Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The 2020/2021 freezing season  (Read 339513 times)

gandul

Re: The 2020/2021 freezing season
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2020, 03:45:51 PM »
Yeah.
Also the cyclonic circulation on Greenland is pulling Atlantic storms up all the way to the Arctic. Not sure what to make of this but it looks warmer than predicted last week, where a cold polar vortex seemed to emerge.

gandul

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2020, 03:50:03 PM »
Latest Five Day Forecast
Wind @ Surface
Wind + Temp @ 850hPa
Large GiFS!
I know it’s much to ask but could you generate the humidity one?? (please)

Sublime_Rime

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 98
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2020, 06:52:59 PM »
Latest Five Day Forecast
Wind @ Surface
Wind + Temp @ 850hPa
Large GiFS!

Wow, is it just me, or does it seem like Fram export's about to go into overdrive? Perhaps all this sloshing around on the Atlantic front will slow refreeze over at least the next week?
Max
Know thyself
Here to learn and connect in these wondrous and quickly changing times.

Paul

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 136
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2020, 02:13:25 AM »
Wow.. Just how long is the Atlantic/Laptev refreeze going to take.. Large amounts of open water even by late November? Surely heading that way as there's been no cold air there whatsoever.

Yet the Beaufort has been cold and new ice has formed and we could see a fast refreeze here, the ice shape could be one of the strangest we have seen, at this rate the Bering Stright is more likely to freeze than the Laptev sea!

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1140
  • Likes Given: 680
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2020, 05:45:44 AM »
September 17-21.

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2020, 05:59:03 AM »
September 17-21.
Very interesting to see the "scorpion's tail" fade in Beaufort.
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1250
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2020, 07:01:37 AM »
Latest Five Day Forecast
Wind @ Surface + Total Precipitable Water
Large GiF!

Here you go Gandul. If anyone else has a special request for freezing season, don't be shy to ask! The plan is to try and make one forecast a day now during freezing season, but I still have to figure out which one is the preferred forecast for the freezing season. I'm thinking temperature @ surface and @ 850 hPa for sure, and wind when a big event appears. But I'm not sure if precipitable water is useful in winter. It'll be cold and dry up there anyway... Just let me know! This DJ takes requests...  ::)
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2020, 10:29:36 AM »
According to climatereanalyzer, there's a 973 HPa low north of Novaya Zemlya.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 679
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2020, 11:57:26 AM »
Today's images and animation
I recently joined the twitter thing, where I post more analysis, pics and animations: @Icy_Samuel

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1008
  • Likes Given: 1031
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2020, 01:39:44 PM »
 .. 'Today's images and animation' .. it looks like the 'meezing seazon' .. half melting , half freezing ..

.. 'According to climatereanalyzer, there's a 973 HPa low north of Novaya Zemlya.' .. a little of hurricane Sally made it .. gfs's anticipation of this event was extremely good .. b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5277
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2020, 01:42:17 PM »
According to climatereanalyzer, there's a 973 HPa low north of Novaya Zemlya.
You mean this one.....
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Darvince

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2020, 01:56:53 PM »
Considering the current SST situation, I expect there to be an unusually long lasting polynya in the ice in the ESS until a record late date, perhaps mid-November or so.

Milwen

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2020, 02:25:24 PM »
A little unusual thing is happening. Hurricane Teddy is heading towards Canada and according to forecast it will reach Greenland as Tropical/Subtropical storm. It is too soon to tell if it will affect Arctic in some way but worth to mention it.

Phil.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2020, 02:31:40 PM »
.. 'Today's images and animation' .. it looks like the 'meezing seazon' .. half melting , half freezing ..

.. 'According to climatereanalyzer, there's a 973 HPa low north of Novaya Zemlya.' .. a little of hurricane Sally made it .. gfs's anticipation of this event was extremely good .. b.c.
Current hurricane Teddy expected to hit S Greenland in a few days with tropical storm strength winds.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2020, 03:11:08 PM »
They actually aren't expecting a Greenlandic "Tropical/Subtropical storm" but are expecting a "powerful post-tropical cyclone" to approach Greenland's southern coast.

