Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Image of the Day  (Read 898691 times)

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 236
Re: Arctic Image of the Day
« Reply #1600 on: August 16, 2019, 02:44:00 AM »
I can't be sure, but to my eye it appears as though there is a very seep mountain between those two glaciers...I want to investigate on my own now.

I don't think that's possible, since the last of the three images that petm posted above clearly shows a river flowing in that area, so a deep river-cut valley is much more likely.

If it's something along the lines of a steep-banked canyon or river valley, that might explain the apparently "bitten off" end of the smaller glacier being the result of a collapse of the canyon wall.
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #1601 on: August 16, 2019, 02:51:10 AM »
I can't be sure, but to my eye it appears as though there is a very seep mountain between those two glaciers...I want to investigate on my own now.

I don't think that's possible, since the last of the three images that petm posted above clearly shows a river flowing in that area, so a deep river-cut valley is much more likely.

If it's something along the lines of a steep-banked canyon or river valley, that might explain the apparently "bitten off" end of the smaller glacier being the result of a collapse of the canyon wall.

yea, that's probably it...no matter what it is there appear to be super steep slopes which clearly stop the glacier from forming around it. I'm going to do more research into that feature because it has piqued my interest and that's such a unique formation.
pls!

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #1602 on: August 16, 2019, 09:23:32 PM »
According to Google Earth there is a steep canyon-like valley S of that "gap". It seems that the once "united" glaciers has been divided by the melting water of that little river which flows through that valley. Older, but not very precise photos from the 1990s show an intact glacier. Around 2005 a large melt water lake has formed N/NE of that now "orphaned" part of the glacier which had drained afterwards, leading to that "gap".
_______
[You can look at older photographs in Google Earth by using the "historic picture button"]
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

Klon

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1603 on: August 16, 2019, 10:41:08 PM »
Foggy view of Sverdrup Channel area.

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 236
« Reply #1604 on: August 17, 2019, 06:56:09 AM »
According to Google Earth there is a steep canyon-like valley S of that "gap". It seems that the once "united" glaciers has been divided by the melting water of that little river which flows through that valley. Older, but not very precise photos from the 1990s show an intact glacier. Around 2005 a large melt water lake has formed N/NE of that now "orphaned" part of the glacier which had drained afterwards, leading to that "gap".
_______
[You can look at older photographs in Google Earth by using the "historic picture button"]

I saw a similar thing happening early this century back in Iceland. Many of you who have visited Iceland will have seen the Jokulsarlon lake where the calved icebergs float around and are even flushed out to sea.

To the west of this lake there are a couple of other similar lakes such as Fjallsarlon which I used to visit evey time I could from 1991 up to 2008, and more sporadically since.

The first image shows the three lakes, the glaciers are all retreating fast and the lakes are growing, but the really dramatic changes that I saw happening were finished by 2008, which is the last time that I stopped and had a proper look.

That visit in 2008 I had a GPS for the first time, and I noticed that according to the map on the GPS I was actually parking my car on the glacier itself! In the second image I've marked my usual "parking spot" with a red cross, and the appr. glacier edge as shown on the GPS with a green line.

The yellow path shows where I used to walk up onto the glacier itself, the last time I did that would have been around 1996 or 7. The glacier was very smooth and flat in that area, simply because it had stopped moving and was just melting down.

The area of interest for this discussion is marked with a black circle. The small glacier tongue to the left used to merge with the larger one, and did so until about 15-20 years ago. The material underlying these glacier tongues once they reach flat land is mostly a huge pile of gravel and mud that the glaciers have been carrying down from above, and once the ice was removed from the top of this pile, the waters coming from further up started to carve it's way down through the rubble.

When I was there in perhaps 2004 I noticed that a very large canyon had suddenly appeared in the middle of the black circle, the following year it was gone since the canyon walls were essentially just gravel and mud, and the whole pile had probably just been washed away.

