Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: "Smart" and "Stupid" Questions - Feel Free To Ask  (Read 628716 times)

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 392
  • Likes Given: 98
Re: "Stupid" Questions :o
« Reply #3350 on: June 25, 2020, 11:11:36 AM »
binntho, perhaps you missed this?

That's common knowledge while the question was about nuclear power station not nuclear war.
<snip>
(bolding by me)
No I did not! Of course not! Why do you ask? My comment was about nuclear winter (which was what prompted your original question to Sebastian) and pointed out that nuclear winters are caused when large thermonuclear devices explode at or near the surface of the earth.

I did not see any need to specify that therefore it could not apply to nuclear powerstation meltdown. Why should that have been necessary? Wasn't it clear from the context? I wrote:
a nuclear winter would be a result of the vast amounts of dust pushed up into the upper stratosphere by thermonuclear warheads exploding at or in the surface.

Which obviously makes the point that a nuclear winter does not result from nuclear powerstation meltout or any other types of disaster. It only results from large thermonuclear explosions.
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

Sebastian Jones

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #3351 on: June 25, 2020, 05:44:13 PM »
My apologies everyone.
Of course the melting down of nuclear power plants, unless they were to detonate like a nuclear bomb, would not trigger a nuclear winter.

I clearly confused "Stupid" questions with dumb answers.

I shall not do that again.

KenB

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3352 on: June 26, 2020, 02:49:53 AM »
[Moved here from "The 2020 Melting Season" thread]

I asked:  Hi Folks,
  ...why is it that the ice is thickest immediately north of the CAA?  Has this always been the case or is it a recent development?  Thanks! 

Oren replied:  Welcome KenB. This fits better in the questions thread but the basic answer is yes, it's "always" been the case, there is a general drift from the direction of Siberia towards CAA/Greenland. Watch this video to get the hang of things.  [see enlightening video in 2020 MS thread]

Thanks, Oren!   From this video, the root cause seems like it might be that there's a general clockwise circulation as seen looking down from the North Pole (Coriolis effect?) and the CAA is kind of a "collector" for this circulation, possibly because it extends almost as far N. as Greenland, but is in the 'lee' (as it were) of Greenland itself.  The video suggests the physics is more like that of a viscous liquid than a solid. 

Apropos of that, tonight we made chocolate gelato and watched a viscous liquid slowly morph into a (almost) solid.  Now it's really hardening in the freezer :-).

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: June 26, 2020, 08:04:01 AM »
I clearly confused "Stupid" questions with dumb answers.
8) good one!
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 306
  • Likes Given: 16273
« Reply #3354 on: June 26, 2020, 03:45:18 PM »
binntho, I owe you an apology for my misunderstanding.

It would've been clearer to me if you had written "Nuclear winter is only possible by detonation of nuclear warheads.".
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 05:16:16 PM by oren »
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 561
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #3355 on: June 26, 2020, 03:55:56 PM »
Not only that, or Tsar Bomba would have affected the weather. The explosions have to be such as to generate giant firestorms. Even conflagrations aren’t enough...it has to be a mountainous tornado of fire as opposed to a sea of fire.
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: June 27, 2020, 05:58:20 AM »
binntho, I owe you an apology for my misunderstanding.

It would've been clearer to me if you had written "Nuclear winter is only possible by detonation of nuclear warheads.".
Apology accepted, and extra clarity promised in the future! And as Sebastian points out, just because the questions are "stupid" doesn't mean that the answers have to be dumb - I guess we all fall into that trap every now and then.

