:59:23 PM »
you could always try reading the thread. you'll just keep posting your graphs - it's daattaaa!
Where is reality? Can you show it to me? - Heinz von Foerster

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 578
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #303 on: January 30, 2023, 06:53:38 AM »
you could always try reading the thread. you'll just keep posting your graphs - it's daattaaa!
Your attitudes drive more inaction than fossil fuel company trolls.

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 998
  • Likes Given: 1291
« Reply #304 on: January 30, 2023, 08:39:47 AM »
TRIGGER WARNING - this is a video. multiple sources will be used to make a complex argument.
This is the BIGGEST Reason the WEF Will Fail

I've watched that entire video, and he asks a lot of questions, but doesn't give a single answer. That's how the extreme right works; ask questions, make people confused and angry, and make them scared of change.

You know what's not a complex system? A bucket of water. When you fill it up with water, at one point it will be full, and it will spill over. Exactly the same as our atmosphere. It's very simple; Ad CO2, and the climate heats up. Very simple science. Don't do anything about it, and the system collapses. Keep using fossil fuels, and the system collapses.

He had some interesting graphs on minerals, and I've brought this up before; we don't have enough of them. So what we need to do is to use less energy, and yes, that'll probably collapse the fossil fuel economy. Either way, we're fucked. We heading for dire times, and yes, the elite keeps thinking the economy can keep growing forever.

What I think? The rich elite - that is gathering enormous amounts of wealth right now - will start building castles again, and the common man can live outside the wall in dire need of basic necessities and clean air. It'll look something like these plans for a mile wide dome over Houston, or the line. Small wealthy islands unaccusable for billions of poor people.
When factual science is in conflict with our beliefs or traditions, we cuddle up in our own delusional fantasy where everything starts making sense again.

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 388
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #305 on: January 30, 2023, 09:44:29 PM »
Why do some people keep posting on this forum when they think it is a forum for retards?

It is a mystery to this relic.

No mirror?  Think that insults replace debate?

It falls into "whatever" category.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #306 on: April 11, 2023, 04:49:49 PM »

In short, we have humanity that needs more to meet basic needs but needs less to avert the effects of ecological damage and climate change, and will be using less because the biosphere, environmental damage, and the effects of climate change won't allow more.

Money vs. physics: who will win?

Plus resource supply constraints at a viable cost won't allow 'more' either. Fossil fuels included. Impacts of climate change are going to push up the costs and decrease the reliability of FF supplies this decade onward. 

Finally, in an earlier message, it was implied that I was an oil industry shill. In another, a climate denier. Now, a concern troll. Given such, I have chosen not to participate further in the forum, as I do not want to derail any genuine discussion in it.

Poor bugger. This kind of narrow minded bigotry and insulting disagreeable labeling (or is it simply impatience and a lack of tolerance?) happens all the time on internet forums and groups. It seems to be impossible to avoid it. A pity.
It's wealth, constantly seeking more wealth, to better seek still more wealth. Building wealth off of destruction. That's what's consuming the world. And is driving humans crazy at the same time.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #307 on: April 11, 2023, 04:56:48 PM »
I think this short intro info video broadly fits in with this thread topic - Please let me know if it doesn't. I'd like to share several other items in this theme - looming supply and price constraints to a RE transition (as well as a BAU ongoing economic growth scenario) -  if there is a more suitable thread topic please point me to it. thx

Dr. Simon Michaux on Minerals, Energy, and Complexity

It's wealth, constantly seeking more wealth, to better seek still more wealth. Building wealth off of destruction. That's what's consuming the world. And is driving humans crazy at the same time.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2064
  • Likes Given: 2002
« Reply #308 on: April 11, 2023, 06:32:33 PM »
It would be nice if they were text links.

Why would anyone watch a video that broadly fits? I think any video should have a good pitch.
What is the actual thing we can learn and do add a timestamp.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #309 on: April 12, 2023, 07:17:22 AM »
It would be nice if they were text links.

Why would anyone watch a video that broadly fits? I think any video should have a good pitch.
What is the actual thing we can learn and do add a timestamp.

Interesting reply. You are asking for text and a timestamp for a 4 minute video.

As for " a video that broadly fits"

I repeat, I think this short intro info video broadly fits in with this thread topic - Please let me know if it doesn't. 

It was a genuine request for clarification and feedback if the subject matter is on topic or not for this thread or if there was a more appropriate thread. 

I also said: I'd like to share several other items in this theme - looming supply and price constraints to a RE transition

Which indicated the purpose behind my question as well as using the short intro info video as an example of said "theme".

Is there something off with my grammar or sentence construction? I ask because you appear to be totally ignoring what was said in 'Text,' and are speaking about something else entirely.

Your reply makes very little sense to me given that. 

Without any other guidance I will assume the subject is on topic and will continue on regardless.

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #310 on: April 12, 2023, 09:28:42 AM »
Sean from AU - thanks for your reply

You 'popped out of the blue' about a month ago. Over this time period, you managed to produce more than 270 interventions on this forum. That is even more than I managed to produce over the past ten years.

The video you presented recently included a wellknown song promoted by geologists alike many times. It may very well be that your posts are somewhat "within the limits" of a particular thread. However, a heated debate about the current limits of our expression will do very few of us good.

Please try instead to use all your eagerness and willingness to contribute in a moment of reflection, a pause from hectic posting, and a well-deserved period of deeper studies of relevant matters. I am convinced that you will eventually see the longterm benefits of this forum, you will appreciate the thoughtful comments from time to time, and you will eventually make a contribution worth listening to.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #311 on: April 12, 2023, 12:53:10 PM »
You're welcome.

Also known as Geoscience or earth science, Geology is the primary Earth science and looks at how the earth formed, its structure and composition. Utilizing and being open to consider all scientific knowledge resources sounds like a wise approach for understanding intransigent major world problems to me. You are singing a very different "song" which means you're not interested in the topic, only me personally.

Heated debate and Interventions? An odd choice of words. Every single person who first posted here "appeared out of the blue" so I fail to see the rationale to being addressed so selectively, but the meanings are obvious:  "Shut up, I don't like what you say and I don't like you!"

Fine, be like that. Myself I am pleased to see the level of vitriol, ad hominen, and personal insults has decrease markedly on the Politics forum since my first comment. It's far more civil now. Would be nice if that continued and improved even more.

I know for certain that Conformity and Universal Agreement on every topic or question are not prerequisites to getting along with our fellow humans. But a little respect and acceptance goes a very long way to greasing the wheels.

Maybe one day P-maker you too will eventually make a contribution worth listening to. Have a nice day.

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 12, 2023, 01:37:16 PM »
Sean, just to be absolutely clear:

I don't mind geosciences at all and I don't dislike your utterings in this thread in particular.

Please accept my contributions here as a piece of friendly advice. We all need that from time to time.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #313 on: April 12, 2023, 02:15:04 PM »
"I don't mind geosciences at all and I don't dislike your utterings in this thread in particular."

