Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The 2021 melting season  (Read 515652 times)

glennbuck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 133
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: The 2021 melting season
« Reply #350 on: April 27, 2021, 09:59:44 PM »
There is a big change around Svalbard compared to last year, April 25th 2021 vs July 26th 2020!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 10:37:07 PM by glennbuck »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3520
  • Likes Given: 756
« Reply #351 on: April 27, 2021, 10:32:24 PM »
The 'Heat Bombs' Destroying Arctic Sea Ice
https://phys.org/news/2021-04-arctic-sea-ice.html

A team led by physical oceanographers at Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California San Diego, and including Bangor University scientist, shows in a new study how plumes of warm water are flowing into the Arctic Ocean from the Pacific Ocean and accelerating sea ice melt from below.

The research primarily funded by the Office of Naval Research describes so-called underwater "heat bombs" as one of many mechanisms by which global warming-driven encroachment is changing the nature of the Arctic Ocean faster than nearly any other place on Earth. It adds to a growing body of evidence that suggests that Arctic sea ice, a source of global climate stability, could disappear for larger portions of the year.

"The rate of accelerating sea ice melt in the Arctic has been hard to predict accurately, in part because of all of the complex local feedbacks between ice, ocean and atmosphere; this work showcases the large role in warming that ocean water plays as part of those feedbacks," said Jennifer MacKinnon, a physical oceanographer at Scripps, chief scientist of the expedition, and lead author of the paper.

The study appears in the journal Nature Communications.

Because this water is saltier than the Arctic surface water, it is dense enough to "subduct," or dive beneath, the fresh Arctic surface layer. Its movement creates pockets of very warm water that lurk below surface waters. Scientists have been seeing these pockets of warm sub-surface water strengthen over the last decade.

These pockets known as "heat bombs'' are just stable enough to be able to last for months or years, swirling far north beneath the main ice pack near the north pole, and destabilizing that ice as the heat in them gradually but steadily diffuses upwards to melt the ice. Until now, though, the process by which the warm water subducts has neither been observed nor understood. Without that understanding, climate scientists have been unable to include this important effect in forecast models, some of which under-predict accelerating sea ice melt rates. Given that the influx of warm Pacific origin water has been growing over the past decade or so, this work adds to a growing body of evidence that Arctic sea ice, a source of global climate stability, could disappear for large portions of the year.

In a 2018 expedition funded by the US Office of Naval Research, scientists for the first time caught one of these dramatic subduction events in the act. The group used a combination of novel oceanographic instruments developed by the Multiscale Ocean Dynamics group at Scripps, satellite observations analyzed by colleagues at the University of Miami, profiling float data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, biological samples collected by British and German colleagues working in a project known as Changing Arctic Ocean, and detailed data analysis by colleagues at several other institutions. ...

Jennifer A. MacKinnon et al. A warm jet in a cold ocean, Nature Communications (2021)
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-22505-5

Abstract:

Unprecedented quantities of heat are entering the Pacific sector of the Arctic Ocean through Bering Strait, particularly during summer months. Though some heat is lost to the atmosphere during autumn cooling, a significant fraction of the incoming warm, salty water subducts (dives beneath) below a cooler fresher layer of near-surface water, subsequently extending hundreds of kilometers into the Beaufort Gyre. Upward turbulent mixing of these sub-surface pockets of heat is likely accelerating sea ice melt in the region. Crucially, the processes seen here occur at small horizontal scales not resolved by regional forecast models or climate simulations; new parameterizations must be developed that accurately represent the physics.

...The growing heat content of the PSW sub-surface layer has a first-order effect on accelerating sea ice melt rates in this region, in several ways6,15,19. In the short term, the fate of subducted heat may impact the timing of sea ice growth in late autumn, if it remains close enough to the surface to be rapidly mixed upwards by strong fall storms20. Longer-term and basin-wide, the observed rate of Arctic sea ice decline thermodynamically requires only a 1 W m−2 imbalance in heat exchange between ocean and atmosphere7. Annually averaged, heat flux rates through Barrow Canyon were 3 TW in 201021, a value that has likely grown in the last decade8. If all the heat entering through Barrow Canyon subducted and spread out evenly sub-surface within the BG, that would lead to a warming rate for that layer of 3 W m−2 15.  Observations show that the heat content of the sub-surface PSW within the BG has nearly doubled over the last 30 years15. If all this heat were turbulently mixed upwards, it could melt more than a meter of sea ice15.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5258
« Reply #352 on: April 27, 2021, 10:39:52 PM »
And our knowledge increases. I love scientists.  :) (even when it may be bad news)
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 895
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #353 on: April 27, 2021, 10:44:39 PM »
Jennifer A. MacKinnon et al.

More from Jennifer MacKinnon aboard R/V Sikuliaq in the Beaufort Sea:

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1385.msg63827.html#msg63827
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Fractious

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #354 on: April 27, 2021, 11:47:51 PM »

"In a 2018 expedition funded by the US Office of Naval Research, scientists for the first time caught one of these dramatic subduction events in the act. The group used a combination of novel oceanographic instruments developed by the "
2020 Artic Ice Extent will be 14,610,011

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2176
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #355 on: April 28, 2021, 12:51:12 AM »
Heat bombs

No mention of them in Jennifer A MacKinnon's paper. A more considered description

A warm jet in a cold ocean   my font size
The primary motivation for this work is thus to observe and identify the processes by which PSW subducts. It may seem intuitive that this incoming warm but salty (denser) water would slide under the fresh (lighter) surface water in the BG. However, water of different densities may stably sit side by side in the ocean when the pressure force associated with density gradients is balanced by the Coriolis force acting on currents that flow perpendicular to density gradients, or along fronts27. This type of geostrophic balance is common especially in large-scale oceanic and atmospheric systems. In order for PSW to subduct, something has to break that geostrophic balance. Some PSW may subduct through wind-driven Ekman pumping along the edge of the Chukchi shelf, analogous to ventilation of the thermocline at mid-latitudes13, though more recent work argues this effect is modest28. However the warmest water that subducts to enter the BG travels through Barrow Canyon in late summer as a surface-intensified current16,29,30. Some of the Barrow Canyon outflow has been observed flowing in currents that hug the continental slope towards both the East and West, depending on complex combinations of wind and buoyancy forcing31,32,33. Those currents may in turn be subject to instabilities that facilitate exchanges with the basin interior33,34,35. Yet the process of warm PSW subduction in the Arctic has not been previously observed in detail. Here we present observations of instabilities and warm PSW subduction occurring directly downstream of the Barrow Canyon outflow, and argue that the process of subduction is directly related to meanders in that outflow.

Hyperbole may have outlived its purpose these days
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 12:57:41 AM by uniquorn »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 28, 2021, 01:16:21 AM »
^ re: 'heat bombs'

Appearently Bangor University's PR news group thought it was a clever turn of phrase during their interview with the researcher; I prefer yours more.

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/news/the-heat-bombs-destroying-arctic-sea-ice
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 464
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #357 on: April 28, 2021, 02:19:13 AM »
There is a big change going in from Svalbard compared to last year, April 25th 2021 vs July 26th 2020!

The Norwegian Ice Service give near daily updates on the Svalbard sea ice area. In recent days (April 26th) it was 9th lowest.

On April 23rd it was third lowest. Only 1984 (319,142 sq km) and 2006 (221,754 sq km) were lower.

And on April 6th it was at the lowest area, for that day of the year, in records dating back to 1967.

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 651
  • Likes Given: 245
« Reply #358 on: April 28, 2021, 04:26:06 AM »
Worldview, April 19-26. I wonder if winds can take significant amount of snow from the ice into open water.
It's extraordinarily vulnerable, and more like how the ice would look in August rather than April. 

Really!? Usually by August the ice is much thinner and that looks obvious from above. I'm not entirely sure what to make of it though as around that area did seem to struggle to thicken compared to other parts of the basin however we all know the ice could look totally different within a months time.
I can't speak to thickness, and my comment is mostly subjective. 

I'm going on visual review of ice going back in EOSDIS Worldview, and drawing on 7 years of regular observation of ice conditions while participating on the forums.
This space for Rent.

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 881
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #359 on: April 28, 2021, 06:35:32 AM »
Worldview, April 19-26. I wonder if winds can take significant amount of snow from the ice into open water.
It's extraordinarily vulnerable, and more like how the ice would look in August rather than April. 

Really!? Usually by August the ice is much thinner and that looks obvious from above. I'm not entirely sure what to make of it though as around that area did seem to struggle to thicken compared to other parts of the basin however we all know the ice could look totally different within a months time.
I can't speak to thickness, and my comment is mostly subjective. 

