Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: L. Bistrup Bræ / Storstrømmen / Dove Bugt / North East Greenland  (Read 39206 times)

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: L. Bistrup Bræ / Storstrømmen / Dove Bugt / North East Greenland
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2019, 08:45:37 AM »
Actually all 3 of them are calving into the sea (Borgfjorden and Dove Bugt):
Have a ice day!

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2019, 01:26:43 PM »

I meant they are not calving into the ocean as a means of retreat. I apologize for being less than clear. Espen thank you for your vast trove of knowledge.

No worries. Sorry I couldn't resist the joke comment.

NotaDenier

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2019, 01:13:54 PM »
Espen so when the two glaciers separate Bredebræ is kaput?

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2019, 01:25:55 PM »
Espen so when the two glaciers separate Bredebræ is kaput?

Or earsplittenloudenboomer?
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2020, 10:44:41 AM »
Some calving activity is seen at Storstrømmen / L. Bistrup Bræ / Bredebræ:

Please click on image to animate!
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2020, 08:43:20 AM »
L. Bistrup Bræ: A very large and rare calving occured between September 16 and September 17 2020:

IP GEUS dont touch!

Please click on image to animate and enlarge!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 08:48:48 AM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2020, 10:35:26 PM »
Before GEUS or anyone else comes to a hasty conclusion. The retreat of the glaciers is seen before.
But note Borgjøkelen to the left retreated to some extent, and to the south Lindhard Ø was released from the icesheet and became a real island,
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,497.msg214739.html#msg214739

and would be on the top 10 list of Danish Islands if it was located in Denmark, by the way this fact fact was never mentioned by either GEUS or any Danish Media, and to my knowledge Greenland is still a part of Denmark, if not sold to Trump in the meantime!

IP Geus dont touch!

Please click to animate and enlarge!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 10:57:53 PM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2021, 11:19:46 PM »
Another release of an island from the Icesheet of Greenland and Storstrømmen, this is not the first time watch the animation above from the early days of Landsat in the 70ties.
The island released is a part of Bræ Øerne in Borgfjorden watch the animation here, is about 1 km2 and the highest point at 129 meter.

Please click on the image to enlarge and animate!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 12:18:54 AM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2022, 06:22:12 PM »
The Storstrømmen Complex:
This very interesting part of North East Greenland, did see a few fascinating changes in the period spanning Feb 2015 to Feb 2022. The confluence glacier Bredebræ fed by the 2 glaciers Storstrømmen and L. Bistrup Bræ, lost a relative large amount of ice, due to in my oppinion the understream melt from Randsøen that again is supplied with water from various sources, since the 2 glaciers making up Bredebræ (Strorstrømmen and L. Bistrup Bræ) are hardly moving at all, less than a few hundred meters in 7 years?

Several islands showed up or were released from the Ice Sheet. The most important was the release of the large island Lindhard Ø (marked # 3).
One island from the group of islands, Bræøerne was released as well (marked # 1).
A new unnamed and unmapped island showed up (marked # 2) an additional Sentinel-2 image is shown below.

The retreat of Borjøkelen a landterminating glacier is clear.

Please click on image to enlarge and animate!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 10:38:52 PM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2022, 08:49:32 PM »
Thanks Espen,
as always a good presentation of things that happen up there far away from us all.
A long-term comparison is very useful. Although the things up there are not as dramatic as in Pine Island or Thwaites, changes are visible. I think it is just a matter of time when Bredebræ and Storstrømmen will be separated. Then they should speed up...
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

Often Distant

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2022, 03:58:07 AM »
Melt pond drainage forcing fracture.
Climate change is exploited and exacerbated for unsustainable motor nuisance scooters and bikes to block street access across most cities. It only ever gets worse. Heavier than people. Wider than footpaths. Carelessly declared child toys in NZ. Terminable batteries explode toxic emissions on expiry.

Often Distant

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2023, 04:10:20 AM »
The first animation is a long play view displaying calving activity for the year since sunrise, focusing mostly on L. Bistrup Bræ. The second animation is a closer look at last few months, zoomed out and then in. The other gifs are further rough explorations of deteriorating inland ice feed.
Climate change is exploited and exacerbated for unsustainable motor nuisance scooters and bikes to block street access across most cities. It only ever gets worse. Heavier than people. Wider than footpaths. Carelessly declared child toys in NZ. Terminable batteries explode toxic emissions on expiry.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2023, 10:28:26 AM »
Hi, OD. Many thanks for the long term animations you are providing in many threads. Just a small request, I find that animations are more effective when they are faster. At least my lazy brain has trouble integrating the information when the images are too separated from each other in time. A delay of 400-800 milliseconds per image works best, in my experience, with a final image delay of 3-5 seconds.
For example, I think the top animation of your post can be made more digestible with settings of 40 and 400 in EZGIF.
Edit: For some reason the animation size increased when I changed the delays, then I optimized it and now it looks bad. But I'm keeping it here as an example for the flow speed I'm recommending.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 10:35:30 AM by oren »

Often Distant

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2023, 08:29:51 AM »
Another animation through the entire melt season from sun rise to sun set focused on Storstrømmen. The shape of the glacier doesn't change much looking down on it, but surface water is interesting to follow using Sentinel 2 Short Wave Infrared. Seems when it's not snowing there's melting the whole time. Perhaps there is a lot of rain. The gif is fast play which works well with the settings. I think animations generally need to be slow if there are changing lighting and weather conditions, such as shadow angles and clouds. When quick they become eyesores with too much data to follow. Depending on the activity on display it's usually useful to see both fast and slow and long and short. I include a faster version of the melt season gif from above with images divided by sun angles into two groups that run as separate clips within the one gif. With less data it's an interesting alternative easier to focus on various features changing through time lapse. L. Bistrup Bræ seems far more vulnerable to becoming pulverised from inside out first as it's a scrambled mess, and looks to be detaching from another pivot point.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2023, 12:32:26 PM »
Excellent, thanks a lot for your thoughtful response.