Yeah right. I haven't even said anything or posted any material yet and you're all over me like flies on S...., plus I didn't see any 'friendly' advice anywhere. I made a simple and honest respectful request for some clarity on the thread topic options. No need for you to make excuses now. It's fine. It's crystal clear what the lay of the land is here. Nothing has changed since ralfy left years ago and zenith took a break or maybe permanently left too. Got it. Clear as. Unexpectedly, you've both been incredibly helpful.   :o

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2064
  • Likes Given: 2002
« Reply #314 on: April 12, 2023, 06:28:04 PM »
Posts should be on topic.

If you are talking about you it is not.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Sciguy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #315 on: April 13, 2023, 03:08:58 AM »
Sean,

I watched the first 25 seconds of the video you posted.  It seems that the argument being made is that transition to renewables requires metals that cant be mined in time for the transition.

This argument has been made many times and shown to be false by real world experience.  If companies can make profits from producing the metals, they’ll expand mining operations.  If they can’t, then the renewables companies will substitute other minerals.

See the rare earths crisis of the last decade for an example of this.

Sciguy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 13, 2023, 03:21:57 AM »
The IEA produced a report on the demand for metals from the energy transition:

https://www.iea.org/reports/the-role-of-critical-minerals-in-clean-energy-transitions/mineral-requirements-for-clean-energy-transitions

Mineral requirements for clean energy transitions
Clean energy technologies – from wind turbines and solar panels, to electric vehicles and battery storage – require a wide range of minerals1 and metals. The type and volume of mineral needs vary widely across the spectrum of clean energy technologies, and even within a certain technology (e.g. EV battery chemistries).

This chapter assesses the aggregate mineral demand from a wide range of clean energy technologies under the IEA’s Stated Policies Scenario (STEPS) and the Sustainable Development Scenario (SDS), including:

Low-carbon power generation: solar PV, wind, other renewables and nuclear;
Electricity networks;
Electric vehicles and battery storage;
Hydrogen (electrolysers and fuel cells).
For each of the clean energy technologies, we estimate overall mineral demand using four main variables: clean energy deployment trends under the STEPS and SDS; sub-technology shares within each technology area; mineral intensity of each sub-technology; and mineral intensity improvements.2

Projected mineral demand is highly dependent on the stringency of climate policies (reflected in the difference between the STEPS and SDS) as well as potential technology development pathways such as different solar PV module types or EV battery chemistries. We explore the impacts of varying technology evolution trends through 11 alternative cases under both the STEPS and SDS, in addition to our base case.

A study published in January 2023 shows that the demand can be met:

https://apnews.com/article/science-green-technology-climate-and-environment-renewable-energy-141761657a8e7a5627a0e49e601dd48e

Study: Enough rare earth minerals to fuel green energy shift
By SETH BORENSTEIN
January 27, 2023

The world has enough rare earth minerals and other critical raw materials to switch from fossil fuels to renewable energy to produce electricity and limit global warming, according to a new study that counters concerns about the supply of such minerals.

With a push to get more electricity from solar panels, wind turbines, hydroelectric and nuclear power plants, some people have worried that there won’t be enough key minerals to make the decarbonization switch.

Much more mining is needed, but there are enough minerals to go around and drilling for them will not significantly worsen warming, the study in Friday’s scientific journal Joule concluded.

“Decarbonization is going to be big and messy, but at the same time we can do it,” said study co-author Zeke Hausfather, a climate scientist at the tech company Stripe and Berkeley Earth. “I’m not worried we’re going to run out of these materials.”

Sciguy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 13, 2023, 03:26:32 AM »
Here’s the study that concludes there are enough raw materials for the energy transition:

https://www.cell.com/joule/fulltext/S2542-4351(23)00001-6#%20

Future demand for electricity generation materials under different climate mitigation scenarios

Seaver Wang, Zeke Hausfather, Steven Davis, Lauren Liebermann, Guido D. Núñez-Mujica, Jameson McBride
Published:January 27, 2023

Summary

Achieving global climate goals will require prodigious increases in low-carbon electricity generation, raising concerns about the scale of materials needed and associated environmental impacts. Here, we estimate power generation infrastructure demand for materials and related carbon-dioxide-equivalent (CO2eq) emissions from 2020 to 2050 across 75 different climate-energy scenarios and explore the impact of climate and technology choices upon material demand and carbon emitted. Material demands increase but cumulatively do not exceed geological reserves. However, annual production of neodymium (Nd), dysprosium (Dy), tellurium (Te), fiberglass, and solar-grade polysilicon may need to grow considerably. Cumulative CO2 emissions related to materials for electricity infrastructure may be substantial (4–29 Gt CO2eq in 1.5°C scenarios) but consume only a minor share of global carbon budgets (1%–9% of a 320 Gt CO2eq 1.5°C 66% avoidance budget). Our results highlight how technology choices and mitigation scenarios influence the large quantities of materials mobilized during a future power sector decarbonization.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #318 on: April 13, 2023, 03:41:12 AM »
Posts should be on topic.

If you are talking about you it is not.

The hypocrisy is noted. Given the initial comments by P-maker about myself to whom I was responding to,  I question how you manage to be a 'moderator' kassy when you fail to see the obvious and then pointedly make an unfair comment to me alone. A clever tactic, though not something I would do or encourage.  But you do you.

My ref: you, you, you your etc..... https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,3286.msg364317.html#msg364317
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 01:00:57 PM by SeanAU »

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #319 on: April 13, 2023, 04:00:42 AM »
Here’s the study that concludes there are enough raw materials for the energy transition:

The topic is not worth my time discussing here or sharing material, as should have been clear by what I already said. Believe whatever you want to believe and trust whoever you want to trust. Not my problem. So knock yourself out.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 07:39:09 AM by SeanAU »

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 13, 2023, 04:51:25 AM »
Sean, farvel og tak.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #321 on: April 13, 2023, 05:42:13 AM »
Oh why the hell not? Does anyone have the motivation to compare apples with oranges and stones? Probably not, but see below maybe something might catch your eye.

Anything with Zeke Hausfather in is a red flag to me these days. He's a great qualified scientist however he's gone off the range becoming an article of faith Prophet and highly paid PR Merchant who has forgotten his roots but not his ego. (snipped) I add a small review of that 'flawed & misrepresented' ref'd paper in a following post. 

OK so, the work that no one had or has done. Hundreds of data tables and graphs, and images, and references .... they even use EIA data which seems popular. It's only a 1000 pages or so, link below, .... so knock yourself out  :o

You decide if there might be anything in it worth your time to read or knowing about. Requires downloading to read the full document.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1 Introduction 1
1.1 Energy is the master resource 2

( snipped  :D )

48.9 Fuel usage measurements and conversions 985
Geological Survey of Finland 20/08/2021 Assessment to Phase out Fossil Fuels 1/985
Geologian tutkimuskeskus | Geologiska forskningscentralen | Geological Survey of Finland

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/354067356_Assessment_of_the_Extra_Capacity_Required_of_Alternative_Energy_Electrical_Power_Systems_to_Completely_Replace_Fossil_Fuels
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 08:17:53 AM by SeanAU »

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #322 on: April 13, 2023, 05:53:50 AM »
Yeah, why not ...... here's a quick easy copy paste to ignore or rubbish or deny or choose not understand.

