Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Places you would not expect to find Glaciers.  (Read 6265 times)

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
Places you would not expect to find Glaciers.
« on: December 12, 2022, 07:47:28 PM »
We begin this journey with a glacier situated only 70 km (44 mi) from the Caribbean Sea and presumeably sunny beaches.
It is Glaciar La Corona situated next to the second highest Venezuelan peak Pico Humboldt at 4,925 meters, the most unusual thing about this this glacier is it is based on a non volcanic base, the Andes start or ends here depending how you look at it of course.
But what we see many places across our planet this glacier will soon be history too, it is now down to only 29,200 m2 or 815 meters in circumference, compared to +/-13 km2 not too many years ago (before the satelitte age).
I expect Glaciar La Corona will be history in less than 5 years from now.

Glaciar La Corona is to the right in the animation!

Please click on the images to enlarge or animate!
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
Re: Places you would not expect to find Glaciers.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 03:21:48 PM »
Update Glaciar La Corona:
I just stumbled over some data from Landsat 1 (1972) I wanted to add to the story about this Venezuelan glacier and on top of that I added my suggestion to what the glacier looked like not so long ago before we went satelitte.

Please click on image to enlarge and animate!
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 08:57:56 PM »
We are continuing the trip to unusual glacier places. This time to the subtropic province of Yunnan in China.
140 kms West of Myanmar and 500 kms North of Laos is "Jade Dragon Snow Mountain", yes what a name, it is the southernmost glacier(system) in Eurasia, the largest continental area on Earth.
But like the previous glacier found in this thread the history of this glacier system is relatively soon comming to end, how soon I will not predict, you can judge by yourself:

Please click image to enlarge and animate!
Have a ice day!

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 07:50:53 AM »
Thank you Espen. This thread is another sad reminder of the long process of AGW.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 10:48:21 AM »
Thank you Espen. This thread is another sad reminder of the long process of AGW.
Being a pessimist (but sighing for some good news), Espen's gif is a another sad reminder of ever-accelerating AGW.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 04:39:53 PM »

Don't mention the war! :)
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 06:15:25 PM »
Update: Glaciar La Coruna - Pico Humboldt - Venezuela

Venezuela could be the first country in modern time to lose all glaciers or perennial ice, but there will soon be a few more (New Guinea, DRC (Zaire), Uganda and Kenya.

Glaciar La Coruna lost more than 65 % of area between 2015 (78.300 m2) and 2023 (27.300 m2).

Please click on image to animate!

Have a ice day!

Riverside

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 09:33:08 PM »
Based on that photo and a definition of a glacier as a compacted mass of ice and snow slowly moving under its own weight, it appears that Glacier La Coruna is no longer a glacier. That is, I would guess it is no longer moving. Except backwards.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 05:29:43 PM »
It might very well still move down slope a tiny bit? Not for long but it is hard to tell the scale for these pictures.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 09:57:41 PM »
Based on that photo and a definition of a glacier as a compacted mass of ice and snow slowly moving under its own weight, it appears that Glacier La Coruna is no longer a glacier. That is, I would guess it is no longer moving. Except backwards.

We are watching a hospice situation and whatever it was is irrelevant?
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 09:32:06 PM »
Soon to be history:
Venezuela is one of 4 "contenders" being the first country in modern time to lose all glaciers:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 10:13:24 PM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2023, 11:00:58 AM »
Here is another contender being the the first country in modern time to lose all glaciers.
This time Kenya and Mount Kenya the others are:
Puncak Jaya (Papua / Indonesia)
Humboldt  (Venezuela)
Rwenzori (Uganda and Democratic Republic of the Congo)

Kilimanjaro (Tanzania) is not included but it is a close contender

« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 11:10:19 AM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

RoxTheGeologist

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 188
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2023, 05:24:17 PM »

I thought the only glacier (one that moves) was/is the diamond couloir that flows down to create a fabulous ice climb. It was there in 1990 when I climbed mount Kenya. No, I didn't take my climbing axes.

https://www.summitpost.org/diamond-couloir-sunset-of-a-world-famous-ice-climbing/797065

Some nice pics in the link - it is a beautiful mountain.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2023, 04:57:11 PM »
Glaciar La Corona  - Pico Humboldt

The era of natural perennial ice in Venezuela will soon come to an end. Between January 2022 until May 5 2023 the ”glacier” lost 9.700 m2 (29 %) of ice surface and there is only 19.700 m2 left or less than the size of 3 soccer fields?
I also suspect it lost a lot of volume in same period from what I can tell.
It could be gone in less than 2 years?

Have a ice day!

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2023, 12:06:16 AM »
Really old glaciers. More details in the linked post.

Evidence of Earth’s Oldest Glaciers Found in South Africa

snip

and more:
https://eos.org/articles/evidence-of-earths-oldest-glaciers-found-in-south-africa
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2024, 12:25:40 PM »
Glaciar La Coruna / Pico Humboldt / Venezuela:

An update on the situation around Glaciar La Coruna.
As you can see, there is not much left of this former great glacier, it is by pixel count 17.200 m2 in area, in terms of volume there is probably not much left either and it is pure ice on the surface, so it can disappear with a few days' notice.
Incidentally, it is the last natural perennial ice left in all of Venezuela.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 08:11:51 PM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2024, 06:58:59 PM »
So will we get a rocks only picture this season?

