Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Image of the Day  (Read 893989 times)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
Re: Arctic Image of the Day
« Reply #1850 on: September 04, 2020, 11:47:53 AM »
A separate topic will ensure it will not get lost.

Here you go:

"North Pole Images"

And videos.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 02:55:03 PM by oren »
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #1851 on: September 10, 2020, 07:59:59 AM »
This video came up on our local SW France paper - a mad adventurer, lucky escape....

Sadly there is about 8 minutes of blah blah - with the escapade in the middle - but actual video is pretty scary!  Someone may be able to get a clean version...

https://www.sudouest.fr/2020/09/07/mike-horn-escalade-un-iceberg-et-finit-dans-une-eau-a-2-c-la-video-de-sa-betise-7816426-4776.php

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 08:10:38 AM by oren »

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #1852 on: September 11, 2020, 11:12:17 AM »

"At the top of fjords in Arctic Norway, the photographer was met with an unknown sky. Was it aliens? Was it the supernatural? He captured a series of photos to record the night and didn’t know until the next day that the colours were actually created by the auroral zone upwelling rocket experiment from Andøya Space Centre, which dispersed gas tracers to probe winds in Earth’s upper atmosphere"

More images here:-

https://www.theguardian.com/science/gallery/2020/sep/11/winners-royal-observatory-greenwich-astronomy-photographer-year-2020-in-pictures

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: September 11, 2020, 11:17:37 AM »

josh-j

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #1854 on: September 12, 2020, 12:58:25 AM »
From the Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards.

Its interesting that is in a comedy photography category. For me, having heard of the ongoing struggle and demise of these creatures, the bear might as well be mourning.

Interesting perspectives. And of course that particular bear might be doing just fine.

To me that photo reveals something about how differently people look at the natural world.

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #1855 on: September 12, 2020, 08:15:19 PM »
I made from today's imagery above northwest Greenland/Nares Strait
pls!

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #1856 on: September 14, 2020, 09:02:58 AM »
My perambulations through EOSDIS brought me this today - a cyclonic weather structure in the Chukchi.
This space for Rent.

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: September 15, 2020, 03:44:36 AM »
I can’t end my fascination of the Queen Elizabeth Islands! With the fresh snow and fall sun angle I had to spend some time making a new wallpaper from today’s satellite imagery. I cleaned up the photos to really enhance the terrain.

pls!

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #1858 on: September 15, 2020, 05:01:52 AM »
I can’t end my fascination of the Queen Elizabeth Islands! With the fresh snow and fall sun angle I had to spend some time making a new wallpaper from today’s satellite imagery. I cleaned up the photos to really enhance the terrain.
Amazing places, which are going to be totally transformed over the next century.  I suspect the Northern Boreal forest will return there, possibly assisted by us in an attempt to stabilize climate in some sort of sustainable fashion.
This space for Rent.

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: September 15, 2020, 04:12:52 PM »
Amazing places, which are going to be totally transformed over the next century.  I suspect the Northern Boreal forest will return there, possibly assisted by us in an attempt to stabilize climate in some sort of sustainable fashion.

Yeah, I do agree with you there. I think the forest region will certainly be expanding, and with it will come a more moisture laden atmosphere. I will be interested to see how the north coast of Greenland/CAA act as the ice there detaches from the coast more often. I would imagine that is am amazing and rugged coastline.
pls!

voyageur9

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #1860 on: October 15, 2020, 02:28:00 PM »
Russian Tall Ship Sedov transits Northeast Passage.

Coffee Drinker

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #1861 on: October 16, 2020, 11:32:40 PM »
Barrow sea ice cam works again. Perfect timing to watch the new sea ice forming.

https://seaice.alaska.edu/Staging/Utq_seaicecam/Utq_seaicecam_current.jpg

Cook

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #1862 on: October 17, 2020, 12:43:46 AM »
Sidekick takes pictures :)
clear images from may1-jul26  click
Is this where we get to claim we see UFOs?  It just hovers for several days in early May 2020.  Awesome!  Good catch, Uniquorn!! :D :P ::)

Looks like a spot on the lens.