Future demand for electricity generation materials under different climate mitigation scenarios

Seaver Wang, Zeke Hausfather, Steven Davis, Lauren Liebermann, Guido D. Núñez-Mujica, Jameson McBride
Published:January 27, 2023

Does it now? Have you checked the details and compared with other research and known data sources yourself? Do you know what any of the sections mean and why and how they made the "assumptions" they have? Have you read and understood any of the 75 papers they relied upon to produce their paper? Are they credible and do they address a 'real' future absent all fossil fuels? 

Just because a paper gets thru peer review does not by itself mean all the contents are either true or accurate or logically supportable. Being a Sciguy of course you do. But did you actually "check the facts"? I am not seeking any answers, these are only rhetorical questions to possibly reflect upon. Good luck.

A Review - Future demand for electricity generation materials under different climate
mitigation scenarios

Citation:
Wang et al., Future demand for electricity generation materials under different climate
mitigation scenarios, Joule (2023), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joule.2023.01.001 

This paper presents a series of model outcomes for material demands for future power generation, where climate targets of 1.5 0C, 2 0C or higher than 2 0C global warming mitigation are addressed.  It uses the outcomes of a number (75) of other studies for what is required to meet these climate targets.  As such, there is no discussion in how these metal demands are calculated.

On page 14, the following statement was made.
“We also do not assess material demand from battery or other energy storage facilities co-located
with electricity generation, as IAMC scenarios do not explicitly specify outputs or assumptions
corresponding to such storage.”

So, this study does not examine batteries of any kind (see comments in the first paragraph).  It does not examine energy storage at all, just power generation.   

These differences alone would explain the very different outcomes between my work and this paper. 

The materials for batteries (EV + storage) represents approximately 92-100% of required metals (depending on application).
To predict what metal might be required for construction of a future industrial system that bears little resemblance to
the one we have now is fraught with peril.  The new system would have to be mapped out in context of size, character,
and function.  Metal consumption up until now has been in context of a fossil fuel petroleum product dominated
industrial system.  An Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicle is made mostly of steel, aluminium, with small amounts
of magnesium and copper.  An Electric Vehicle (EV), while having much fewer moving parts, uses some steel and
aluminum, but also now requires lithium, cobalt, and nickel to produce the battery (assuming lithium-ion chemistry) and Rare Earth Elements (REE) for some of the electronics.  These are fundamentally different systems.

Many of the metals now required are mined at this time in trace elements or very small boutique quantities. Those same metals would then be required in volumes like what is mined for copper or even iron.  Just so, using the past to predict the future in this case is also inappropriate. 

The future electrified system as proposed will be radically different in material consumption for construction, operation and recycling compared to the fossil fuel ICE systems of the past 200 years. 

Most material intensity requirements to phase out fossil fuels in the climate mitigation studies looked at (I looked at only a few beyond this paper) merely state what metals are needed, not to what purpose they would be used or how that calculation was developed

The future non-fossil fuel system needs to be mapped out in terms of application and technology, then in metal content for each application. If this is not done, then predictions have no reference point.   

In this paper and in the several supporting studies I looked at, the following questions were not addressed in a form where numbers were presented. 

Each of these questions have impacts on the quantity of metals needed to phase out fossil fuels.

• How many Electric Vehicles (EV’s) are to be made?
• What kinds of battery chemistries?
• What kind of market split would there be between EV’s and hydrogen fuel cell (H2-Cell) vehicles?
• What performance specifications would there be for the different classes of vehicles, both in EV and H2-Cell systems?
• How much extra electrical power will be needed to facilitate the EV and H2-Cell vehicles?  This leads to what physical work and what distance do each of these vehicle’s travel?  How does this change between vehicle class?
• How does rail, maritime shipping and aviation impact these questions?
• How much existing electrical power is fossil fuel based?   
• What energy mix will be needed and developed?
• How many new solar panels are needed?  What kind, where each model has different metal content.
• How many new wind turbines are needed? What kind, where each model has different metal content.
If wind and solar are intermittent in power supply, how is that to be managed?  How much capacity?  For how long?
• How many new nuclear power plants are needed?
• How many new geothermal power plants are needed?
• How many new biomass power plants are needed?  What is sustainable in context of biomass harvested?
• How many new wave/tidal power plants are needed?
• Given the size of the task above, what quantity of metals, and what kinds would be required for a full system replacement?
• Given the quantity of metals, could recycling deliver these quantities.  If not, where might we get these metals?
• Given the quantity of metals, could the mining industry as it is now, deliver in a reasonable time?  Mining production compared to quantity of metals need for full system replacement.
• If mining production as it stands is not enough, could we open more mines?  Mineral reserves compared to quantity of metals need for full system replacement.
• If mineral reserves are not enough, could we force the economics to raise metal price and extract all resources on land?  This would need to ignore technology of extraction limitations.  Mineral resources (conventional) compared to quantity of metals need for full system replacement.
• If mineral resources on land are not enough, could we mine under the sea?  Undersea mineral resources (conventional) compared to quantity of metals need for full system replacement.
• If mineral reserves + conventional land based mineral resources + undersea mineral resources, all summed together (all metals thought to be in the Planet Earth system that we know of) is still not enough, should we consider an entirely different approach?

It becomes hard to untangle metal quantities required and carbon emissions mitigated.  Results are simply presented as given.  It is not stated what is being replaced.  Is it all fossil fuel based systems, or only some of them?

Then there is the issue of the increasing cost of production for the mining industry.  It has been observed over the last
few decades that ore grade has been decreasing, resulting in much more ore required to be mined and processed for
the same unit of metal produced (Michaux 2021a).  Mineral grind size has decreased, resulting in much more energy
required to grind the ore to liberation closing size.  Potable water consumption has increased per unit metal.  The ore
being mined has also increased in rock hardness.  This has all combined to result in the Mining Productivity Index
declining roughly 50% between the year 2000 and 2012 alone.  This means twice the physical work must be done to
produce the same amount of metal across a 12 year time frame.   
The mining industry is struggling to maintain growth targets.  The suggestion that mining can increase in capacity
several thousand percent (which is what would be required) is not feasible.  The proposed expansion of mining of
metals like REE or cobalt do not recognize the nature of the mineralogy of the deposits we have available, or the
performance limitations of current mining technology. 
Even if there were the available mineral deposits to expand mining to these production targets, the technology of
extraction will have to be different.  How do we mine without fossil fuel supported technology?  What would fossil
fuel free mining operations look like?  New EV technology is being developed (for example the EV mining truck), but
the performance capability of these units is unknown.  For example, how long can the EV truck carry ore before
requiring a battery recharge?   A mine site is designed around he capability of the equipment selected to do the mining. 
To date, the stamina of the fossil fuel systems has shown to be much longer than any of the renewable systems.  You
could argue this is a manifestation of ERoEI.  This needs to be thought through, before any capabilities for the future
mining capacity in a post fossil fuel world.   

