Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Future of CryosphereComputing  (Read 1605 times)

Tealight

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • CryosphereComputing
  • Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 17
The Future of CryosphereComputing
« on: December 05, 2020, 05:38:37 AM »
The website has not been accessible for over a week because I lost internet access and the website domain registration did run out.

In the meantime you can go to:
https://nicosun.github.io/CryosphereComputing_Webpage/

The free domain registration for the .tk top level domain is over. In the future I would have to pay for this name. The only provider of .tk domains is Freenom, but I am having some technical issues with them. This means I want to switch to a new top-level domain provider. I either choose the .com ending or another short domain that is related to science.

At the moment everything is still updated daily by my main computer which I use for other work, gaming, etc. If I lose internet access the website will not get any updates. Windows also is not the best operating system with its forced updates to run reliable scheduled tasks. I could rent a dedicated virtual server, but this will cost a few dollars per month. A dedicated server will be more reliable and if I choose to host the whole website on the server, it opens up the possibility to add more features like custom user defined calculation or more interactive graphs.  At the moment the website is just a collection of webpages that look the same for everybody. You could literally download a whole webpage and run it locally.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 11:09:56 PM by Tealight »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
Re: The Future of CryosphereComputing
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 01:36:34 PM »
Hi Nico i am more then willing to chip in for the server.

PS: I added a link in the Arctic subforum for those who never look at The Rest.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 01:42:51 PM by kassy »
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 01:54:52 PM »
Tealight, I run a server on Amazon AWS at no cost (its 1Gb RAM, 1CPU, 8Gb storage for the deployment, which is why its free).

You could go that route if youre worried about costs- it will be a bit slow though.

Additionally, when we were doing some MOSAiC stuff I convinced Amazon to donate to the website as it was a non-profit Arctic thing. They gave me a few hundred dollars. This will comfortably cover redirects to your domain name, they charge $0.40/million queries for the first billion.

That being said, if you leave a tip-jar on the website, im sure people will contribute (I would)
Bunch of small python Arctic Apps:
https://github.com/SimonF92/Arctic

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 02:39:43 PM »
I've been waiting to find a place to put back some of the loot ASIF gave me - Nico Sun's stuff is pure magic so there we go...

Nico - please find a way including a tip jar. Paypal is waiting for you.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Tealight

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • CryosphereComputing
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 12:01:27 AM »
Thanks to anyone who responded. The website is back online. For now I bought another year of the .tk domain. If I decide to switch to .com next year there will be a transition phase where both domains will work and it will be advertised on the homepage.

@SimonF92
How did you convince Amazon to donate? Through AWS customer service or do they have a program to support scientific websites?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »
Great website, I am sure donations will be available if you let them.

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 09:38:30 AM »
Nico, i applied through this.

Because it was MOSAiC stuff, i went heavy on the whole "educating about climate change" during the application.

https://aws.amazon.com/government-education/nonprofits/

NB just looked at that link, dont pay anything if you do decide to do this, I didnt have to pay anything- they emailed me with the offer to apply after I had the webpage running.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:54:44 AM by SimonF92 »
Bunch of small python Arctic Apps:
https://github.com/SimonF92/Arctic

Tealight

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • CryosphereComputing
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 01:11:44 AM »
@SimonF92