Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Image of the Day  (Read 418854 times)

Peter Ellis

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Arctic Image of the Day
« Reply #1200 on: June 25, 2018, 10:35:10 AM »
"What are you kids doing with my best blanket?"
"We're, um... watching for whales, Mum!"

jplotinus

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1201 on: June 25, 2018, 01:46:01 PM »
Name of town has been changed.

Utqiagvik

Pagophilus

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #1202 on: July 05, 2018, 05:37:43 AM »
Herd of zebras glimpsed in the Kara Sea. ::)   

Well, actually some very strongly barred cloud formations which seem to have been subjected to a very regular large-scale shearing of air masses after the ribbons of cloud formed.  Any other knowledge/ideas on this?

Both images from Worldview, unaltered.  The second image is for the regional context.

aperson

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #1203 on: July 05, 2018, 05:45:18 AM »
Those are clouds formed from Lee Waves

Pagophilus

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #1204 on: July 05, 2018, 09:54:13 PM »
Those are clouds formed from Lee Waves

Thanks.  I looked them up.  Fascinating!  Like air in a wind instrument, only gravity-assisted.

Ned W

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #1205 on: July 07, 2018, 03:22:17 PM »
Quiz time:  where is this?

I love watching the ice pour through this strait.  In this image it looks like a child's face in profile at lower left, blowing frosty breath in the cold winter air. 

Clare

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #1206 on: July 12, 2018, 05:09:54 AM »
Hi Everyone
I'm not sure of the best place to ask this, I'd be grateful of your help:
I am hoping to find a live feed from a webcam located out on the sea ice. It seems like the ones I can check on the webcam page aren't working this year. I can see the Barrow/Utqiagvik & Summit Camp ones are live.
But I was hoping to include a sea ice one to be running on a screen beside a art piece about sea ice loss I am making for an exhibition that will be on show from August til early November so I thought would capture the max period of ice decline.
Thanks
Clare
 :)

oren

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 122
  • Likes Given: 262
« Reply #1207 on: July 12, 2018, 06:58:31 AM »
There are quite a few webcams around the arctic, but unfortunately none on the sea ice itself, and most webcams are in relatively southern locations with no sea ice. Here's a web page with most of these webcams.
http://banquisaenelartico.blogspot.com/p/webcams.html

Clare

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 12, 2018, 07:21:53 AM »
Thanks Oren, yes I had checked there too. All sorts of v interesting cams but not quite what I think would work.
Clare

Flocke

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1209 on: July 12, 2018, 10:43:34 AM »
You might want to take a look at http://obuoy.datatransport.org/ .
There where no replacements deployed, so the last footage is from 2017 (obuoy 14). Select an 'OBuoy' on the upper left and then 'Movie' at the bottom.

Clare

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 12, 2018, 01:18:16 PM »
Thank you Flocke! This might just do the trick.  ;D I'll see if DH will help me download it & maybe just use 2017's section slowed down & playing in a loop.....
Clare

pikaia

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1211 on: July 14, 2018, 09:27:03 AM »

gerontocrat

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1212 on: July 14, 2018, 12:40:15 PM »
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"

magnamentis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
    • Philosophy Ethics Numerology Mikrocirkulation Vaskular Therapie Gesundheit Blut Gesundheit Schmerzen Multiple Sklerose Diabetes Immunsystem Fibromyalgia Modular Mobile Computing iOS Software OSX Android Custom Rom Rooted
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #1213 on: July 14, 2018, 01:24:42 PM »
cute  :-*
http://magnamentis.com
Knowledge, Understanding & Insight Are Among The Best Sources For Personal Freedom & Vitality !

gerontocrat

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1214 on: July 14, 2018, 01:28:55 PM »
Chewing on plastic?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"

magnamentis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
    • Philosophy Ethics Numerology Mikrocirkulation Vaskular Therapie Gesundheit Blut Gesundheit Schmerzen Multiple Sklerose Diabetes Immunsystem Fibromyalgia Modular Mobile Computing iOS Software OSX Android Custom Rom Rooted
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #1215 on: July 14, 2018, 10:20:17 PM »
Chewing on plastic?

no the baby bears ;)

i remember great images from thunderstorms and lightnings which many found great to look at, even though i'm sure that the ship crews or house owners below those clouds or that got hit by lightnings were not so happy or found it great.
http://magnamentis.com
Knowledge, Understanding & Insight Are Among The Best Sources For Personal Freedom & Vitality !

jacksmith4tx

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1216 on: July 15, 2018, 12:09:39 AM »
Thanks to pikaia & gerontocrat.
Phytoplankton in ther Chukchi Sea.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/92412/churning-in-the-chukchi-sea
Had a look - here is the image

That's pretty compelling visual proof we are changing the chemistry of the planet. I saw a time lapsed animation of annual algal blooms in the Gulf of Mexico that really demonstrated how much damage these things cause.
This is a leading cause of deoxygenation in the arctic. Carbon Brief covered this last month:
"How global warming is causing ocean oxygen levels to fall"
https://www.carbonbrief.org/guest-post-how-global-warming-is-causing-ocean-oxygen-levels-to-fall
Research shows that human-caused global warming is the principal cause of marine oxygen loss. Humans also play an additional role through the input of nutrients to the oceans in coastal regions, though the individual processes at play are not straightforward to disentangle.

Warming affects the ocean and its dissolved oxygen content in several ways. Among other things, it influences the solubility of oxygen in the water. The warmer the water, the less gas that can dissolve in it.

Until now, this process mainly affected the upper few hundred meters of the oceans, which have been in contact with the atmosphere most recently. This effect explains up to 20% of the total marine oxygen loss so far and about 50% of that in the upper 1,000 metres of the oceans.

In addition, warming alters patterns of global ocean circulation, which affects the mixing of oxygen-rich surface waters with deeper oxygen-poor water. It also changes how quickly organisms metabolise and respire, which affects consumption of marine oxygen.

Finally, there are indirect impacts of warming on upper-ocean nutrient supply and subsequent production and downward export of organic matter available for respiration throughout the ocean.
Science is a thought process, technology will change reality.