I find it curious the Hurricane Center shows projected storm strength through 5 days (typically) even when they expect the storm to lose 'tropical/subtropical' characteristics before the end of the forecast period.

Meanwhile, OT, Paulette, which hammered Bermuda a week ago, lost its tropical/subtropical characteristics when it dove into cooler waters, but, having turned south, regained them, so shows up on NOAA's Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook chart as Paulette (again).  I remember years ago some major hurricane that struck the Gulf Coast, lost its tropical characteristics overland (so stopped showing up on NOAA's chart), went out to sea over the mid-Atlantic states, turned south over the Atlantic and, having regained tropical characteristics, headed west a second time and crossed the Florida Peninsula as a named depression.  (Fortunately, it never regained storm  forced winds, but it would have been 'one for the history books'.)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

colchonero

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2020, 03:30:35 PM »
Wow.. Just how long is the Atlantic/Laptev refreeze going to take.. Large amounts of open water even by late November? Surely heading that way as there's been no cold air there whatsoever.

Yet the Beaufort has been cold and new ice has formed and we could see a fast refreeze here, the ice shape could be one of the strangest we have seen, at this rate the Bering Stright is more likely to freeze than the Laptev sea!

1. They are both very likely to freeze, for somebody that has never seen a freezing season before just to know. But I know what you meant. Which sea will freeze earlier.

2. There is almost no chance whatsoever, that Laptev won't freeze before there is any significant amount of ice in the Bering Sea, and Strait covered in ice. Laptev could be (very) late, depends on many  factors, (precondition, SST, LP/HP, wind, surface temperature  etc.) , but it certainly  won't be that late

The point is good, but to say it is more likely, is a bit of exaggeration.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2020, 03:58:24 PM »
Latest Five Day Forecast
Wind @ Surface
Wind + Temp @ 850hPa
Wind @ 250hPa
Large GiFS!
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 646
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2020, 04:34:49 PM »
Considering the current SST situation, I expect there to be an unusually long lasting polynya in the ice in the ESS until a record late date, perhaps mid-November or so.
Not so much polynya as just simply the seas not refreezing.

With so much insolation taken up this summer, combined with influxes of advected heat through intrusion of warmer southerly water on both sides of the Arctic, along with continued massive plumes of sensible and latent atmospheric heat (warm air, high moisture content), I'm expecting a refreeze along the lines of 2016/17, and a possible new low maximum.

Over the coming weeks, Siberia and eastern Europe will chill dramatically while the Arctic seas will remain quite warm.  There will be coastal freezing, but I expect the present heat and incoming storms through the fall will keep the ice at bay for a very long time, particularly in the Barents and Laptev.

On the Pacific side, I'm anticipating a late refreeze of the Chukchi, Okhotsk and Bering for much the same reasons, continuing and building on the trend we've seen the last few years in those regions.

I suspect the Beaufort, coastal Laptev and much of the ESS will freeze up fairly fast, again starting at existing ice edges or the coast, and leaving a warm gap between for some time.

The Kara I think is a wild card.  While it is shallow and close to the "cold continent", I think we're going to see a lot of flow into it from continuing tropical storms that will then sweep around counter-clockwise from it into the Arctic basin proper.  That may keep it open and the Atlantic side warmer for longer and generally reduce the desperately needed FDD's required for a strong refreeze and good volume production.

Not willing to speculate quantitatively on "Max" numbers yet even remotely, but both interested and concerned about what lies ahead.
This space for Rent.

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 646
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2020, 04:38:35 PM »
A little unusual thing is happening. Hurricane Teddy is heading towards Canada and according to forecast it will reach Greenland as Tropical/Subtropical storm. It is too soon to tell if it will affect Arctic in some way but worth to mention it.

