Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Image of the Day  (Read 894388 times)

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 460
  • Likes Given: 117
Re: Arctic Image of the Day
« Reply #1500 on: July 20, 2019, 09:35:48 PM »
Scientists write a eulogy/plaque on the demise of the Ok Glacier in Iceland. The first Icelandic glacier to succumb to the warming planet.

https://earther.gizmodo.com/scientists-wrote-a-eulogy-for-icelands-first-glacier-lo-1836542745

Google Maps view of the Ok mountain.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:58:09 AM by Niall Dollard »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #1501 on: July 21, 2019, 05:33:12 PM »
And that is how we know it´s the Ok glacier and not the OK glacier.  ::)

That text is really powerful.

If anyone could paste the danish text here (whole or from This Monument on) or pm it to me that would be great.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #1502 on: July 21, 2019, 09:18:22 PM »
Bréf til framtíðarinnar
Ok er fyrsti nafnkunni jökullinn til að missa titil sinn.
Á næstu 200 árum er talið að allir jöklar landsins dari sömu leið.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera.
Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

I hope I have written this Icelandic text without orthographic errors.
æ like Swedish or German "ä"
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

Cook

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #1503 on: July 21, 2019, 11:03:30 PM »
Thanks, Stephen. The Icelandic on that plaque is not that great. Here is my idea of an improvement:

Ok er fyrsti nafnkunni jökullinn sem missir titil sinn.
Á næstu 200 árum er talið að allir jöklar landsins fari sömu leið.
Þetta minnismerki sýnir að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera.
Þú veist hvað við gerðum.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #1504 on: July 22, 2019, 12:05:45 AM »
..nothing of consequence...

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 878
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #1505 on: July 22, 2019, 07:41:39 AM »
As can be seen from the pictures, Ok is an almost fully regular shield volcano. The name means (in modern Icelandic) something like "burden", as in "a heavy burden to bear" with the lesser known original meaning of an ox collar.

So basically the same as "yoke" in English.
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

Yuha

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1506 on: July 22, 2019, 09:56:14 AM »
The Ok Glacier hasn't been OK for a long time and now it's not even a glacier anymore.

Alphabet Hotel

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 179
« Reply #1507 on: July 22, 2019, 06:20:18 PM »
Bird!

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1508 on: July 22, 2019, 09:51:34 PM »
crosspost:
Thanks again everyone.
johnm33, I occasionally get incomplete contours, so I suppose I will try again, although if I zoom in that far it will be tricky to patch all the images together.
mitch, I've seen the letter sized map, I was hoping for something larger. Though it is pretty good when zoomed using acrobat. I'll try patching that together too.

I tried heavy contrast on the previous compilation and surprise, the contours are there. They are nearly all the same colour though. Here is the heavy contrast version, which satisfies me for now.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: July 22, 2019, 11:40:21 PM »
This is cool

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #1510 on: July 23, 2019, 07:14:03 PM »
Baffin Bay full of scattered icebergs looks like the starry night sky. Quite beautiful.

https://i.redd.it/1zaxpynw53c31.jpg

Alphabet Hotel

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: July 24, 2019, 09:11:11 PM »
Ice cap somewhere north of the 79N glacier. The patterns in the ice layers are mesmerizing.

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: July 27, 2019, 03:01:20 PM »
One of my Facebook friends commented on this picture which is how I got to see it - I've no idea where it is or who took the picture, but somewhere in Greenland seems most likely. Iceland or Norway do not have glaciers calving into the sea, but I think Alaska has ... anybody able to throw more light on this?
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true

Steven

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic sea ice data and graphs
  • Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #1513 on: July 27, 2019, 03:29:06 PM »
I've no idea where it is or who took the picture

That picture was taken by Christian Åslund in Svalbard:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/my-climate-action-q-a-aslund-arctic-glacier-greenpeace/

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: July 27, 2019, 03:37:12 PM »
I've no idea where it is or who took the picture

That picture was taken by Christian Åslund in Svalbard:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/my-climate-action-q-a-aslund-arctic-glacier-greenpeace/
Ok thanks! At least the new one is by him. The other pictures that go with that article are pretty amazing as well!

And I must admit that I had no idea that Svalbard had so many decent sized glaciers, even sea calving ones. It's clearly a bigger place than I had imagined.

philopek

« Reply #1515 on: July 27, 2019, 03:50:32 PM »
One of my Facebook friends commented on this picture which is how I got to see it - I've no idea where it is or who took the picture, but somewhere in Greenland seems most likely. Iceland or Norway do not have glaciers calving into the sea, but I think Alaska has ... anybody able to throw more light on this?