KenB

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: "Smart" and "Stupid" Questions - Feel Free To Ask
« Reply #3357 on: June 30, 2020, 03:25:57 PM »
Is there an inventory of Arctic stations and their sensors?  I tried googling and didn't find much. 
As an example, I recently found out what a pyrheliometer is and I now know there's one in Alert (thanks to GAWLab).  Found myself wondering where there were others, and then from there where there were other sensors.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1630
  • Likes Given: 1581
« Reply #3358 on: June 30, 2020, 05:26:29 PM »
Most Arctic stations (except some Alaska stations for some reason) provide SYNOP reports and are available via various websites. Some use METAR instead or in addition. Warning: I have no clue what or why this is, I am just a practical user.
I personally use ogimet (a Spanish website) for individual stations. It has a map showing all stations in an area which is quite useful (and works most of the time). However, I am not aware of a list of the special instruments in  various stations.
Link to ogimet map (requires panning, zooming out and selecting desired variable such as max temp, not very friendly):
https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/ogimet_nav?lang=en&lat=75N&lon=-075

Link to the reports by a specific station (Eureka):
https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=71917&ndays=30&ano=2020&mes=6&day=30&hora=15&min=13

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 306
  • Likes Given: 16273
« Reply #3359 on: July 01, 2020, 04:50:51 AM »
oren, I got this from my Firefox browser when I clicked on the ogimet.com links:
Firefox detected an issue and did not continue to www.ogimet.com. The website is either misconfigured or your computer clock is set to the wrong time.

It’s likely the website’s certificate is expired, which prevents Firefox from connecting securely. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.
(my computer time matches the forum time)

This doesn't say whether the site itself is bad. I won't visit that page because I'm careful.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

blumenkraft

• Young ice
  • Fans of Hans Ø Club - circa 2018
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1466
  • Likes Given: 2296
« Reply #3360 on: July 01, 2020, 07:56:06 AM »
It's a privacy issue, not a security issue. It's HTTP instead of HTTPS (due to the expired certificate).

So if you don't have a problem with everyone knowing you are visiting this site, it's fine to go there.
“I’m an introvert. I’m just different that’s all. I’m so sorry. I don’t have a gun. I don’t do that stuff... All I was trying to do was to become better. I’ll do it... You all are phenomenal. You are beautiful. And I love you. Try to forgive me. I’m sorry.”

Elijah McClain

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: July 01, 2020, 08:26:05 AM »
The site is legit. This issue with https started yesterday, hopefully it will be resolved soon. But I am sure other sites can be used as well for the same purpose.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3362 on: July 01, 2020, 08:39:31 PM »
Re: everyone knowing you are visiting this site

Using https will not disguise the fact that you are visiting this site, it only conceals the material on the site that you are looking at, not the fact that you visited this site.

If you want to conceal the sites that you are visiting, use Tor  or such.

sidd
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 08:45:51 PM by sidd »

blumenkraft

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: July 01, 2020, 08:58:17 PM »
Absolutely right, Sidd! Thanks for the correction.
“I’m an introvert. I’m just different that’s all. I’m so sorry. I don’t have a gun. I don’t do that stuff... All I was trying to do was to become better. I’ll do it... You all are phenomenal. You are beautiful. And I love you. Try to forgive me. I’m sorry.”

Elijah McClain

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3364 on: July 02, 2020, 07:47:07 AM »
[Probably better in another thread, but relevant ]

Re: more https

https security depends on the security of the CA (the guy, call him Joe, that issues the certificate to the site you are visiting)

If you are sufficiently paranoid (as i am on occasion) you will question if Joe is himself secure. Especially since every government in the world as well as many, many other non state entities realize that breaking the small number of Joes of this world and getting the keys to every site that Joe issued a cert for is much easier than breaking the vast number of each site individually ...