That's a HUGE tropical storm force wind field.  That's going to drag a huge plume of moisture and heat along with it all the way to the high Arctic.
This space for Rent.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2020, 06:39:48 PM »

That's a HUGE tropical storm force wind field.  That's going to drag a huge plume of moisture and heat along with it all the way to the high Arctic.
GFS shows it being split into two as it hits the southern tip of Greenland on Friday - less energy heading into the Arctic ?

gandul

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2020, 12:17:33 AM »
Yeah.
Also the cyclonic circulation on Greenland is pulling Atlantic storms up all the way to the Arctic. Not sure what to make of this but it looks warmer than predicted last week, where a cold polar vortex seemed to emerge.
Judah Cohen predicts in fact this turn to anomalous warmth that can disrupt the formation of a not yet established polar vorteX

icefisher

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2020, 01:35:06 AM »
Tor, 1969 Hurricane Camille fits what you described above.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=hurricane+camille+facts

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2020, 10:13:07 AM »
Today's images and animation. Beaufort Sea still hasn't figured out what it's doing.
I recently joined the twitter thing, where I post more analysis, pics and animations: @Icy_Samuel

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1008
  • Likes Given: 1031
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2020, 10:26:14 AM »
'Tor, 1969 Hurricane Camille fits what you described above.'

.. more likely H. Ivan in 2004 ..I remember it only too well .. I had been disappointed with the impact 1st time around on the Gulf coast so I idly doodled a looping track that brought it back for a second go , then watched in disbelief as it happened ... b.c. .

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2F3%2F32%2FIvan_2004_track.png&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FMeteorological_history_of_Hurricane_Ivan&tbnid=P6Bdo1TZ0N3nBM&vet=12ahUKEwjvoKS7-v3rAhWa0uAKHY_WBw4QMygAegUIARDCAQ..i&docid=RE2Twa7wjeb1mM&w=2700&h=1669&q=hurricane%20ivan%20path&ved=2ahUKEwjvoKS7-v3rAhWa0uAKHY_WBw4QMygAegUIARDCAQ
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Paul

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 136
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2020, 12:59:02 PM »

1. They are both very likely to freeze, for somebody that has never seen a freezing season before just to know. But I know what you meant. Which sea will freeze earlier.

2. There is almost no chance whatsoever, that Laptev won't freeze before there is any significant amount of ice in the Bering Sea, and Strait covered in ice. Laptev could be (very) late, depends on many  factors, (precondition, SST, LP/HP, wind, surface temperature  etc.) , but it certainly  won't be that late

The point is good, but to say it is more likely, is a bit of exaggeration.

Yes, it's an exageration i must point out, it's just the fact the Laptev once again is going to hace a slow refreeze like we saw in 2018 and 19 but this year could well be unprecedented how slow it could be. The Bering Stright has seen more cooler temperatures whilst the Laptev has barely had any cold so SSTS are way above normal. I think aslong weather patterns allow it, the Bering Stright might refreeze quicker this year but we shall see.

Iain

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2020, 01:00:19 PM »
Interested in late season movement of ice in the CAA.

My Hycom link shows up to date concentration and  thickness, but ice drift is from 2019

https://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/GLBhycomcice1-12/arctic.html

Is there a new site for drift, or is that product discontinued?
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2020, 01:23:30 PM »
I look forward to seeing if this freezing season peaks in the lowest maximum in history.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2020, 03:46:46 PM »
Latest Five Day Forecast
Wind + Temp @ Surface
Large GiF!

WTF happened?

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2020, 04:50:50 PM »
10 days of refreezing (Sep 13th to 22nd). Nearly 6mb, click to play

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2020, 11:15:28 PM »
I look forward to seeing if this freezing season peaks in the lowest maximum in history.

Surely it's much too early to say.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2020, 02:09:51 AM »
Latest Five Day Forecast
Wind + Temp @ Surface
Large GiF!

I forgot I already did temp today...  :-[
I'll do moisture tomorrow...

That storm is turning out to be the worst case scenario for the North Greenland ice, with winds over 60 km/h...  :'(

This is the last 24 and next 48 hours.

WTF happened?

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2020, 06:53:45 AM »
September 19-23.