I'm going on visual review of ice going back in EOSDIS Worldview, and drawing on 7 years of regular observation of ice conditions while participating on the forums.
I'm surprised at how obvious it is to visually judge the thickness of the ice from satelilte photography. Until now, most people have argued that seen from above, thickness cannot be reliably ascertained. But if it is obvious, well then, that settles it then.,
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 28, 2021, 08:47:52 AM »
Apparently Bangor University's PR news group thought it was a clever turn of phrase during their interview with the researcher;

However the video proudly displaying the term, highlighted in yellow, was produced by Scripps Oceanography.

Which came first? The chicken or the egg?
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 28, 2021, 09:03:25 AM »
In case anybody else is interested it seems there will be some Arctic presentations at vEGU today.

Starting now at:

https://meetings.copernicus.org/egu21/livesession/39733.html

Taking screenshots and/or recording the proceedings is not permitted :(

P.S. It seems to be starting with data acquisition for the ocean in general rather than the Arctic in particular. CMEMS mainly.

N.B. GLORYS12 reanalysis at 1/12 degree and ORAP6 at 1/4 degree

P.P.S. "Classification of Sea Ice Types in Sentinel-1 SAR Data Using Convolutional Neural Networks:"

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/12/13/2165
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 09:53:48 AM by Jim Hunt »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 28, 2021, 10:59:14 AM »
Feedback from Angélique Melet.

Copy'n'paste from the vEGU chat is disabled too!

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 28, 2021, 11:19:08 AM »
An interesting presentation on neXtSIM-F by Tim Williams.

Trying to get his permission to share. This is in the public domain though:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/334525093_Presentation_and_evaluation_of_the_Arctic_sea_ice_forecasting_system_neXtSIM-F
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 11:39:00 AM by Jim Hunt »

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5258
« Reply #364 on: April 28, 2021, 11:24:54 AM »

I can't speak to thickness
I'm surprised at how obvious it is to visually judge the thickness

???
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5308
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #365 on: April 28, 2021, 01:00:23 PM »
JAXA sea ice extent showed a gain today. Not surprising given the sea ice drift, and won't be a surprise (at least to me) if sea ice gains happen in the next few days given the GFS wind forecast.

click images to enlarge
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 28, 2021, 01:09:11 PM »
An interesting presentation on neXtSIM-F by Tim Williams.
Trying to get his permission to share. This is in the public domain though:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/334525093_Presentation_and_evaluation_of_the_Arctic_sea_ice_forecasting_system_neXtSIM-F

That is a very comprehensive description of neXtSIM-F. Dependence on CS2SMOS and ASCAT is going to make forecasting more difficult for that product over summer.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3943
« Reply #367 on: April 28, 2021, 01:15:50 PM »
JAXA sea ice extent showed a gain today. Not surprising given the sea ice drift, and won't be a surprise (at least to me) if sea ice gains happen in the next few days given the GFS wind forecast.
The sustained export pattern is continuing. A very bad start to the melting season in the CAB, replacing thick cold-core ice with newly created ice in leads. Especially bad with high volume in the region being exported from, at least according to some of the thickness products.

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 28, 2021, 01:18:04 PM »
The sustained export pattern is continuing. A very bad start to the melting season in the CAB, replacing thick cold-core ice with newly created ice in leads. Especially bad with high volume in the region being exported from, at least according to some of the thickness products.

Not only drift. Those cold northerlies producing some light refreeze in the Barents.
1. awi amsr2 v104, apr22-28
2. 2 polarview S1A images from this morning (roughly stitched together)

Agreed, the export pattern is bad. New Barents ice wont last long either.

3. A closer look at export between FJL and Svalbard using rammb, apr25-28  https://col.st/mjZHf  (6MB)
What is the name for that stretch of water?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 02:01:22 PM by uniquorn »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 28, 2021, 03:29:01 PM »
I took 2 Bremen AMSR2 images for 21 April and 27 April - NIC colours - and made a gif.

I know that meltponds etc can cause artefacts and confusion with these images, but nevertheless I get two main impressions from the gif:-
- a major shift of the ice pack from the Pacific end to the Atlantic end, and a disintegration of the sea ice all down the East coast of Greenland.

Click gif to start
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 04:25:49 PM by gerontocrat »

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1140
  • Likes Given: 680
« Reply #370 on: April 28, 2021, 04:12:53 PM »
Somewhere in the Beaufort Sea, 250m per pixel. It looks worse compared to 2019-2020.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 28, 2021, 05:28:23 PM »
Tim Williams has kindly given his permission to share some neXtSIM-F screenshots, so let's try these ones for starters:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 28, 2021, 05:38:57 PM »
At the vEGU I also ultimately found myself in a one-on-one breakout session with Professor John Huthnance of the UK's National Oceanographic Centre.