The third attachment is a photo I found on the internet after a surprisingly long search, unfortunately if you search for "Fjallsarlon" you get pictures of "Jokulsarlon" instead, it takes a local to tell the difference. The position and viewpoint of the photo is marked with a couple of brown thin lines in the second image. 30 years ago, the photographer would have been standing on the ice itself.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 07:03:15 AM by binntho »
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

Alphabet Hotel

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 179
« Reply #1605 on: August 18, 2019, 11:38:42 PM »
I thought this image came out pretty good. I was just trying to capture the patterns in this whole stretch of melting ice but there's a lot more to look at, like the patterns in the rocks and the algae blooms starting along the shore.

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #1606 on: August 19, 2019, 04:08:00 PM »
Thanks Alphabet - where is this ?

Alphabet Hotel

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 179
« Reply #1607 on: August 19, 2019, 05:50:38 PM »
Thanks Alphabet - where is this ?
That's the Prince Regent Inlet, with Somerset Island above and Baffin Island below.

MyACIsDying

« Reply #1608 on: August 19, 2019, 06:30:29 PM »
A large floe traveled almost 100km between Ellesmere and Axel Heiberg island, chunking off some land attached ice and splitting up after impacts with the shore. I'm curious what gave it that speed? Just to the left, at the inlet, chunks are being pulled into the Beaufort Gyre it seems.

Date start: 15-08 09:30, end 18-08 20:20 UTC
Top speed rough estimate: 0.5m/s

blumenkraft

« Reply #1609 on: August 19, 2019, 06:33:57 PM »
Looks like a surface current to me. Thanks so much for sharing, MyACIsDying. Very useful information.

jjj18641

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1610 on: August 20, 2019, 01:21:43 PM »
A large floe traveled almost 100km between Ellesmere and Axel Heiberg island, chunking off some land attached ice and splitting up after impacts with the shore. I'm curious what gave it that speed? Just to the left, at the inlet, chunks are being pulled into the Beaufort Gyre it seems.

Date start: 15-08 09:30, end 18-08 20:20 UTC
Top speed rough estimate: 0.5m/s

Where do you get these amazing animations from?

MyACIsDying

« Reply #1611 on: August 20, 2019, 03:11:07 PM »
Thanks both :) These are JPSS satellite images from https://rammb-slider.cira.colostate.edu, the automatic gif animator didn't work for me so I screen grabbed and stitched together the useful frames, few clouds those days luckily.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1612 on: August 20, 2019, 05:08:02 PM »
Yes, the RAMMB site is not for everyone sadly. I'm using this crappy windows computer in class and RAMMB just wouldn't work with it. The memory is too slow, the processor is too weak, the monitor is shit. I'm so happy about my 8GB of speedy memory and the Retina display at home...

blumenkraft

« Reply #1613 on: August 23, 2019, 07:24:24 PM »
Puffy clouds perfectly illuminated from the side over Franklin Island.

#hach

VeliAlbertKallio

• Frazil ice
  • Eheu fugaces labuntur anni
    • View Profile
    • Sea Research Society (SRS)
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 135
« Reply #1614 on: August 24, 2019, 02:07:32 AM »
What comes to my mind is a rock debris flow of rock over a glacier tongue.. Tunnelling is by water, not ice.  ;)

I was randomly looking at some landscape in the CAA in the Sentinel-hub and found this in the North of Devon Island (exact position can be seen in the bottom right of the picture). Unfortunately I didn't find the name of this glacier.

What are my eyes seeing here? Did the glacier carve a tunnel through the mountain or are those two completely seperate glaciers?

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/eo-browser/?lat=76.3746&lng=-91.8694&zoom=12&time=undefined&preset=1_TRUE_COLOR&datasource=Sentinel-2%20L1C
"Setting off atomic bombs is considered socially pungent as the years are made of fleeting ice that are painted by the piling up of the rays of the sun."

blumenkraft

« Reply #1615 on: August 25, 2019, 01:08:43 PM »
The storm over Nares Strait entrance.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1616 on: September 01, 2019, 12:59:46 PM »
🔥 These arctic polar bears being very inquisitive🔥

(via reddit/r/NatureIsFuckingLit)

Trebuchet

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1617 on: September 05, 2019, 12:19:00 AM »
  I don't kow what to say
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." W.S.Churchill

ShortBrutishNasty

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1618 on: September 05, 2019, 04:09:32 AM »
Monster thanks to Blumenkraft for the well-nourished polar bear pic!!  Those were the days!!

