Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Greenland melting season 2022  (Read 3356 times)

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
Greenland melting season 2022
« on: March 03, 2022, 03:42:33 PM »
General purpose thread for discussing conditions in Greenland that doesn't fit in other threads.

Some resources:

SMB data: http://polarportal.dk/en/greenland/surface-conditions/ (And gerontocrat's thread)
Melt extent data and news: https://nsidc.org/greenland-today/
A webcam: https://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/freya1/

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
Re: Greenland melting season 2022
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 03:44:42 PM »
To begin with: the Freya webcam is back online today after the winter sleep. And it looks like there is less snow than last year at this date.

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 02:39:39 PM »
Here's a little animation from the Freya webcam showing a small knoll that has become exposed and keep growing larger every year. Photo from same date every year 2019-2022. It shows clearly how the glacier is thinning.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5304
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 01:10:21 PM »
Freya Webcam July 1, 9, 16

Looks like it's warm up there.

click image to start
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 01:18:44 PM by gerontocrat »
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

trm1958

• Frazil ice
  • Will civilization survive Climate Breakdown?
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 03:14:01 AM »
Greenland Loses 6 Billion Tons of Ice in 3 Days, Harbinger of Unprecedented Coastal Flooding
The Independent reported this week on a massive ice melt in Greenland, with on the order of 6 billion tons of ice lost in three days. The melting was because of a heat wave at the top of the world, caused by our burning coal, gasoline, and methane gas and spewing billions of tons of the dangerous heat-trapping gas carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
I think it was René Marsh and Angela Fritz at CNN who came up with the explanation of what 6 billion tons of ice melt looks like, saying it was enough to put the entire state of West Virginia under a foot of water.
https://www.commondreams.org/views/2022/07/24/greenland-loses-6-billion-tons-ice-3-days-harbinger-unprecedented-coastal-flooding

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5304
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 08:16:18 AM »
Freya Webcam July 1, 9, 16, 23

Looks like it's warm up there.

click gif to start, runs 4 times
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 10:19:38 PM »
Thank you for that animation.
You kinda read my mind as I was just preparing a posting on Freya Gletscher.
Right behind the rocky ridge in the center that falls steep down to the glacier you can see how fast the glacier is melting. I marked it in the actual picture and in a picture from six years ago in a green square. Where once used to be ice (or snow on ice) since 2021 there is now rock. Check for yourself, if you like, by clicking down the years on the website: https://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/freya1/  (2017 is not working).

A comparable meltdown is to be seen further left (orange square). grixm has already pointed out to that "growing knoll" in May.
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

paolo

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 493
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 11:09:39 PM »
A small assessment of the season for the Freya Glacier :

I chose as images from the two webcams those of the day of 31/08/2022, a warm and rainy day which, even if cloudy, particularly highlights the exposed ice.  Afterwards, new snow will be deposited and, even if there is some melting afterwards, the exposed ice is less visible.

The first image is from the Webcam2 which frames the upper part of the glacier, the part up the slope and completely exposed in the centre of the image, as well as the first part of the central area of the glacier.

The second image is that of the Webcam1 which frames the central part, as well as the terminal part on the right

The central and terminal parts have lost all snow cover and also in the upper part there are large areas of exposed ice.
The balance of this glacier is also this year severely negative!

The third image is an animation related to the Webcam2, one image per day between 04/09 and 13/09. The part that I find particularly interesting is the depression on the right which will fill with melt water before emptying completely. This shows that the melting continued also in early September.

The fourth image is an animation based on 4 Sentinel2 images all from 25/08, but with different configurations: natural colour at L1C and L2A level and Short wave infrared composite (SWIR) at L1C and L2A level. Each configuration has its advantages and disadvantages, that's why I wanted to present it together (Sentinel2 and Landsat are the only resources for all other glaciers).

Click twice to enlarge the first two images completely and to animate and enlarge the two animations

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 08:04:08 AM »
Paolo,

Thank you for showing this fine series of pictures. It is by all means part of the documentation of a 'rotten glacier's demise.

From the looks of it, it is evident that the ice tongue to the right of the main ridge is approching 'dead ice' status. Almost everything on the lefthand side of the ridge looks like melting superimposed ice. Nowhere in the accumulation zone do we see fresh snow or dry snow.

Even considering the alternatives, this sad tale of a former potent and really cool Greenlandic glacier speaks for itself.