OffTheGrid

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 61
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2020, 08:55:16 AM »
Well. With Mosaic basically proving that the best piece of ice in the best position on the Atlantic side of the Lomonosov ridge LOST thickness on its entire transit from October to may, from 7m to 5m, through constant bottom melt, and never froze it's soggy core. And now that they can cruise at open water efficiency, from laptev to Fram north of 86 latitude, and never register any fresh freezable layer...
 There appears to be no such thing as a Arctic sea ice freezing season anymore in this half of the Arctic basin.
Therefore I suggest a poll to rename this forum the SiAlCa sea ice forum. Hopefully there will be a few years while those elements hydrated minerals can still stay cold enough to remain solid on those sectors polar seas. Unlike Venus.
Wry and somewhat twisted that this bad half joke may sound.

<To make such claims you need to point out the source. I am not aware of any such findings. O>
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 06:38:12 PM by oren »

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2020, 10:41:37 AM »
Today's images and animation, with the transformation of the Beaufort tail into the Beaufort loop, once again.
(As always, a larger version of the animation on my twitter: https://twitter.com/Icy_Samuel/status/1309048320669691905)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3582
  • Likes Given: 3914
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2020, 12:50:51 PM »
From the looks of it, it appears the MYI in the Beaufort tail is still melting, moving around in southerly waters and with temps apparently not low enough. More of a graveyard than an ice preserve. This tail will not serve as the backbone of a resilient Beaufort next year.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2020, 02:48:17 PM »
Latest Five Day Forecast
Wind @ Surface + Total Precipitable Water
Wind + Temp @ 850hPa
Large GiFS!

WTF happened?

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 458
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2020, 10:22:36 PM »
From the looks of it, it appears the MYI in the Beaufort tail is still melting, moving around in southerly waters and with temps apparently not low enough. More of a graveyard than an ice preserve. This tail will not serve as the backbone of a resilient Beaufort next year.

ESRL/PSL agrees. They suggest agressive bottom melting of 2cm per day through the forecast period. Further west around the dateline, there is a bit of bottom growth for a time, before more forecast southerlies put a stop to the growth.

aslan

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2020, 09:26:00 AM »
Well. With Mosaic basically proving that the best piece of ice in the best position on the Atlantic side of the Lomonosov ridge LOST thickness on its entire transit from October to may, from 7m to 5m, through constant bottom melt, and never froze it's soggy core. And now that they can cruise at open water efficiency, from laptev to Fram north of 86 latitude, and never register any fresh freezable layer...
 There appears to be no such thing as a Arctic sea ice freezing season anymore in this half of the Arctic basin.
Therefore I suggest a poll to rename this forum the SiAlCa sea ice forum. Hopefully there will be a few years while those elements hydrated minerals can still stay cold enough to remain solid on those sectors polar seas. Unlike Venus.
Wry and somewhat twisted that this bad half joke may sound.

On the Atlantic side, it is looking like that the halocline has taken a serious hit. And the weather is totaly nuts on the russian islands. As of the 24th, the record of the most crazy anomaly is probably for Ostrov Golomnjannyj. The current mean temperature, 4.7°C, is 4° (!) above the old record of 2012, and even 2°C above the warmest month ever recorded, August 1932. Every day have broken their daily record, 15 days had a Tx above the old monthly record, and even one Tn was above the monthly record of Tx... And all of this with 71 mm of rain (and I mean, really rain, liquid water at 5°C), wich is more than three time the normal monthly precipitation amount. From Ostrov Heiss to Ostrov Kotel'Nyj, crossing Khatanga and Ostrov Vize, mean monthly temperature are going to be 2 to 4°C above previous record, and going to be more than 3 sigma above normal. Seing such and anomaly over such an area (we are speaking of something like more than 2 millions of km² or 0.5% of Earth surface) for a monthly mean is unprecedent.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 09:34:10 AM by aslan »

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2020, 11:20:16 AM »
Today's images and animation

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3582
  • Likes Given: 3914
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2020, 12:03:56 PM »
the weather is totaly nuts on the russian islands
Thank you aslan for bringing these updates. The weather behavior in that region is almost a statistical impossibility. The pattern is stuck.

paolo

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 493
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2020, 03:37:51 PM »
Thanks Aslan for the weather data which explains well the presence of snow/firnpack saturated with water even in today's image (almost the end of September)

By the way, a post by Mauri Pelto on the Leningradskiy Ice Cap (Svernaya Zemlya Archipelago) was recently released:
https://blogs.agu.org/fromaglaciersperspective/2020/09/14/leningradskiy-ice-cap-snowcover-vanishes-in-2020-more-thinning-svernaya-zemlya/

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2020, 04:58:07 PM »
Latest Five Day Forecast
Wind + Temp @ Surface
Large GiF!