This paper was developed from a very different starting point and used very different methodology than my work. The paper being reviewed did not attempt to undertake many of the questions my work did.
[end quote]

Of course everyone is entitled to believe whatever you wish. That is not my problem. But sincere apologies for the formatting issues - copying from a pdf doc, but my time is limited and too precious to waste on this matter. Please do carry on regardless. I'll keep the rest of what I have to myself and will share it elsewhere with people who are still open-minded, more aware, curious and genuinely interested in ongoing learning as opposed to being stuck in Conformity, Belief, PR and Myths.  :o
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 07:54:20 AM by SeanAU »

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 711
  • Likes Given: 382
« Reply #323 on: April 13, 2023, 06:53:58 AM »
To date, the stamina of the fossil fuel systems has shown to be much longer than any of the renewable systems.  You
could argue this is a manifestation of ERoEI.  This needs to be thought through, before any capabilities for the future
mining capacity in a post fossil fuel world.   
Fossil fuels are mined and burnt its a one way trip.
With renewable little  is lost you can reuse much of the resources expended once life time of equipment is reached .
One example solar panels are 99% glass aluminum and silicon.
In a mostly pure form easily and economically  recovered once their thirty year plus life time is reached .Same goes for resources used in  battery's and metals used in wind energy.
The more renewable energy we commission the lower the cost of replacement in a circular economy. 
The more fossil fuel we burn the higher the cost of replacement as easily accessed sources  are depleted and more expensive ones become viable.

What do you expect from a Russian troll....reality or idiotic propaganda ?
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

Sciguy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 13, 2023, 08:34:30 AM »
People who argue that materials constraints will slow the renewable energy transition tended to ignore economics.  The law of supply and demand will ensure that the materials needed are economically recoverable.

For example, look at the lithium needed fore EV batteries.  There are billions of tons of lithium available in seawater.  However it’s not currently economical to recover lithium from seawater when other forms of lithium are less expensive to acquire.  When demand for lithium increases the price of it, then seawater extraction will become economical.

Here’s a study on lithium supplies that explains it:

https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/14/3/1665

Resource Availability and Implications for the Development of Plug-In Electric Vehicles
by Ona Egbue, Suzanna Long,  and Seong Dae Kim
Sustainability 2022, 14(3), 1665; https://doi.org/10.3390/su14031665
Received: 22 December 2021 / Revised: 17 January 2022 / Accepted: 25 January 2022 / Published: 31 January 2022

Abstract

Plug-in electric vehicles (PEVs) have immense potential for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and dependence on fossil fuels, and for smart grid applications. Although a great deal of research is focused on technological limitations that affect PEV battery performance targets, a major and arguably equal concern is the constraint imposed by the finite availability of elements or resources used in the manufacture of PEV batteries. Availability of resources, such as lithium, for batteries is critical to the future of PEVs and is, therefore, a topic that needs attention. This study addresses the issues related to lithium availability and sustainability, particularly supply and demand related to PEVs and the impact on future PEV growth. In this paper, a detailed review of the research on lithium availability for PEV batteries is presented, key challenges are pinpointed and future impacts on PEV technology are outlined.

4.4. Future Supply
Estimates of lithium reserves and resources vary considerably between different studies and concerns about production rates of lithium being able to meet growing demand have not been sufficiently addressed [53]. A key challenge is the uncertainty about raw material availability [92]. One major factor that will influence lithium availability is the discovery of new deposits. As previously pointed out, it is very likely that additional lithium resources and reserves will be discovered with time, therefore current production and reserve estimates will continue to change over time.

Estimates for future production and availability range widely; from 60,000–110,000 tons for production by 2020 and from 2–20 million tons of available lithium through 2100 and beyond [57]. Actual global lithium production in 2020 was 82,000 tons [52]. This number will likely increase if the price of lithium goes up. For instance, Yaksic and Tilton [55] estimate that 22 million tons of lithium will be available if the price ranges from $1.40 to $2. This number increases by over 100% if the price ranges between $7 and $10 per lb of lithium carbonate, allowing lithium to be extracted from sea water.

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 13, 2023, 02:16:23 PM »
I would say that it is more a case of the demand for volume of materials will warrant the size of investment required to extract it from seawater.

The price of lithium is falling (post a demand surge and inevitable supply increase), which is increasing the total addressable market and the likely returns for any single investment.  This, more than an increased in the price of lithium, is now the driving force.

It is this market force which is driving up the supply of battery minerals and the overall cost of the product down, not up.  The recent rise in the price of lithium drove the investment in more supply.  Which, in turn, drove down the price of lithium.

It is also something I keep saying to people who point to the lack of EV chargers and say "but where will I charge my vehicle".  Supply and demand.  The UK is not going to put in charge points for 32m vehicles today when there are less than 2m EV vehicles on the road.  That would be insane, 90% of them would sit idle and eventually fail requiring more investment for no income.

This comes to a crunch point as was seen in Oslo.  As new EV vehicle sales hit 50% in Norway chargers became hard to find.  Today it is near 90% new EV and chargers are plentiful.

Supply and demand.  If you constantly expect supply to exceed demand before you change, you will never see change, because there will be no demand and therefore no supply.

Robert A. Heinlein

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #326 on: April 13, 2023, 03:56:15 PM »
Mythology salesmanship from the house of ayn rand. The magic market did not increase the supply of Atlantic Salmon. Nor did it save the whales from extinction. Fairy tales about ocean lithium at $10 lb is not going to provide batteries to anyone going forward, nor when it costs $20 or $50 a pound. The world is rapidly changing. There are Limits to Growth and we hitting them already at speed. The system is broken. Bridge out dead ahead.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 154
  • Likes Given: 499
« Reply #327 on: April 13, 2023, 04:05:01 PM »
I would say that it is more a case of the demand for volume of materials will warrant the size of investment required to extract it from seawater.

The price of lithium is falling (post a demand surge and inevitable supply increase), which is increasing the total addressable market and the likely returns for any single investment.  This, more than an increased in the price of lithium, is now the driving force.

It is this market force which is driving up the supply of battery minerals and the overall cost of the product down, not up.  The recent rise in the price of lithium drove the investment in more supply.  Which, in turn, drove down the price of lithium.

It is also something I keep saying to people who point to the lack of EV chargers and say "but where will I charge my vehicle".  Supply and demand.  The UK is not going to put in charge points for 32m vehicles today when there are less than 2m EV vehicles on the road.  That would be insane, 90% of them would sit idle and eventually fail requiring more investment for no income.

This comes to a crunch point as was seen in Oslo.  As new EV vehicle sales hit 50% in Norway chargers became hard to find.  Today it is near 90% new EV and chargers are plentiful.

Supply and demand.  If you constantly expect supply to exceed demand before you change, you will never see change, because there will be no demand and therefore no supply.