sidd

Freegrass

• Nilas ice
  • None but our self can free our minds
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 360
  • Likes Given: 424
« Reply #3365 on: July 04, 2020, 01:53:03 AM »
If the entire ice pack starts rotating, will that cause Ekman pumping and thus more bottom melting?
Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: July 04, 2020, 09:08:17 AM »
Not being a hydrologist or a coriolis-ist, I think the answer is yes.
In my world, the rule of thumb is that any movement of ice increases bottom melt as it increases the rate of transfer of energy and salinity between the ice and the water column. Or in layman words, stirring a glass containing water and ice hastens the melt-out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekman_transport
Ekman transport is part of Ekman motion theory, first investigated in 1902 by Vagn Walfrid Ekman. Winds are the main source of energy for ocean circulation, and Ekman Transport is a component of wind-driven ocean current. Ekman transport occurs when ocean surface waters are influenced by the friction force acting on them via the wind. As the wind blows it casts a friction force on the ocean surface that drags the upper 10-100m of the water column with it. However, due to the influence of the Coriolis effect, the ocean water moves at a 90° angle from the direction of the surface wind. The direction of transport is dependent on the hemisphere: in the northern hemisphere, transport occurs at 90° clockwise from wind direction, while in the southern hemisphere it occurs at a 90° counterclockwise. This phenomenon was first noted by Fridtjof Nansen, who recorded that ice transport appeared to occur at an angle to the wind direction during his Arctic expedition during the 1890s. Ekman transport has significant impacts on the biogeochemical properties of the world's oceans. This is because they lead to upwelling (Ekman suction) and downwelling (Ekman pumping) in order to obey mass conservation laws. Mass conservation, in reference to Ekman transfer, requires that any water displaced within an area must be replenished. This can be done by either Ekman suction or Ekman pumping depending on wind patterns.

ajouis

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #3367 on: July 05, 2020, 07:29:50 AM »
I have seen some people here say there is no real academic evidence for an amoc slowdown, while I have seen studies backing it up, am I missing something?

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 561
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #3368 on: July 05, 2020, 09:59:02 AM »
Here is a question:
We are now a fraction of a degree hotter than the Holocene Maximum. How do we compare with the Eemian?
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1123
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #3369 on: July 05, 2020, 06:00:31 PM »
Well that is the territory we are heading for but it lasted 15k years or so and of course we don´t have exact temps just measures of peak warmth and other proxies. The north sea was 2 degrees celsius hotter then now so that will take a while.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

mw

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #3370 on: July 06, 2020, 06:13:14 PM »
Hi!

Is this a "surge" on Komsomolets Island (see the link below) similar to what happend on October Revolution Island with Vavilov?

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?v=645479.0871456721,807844.0165125381,699239.0871456721,837348.0165125381&p=arctic

Thanks for the forum!

Best regards!

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: Today at 03:31:45 AM »
Welcome mw!
My tired eyes can't see what you are referring to, but maybe someone else can, or you can direct us to the specific part of the image you are referring to and what other date to compare it to.

blumenkraft

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: Today at 10:27:10 AM »
Hi!

Hey there, welcome to the forum! :)

Is this a "surge" on Komsomolets Island (see the link below) similar to what happend on October Revolution Island with Vavilov?

(If you are talking about the polynya:)

For how i see it, it works like that: The snow on the rocks melts, flows onto the ice, stays there for a while until it drains through the ice. The draining makes holes into the ice that are getting bigger during the melting season.

But yes, it seems likely to me that you would have an upwelling in this area. This is also a factor to consider.

Elijah McClain

Jim Hunt

• Young ice
  • Stay Home, Save Lives
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 429
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #3373 on: Today at 11:47:49 AM »

(If you are talking about the polynya:)

I'm pretty sure MW is referring to the recent "surge" of the Vavilov Ice Cap into the ocean:

https://go.nasa.gov/2D90Fwf

Zooming out a bit at their link makes the proposed new "surge" more obvious?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

blumenkraft

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: Today at 11:54:10 AM »
Oh, OK. I totally misunderstood then. Sorry.

This ice cap is doing that for some while now, right! Now i remember.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/144790/a-surprising-surge-at-vavilov-ice-cap

Elijah McClain

Jim Hunt

• Young ice
  • Stay Home, Save Lives
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 429
  • Likes Given: 30
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

blumenkraft

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: Today at 12:53:06 PM »
And here as GIFs. First one over the years, second one January to July this year.

Elijah McClain