It's in Svalbard

Older Image is from March 1928

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: July 27, 2019, 06:50:31 PM »
90 years of destruction...those pictures should be posted next to eachother with the dates added.

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

RoxTheGeologist

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 188
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #1517 on: July 29, 2019, 08:06:59 PM »

The image is off a ice berg, and rather deceptive

philopek

« Reply #1518 on: July 29, 2019, 08:24:29 PM »

Which one, there are two images and then i think the difference is so huge and so obvious that deceptive is a bit an heavy term. Perhaps the perspective is chosen for greater effect but nevertheless there is an ice wall against no ice, no matter what.

If you disagree, no problem but then please elaborate so that a normal viewer can make up his mind, thanks.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: July 29, 2019, 09:12:30 PM »
The top of the second (of 2, probably not proper geologic counting) low hills is not even visible and the white stuff on the sides is gone in the second picture. What are we missing?

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: July 29, 2019, 09:22:41 PM »
GIF of two pictures.  I note the perspective is off a little:  the foreground peak, just visible in the 1928 image, is to the left of where it is in 2017.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

RoxTheGeologist

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 188
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #1521 on: July 29, 2019, 09:32:06 PM »

One is a picture of a floating iceberg in front of the boat. It could have come from anywhere. Find an old picture of an iceberg then take a picture without an iceberg there.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #1522 on: July 29, 2019, 09:33:28 PM »
Now where did I see those photos before ? :) .. b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: July 29, 2019, 09:42:47 PM »
Now I understand your point, Rox!

Klon

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0

Steven

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: July 29, 2019, 10:36:55 PM »

It's not an iceberg.  It's a glacier terminus.  Look at the other images that were posted in the article, e.g.

The mountain in the middle right of these images is the same mountain as in the images that were posted upthread. 

The location of the images in the article is Blomstrandbreen glacier in Svalbard.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1526 on: July 29, 2019, 10:51:34 PM »
Why is this top moving??
Have a ice day!

miki

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #1527 on: July 29, 2019, 10:59:08 PM »
Why is this top moving??

Low clouds?

philopek

« Reply #1528 on: July 29, 2019, 11:07:57 PM »

One is a picture of a floating iceberg in front of the boat. It could have come from anywhere. Find an old picture of an iceberg then take a picture without an iceberg there.

Ahhh.... I first understood that the image was taken from the top of an iceberg (off an iceberg), language barrier here, sorry, now i get it, it's not fast ice or a glacier but an iceberg passing by ;)
I thought it was "of and iceberg" so that's why I got it wrong

Thanks a lot because those images are used all over the web, one site even took the pictures as an example in a blog about Antarctica.

This kind of abuse and deception is not good for the case to reduce AGW indeed.

And then others say it's a glacier which is what i thought first too. Unfortunately i cannot verify the spot from an aerial image, only locals and  frequent visitors can do that, hence I'm a bit at a loss.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 11:13:55 PM by philopek »

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #1529 on: July 29, 2019, 11:19:38 PM »
Why is this top moving??

Simple, 1928 picture taken from a position to the right of where 2017 picture is taken from. The middle peak is clearer nearer than the two distant peaks.

or put another way, "I note the perspective is off a little"

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1530 on: July 29, 2019, 11:26:48 PM »
Why is this top moving??

Simple, 1928 picture taken from a position to the right of where 2017 picture is taken from. The middle peak is clearer nearer than the two distant peaks.

I understand what you are saying, but I find it strange?
Have a ice day!

Phil.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #1531 on: July 29, 2019, 11:47:47 PM »
Why is this top moving??

Looks like a slight change in perspective to me, trying to take a picture now to get exactly the same perspective is very difficult unless you have the exact spot for the first photo.

I understand what you are saying, but I find it strange?

Steven

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 30, 2019, 12:10:55 AM »
And then others say it's a glacier which is what i thought first too. Unfortunately i cannot verify the spot from an aerial image, only locals and  frequent visitors can do that, hence I'm a bit at a loss.

There are 7 pairs of images in the National Geographic article.  If you look at them closely, you can identify some parts of the landscape that appear in multiple images and get a better idea of the surroundings.

E.g. here are some of the images (1928 at top, 2017 at bottom), in which I drew a red ellipse around a mountain that appears in both of the 2017 images:

If you compare that with the corresponding 1928 images, I think this shows clearly that the images were taken at a glacier terminus, not an iceberg.   The 1928 image with the boat was probably taken very close to the glacier terminus (which is why it looks enormous there and hides much of the background mountains).

philopek

« Reply #1533 on: July 30, 2019, 01:04:51 AM »

There are 7 pairs of images in the National Geographic article.  If you look at them closely, you can identify some parts of the landscape that appear in multiple images and get a better idea of the surroundings.