Thomas Hobbes , English philosopher 1588-1679

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #1619 on: September 05, 2019, 05:04:05 AM »
That's very distressing.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1622 on: September 05, 2019, 08:09:40 PM »
Ocean current in the Amundsen Gulf.

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 463
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #1623 on: September 05, 2019, 08:55:55 PM »
With Utqiagvik (Barrow) webcam still not updating, had to go elsewhere to get Arctic webcam.

This one from Svalbard shows snow down to sea level at Longyearbyen

https://www.spitsbergen-svalbard.com/photos-panoramas-videos-and-webcams/spitsbergen-webcams.html

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: September 06, 2019, 07:08:56 PM »
Monster thanks to Blumenkraft for the well-nourished polar bear pic!!  Those were the days!!

Yes that one was distressing and doing the rounds a lot on social media. It first appeared on NG at the end of Dec 2017.

Since then the text on the video has been edited by National Geographic :

"The text on the video above was edited on June 1, 2018 to make it clear that it is impossible to know why the polar bear pictured was starving. An earlier version of the video went too far in suggesting that climate change was responsible ( read more ). This story was updated on January 19, 2018 to reflect the more specific location of where the photographs were taken."

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/12/starving-polar-bear-video-climate-change-spd/
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 07:31:29 PM by Niall Dollard »

Klon

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1625 on: September 09, 2019, 06:24:53 PM »
Today on Worldview (North Pole is left center)

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: September 09, 2019, 06:49:03 PM »
Today on Worldview (North Pole is left center)

Have a look at the same area, same date for 2016. (The comparison tool is great).

I had forgotten how bad it was in 2016. Right up to the pole.

jplotinus

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1627 on: September 12, 2019, 04:36:38 PM »
Longyearbyen, Svalbard, webcam back up after a few days’ outage. Was snow covered on September 4, prior to cam going down; now snow feee as of September 12, with cam back up and running:

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 39

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1629 on: September 20, 2019, 09:28:52 PM »
Numerous photos-from-an-airplane of Zachariae Isstrøm (northeast Greenland glacier) starting with this link.
In cooperation with the Operation Ice Bridge Team and especially Sea Ice Scientist Linette Boisvert NASA who sent me many images and a few videos from their trip across Zachariae Isstrøm on September 5 2019, the delay in the publishing is due to the poor internet band width at Thule Airbase.
We start this round of images from the top of Zachariae Isstrøm including the giant meltponds then passing the calving front across the Zach Bay and at the end we reach the former glacier tongue of Zachariae Isttrøm, now a death piece of glacier ice, enjoy and again thanks to Linette:
[Click on the "Quote from: Espen …" line.]
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

blumenkraft

« Reply #1630 on: September 25, 2019, 03:22:29 PM »
Glacier rivers from above (Iceland)

Link >> https://www.instagram.com/p/B2zFagzlbGB/?igshid=ez9pti89e2kb

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: September 25, 2019, 04:55:39 PM »
That could make a wonderfully difficult jigsaw puzzle!
(In the past I could only find commercial from-your-photo 4-250 piece puzzles, but now I see you can get 500 and 1000 piece ones. Yay!)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2051
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #1632 on: September 25, 2019, 10:24:52 PM »
Only 300 pieces but it is free. GL!  :)

https://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=1269bc2758c7
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: October 01, 2019, 04:59:01 AM »
I'm slow, but persistent.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1634 on: October 01, 2019, 05:03:51 AM »
Congrats, Tor! :)

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #1635 on: October 02, 2019, 01:58:03 PM »
slightly faster

blumenkraft

« Reply #1636 on: October 02, 2019, 01:59:55 PM »
Wow. Has this become a contest??  ;D

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: October 02, 2019, 09:04:19 PM »
Your turn, B_!
 ;)

There was some article I read maybe 40 years ago about a simple worm that was 'taught' to go through a maize.  Once it learned how to do it, other worms were able to do it faster.  And worms who ate the first worm did it even faster.