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #1863 on: November 12, 2020, 04:11:35 PM »
A few days ago the sun set for the last time this year at Clavering Island, and the webcam today shows a pretty twilight with a purple tinge in the sky. Good night, Greenland.

Hopen Times

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #1864 on: November 12, 2020, 07:32:58 PM »

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 460
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #1865 on: November 16, 2020, 11:19:12 PM »
The ice has arrived off Utqiagvik. (and the door is shut ! )

WildFit

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 110
  • Likes Given: 79
« Reply #1866 on: November 21, 2020, 09:46:05 PM »
Just for it's special beauty and ice retreated, perhaps one last time.

VeliAlbertKallio

• Frazil ice
  • Eheu fugaces labuntur anni
    • View Profile
    • Sea Research Society (SRS)
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #1867 on: December 09, 2020, 04:53:05 AM »
A very different kind of image of Arctic! See the BBC video about it from this link :'(  :'(  :'(
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55238090
"Setting off atomic bombs is considered socially pungent as the years are made of fleeting ice that are painted by the piling up of the rays of the sun."

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: December 11, 2020, 11:40:35 AM »
"The new book Arctic Heroes sees Icelandic photographer and author Ragnar Axelsson retelling the personal stories of hunters in the Arctic. The book bears witness to the magnificence of sled dogs and the integral role they play in hunters’ lives. The photographs included in this book were taken in Greenland between 1986 and 2020."

More here:
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2020/dec/10/paw-patrol-the-majestic-sled-dogs-of-the-arctic-in-pictures

Kate

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #1869 on: December 30, 2020, 12:28:27 AM »
I thought this one worthy of the forum

Glen Koehler

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 738
  • Likes Given: 1413
« Reply #1870 on: December 30, 2020, 12:46:03 AM »
   I like the visual alliteration of the street lights with the moon.  I hope the guy with the open door house is snuggled in bed with his Yeti girlfriend. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 05:36:40 AM by Glen Koehler »
“What is at stake.... Everything, I would say." ~ Julienne Stroeve

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
« Reply #1871 on: December 30, 2020, 09:19:33 PM »
Had a moment where I wondered why that one streetlight was so damned tall.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 878
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #1872 on: December 31, 2020, 05:14:39 AM »
   I like the visual alliteration of the street lights with the moon.
A visual tautogram perhaps ...
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #1873 on: December 31, 2020, 08:46:45 PM »
   I like the visual alliteration of the street lights with the moon.  I hope the guy with the open door house is snuggled in bed with his Yeti girlfriend.
If you like arctic girlfriends stories, I recommend to read Jorn Riel.  It looks like the only books translated in English are :
- The Shipwreck: The Inuk Quartet, Volume I
- The Raiders: The Inuk Quartet, Volume II

These two are for teenagers, but I enjoyed very much the French version.

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #1874 on: January 06, 2021, 07:40:52 PM »

from
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55561536
Climate change: Alaskan wilderness opens up for oil exploration

Glen Koehler

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: January 12, 2021, 11:20:50 PM »
    Gorgeous photography along with sobering and very well presented summary of Arctic sea ice and other aspects of albedo contribution to climate change.  One of a series of five 9-14 minute films on climate feedbacks at https://feedbackloopsclimate.com/.

Easy to get so focused on the numbers that we forget the beauty at stake.  These films capture some of the beauty.  The films also provide expert commentary (Jennifer Francies, Kerry Emmanuel and others) with very simple but powerful analogies to carry the message.  The films are in English, with subtitles in 20 languages.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 12:14:51 AM by Glen Koehler »

Glen Koehler

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: January 23, 2021, 03:08:47 AM »

https://phys.org/news/2021-01-climate-carbon-trends-million-years.html
  It's not current news being from 2006, but it's still a lovely picture.