Our conversation touched on Ekman transport, drifters versus gliders, UK electric vehicle charging infrastructure and even Prof. Peter Wadhams!

P.S. And I almost forgot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor%E2%80%93Proudman_theorem
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 10:17:17 PM by Jim Hunt »

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 28, 2021, 05:43:12 PM »
I took 2 Bremen AMSR2 images for 21 April and 27 April - NIC colours - and made a gif.

I know that meltponds etc can cause artefacts and confusion with these images, but nevertheless I get two main impressions from the gif:-
- a major shift of the ice pack from the Pacific end to the Atlantic end, and a disintegration of the sea ice all down the East coast of Greenland.

Maybe better to use ascat for a movement comparison, day111 and 117
Though there are 3 days missing this week.

The flaking on the Atlantic side is worth looking at further. Here is a comparison of day117 from 2010 to 2021
As noted up thread, 2014 had some flaking, 2018 also but a smaller area.
2013117 was missing, 2013118 is here
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 06:08:34 PM by uniquorn »

Pagophilus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 434
  • Likes Given: 581
« Reply #374 on: April 28, 2021, 07:14:13 PM »

Click gif to start

Thanks for the gif.  That major icepack shift to the Atlantic side is really evident.  Agreed on the disintegration of the sea ice down the coast of Greenland, but oddly enough that disintegration is currently much less pronounced south of 70 N.   At least on Worldview below (first image), the ice south of 70 N looks more continuous and its outer edge is not fraying nearly as much.  The Cold Blob in operation???

As to the persistent low concentration of the icecap indicated by AMSR 2 centered roughly at 77N, 150W, Worldview continues to show no visible signs (to my eyes at least) of meltponding or of low concentration (second image below).  Presumably the AMSR 2 'low concentration' is caused by something -- a weather effect seems too persistent -- what could it be?  Could meltponds be developing this early in this part of the icepack?   It ain't low concentration, that's all I know.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 07:20:09 PM by Pagophilus »
You may delay, but time will not.   Benjamin Franklin.

Pagophilus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: April 28, 2021, 08:35:07 PM »

So as long as this pattern continues, 'good' news (in the form of greater ice extent, greater ice area compared to some previous years, semi-cheerful graph plots) is really bad news (ice, much of it thick, spreading and leaving the CAB to melt out fairly quickly in the North Atlantic).  Jeez, let's hope the Pacific front has better tidings for us moving forward... 

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 28, 2021, 09:44:33 PM »
That is a very comprehensive description of neXtSIM-F.

Tim informs me that he has just uploaded a newer version of that paper to ResearchGate.

Make sure you get (have got?) hold of "tc-2019-154-manuscript-version4.pdf"

johnm33

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #377 on: April 29, 2021, 08:50:44 AM »
Another look at amsr2 from 19:04-28:04
edit replaced gif with mp4 which shows the ocean movement better
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 03:36:08 PM by johnm33 »

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 29, 2021, 11:01:18 AM »
April 23-28.

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 679
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #379 on: April 29, 2021, 11:01:49 AM »
Here's a look at some of the regional sea ice changes over the last 6 days
I recently joined the twitter thing, where I post more analysis, pics and animations: @Icy_Samuel

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 29, 2021, 01:02:37 PM »
Another look at amsr2 from 19:04-28:04

Poor resolution on the polarview AMSR2.
AWI-v104 is much better, it shows the surface features moving with the drift and the probable real low concentration area to the bottom left.

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #381 on: April 29, 2021, 02:25:45 PM »
The ice in the southern Lake Baikal is starting to shatter.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 29, 2021, 02:51:16 PM »
Sea ice drift was impressive yesterday; & perhaps 3 more days before pattern starts to change?

Pagophilus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 29, 2021, 02:53:06 PM »
One week's motion of the heavily fractured zone of ice between Svalbard-FJL and the Pole.  April 22-29.  The pole is at the extreme left, about halfway down (or up) the frame.

Warning.  Largish file 

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 29, 2021, 03:02:26 PM »
One week's motion of the heavily fractured zone of ice between Svalbard-FJL and the Pole.  April 22-29.
Nice. Not many large floes actually make it across the WSC to the Barents but I think surface salinity and temperature lowers as it melts, making it easier to refreeze on the Barents side. If the conditions are favourable for refreeze.