Yes, a perceived demand increase created a bubble in lithium.  That bubble has since burst, once that demand failed to materialize.  While down 67% from its high last fall, the price of lithium is still well above 2020 levels.  The pricer will eventually settle at a more reasonable level, before rising again to match real demand, and the supply will adjust.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 311
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #328 on: April 13, 2023, 05:08:11 PM »
Mythology salesmanship from the house of ayn rand. The magic market did not increase the supply of Atlantic Salmon. Nor did it save the whales from extinction. Fairy tales about ocean lithium at $10 lb is not going to provide batteries to anyone going forward, nor when it costs $20 or $50 a pound. The world is rapidly changing. There are Limits to Growth and we hitting them already at speed. The system is broken. Bridge out dead ahead.
Dear SeanAU,
Looks like you miss an important point. The problem is not for or against renewable, but how to get forward towards renewables.
We have no choice and will get there by choice or by obligation. So the question is not if lithium will be available, but what we can achieve with the available lithium. For some time, it was possible to hope that peak oil/fossil fuels would happen before climate change, but climate change is faster. Free to you to think that our car and your consumption are more important than your life, but it is not the way I feel.
The overshoot day statistics tells us that we need around 1,75 planets to sustain our actual living, that just can work for long since there is just one planet available, it's like eating the cookies faster than your mom can cook it, you probably know how it ends, and with AGW, half of the cookies will be flooded, so they will disappear even faster than expected.
Don't know why, but we regularly have on this  forum people who feel the need to explain that our finite world has no limits.
Regards,
Etienne

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5322
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #329 on: April 13, 2023, 05:11:18 PM »
Meanwhile, lots of money is going into trying to develop new battery chemistries that can be produced on an industrial scale, and on investments in to battery recycling (and for the use of secondhand EV batteries elsewhere)

https://www.technologyreview.com/2023/01/04/1066141/whats-next-for-batteries/
What’s next for batteries
Expect new battery chemistries for electric vehicles and a manufacturing boost thanks to government funding this year.

Every year the world runs more and more on batteries. Electric vehicles passed 10% of global vehicle sales in 2022, and they’re on track to reach 30% by the end of this decade.

Policies around the world are only going to accelerate this growth: recent climate legislation in the US is pumping billions into battery manufacturing and incentives for EV purchases. The European Union, and several states in the US, passed bans on gas-powered vehicles starting in 2035.

The transition will require lots of batteries—and better and cheaper ones.

Most EVs today are powered by lithium-ion batteries, a decades-old technology that’s also used in laptops and cell phones. All those years of development have helped push prices down and improve performance, so today’s EVs are approaching the price of gas-powered cars and can go for hundreds of miles between charges. Lithium-ion batteries are also finding new applications, including electricity storage on the grid that can help balance out intermittent renewable power sources like wind and solar.

But there is still lots of room for improvement. Academic labs and companies alike are hunting for ways to improve the technology—boosting capacity, speeding charging time, and cutting costs. The goal is even cheaper batteries that will provide cheap storage for the grid and allow EVs to travel far greater distances on a charge.

At the same time, concerns about supplies of key battery materials like cobalt and lithium are pushing a search for alternatives to the standard lithium-ion chemistry.

In the midst of the soaring demand for EVs and renewable power and an explosion in battery development, one thing is certain: batteries will play a key role in the transition to renewable energy. Here’s what to expect in 2023.

A radical rethink
Some dramatically different approaches to EV batteries could see progress in 2023, though they will likely take longer to make a commercial impact.

One advance to keep an eye on this year is in so-called solid-state batteries. Lithium-ion batteries and related chemistries use a liquid electrolyte that shuttles charge around; solid-state batteries replace this liquid with ceramics or other solid materials.

This swap unlocks possibilities that pack more energy into a smaller space, potentially improving the range of electric vehicles. Solid-state batteries could also move charge around faster, meaning shorter charging times. And because some solvents used in electrolytes can be flammable, proponents of solid-state batteries say they improve safety by cutting fire risk.

Solid-state batteries can use a wide range of chemistries, but a leading candidate for commercialization uses lithium metal. Quantumscape, for one, is focused on that technology and raised hundreds of millions in funding before going public in 2020. The company has a deal with Volkswagen that could put its batteries in cars by 2025. 

But completely reinventing batteries has proved difficult, and lithium-metal batteries have seen concerns about degradation over time, as well as manufacturing challenges. Quantumscape announced in late December it had delivered samples to automotive partners for testing, a significant milestone on the road to getting solid-state batteries into cars. Other solid-state-battery players, like Solid Power, are also working to build and test their batteries. But while they could reach major milestones this year as well, their batteries won’t make it into vehicles on the road in 2023.

Solid-state batteries aren’t the only new technology to watch out for. Sodium-ion batteries also swerve sharply from lithium-ion chemistries common today. These batteries have a design similar to that of lithium-ion batteries, including a liquid electrolyte, but instead of relying on lithium, they use sodium as the main chemical ingredient. Chinese battery giant CATL reportedly plans to begin mass-producing them in 2023.

Sodium-ion batteries may not improve performance, but they could cut costs because they rely on cheaper, more widely available materials than lithium-ion chemistries do. But it’s not clear whether these batteries will be able to meet needs for EV range and charging time, which is why several companies going after the technology, like US-based Natron, are targeting less demanding applications to start, like stationary storage or micromobility devices such as e-bikes and scooters.

Today, the market for batteries aimed at stationary grid storage is small—about one-tenth the size of the market for EV batteries, according to Yayoi Sekine, head of energy storage at energy research firm BloombergNEF. But demand for electricity storage is growing as more renewable power is installed, since major renewable power sources like wind and solar are variable, and batteries can help store energy for when it’s needed.

Lithium-ion batteries aren’t ideal for stationary storage, even though they’re commonly used for it today. While batteries for EVs are getting smaller, lighter, and faster, the primary goal for stationary storage is to cut costs. Size and weight don’t matter as much for grid storage, which means different chemistries will likely win out.

One rising star in stationary storage is iron, and two players could see progress in the coming year. Form Energy is developing an iron-air battery that uses a water-based electrolyte and basically stores energy using reversible rusting. The company recently announced a $760 million manufacturing facility in Weirton, West Virginia, scheduled to begin construction in 2023. Another company, ESS, is building a different type of iron battery that employs similar chemistry; it has begun manufacturing at its headquarters in Wilsonville, Oregon.

Shifts within the standard
Lithium-ion batteries keep getting better and cheaper, but researchers are tweaking the technology further to eke out greater performance and lower costs.

Some of the motivation comes from the price volatility of battery materials, which could drive companies to change chemistries. “It’s a cost game,” Sekine says.

Cathodes are typically one of the most expensive parts of a battery, and a type of cathode called NMC (nickel manganese cobalt) is the dominant variety in EV batteries today. But those three elements, in addition to lithium, are expensive, so cutting some or all of them could help decrease costs.

This year could be a breakout year for one alternative: lithium iron phosphate (LFP), a low-cost cathode material sometimes used for lithium-ion batteries.