E.g. here are some of the images (1928 at top, 2017 at bottom), in which I drew a red ellipse around a mountain that appears in both of the 2017 images:

If you compare that with the corresponding 1928 images, I think this shows clearly that the images were taken at a glacier terminus, not an iceberg.   The 1928 image with the boat was probably taken very close to the glacier terminus (which is why it looks enormous there and hides much of the background mountains).

Thanks, i think that settles it, good job :D

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 30, 2019, 03:52:21 AM »
I do think the 1928 picture may have been of the glacier's snout as suggested by the NG article; I will tend to trust the National Geographic.  Some glaciers have retreated that much.  See, for example, sliders on Glacier Bay, Alaska glaciers.

I've figured out that the '2nd' pair of pictures were taken from a place 'far' to the right and from a higher elevation than the 'with boat' pictures; the camera direction may be 45o different [e.g., if one pair of cameras is pointing due north, the other pair could be NE - I'm comparing the line in the 2017 pictures made by the glacier's 'right' edge (as we are viewing it)].  The left edge of the 1928 snout in the 2nd picture is some distance to the right of the right edge of the snout we see in the 'with boat' picture.

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 30, 2019, 06:34:56 AM »
Speaking from experience I am very sure that the front shown in the old picture is NOT an iceberg, but the terminus of the glacier.

A free-floating iceberg would have to break off from a glacier, and would never look like that in profile. Every time a glacier calves, the calf rotates in the water and doesn't look anything like what we are seeing in the photo.

I'm a bit worried that people would try to attribute these pictures to some kind of fraud. Do you find the changes too big to believe? Well, changes of that magnitude in that timeframe are easy to find when it comes to glaciers, even a lot bigger than the ones shown here!

Klon

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1536 on: July 30, 2019, 03:13:52 PM »
Oh, I was just being a little too strong in my sarcasm.  I was positive it was a glacial terminus, having boated around a few in Alaska.  It did get me to register after lurking for several years!

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: July 30, 2019, 05:29:33 PM »
Oh, I was just being a little too strong in my sarcasm.  I was positive it was a glacial terminus, having boated around a few in Alaska.  It did get me to register after lurking for several years!
Welcome, and a good start!

heartofsun

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1538 on: July 30, 2019, 08:50:10 PM »
Ice Elephant seal raising his head to take on the incoming low pressure system coming into the Beaufort.
 I think he is outmatched, but he doesn't know it yet.

Kate

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #1539 on: August 01, 2019, 03:09:11 PM »
So glad the webcam is up and running again  :D
Very stormy, lots of rain, grass is growing really well!

Alphabet Hotel

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: August 01, 2019, 03:34:29 PM »

Yay!
[looks at image]
Yikes!

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #1541 on: August 01, 2019, 05:42:39 PM »

That'll please the tokers .. :)   b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

bluice

« Reply #1542 on: August 01, 2019, 07:16:11 PM »
Streetlights are lit. Bye bye summer...

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #1543 on: August 01, 2019, 09:54:59 PM »
Look at that surf!  Dang!

I'd be concerned if I lived in any of those near-shore houses.
This space for Rent.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #1544 on: August 01, 2019, 09:58:36 PM »

I'd be concerned if I lived in any of those near-shore houses.

Especially if that d10-ish deep-ish low develops from the forecast.  I wonder how they did with the GAC in 2012....

Renerpho

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 238
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #1545 on: August 01, 2019, 10:17:33 PM »
<snip> I wonder how they did with the GAC in 2012....

I only found this: http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/node/218
Barrow August 2012. Quote: "The average wind speed was 12.1 mph, while the maximum gust (41 mph) occurred on the 5th, blowing from a southerly direction."
Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level.

helorime

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #1546 on: August 02, 2019, 10:13:56 PM »
Have we seen anything like this before?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1547 on: August 03, 2019, 01:45:06 AM »
In that corner of Greenland, I think we have.
North of the CAA though, I think the current length and width and persistence of the crack is something we haven't seen before (correct me if I'm wrong).

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: August 03, 2019, 02:04:21 AM »
Not with this magnitude...I dont remember discussing it the last six seasons...

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #1549 on: August 03, 2019, 02:41:37 AM »
Scrolled back through WorldView. Smaller separations from N. Greenland are common in late July / early August at least in recent years, but as Dr. T. said, not nearly as wide and not extending nearly as far west. The closest analog I found was 2008, but not until the first week of September (and not lasting long).

https://go.nasa.gov/2GHUu1i