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2024, 10:56:29 AM »
So will we get a rocks only picture this season?

I have no idea how much volume is left in the former glacier, but on January 25, 2024 there was 16,700 m2 left, so there are only months left, it should probably "survive" 2024, but could be gone during 2025 .

« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 11:44:57 AM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2024, 09:16:14 AM »
Humboldt Glacier, Venezuela, is currently losing about 500 m2/month and is now down to 16,000 m2 of ice surface (seen from a satellite).
But wait a second, Venezuela has a "brilliant" plan aimed at combating the effects of the climate crisis! Read more:
https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Venezuela-Seeks-to-Slow-Down-the-Humboldt-Glacier-Melting-20231207-0008.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 11:41:37 AM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2024, 03:28:18 PM »
Humboldt Glacier, Venezuela, is currently losing about 500 m2/month and is now down to 16,000 m2 of ice surface (seen from a satellite).
But wait a second, Venezuela has a "brilliant" plan aimed at combating the effects of the climate crisis! Read more:
https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Venezuela-Seeks-to-Slow-Down-the-Humboldt-Glacier-Melting-20231207-0008.html
Now that's sorted it's OK for Venezuela to pump oil as fast as they can?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2024, 11:55:37 AM »
Glaciar La Coruna, Venezuela update:
As you can see in the animation below, there is a visible retreat of the glacier / ice between January 5 and February 29 2024.

The dark parts on the surface of the remaining ice indicate surface melting and thinning, thus less volume, and this, at the same time as the edges of the ice recede, means that it can happen very quickly from now on before the end of all perennial ice in Venezuela is a fact.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 01:51:48 PM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2024, 01:11:44 PM »
A panic operation has been launched in Venezuela, apparently they are now covering the La Coruna glacier with plastic (PE):

I simply can't see any sensible purpose for this operation, with the small volume that is left of the "glacier" judging from the picture, there is maybe 1 - max 2 meters of ice thickness left, and with a plastic layer on top which in the worst case can work like a greenhouse and thus destroy the micro biology afterwards. Not to mention who will take care of all the plastic when the operation probably fails. Not Maduro I think?

https://english.elpais.com/climate/2024-03-05/a-thermal-cover-at-16500-feet-maduros-strategy-to-save-the-last-glacier-in-venezuela.html

https://www.gentedehoy.com/2024/02/21/operacion-corona-pico-humboldt-fanb-sobrevuela-glaciar-merida/

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www2/common/viewpage.asp?newsIdx=370174&categoryCode=501

https://noticialdia.com/al-dia/gobierno-afina-operacion-para-retrasar-el-derretimiento-del-pico-humboldt-el-ultimo-glaciar-nacional/#google_vignette

« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 01:48:07 PM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2024, 06:46:56 PM »
Pictures and text are from 21 February 2024 (very one-sided text):

Como merideño me siento orgulloso de pertenecer al equipo de héroes patriotas que estamos aportando un granito de arena para brindarle protección al último glaciar de Venezuela.

Me complace anunciar junto a mi hermano GD
@BelzaresRD
, el inicio de la 3ª fase de la Operación La Corona Glaciar Humbolt, la cual consiste en trasladar el material geotextil hasta el pico con el apoyo de nuestra Fuerza Armada Nacional Bolivariana a bordo de un helicóptero MI-17 acondicionado para la operación.

En expedición está conformada por 26 merideños encargados de hacer el campamento base en la Laguna Verde, además de 100 patriotas más encargados de las labores de soporte y logística conformados por organismos de seguridad, prevención, corposalud e instituciones del gobierno bolivariano.

Esta operación busca reducir la incidencia de los rayos del sol en la roca que rodea al glaciar para evitar el calentamiento de la misma. @JEHYSONGUZMAN
Have a ice day!

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2024, 08:43:17 AM »
google translate gives:-

As a Merideño, I feel proud to belong to the team of patriotic heroes who are contributing a grain of sand to provide protection to the last glacier in Venezuela.

I am pleased to announce with my brother GD
@BelzaresRD
, the beginning of the 3rd phase of Operation La Corona Humbolt Glacier, which consists of moving the geotextile material to the peak with the support of our Bolivarian National Armed Forces aboard an MI-17 helicopter equipped for the operation.

The expedition is made up of 26 Merideños in charge of making the base camp in Laguna Verde, in addition to 100 more patriots in charge of support and logistics tasks made up of security, prevention, body health organizations and institutions of the Bolivarian government.

This operation seeks to reduce the incidence of the sun's rays on the rock that surrounds the glacier to prevent its heating. @JEHYSONGUZMAN

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2024, 04:34:56 PM »
Rwensori Mountains, Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda:

Extremely rare "footage" from Rwensori Mountains.
The retreat of ice and glaciers is evident, spanning less than 6 years.

Have a ice day!