Recent improvements in LFP chemistry and manufacturing have helped boost the performance of these batteries, and companies are moving to adopt the technology: LFP market share is growing quickly, from about 10% of the global EV market in 2018 to about 40% in 2022. Tesla is already using LFP batteries in some vehicles, and automakers like Ford and Volkswagen announced that they plan to start offering some EV models with the chemistry too.

Though battery research tends to focus on cathode chemistries, anodes are also in line to get a makeover.

Most anodes in lithium-ion batteries today, whatever their cathode makeup, use graphite to hold the lithium ions. But alternatives like silicon could help increase energy density and speed up charging.

Silicon anodes have been the subject of research for years, but historically they haven’t had a long enough lifetime to last in products. Now though, companies are starting to expand production of the materials.

In 2021, startup Sila began producing silicon anodes for batteries in a wearable fitness device. The company was recently awarded a $100 million grant from the Department of Energy to help build a manufacturing facility in Moses Lake, Washington. The factory will serve Sila’s partnership with Mercedes-Benz and is expected to produce materials for EV batteries starting in 2025.

Other startups are working to blend silicon and graphite together for anodes. OneD Battery Sciences, which has partnered with GM, and Sionic Energy could take additional steps toward commercialization this year. 

Policies shaping products
The Inflation Reduction Act, which was passed in late 2022, sets aside nearly $370 billion in funding for climate and clean energy, including billions for EV and battery manufacturing. “Everybody’s got their mind on the IRA,” says Yet-Ming Chiang, a materials researcher at MIT and founder of multiple battery companies.

The IRA will provide loans and grants to battery makers in the US, boosting capacity. In addition, EV tax credits in the law incentivize automakers to source battery materials in the US or from its free-trade partners and manufacture batteries in North America. Because of both the IRA’s funding and the EV tax credit restrictions, automakers will continue announcing new manufacturing capacity in the US and finding new ways to source materials.

All that means there will be more and more demand for the key ingredients in lithium-ion batteries, including lithium, cobalt, and nickel. One possible outcome from the IRA incentives is an increase in already growing interest around battery recycling. While there won’t be enough EVs coming off the road anytime soon to meet the demand for some crucial materials, recycling is starting to heat up.

CATL and other Chinese companies have led in battery recycling, but the industry could see significant growth in other major EV markets like North America and Europe this year. Nevada-based Redwood Materials and Li-Cycle, which is headquartered in Toronto, are building facilities and working to separate and purify key battery metals like lithium and nickel to be reused in batteries.

Li-Cycle is set to begin commissioning its main recycling facility in 2023. Redwood Materials has started producing its first product, a copper foil, from its facility outside Reno, Nevada, and recently announced plans to build its second facility beginning this year in Charleston, South Carolina.

With the flood of money from the IRA and other policies around the world fueling demand for EVs and their batteries, 2023 is going to be a year to watch.

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 13, 2023, 05:54:15 PM »
Yes, sodiuim ion batteries have potential.  Sodium is much more abundant - hence cheaper.  Sodium ion batteries are safer and offer enhanced rechargin abilities.  The downside is that the power density is half than of lithium ion batteries.  Consequently, their usage in vehicles will be limited.

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 13, 2023, 06:19:39 PM »
I get the feeling there is a realisation in the markets that recycling a part spent EV battery, where 98% recycling of materials happen, is a far more effective use of resources than locking the same resources into a stationary pack where up to 50% of it does not function properly.

Much better to get new cells from almost fully recycled materials which function at 100%.

At least that is the thinking I'm picking up.  Originally there was a thought that batteries might lose significant power in 3 years.  As time has gone on this thinking has moved to a decade or longer.  That changes the entire lifecycle of the battery and the way that we use them.

This will dramatically change the situation and the plans that companies make.  For instance a quick 5 minute stop at a hyper fast charger during the day and finish charging up at home.  As opposed to finding a 30 minute or more window to go to a bat tery swap station and get a fully charged battery.

Why 30 minutes or more when it only takes 15 minutes to swap it?  Well that's assuming the swap station is 7 minutes away.  If it is more, then the or more comes into effect.

As high speed chargers become more prevalent, swap stations are going to be viewed as a PITA more than a helper.

Robert A. Heinlein

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 14, 2023, 12:29:14 AM »
Lithium is more common than lead so stop pretending it is going to run out.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #333 on: April 14, 2023, 04:40:36 AM »

Dear SeanAU,
Looks like you miss an important point. The problem is not for or against renewable, but how to get forward towards renewables. snipped

My apologies etienne, I was far less clear than I imagined I was in my mind.

My response "Mythology salesmanship from the house of ayn rand." was to and about NeilT's religious preaching about the grandiose but Fake benefits and False promises of predatory capitalism and the mythical "Free Market" will solve all our problems like Magic. 

It's a delusional belief founded on cultic thinking and entrapment. I reject it outright. It is a Gospel of False Teachings.

Rather than being the road to solve the climate change agw fossil fuels emissions ecological destruction dilemma Capitalism is in fact the direct cause of our current predicament, of the death of the Arctic Sea Ice, and everything that has supported life on this planet as we know it.

It's a vile insidious cult teaching that should be rejected every time it is uttered. But never is. I noticed it, I responded.

No point doing it again because no way will he change his distorted beliefs (no point talking to a Scientologist their teaching is bullshit either) and clearly his views and fantasy beliefs align with almost all others on this forum from what I can see.   

You said it yourself in another way:
Don't know why, but we regularly have on this  forum people who feel the need to explain that our finite world has no limits.
Regards,
Etienne

And our collective problems go far beyond "how to get forward towards" (so called but misnamed) "renewables" to replace "fossil fuels".

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 14, 2023, 10:15:59 AM »
I could equally label your beliefs as cult thinking and dismiss them out of hand. This is a tactic that ends discussion but solves nothing.

Pure capitalism is about as broken as pure communism. Both systems have flaws and virtually all countries in the world have adopted some hybrid of the two. If you want to change systems of government that is your choice but it is a different struggle with different objectives. Tying environmental concerns with systems of government makes progress more improbable not less. But hey go ahead and stall progress on environmental issues and do the the work for fossil fuel shills for them they will not mind.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 14, 2023, 02:51:49 PM »
As Winston Churchill once said, “capitalism is the worst economic system, except for all the others.”  We could the benefits / detriments of any systems, but the bottom line is that prosperity and growth has led to problems.  We (the people) must solve these problems to further our livelihood.  Many problems of pollution were addressed several decades ago.  Species endangered is being addressed, although results vary.  Mankind tends not to address these issues until they come to the forefront - out of sight, out of mind.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #336 on: April 14, 2023, 05:26:17 PM »
I could equally label your beliefs as cult thinking and dismiss them out of hand. This is a tactic that ends discussion but solves nothing.

Pure capitalism is about as broken as pure communism. Both systems have flaws and virtually all countries in the world have adopted some hybrid of the two. If you want to change systems of government that is your choice but it is a different struggle with different objectives. Tying environmental concerns with systems of government makes progress more improbable not less. But hey go ahead and stall progress on environmental issues and do the the work for fossil fuel shills for them they will not mind.

LOL so who's ending the discussion? You sure are trying to shut it down in one swipe.

