Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What is your likeability?  (Read 1684 times)

Tom_Mazanec

What is your likeability?
« on: November 03, 2020, 01:34:14 PM »
Let us define likeability as Liked/Posts.
For example, my current likability is 627/3704 (it will be 3705 after I post this) = ~0.17
Stephan's (to pick a random poster) is 487/1382 = ~0.35, so Stephan is about twice as likeable as me.
Who is the forum champion?

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
Re: What is your likeability?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 06:49:42 AM »
worth  a reply i guess.
I have a high like ratio on this blog.
About .5
In the real world my views are  marginalized and I find it hard to relate to the "normal" person I encounter.
Because.
First and foremost I have what they call Asperger syndrome this simply means  I dont think like "normal" person. I/100 ...
2nd is IQ apparently mine is something like 2 sd to the right . another 1/100....
On this forum both of my differences are approaching normal hence what I have to say often resonates  with  the average person on here.
What does  my high like ratio mean to me ?
It makes me feel I am among my peers and a valued contributor with views worth considering rather than feeling alone in an incomprehensible uncomprehending world .
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 07:21:10 AM »
KG, that post earned another 'like' from me!  ;D
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 09:24:58 AM »
Good for you KiwiGriff, im a glad you feel valued here.

If we want to get really mathematical, the "like to post ratio" should be divided by the ratio of

"Posts after like feature was introduced" /
"Posts before like feature was introduced"
Bunch of small python Arctic Apps:
https://github.com/SimonF92/Arctic

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 923
  • Likes Given: 225
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 09:36:46 AM »
First and foremost I have what they call Asperger syndrome this simply means  I dont think like "normal" person. I/100 ...

Who on this thread doesn't have Asperger's? You are well within normalcy here :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 01:12:01 PM by El Cid »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 01:41:45 PM »
A scary? thought....

If those who voted in the US election are used as a guide, Trump's likeability approaches 50%.
So is he as or even more more likeable than anyone on this forum?

Other thoughts...

And then one can like the post but not the poster?
And does one shy away from posting stuff that one feels people on this forum will dislike?
And choose stuff to post that is likely to get a like?

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 571
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 01:53:13 PM »
worth  a reply i guess.
I have a high like ratio on this blog.
About .5
In the real world my views are  marginalized and I find it hard to relate to the "normal" person I encounter.
Because.
2nd is IQ apparently mine is something like 2 sd to the right . another 1/100....
On this forum both of my differences are approaching normal hence what I have to say often resonates  with  the average person on here.
What does  my high like ratio mean to me ?
It makes me feel I am among my peers and a valued contributor with views worth considering rather than feeling alone in an incomprehensible uncomprehending world .

I gave that a like because:

Although I don't think I have aspergers or a high IQ however even though I rarely post I still feel like "I am among my peers" or more accurately like minded people much more than in real life where people very rarely if ever share my views on the urgency of the need for emissions reductions.

BTW no idea of my like ratio as it would be meaningless on such a small sample.

Another thought is that a few of my posts would most likely be before the like feature was added which would scew the result. I guess this would not favor the long time posters that have been here forever ?

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 03:43:51 PM »
A scary? thought....

If those who voted in the US election are used as a guide, Trump's likeability approaches 50%.
So is he as or even more more likeable than anyone on this forum?

Other thoughts...

And then one can like the post but not the poster?
And does one shy away from posting stuff that one feels people on this forum will dislike?
And choose stuff to post that is likely to get a like?
A scary?  thought provoking  thought....
Mayhaps the word like is wrong.
Also called karma again wrong.

It is possible to manipulate your  quota of likes by deliberately making comments that fit into the norms of a forum. Personally I get more strokes from making a comment that results in healthy interesting debate rather than a furry of "me to" likes.

Some like your good self gerontocrat  put an immense amount of effort into adding content like your ongoing data presentations that is not reflected in your like count  even though most of us to appreciate your effort. In the past I have reached out and PMed a personal thanks to commentators who  offer such untiring unrewarded  content or as I have just done to you made a public deceleration of appreciation.   I  find being on the receiving end of such interactions hold more weight than collating anonymous hits on  the  like button.

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.