WTF happened?

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2020, 05:10:22 PM »

And the weather is totaly nuts on the russian islands. As of the 24th, the record of the most crazy anomaly is probably for Ostrov Golomnjannyj. The current mean temperature, 4.7°C, is 4° (!) above the old record of 2012, and even 2°C above the warmest month ever recorded, August 1932. Every day have broken their daily record, 15 days had a Tx above the old monthly record, and even one Tn was above the monthly record of Tx... And all of this with 71 mm of rain (and I mean, really rain, liquid water at 5°C), wich is more than three time the normal monthly precipitation amount. From Ostrov Heiss to Ostrov Kotel'Nyj, crossing Khatanga and Ostrov Vize, mean monthly temperature are going to be 2 to 4°C above previous record, and going to be more than 3 sigma above normal. Seing such and anomaly over such an area (we are speaking of something like more than 2 millions of km² or 0.5% of Earth surface) for a monthly mean is unprecedent.
I attach the snow anomaly map from Noco Sun's website @ https://cryospherecomputing.tk/index.html
and from https://ccin.ca/ccw/snow/current - Snow Cover Extent, which shows almost no new snow in Eurasia this month. (What snow exists is mostly on The Tibetan Plateau / Himalaya)

RoxTheGeologist

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 188
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2020, 08:47:22 PM »

And the weather is totaly nuts on the russian islands. As of the 24th, the record of the most crazy anomaly is probably for Ostrov Golomnjannyj. The current mean temperature, 4.7°C, is 4° (!) above the old record of 2012, and even 2°C above the warmest month ever recorded, August 1932. Every day have broken their daily record, 15 days had a Tx above the old monthly record, and even one Tn was above the monthly record of Tx... And all of this with 71 mm of rain (and I mean, really rain, liquid water at 5°C), wich is more than three time the normal monthly precipitation amount. From Ostrov Heiss to Ostrov Kotel'Nyj, crossing Khatanga and Ostrov Vize, mean monthly temperature are going to be 2 to 4°C above previous record, and going to be more than 3 sigma above normal. Seing such and anomaly over such an area (we are speaking of something like more than 2 millions of km² or 0.5% of Earth surface) for a monthly mean is unprecedent.
I attach the snow anomaly map from Noco Sun's website @ https://cryospherecomputing.tk/index.html
and from https://ccin.ca/ccw/snow/current - Snow Cover Extent, which shows almost no new snow in Eurasia this month. (What snow exists is mostly on The Tibetan Plateau / Himalaya)

Snow is a good insulator - so not having any is a good thing as the weather cools. It allows more heat to emit into space. The fact that there is rain rather than snow and there's so much extra heat to lose - now that is very worrying.

gandul

« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2020, 12:55:29 AM »
Not sure much heat is escaping with the disrupted weather right now and all the North Atlantic storms pouring in right now. We have a long freezing season ahead.

The EC predicts a super ridge sit over the pole at day 10. Not that it’s gonna happen, but it would not be still and quiet for the ice pack in any case.

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2020, 07:00:00 AM »
September 21-25.

I’M IN LOVE WITH A RAGER

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 126
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2020, 07:02:01 AM »
The Canadian and Siberian fronts look like 2 totally different animals progression-wise right now

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 922
  • Likes Given: 224
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2020, 09:02:14 AM »
September 21-25.

WOW

The Atlantic Front pushes beyond 85 N again. Amazing

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2020, 12:42:13 PM »
Todays images an animation

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2020, 01:17:11 PM »
September 21-25.

WOW

The Atlantic Front pushes beyond 85 N again. Amazing

Closest point is 503 km from the N. Pole