"I could equally label your beliefs as cult thinking and dismiss them out of hand."

You just did. So now we're square, right?

The opinion I expressed stands. I genuinely hold it. I said what I see. It's not the first comment I'd seen either. It's only the first time I said what I said, because no one else seems to be seeing what is there in the open. I find such views as abhorrent, no less than racism is abhorrent and that's how important this matter is to me. Because views like that are dangerous and they are toxic to a future that has a chance of making a renewable transition and the hundreds of other things needing to be done to stop the catastrophes were are in getting even worse.

Do tell how I have in any way ever, in my life or now " stall progress on environmental issues "?
Then do tell how and when in any way ever, in my life or now have I "done the the work for fossil fuel shills for them?"

What's with these false irrational accusations of me simply because I stated my opinion about a critically important issue like the way capitalism and free markets systems are destroying our societies and the planet's viability making both unlivable?

Last time I looked it was the fossil fuel industry titans who are psychotically aligned with predatory capitalism and who tell bullshit stories about how grand free markets are, not myself. So why are to falsely accusing me or doing their work? That's just a lie.

So you and Walrus could really take a chill pill, pause, and engage some critical thinking skills about what was actually said, what it meant, and why it might have been said with sincerity, before going on the knee jerk attack and over the top mega defensive routine like this. 

Because it just kills discussion dead and pisses the other person off no end for no good reason to a point where they wouldn't want to hear another thing you ever had to say.   

RE "Tying environmental concerns with systems of government makes progress more improbable not less."

Can you prove that? I ask because i think it is bonkers. iow it's so untrue it's off with the faeries it's that untrue.  Our environments ecology is being destroyed everywhere because of our corrupt dysfunctional systems of govt that push the predatory capitalist neoliberal neocon fictionalization economic endless growth models of our societies ... from the inordinate power of the mega wealthy running fossil fuel companies (and governments) to pathetic incompetence of the IPCC and UNFCCC process (the AR6 is another joke on us all) that are delivering nothing substantial except to continue driving our planet over an extinction cliff.   

A 'renewable' (sic) energy transition would be a good thing. If it ever happens. But it will never happen nor will all the other 'technological' and over consumption and ecologically destructive issues needing to be rectified will be done without massive root and branch societal, economic and political changes across the world first. No matter what massive changes are coming really fast and they're likely not to be the good change we need but the worst of it. Look around outside your window and outside this forum. The mega wealthy elites are running this world not the politicians, not the people, democracy is an illusion, the UN and all the international institutions are dysfunctional and/or corrupt, and these stinking rich elites all psychopathic immoral degenerates are not our 'saviours'.

That's just my opinion, no big deal, it isn't a novel idea by a long shot, billions think like I do, there is no need to lose your head over it or take it as some kind of a vicious personal attack either no matter how much it might be at odds with your own personal belief system of 'what is.'

If you cannot recognize the "Mythology salesmanship from the house of ayn rand." then I just feel sorry for you all. What a way to live. Each to their own though. It's not my problem to fix and I am not trying to. Please just carry on as if I never said a word.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 05:34:07 PM by SeanAU »

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #337 on: April 14, 2023, 05:46:10 PM »

I actually came back to this thread to ask about this, I had to let it sit for a while because I found it so strange it quite threw me.

So, what do you believe is the actual 'known' global reserves of lithium and lead. And what is the source/s you're relying upon here? url refs would be nice. 

Then how much Lithium is needed to undertake a complete transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy sources? Or to say even achieve the current 'hypothetical net zero'  2050 ambitions which would be less?

Rhetorical questions only, don't feel obliged to reply.

I find many things being said here in this thread quite unsettling and odd to me. I don't think it's for me.  It reminds of the feeling when walking through a mine field. Maybe it's my age catching up with me. I should stick with the politics section, is calmer and safer.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #338 on: April 14, 2023, 05:55:21 PM »
I guess you should start a new topic in the "Politics" section to talk about a change of government and of political system.

Something like "Is a French revolution type of event nowadays possible without that a friendly nation shoots missiles on you in order to save the king and that another friendly nation sends troops in order to prevent the return of the king?".

Well, I agree with Interstitial that if you first want to change the system, you won't achieve anything. Better to change yourself and show to the others that it is possible. In the COP28 Thread, I suggested a "just one Earth Challenge", wouldn't that be a better start? You won't achieve it without doing your personal energy transition.

I have always been against the promotion of individual behavior changes instead of general rules changes, because it would be so much easier to just forbid some high CO2 emitting equipment, but if Greta couldn't change general rules, I don't see how we could do it and our individual improvement is the only thing we have left to limit AGW.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #339 on: April 14, 2023, 05:59:15 PM »
Blasphemy!

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #340 on: April 14, 2023, 06:07:52 PM »

Thanks for your ideas. I don't know etienne, I'll 'reflect' on it. I already made the 'change/s' long ago now and I suspect there is nothing I need to do about it. Will see. Things change.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 15, 2023, 03:29:15 AM »

LOL so who's ending the discussion? You sure are trying to shut it down in one swipe.

"I could equally label your beliefs as cult thinking and dismiss them out of hand."

You just did. So now we're square, right?

No I am not claiming your opinions are cult thinking. I am saying I could use that argument too. I think the ideas are wrong but that is my opinion.

My primary response is that the global trend is for a merging of  capitalism and socialism. The labels still exist and some countries lean more one way then the other but in a practical sense the distinctions are shrinking and blurring.

My secondary response is greed, corruption and short sighted decision making are not unique to any form of government. These things exist in across the spectrum from dictatorship to pure democracies. So I am arguing that it is not the form of government that is the root cause.

I do find it interesting that you keep referring me to Ann Rand as one of her best known works is Atlas shrugged which is in essence the manifesto for extreme capitalists known as libertarians. Her life work is that selfishness is good and altruism is bad and can not be trusted. She would argue that people should act out of greed and dam the environment.

Intentional or not arguments that distract people from the core environmental issues such as associating systems of governments with environmental causes invites people who might otherwise agree with environmental causes to change their mind against. At the very least these discussions including this one distract and stall the spreading of information.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 15, 2023, 03:34:18 AM »

I actually came back to this thread to ask about this, I had to let it sit for a while because I found it so strange it quite threw me.

So, what do you believe is the actual 'known' global reserves of lithium and lead. And what is the source/s you're relying upon here? url refs would be nice. 

Then how much Lithium is needed to undertake a complete transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy sources? Or to say even achieve the current 'hypothetical net zero'  2050 ambitions which would be less?

Rhetorical questions only, don't feel obliged to reply.