Ossifrage

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #385 on: April 29, 2021, 03:26:33 PM »
Sea ice drift was impressive yesterday; & perhaps 3 more days before pattern starts to change?

That drift pattern is... not good. The last couple of years have seen quite a bit of clockwise rotational drift, especially along the CAA/CAB sector. That's also been bad, dumping MYI into the Beaufort. In theory, this transpolar drift pattern could maneuver some of that ice back into the pack and sort of circle it around to where it was "supposed" to be (not that doing so fixes the problem).

But I'm doubtful it's going to work out that way. In any case, anything shoved into the Atlantic is even more doomed than ice stuffed into the Beaufort.

Pagophilus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 29, 2021, 04:12:11 PM »
One week's motion of the heavily fractured zone of ice between Svalbard-FJL and the Pole.  April 22-29.
Nice. Not many large floes actually make it across the WSC to the Barents but I think surface salinity and temperature lowers as it melts, making it easier to refreeze on the Barents side. If the conditions are favourable for refreeze.

Thank you.   I think many of the large floes are breaking into small pieces as they approach the FJL-Svalbard line, and they then proceed as smaller floes -- perhaps that was understood from your message, though...  It may well be that an easier refreeze on the Barents side will result from the mass of floes entering the Barents and melting and creating a freshwater layer, but of course that will only be a temporary respite.  Any big storm entering the Barents would probably accelerate surface mixing.

Now that you mention all this, it may be that extent/area may grow even further in the Atlantic as this 'spreading and refreezing' process occurs, leaving the possibility of a large extent crash on the Atlantic side in the coming weeks...

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 29, 2021, 07:10:32 PM »
The latest GFS is a bit sinister with rapid retreat of snow in Siberia, persistent high over Greenland and above normal temperatures in the Arctic Ocean itself. May is coming and it's time for the weather to decide about early start.

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 29, 2021, 08:18:31 PM »
I think many of the large floes are breaking into small pieces as they approach the FJL-Svalbard line, and they then proceed as smaller floes

Tidal motion is probably amplified between the Islands and the shelf break where the depth changes rapidly from ~300m to ~3000m. The cracks can be seen opening wider over the shallower water. The rotational movement puts extra strain on the ice. And for a little way north of the islands the water contains more heat.

added wipneus amsr2 regional extent for barents.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 10:35:20 PM by uniquorn »

Pagophilus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 29, 2021, 08:24:44 PM »
I think many of the large floes are breaking into small pieces as they approach the FJL-Svalbard line, and they then proceed as smaller floes

Tidal motion is probably amplified between the Islands and the shelf break where the depth changes rapidly from ~300m to ~3000m. The cracks can be seen opening wider over the shallower water. The rotational movement puts extra strain on the ice. And for a little way north of the islands the water contains more heat.

I now know more, and also am reminded of how much more I have to learn.  Thank you on both counts -- it makes more sense now when I see those floes suddenly break into fragments.

Pagophilus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 29, 2021, 08:42:53 PM »
The northern edge of the heavy ice fracturing is still at around 300km from the pole, ominous given that the ice pack itself has been moving steadily south in this region.  That probably means new fractures are forming.

The nature of the fracturing nearer the pole and on the Greenland side seems to be changing... formerly it was in the form of large flake-like floe formation, and now it seems to have shifted towards fairly intense parallel fractures, pointing accusingly towards Greenland.  Perhaps produced by the main ice pack moving towards the Atlantic and 'trying' to get around Greenland in the process?

Much more can be gleaned from uniquorn's ascat animations upthread.  The large flake floes have an easterly as well as a northerly origin.  Second image below is to help give a wider context.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 09:07:07 PM by Pagophilus »

romett1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #391 on: April 29, 2021, 10:44:38 PM »
The latest GFS is a bit sinister with rapid retreat of snow in Siberia, persistent high over Greenland and above normal temperatures in the Arctic Ocean itself. May is coming and it's time for the weather to decide about early start.
Interesting that central parts of Norway (and Sweden) are getting lot of snow in May. But seems logical as the ice and winds are pressing south generating those cloud streets.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 29, 2021, 11:28:58 PM »
not sure where to put this, old news, but they have data now ...

Icebreaker's Cyclone Encounter Reveals Faster Sea Ice Decline
https://phys.org/news/2021-04-icebreaker-cyclone-encounter-reveals-faster.html

In August 2016 a massive storm on par with a Category 2 hurricane churned in the Arctic Ocean. The cyclone led to the third-lowest sea ice extent ever recorded. But what made the Great Arctic Cyclone of 2016 particularly appealing to scientists was the proximity of the Korean icebreaker Araon.

