Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Sea Level due to Antarctic accelerated melt -- Artic slow  (Read 2175 times)

shmengie

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Sea Level due to Antarctic accelerated melt -- Artic slow
« on: December 07, 2016, 08:18:33 PM »
According to historical charts, the sea ice has more or less conformed to a consistent pattern thru the course of seasons in a year.

This year the ice area and/or extent are off by a month from recorded history...

I know there are a lot of factors that influence sea level, but this unprecedented low sea ice may have an unprecedented effect on February's sea level...  Since February-March is typically the low global ice area/extents, it seems reasonable to anticipate they will reach the lowest recorded in history.

Argh... I'm not a scientist, but following (what seems to me) simple logic, this would be the case.  I expect the sea levels to be a centimeter or two above average gain.  Is that a reasonable?
Professor Trump, who'd thought it was that complicated?

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
Re: Sea Level due to Antarctic accelerated melt -- Artic slow
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:48:33 PM »
Most ice missing is floating sea ice not really adding much to sea level increase.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:55:10 PM »
Most ice missing is floating sea ice not really adding much to sea level increase.

I'm afraid that the most likely outcome of the increased melt in Antarctica....will be increased temperatures in the atmosphere AND the southern oceans.  Oh boy...more feedback effects... :'(
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 11:11:37 PM »
This doesn't warrant a separate thread, as it fits in plenty of others, and it's in the wrong category, and the word Arctic is spelled wrong in the title, which is a deadly sin on the ASIF.  ;)
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith