Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Image of the Day  (Read 894340 times)

igs

Re: Arctic Image of the Day
« Reply #1750 on: July 01, 2020, 07:52:31 PM »
This to underline my last post on the topic of Barrows ice-blow-outs and blow-ins.

@pearscot

Ha, I did see your post the other day commenting about how this was possible and I was surprised to see the ice roll in with the fog yesterday! Once again, this is yet another new thing I have seen this year. I wonder how long it will be there until it's blown out to sea again?

Will you believe me that this happens almost every year?

At least it was like this last year as well but then sometimes we discard things from
our upper drawer in the brain as long as they do not appear important enough to keep them there

;) ;) ;)

It means efficiency and is totally ok, after all we cannot increase our SSD storage as needed LOL

Have a good day.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
« Reply #1751 on: July 01, 2020, 09:10:46 PM »
I noticed the door was closed and maybe that's why the ice is back in.  ;)
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

VeliAlbertKallio

• Frazil ice
  • Eheu fugaces labuntur anni
    • View Profile
    • Sea Research Society (SRS)
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 134
"Setting off atomic bombs is considered socially pungent as the years are made of fleeting ice that are painted by the piling up of the rays of the sun."

Pagophilus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 434
  • Likes Given: 581
« Reply #1753 on: July 06, 2020, 05:31:26 AM »
Melting margins of the Laptev Sea.

Or, anxious squirrel on a grassy slope, looking towards the light. 

Anxiety justified in this case. 

Worldview, July 4, 2020.
You may delay, but time will not.   Benjamin Franklin.

Yuha

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1754 on: July 06, 2020, 06:17:47 AM »
Ice is forming some peculiar patterns in Foxe Basin.

Also, there is an optical illusion that makes some of the ice flows look like large ice bergs with a long shadow. (The "shadow" is just open water.)

blumenkraft

« Reply #1755 on: July 06, 2020, 02:56:36 PM »
For the cam-watcher: This very nice video about Barrow. (With drone footage!!)

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #1756 on: July 13, 2020, 10:15:10 PM »
A mystical fog bow caught on Freya Gletscher Webcam 1 yesterday.
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #1757 on: July 14, 2020, 08:06:14 PM »
This little bullseye I saw is amazing, but more so is the insane melt happening all over Greenland:

pls!

Pagophilus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: July 15, 2020, 04:29:31 AM »
The Arctic tries its hand at Abstract Impressionism.   Rather successfully, I think.

The last ice in the Kara Sea, Worldview, July 14.

Pagophilus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: July 15, 2020, 04:33:01 AM »
This little bullseye I saw is amazing, but more so is the insane melt happening all over Greenland:

Yikes. 

I have to catch up on Greenland.  Or maybe for the sake of my mental wellbeing I should not ...

KenB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #1760 on: July 16, 2020, 04:25:11 PM »
NASA Worldview, Laptev bite, 2020-7-16
"When the melt ponds drain apparent compaction goes up because the satellite sees ice, not water in ponds." - FOoW

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #1761 on: July 16, 2020, 09:59:04 PM »
Following up on that with a GIF - 10 day walk through of imagery.

The margin of the pack appears to be retreating north at the rate of almost 50km/day.

Some of it is movement, some is compaction, some is ice simply disappearing, possibly because of warm water being blown north.
This space for Rent.

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: July 16, 2020, 10:03:07 PM »
Following up on that with a GIF - 10 day walk through of imagery.

The margin of the pack appears to be retreating north at the rate of almost 50km/day.

Some of it is movement, some is compaction, some is ice simply disappearing, possibly because of warm water being blown north.

Insane...absolutely insane. If it is indeed melting/retreating that much per day, that means that its average velocity northward is 1.29mph...
pls!

romett1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1763 on: July 17, 2020, 11:44:19 PM »
Looks like a polar bear (today's Worldview).

Pagophilus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: July 18, 2020, 03:32:27 PM »
Worldview July 18.  It is not often the Arctic Worldview images are this colorful. 

New Siberian Islands dressed in brown and beige, accessorized by elegant, flowing, algae-green and dappled white scarves, all against a deep marine blue background.   

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: July 18, 2020, 09:16:24 PM »
Greenland is getting absolutely nuked today/lately. I can't believe this...and it's like this everywhere. The cold blob this year will be prolific.

pls!

blumenkraft

« Reply #1766 on: July 20, 2020, 08:57:55 AM »
A cute island in the ESS from the second of July to yesterday. Cloudy days skipped. Needs a click.

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #1767 on: July 20, 2020, 09:46:34 AM »
(OT)
When global warming continues and once temperatures in the ESS are moderate, wouldn't this be an exotic tourist destination with long sandy beaches (of course some infrastructure is needed until then)?
(OT end)
Thanks for that finding. Beautiful sequence, impressive meltout.
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

blumenkraft

« Reply #1768 on: July 20, 2020, 09:51:34 AM »
Thanks, Stephan. :)

You are right, i guess this bright brown area in this picture might be the biggest sandy beach worldwide.

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: July 20, 2020, 10:31:10 PM »
I can't really figure out why the water is such a different color here, but this hue of blue is absolutely gorgeous!
pls!

Jacobus

• New ice
  • Concerned Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 317
« Reply #1770 on: July 20, 2020, 10:36:26 PM »
I can't really figure out why the water is such a different color here, but this hue of blue is absolutely gorgeous!
Algae bloom

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #1771 on: July 21, 2020, 12:56:21 AM »
Algae bloom
Blue algae? Or is it bioluminescence?

Phytoplankton Bloom in the Barents Sea
https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/content/phytoplankton-bloom-barents-sea

Clear skies over northern Russia and Scandinavia reveal magnificent swirls of blue and turquoise in the Barents Sea. This true-color image, captured by the NOAA-20 satellite on July 30, 2018, shows a large phytoplankton bloom, made up of millions of tiny plant organisms that thrive in the nutrient-rich waters of the Arctic. Phytoplankton blooms are common in the Barents Sea in late July and August, thanks to a combination of 24-hour sunlight, minimal ice cover and relatively warm surface waters.
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 679
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #1772 on: July 21, 2020, 01:23:21 AM »
Something I put together earlier from the New Siberian Island.

Slightly higher res version on my twitter:
https://twitter.com/Icy_Samuel/status/1285324472724213761
I recently joined the twitter thing, where I post more analysis, pics and animations: @Icy_Samuel

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: July 21, 2020, 05:35:20 AM »
Interesting, thanks for the info! I should have guessed it was that but my critical skills on this Monday were non-functional!

I really do love all the super deep hues of blue, it looks so nice.
pls!

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #1774 on: July 23, 2020, 10:21:02 AM »

igs

« Reply #1775 on: July 23, 2020, 03:35:02 PM »

He finally wanted to go out on limb but didn't find a tree. Just imagine his face once the ice gives haha...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 06:21:19 PM by igs »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #1776 on: July 23, 2020, 04:46:48 PM »
How do those ice mushrooms get made?
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 878
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #1777 on: July 23, 2020, 05:38:27 PM »
Looks like wave-driven erosion to me, same as you would see on an eroding coastline with a hard layer over softer substrata.
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

igs

« Reply #1778 on: July 23, 2020, 06:22:45 PM »

Salty warm waters melt the ice faster than cool air, especially with wave action, wind drift and currents involved.

You can find this phenomenon with ALL Icebergs (until they topple due to center of gravity shift) and it's the same here

Hopen Times

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #1779 on: July 23, 2020, 07:26:46 PM »
I guess those are made by the tide. The clumps of ice are stranded and at every high tide the ocean nibbels a bit on the ice. The walruss propably entered the lump of ice during high tide and when the picture was taken, the tide was low.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1780 on: July 23, 2020, 07:36:45 PM »
That makes so much sense! I was wondering how it got up there!

igs

« Reply #1781 on: July 23, 2020, 08:51:32 PM »
I guess those are made by the tide. The clumps of ice are stranded and at every high tide the ocean nibbels a bit on the ice. The walruss propably entered the lump of ice during high tide and when the picture was taken, the tide was low.

Sorry but NO !

It's a known phenomenon as explained upthread.

Once something is grounded there is always some list (99.9% which is why more than one, meters appart, only in theory can exist but in real life won't happen)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 09:29:56 PM by igs »

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: July 24, 2020, 05:59:44 AM »

Sorry but NO !

Once something is grounded there is always some list (99.9% which is why more than one, meters appart, only in theory can exist but in real life won't happen)
Indeed. Besides, the vertical tidal movement in Arctic waters is way too small, at max some few tens of centimeters.

I guess the image is from the CAA, where there is hardly any tidal surging taking place. Compare this to e.g. the Hebrides or the British Columbia coast where the tidal movement causes massive surges in narrow channels. Such surges are nowhere to be seen in the CAA, only at best som shlight shifting back and forth.
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true

Hopen Times

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: July 24, 2020, 10:51:49 AM »

Sorry but NO !

Indeed. Besides, the vertical tidal movement in Arctic waters is way too small, at max some few tens of centimeters.

I guess the image is from the CAA, where there is hardly any tidal surging taking place. Compare this to e.g. the Hebrides or the British Columbia coast where the tidal movement causes massive surges in narrow channels. Such surges are nowhere to be seen in the CAA, only at best som shlight shifting back and forth.

binntho, maybe I misunderstand something here, but in the linked article tides up to 15 meters height difference in Hudson strait, 2,8 meters in Landcaster Sound and so on, are mentioned. https://www.google.com/search?=ALeKk00XGx5AW8xlrorIgQSJ_bTM9o0Y-Q%3A1595577370896&ei=GpQaX86hNtLLrgTkhaPQBg&q=canadian+arctic+tide+measurement+techniques+and+results&oq=canadian+arctic+tide+measurement+techniques+and+results

Looking at tidal charts/measurements as well, gives me vertical tide movement way beyond your estimates. https://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/eng

What am I missing here?

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: July 24, 2020, 11:25:16 AM »
binntho, maybe I misunderstand something here, but in the linked article tides up to 15 meters height difference in Hudson strait, 2,8 meters in Landcaster Sound and so on, are mentioned. https://www.google.com/search?=ALeKk00XGx5AW8xlrorIgQSJ_bTM9o0Y-Q%3A1595577370896&ei=GpQaX86hNtLLrgTkhaPQBg&q=canadian+arctic+tide+measurement+techniques+and+results&oq=canadian+arctic+tide+measurement+techniques+and+results

Looking at tidal charts/measurements as well, gives me vertical tide movement way beyond your estimates. https://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/eng

What am I missing here?
It seems that I was the one to be missing things. But to clarify, Hudson Strait is not in the CAA proper. When I wrote the above I was thinking of the tidal effect between Greenland and Svalbard, which is 20cm if I remember correctly, and disappears almost totally in the Arctic ocean itself - but again nowhere near the CAA.

Anyway, I found a better image than the one I've usually looked at, as can be seen, the tidal effect is very large in the northern Atlantic south of Iceland, and in the North-West Pacific. Fairly large in northern Baffin Bay but dissipates quickly in the CAA.

It's bigger than I thought, but still there are no surges of the kind seen in the Hebrides and the coast of British Colombia. Perhaps for a surge there needs to be a large effect on both ends of a channel?

There's a topic on tides where you can take this further, but I won't join you there, my contrariness vs. tides is well known and it will only raise my bloodpressure even further if I start to write about tides any further!

Map is borrowed from Ian Furlong:

blumenkraft

« Reply #1785 on: July 24, 2020, 11:41:50 AM »
Binntho, do you know where this picture is taken or are you guessing?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1786 on: July 24, 2020, 11:46:38 AM »
Yeah, I very much doubt it's in the CAA proper, with the Greenpeace ship in the background. But surely someone can find the source?

Edit: and that someone would be me.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3251884/Shell-abandons-4-6bn-drilling-exploration-Alaska-coast-disappointing-results.html

Environmentalists had tried repeatedly to block the Shell project and welcomed the news. Above, a walrus sits on floating ice as the Greenpeace icebreaker Arctic Sunrise crosses the Chukchi Sea

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: July 24, 2020, 11:56:26 AM »
Binntho, do you know where this picture is taken or are you guessing?
I assumed ... and assumed wrong. Not the first time!

EDIT: But then the Chukchi is one of those seas that have no discernible tidal effect!

Yuha

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 78
« Reply #1788 on: July 24, 2020, 02:39:19 PM »
Chukchi Sea seems right, here's the photographer's own site:

https://danielbeltra.photoshelter.com/image/I0000jgdYB8Kwydg

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1789 on: July 24, 2020, 05:41:29 PM »
I think most folks who click on this "Arctic Image of the Day" thread think they are about to see an image from the Arctic.  There are lots of threads for discussion... (but thanks, Yuha, for the link - ah, exceptions!  :)).

This image is from 2016, but boy is it cool!  (hot?)
[The Telegraph:  Experts said Arctic sea ice would melt entirely by September 2016]
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

KenB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #1790 on: July 25, 2020, 02:43:29 PM »
Interesting blue shades and shapes off the northern Norwegian coast.

"When the melt ponds drain apparent compaction goes up because the satellite sees ice, not water in ponds." - FOoW

NotaDenier

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #1791 on: July 25, 2020, 03:31:30 PM »

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: July 26, 2020, 01:42:00 PM »
The bloom is getting bigger.
I guess you could call his a BOE as well?  :-\
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1140
  • Likes Given: 680
« Reply #1793 on: July 26, 2020, 10:05:30 PM »
This one is already named.

Kraken.
a legendary cephalopod-like sea monster of gigantic size in Scandinavian folklore

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: July 26, 2020, 10:08:54 PM »

I was just looking at this today, it's amazing! Certainly is expanding too. The entire year is wild.
pls!

glennbuck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 133
« Reply #1795 on: July 26, 2020, 10:15:19 PM »

Scary, what sort of life lives down there, i know an algae bloom in 2019 off Norway killed 7 million Salmon being factory Farmed off the coast!

igs

« Reply #1796 on: July 26, 2020, 10:40:44 PM »

Scary, what sort of life lives down there, i know an algae bloom in 2019 off Norway killed 7 million Salmon being factory Farmed off the coast!

Yeah, and the farms kill the wild salmon and their residues even have an impact on such events.

Kind of natural justice apparently.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 12:39:18 AM by igs »

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: July 26, 2020, 11:07:25 PM »
This one is already named.

Kraken.
a legendary cephalopod-like sea monster of gigantic size in Scandinavian folklore
LMAO ROTF...  ;D ;D ;D

WTF happened?

Hopen Times

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: July 27, 2020, 02:29:19 AM »
Shoot tonight between 23:30 and 01:30 at Ã…rvikstrand, Northern Norway. Last day with midnight sun at this spot.

Michael Hauber

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 168
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1799 on: July 27, 2020, 06:54:56 AM »
Never seen clouds like this.  The cloud tops look a lot frostier than the ice at ground level elsewhere does.

Climate change:  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, expect the middle.