I find many things being said here in this thread quite unsettling and odd to me. I don't think it's for me.  It reminds of the feeling when walking through a mine field. Maybe it's my age catching up with me. I should stick with the politics section, is calmer and safer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundance_of_elements_in_Earth%27s_crust
From wiki about earth element abundance in Earths crust
Lithium 0.002%
Lead 0.0014%

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 15, 2023, 03:39:38 AM »
I find many things being said here in this thread quite unsettling and odd to me.
This gives me hope even if you never change your mind or even if I am wrong. It shows you are listening which many people including myself do not always do though I try.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1167
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #344 on: April 15, 2023, 03:45:22 AM »
In sum, there are no fundamental materials constraints when evaluating against 2023 USGS estimated resources. Furthermore, Resources and Reserves have historically increased – that is, when a mineral is in demand, there is more incentive to look for it and more is discovered69. Annual mining, concentrating, and refining of relevant metal ores must grow to meet demand for the renewable energy economy, for which the fundamental constraints are human capital and permitting/regulatory timelines.
https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/Tesla-Master-Plan-Part-3.pdf
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #345 on: April 15, 2023, 08:55:56 AM »
Graphs refs by themselves are meaningless. One needs to (already know or) be able to look behind the curtain and really understand the context and the assumptions behind those graphs and whether or not those are both realistic and feasible in time and space.  One has to accurately understand from where the author is coming from and what the intentions are in the analysis. Checking all those details can be quite daunting and time consuming. The absolute majority of the non-expert general public, people who discuss various aspects of agw climate and solutions in various fora (like myself) tend to never get past the Abstract summaries or the PR indicated in the Headline. Clearly many if not most people here do do this better are more experienced educated than most out there. Which is why it's so surprising to me that anyone here would automatically slam something without knowing anything about the deep details of the subject matter, the work progress and goals, or the author. And say and think things like "we've been over this all before - there's nothing new to learn". But such is life. Not my problem to solve other people's problems, I have enough of my own to deal with. Individuals have to work this stuff out for themselves or forget about it and ignore it entirely. Which is fine, that's their right. Plus there is obviously no requirement on anyone to look at nor consider anything someone might contribute here or elsewhere either. That's a given.

Typo: Column 2 in Table 1 is Onshore, and Column 3 should read Off-Shore Wind Turbine

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 09:29:28 AM by SeanAU »

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #346 on: April 15, 2023, 09:11:37 AM »
Do we have enough raw materials? Yes and No

The Earth´s crust contains great abundancy of various elements. As such, we are not running out minerals and metals from the geological point of view. The problem is their exploitability and availability. The development of circular economy is important, but in some cases, there is still not enough materials to recycle. With the current operations, production cannot meet fast enough to the evolving and growing raw material needs. This concern is shared by e.g. European Commission, World Bank and International Energy Agency IEA.

“However, there is no ambiguity about the connection between energy transition and growing material needs (including various minerals extracted from bedrock and other raw materials and secondary raw materials), and addressing challenges requires a systemic global perspective. These needs to be solved, there is no other alternative,” says Associate Research Professor Simon P. Michaux.

Refs

WEBSITE I am developing a plan to transform our relationship between energy, minerals, and industrialization, as the existing proposed strategic plans are shown to be logistically impractical. 
https://www.simonmichaux.com/

SUMMARY DOC Assessment of the Extra Capacity Required of Alternative Energy Electrical Power Systems to Completely Replace Fossil Fuels
https://mcusercontent.com/72459de8ffe7657f347608c49/files/be87ecb0-46b0-9c31-886a-6202ba5a9b63/Assessment_to_phase_out_fossil_fuels_Summary.pdf 
( with link to the 1000 page original 2021 report )

Dec 2022 with 3 video presentations, Q&A, and data graphs and tables
There Are Bottlenecks in Raw Materials Supply Chain – A Glimpse of the Systemic Overview Is Here, Discussion and the Development of the Solutions Have Started
https://www.gtk.fi/en/current/there-are-bottlenecks-in-raw-materials-supply-chain-a-glimpse-of-the-systemic-overview-is-here-discussion-and-the-development-of-the-solutions-have-started/

Feb 2023 Challenges and Bottlenecks for the Green transition - quick summary 34 mins

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #347 on: April 15, 2023, 09:57:29 AM »
SeanAU, I don't get your point. Similar graphs and data are available regarding fossil fuels. So what do you want to prove ? That we are doomed anyway ? That's what is said in the report to the club of Rome "limits to growth" that was published in 1972, nothing new, just more detailed. We just don't know if the material or the pollution will be the first limit we will reach, but it looks like the AGW (pollution) will disturb our living conditions in such a way that it will not be possible to repair as fast as it is destroyed, so the priority is first to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions.
I didn't watch completely any of the videos you suggest, but from what I saw, it looks like they have the right starting point calculating the needs, but that the context will change so much during the next years that any prediction for more than 12 months doesn't make any sense. Nobody knows what will happen in Finland 2024. Will they get an atomic bomb, will it be flooded, will it burn, will it stay like it is right now, will there be en economical collapse, will half of the population die of some pandemic, maybe a mix of all the options, but most probably something I can't think of.
So let's act with agility
While we still have facility,
For we'll soon reach senility
And lose the ability.

Tom Lehrer

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #348 on: April 15, 2023, 12:00:43 PM »
Blasphemy!
video

Here's a good example outtake @1:06 hrs

Simon Michaux:  So then this is the difficulty. Now what I believe will happen is instead of actually trying to do the impossible there, we will do something else. We're just going to change direction and do something else. And what that something else is, is going to be based on the limitations of what we're looking at. And that is the purpose of my work. Looking at that something else and having discussions around that.

Nate Hagens: So in the minerals portion of your hierarchy of biophysical needs, how do you see that?

Simon Michaux: Well, we're first going to have a frank discussion of what minerals we think we need versus what we've got. And then we're going to realize what we've got won't work with the existing plan. And we'll start doing things like making batteries out of sodium, or sand, silica, or fluoride, or zinc, or lead.

Nate Hagens: Lower tech, scalable things that don't give us the dopamine return on investment, but they are cheap and functional.

Simon Michaux: And can be recycled. So we're going to first scale back our expectations and our requirements for complex technology. We'll develop a technology that is simpler, more robust, and can deal with poorer quality material inputs, and require less energy to produce.

Nate Hagens: How much of this is happening now in this domain?

Simon Michaux: So there's a lot of talk at the moment that the current mining industry is driven by demand and it's driven by money and by profit. So at the moment, there is just a bit of talk. And we're starting to talk about alternatives, like batteries made of fluoride for example.

But at the moment, it's not taken seriously. And the future is seen as lithium iron based chemistry, like LFP batteries for example. And that is the focus, 100% of the time. And so they're giving it lip service now, whereas five, 10 years ago, they wouldn't concede it existed at all. So it is progress.

So first of all, we're going to change what we are going think we're going to do. Then we're going to start sourcing our minerals from our waste products because it's all around us. Can we do stuff with what we have instead of trying to mine it in the first place? It's a form of recycling.

[Of course adding the above a waste of time without seeing how that fits in the overall context of the video discussion and the concepts, ideas, research and analysis developed in the reports and papers done so far, and the driving motivation of the author and who he is being supported by and why. And only then considering if what's being said makes rational logical sense in the real world.]

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #349 on: April 15, 2023, 12:14:10 PM »
SeanAU, I don't get your point.

There is nothing to say or discuss. I provided ample refs.