I'm not advocating cannibalism, but Mr. Randles' beating me is due to my leading the way!   ::)
(And I probably left the (computer) window open while I cooked dinner a couple times.   :-[ )

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #1638 on: October 07, 2019, 05:08:20 PM »
I sit next to a neuroscientist, I would really love to see that paper.

I read a paper about some people who transferred slug memories to other slugs, but never anything about worm cannibalism!
Bunch of small python Arctic Apps:
https://github.com/SimonF92/Arctic

Hopen Times

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #1639 on: October 08, 2019, 01:02:32 PM »
Here is a timelapse I made 9 years ago. The quality is not much to cheer for, but the movie has its moments.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2051
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #1640 on: October 08, 2019, 01:24:04 PM »
Thanks! I like timelapses and it is always nice to see more of this part of the world.

PS: SimonF92 McConnell is the worm guy. See the story on the link.
https://www.apa.org/monitor/2010/06/memory-transfer
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #1641 on: October 08, 2019, 02:07:27 PM »
Amazing. Thanks for that time-lapse.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1642 on: October 08, 2019, 04:33:46 PM »
This is amazing, Hopen Times! Thanks for sharing!

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3588
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #1643 on: October 08, 2019, 06:56:54 PM »
Very educational timelapse, thanks.
I especially liked the "breathing" of the tides, not something you get acquainted with from satellite images.

Hopen Times

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: October 10, 2019, 08:16:00 PM »
Thank you for the feedback. One day I will return to Hopen, hopefully before the ice is gone, and make a better version. Hopen is, to me, the most beautiful place on Earth. Or as the text on official bath towel of Hopen states: «The island of loneliness, inaccessibility and hopelessness.» Inspired by the name of one of the chapters in the book about Hopen.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3588
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #1645 on: October 13, 2019, 09:26:30 AM »
On this forum you learn something new every day. I just realized I have never heard of Hopen before.
Hopen is an island in the southeastern part of the Svalbard archipelago (Norway). Hopen was discovered in 1596 by Jan Cornelisz Rijp during the third expedition by Willem Barentsz, trying to find the Northeast Passage. Later, in 1613, its name was given by Thomas Marmaduke of Hull, who named it after his former command, the Hopewell.

The Norwegian Meteorological Institute operates a manned weather station on the island with a staff of four persons. For the welfare of the crew, there are three cabins available on the island for their use.

Hopen Times

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: October 14, 2019, 06:10:02 AM »
One of the task for the crew on the weather station at Hopen, is to measure sea ice thickness. That has been done since 1966. Here is a link to a studie from 2008 on the data. "Decrease of sea ice thickness at Hopen, Barents Sea, during 1966-2007"
https://data.npolar.no/publication/a696421d-b350-5167-a962-42eb8c42ca53

Since 2007, I know that there has been several years where it has been difficult to get good readings, due to weak an lack of ice.

The weather station also has a blog. Not very scientific.
http://hopenmeteo.no

Phil.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #1647 on: October 15, 2019, 04:26:58 PM »
I sit next to a neuroscientist, I would really love to see that paper.

I read a paper about some people who transferred slug memories to other slugs, but never anything about worm cannibalism!

This should help:
https://everything2.com/title/The+ability+of+planarian+worms+to+run+a+maze+more+successfully+after+being+fed+the+remains+of+a+successful+worm

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: October 15, 2019, 06:34:53 PM »
Very helpful indeed.  I'll never reference that research again (the way I have in the past).

(Image referenced in the above linked article.)

sailor

« Reply #1649 on: November 02, 2019, 08:53:50 PM »
This is relevant here, Congrats to Levi Cowan, the person behind one of the best “amateur” meteorology places in the Internet, Tropical Tidbits. He becomes a full meteorologist now.