For the first time ever, scientists were able to see exactly what happens to the ocean and sea ice when a cyclone hits. University of Alaska Fairbanks researchers and their international colleagues recently published a new study showing that sea ice declined 5.7 times faster than normal during the storm. They were also able to prove that the rapid decline was driven by cyclone-triggered processes within the ocean.

Thanks to the ship's position so close to the storm, Xiangdong and his team were able to explain that cyclone-related sea ice loss is primarily due to two physical ocean processes.

First, strong spinning winds force the surface water to move away from the cyclone. This draws deeper warm water to the surface. Despite this warm water upwelling, a small layer of cool water remains directly beneath the sea ice.

That's where a second process comes into play. The strong cyclone winds act like a blender, mixing the surface water.

Together, the warm water upwelling and the surface turbulence warm the entire upper ocean water column and melt the sea ice from below.

... Although the August storm raged for only 10 days, there were lasting effects.

"It's not just the storm itself," explained Zhang. "It has lingering effects because of the enhanced ice-albedo feedback."

The enlarged patches of open water from the storm absorb more heat, which melts more sea ice, causing even more open water. From Aug. 13-22, the amount of sea ice in the entire Arctic Ocean declined by 230,000 square miles, an area more than twice the size of the state of Arizona.

Liran Peng et al, Role of Intense Arctic Storm in Accelerating Summer Sea Ice Melt: An In Situ Observational Study, Geophysical Research Letters (2021)
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2021GL092714

... Diagnostic analysis indicates a net energy loss at the ice surface, not supporting the accelerated melting. Although the open water surface gained net heat energy, it was insufficient to increase the mixed‐layer temperature to the observed values. Dynamic analysis suggests that storm‐driven increase in ocean mixing and upward Ekman pumping of the Pacific‐origin warm water tremendously increased oceanic heat flux. The thermal advection by the Ekman pumping led to a warmed mixed layer by 0.05°C–0.12°C and, in consequence, an increased basal sea ice melt rate by 0.1–1.7 cm day−1.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3943
« Reply #393 on: April 29, 2021, 11:35:57 PM »
Great info, this should also be copied to a more scientific (and lasting) thread. I will try to find an appropriate one.

Paul

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 138
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #394 on: April 30, 2021, 01:47:42 AM »

Does the GFS not do this every year though? One can't argue though after the first 10 days of April which had quite cold conditions, if has been a well above average month and my impression remains temperatures do still look above average across the basin.

Yet despite that, the weather outlook does look fairly quiet across the basin, no deep lows, some weak areas of high pressure and moderate at best winds. It's just ashame the temperatures are not as low as one imagine they should be.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 30, 2021, 09:11:23 AM »
The Beaufort Sea has joined the ever growing list of coastal "cracks":

https://GreatWhiteCon.info/2021/04/facts-about-the-arctic-in-april-2021/#Apr-30

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 30, 2021, 09:25:25 AM »
Does the GFS not do this every year though?

Forecasts are different every year. Looking at nullschool 850 hPa, in 2020 there was a large piece of cold air in the Arctic Ocean. There is no such thing this year.

I am not sure if quiet and mostly clear sky weather favorable for the ice now, especially with above normal temperatures. It could be a month ago but early May and later? Gaps are barely refreezing and sunlight is becoming as strong as in early August.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 30, 2021, 09:27:22 AM »
Icebreaker's Cyclone Encounter Reveals Faster Sea Ice Decline

The Great Arctic Cyclone of 2016? Somebody's been reading "Snow White's" blog!

https://GreatWhiteCon.info/2016/08/the-great-arctic-cyclone-of-2016/

Araon wasn't the only vessel in the path of the storm:

The crew of the yacht Northabout are currently sailing along the western shore of the Laptev Sea and reported earlier today that:

The sea is calm. Tomorrow a gale 8. But this moment is perfect.

That perfect moment will not last long.

I interviewed David Hempleman-Adams about the succeeding moments once Northabout had returned to the UK. It seems riding out the cyclone was the most frightening experience he had ever had.

Whilst the storm raged Ben Edwards did his homework:

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 30, 2021, 11:49:12 AM »
Barents southerly drift and refreeze continues.
awi amsr2 v104, apr23-29
tiny gif size warning

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 30, 2021, 03:05:37 PM »
Sea ice drift continues unabated