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #1877 on: January 23, 2021, 08:45:40 AM »
The owner of this island must be held responsible for that amount of greenhose gases and aerosols that have been emitted and pay for it.  ;.)
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
« Reply #1878 on: January 29, 2021, 09:16:55 PM »
Not Arctic, but an "ice breaker" was needed in an inlet on Shetland, Scotland recently. I'd imagine thats a rare sight

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-55864302
Bunch of small python Arctic Apps:
https://github.com/SimonF92/Arctic

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: February 23, 2021, 11:32:43 PM »
Not exactly the pristine Arctic images I expected to see today from the port of Longyearbyen, Svalbard.

Some thick black smoke (dust?) spreads up and out over the inlet. It appears to be coming from the vicinity of the vessel "Arklow Wind" anchored at the north of the inlet.

Ironically (for me) the Arklow Wind is an Irish registered ship.

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: March 03, 2021, 11:52:19 PM »
Getting the surface ready for tripod weekend on the Tanana River. I presume, like almost every event now,  it will be low-key this year.

https://www.nenanaakiceclassic.com/index.htm

Most recent ice measurement is 44.5"

Glen Koehler

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: March 31, 2021, 06:52:43 AM »
    Succinct review and pretty imagery at

VeliAlbertKallio

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: April 05, 2021, 10:35:24 PM »
Photo: Icelandic Department of Civil Protection and Emergency Management | AFP

The Icelandic authorities have today Monday 5th April 2021 20:05 GMT released image as a new fissure has just opened starting to spill lava one kilometre away from the first volcanic eruption site. The first volcanic eruption began two weeks ago a kilometre away and it appears that the situation is far from being over yet and it seems that the volcanic eruption has just moved to a next stage. Icelandic television showed pictures of the 200 metres long newly emerged fissure spilling lava. This is located one kilometre away from the first eruption site.

The authorities have sent helicopters to monitor that the public stays away from the region and the researchers are heading to the area to inspect the new fissure. The authorities are preventing access to the site as a precaution. When the previous eruption occurred the area saw masses heading to see the new, amazing volcano. According to Icelandic tourist authorities most recent estimates the eruption had drawn over 36,000 spectators to the natural event by yesterday. The experts assumed that this volcanic eruption would have fizzled out very quickly but now it is expected to last for even several weeks.

Fagradalsfjall-volcano is located about 40 kilometres from the Icelandic capital, Reykjavik. Although Iceland has more active volcanoes than any other European country, the previous volcanic eruption on the Reykjanes Peninsula occurred in 13th century. That eruption, however, continued for almost 30 years.

Let's just hope this once-in-800 year event is not related to increased nucleation of gases in magmas sitting beneath Iceland, Greenland and the Atlantic Ocean as the glaciers are losing weight which issue I raised at Cochabamba-Tiquipaya Climate Summit:
"Setting off atomic bombs is considered socially pungent as the years are made of fleeting ice that are painted by the piling up of the rays of the sun."

VeliAlbertKallio

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: April 05, 2021, 10:42:44 PM »

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 878
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #1884 on: April 06, 2021, 08:30:00 AM »
Let's just hope this once-in-800 year event is not related to increased nucleation of gases in magmas sitting beneath Iceland, Greenland and the Atlantic Ocean as the glaciers are losing weight which issue I raised at Cochabamba-Tiquipaya Climate Summit:

An interesting point. This current eruption is much more rare than a once-in-800 years. The magma is extremely hot and primitive, which apparently means that it comes straight from the mantle. Magmas of this type have not been found in Iceland going back at least 8000 years.

Shortly after the end of the last ice age, a large number of shield vocanoes were formed in Iceland with very primitive magma like the current one. The main theory is that hese shield volcanoes were a result of lessened pressure due to the melt of the massive ice age ice shield.

But the current eroption is very far away from any major ice caps. It is in an area (The Reykjanes peninsula) which is one of the most active in the world, even if it takes periodic 800-1000 year breaks, followed by a few centuries of intense activity. A new eruptive phase was expected to start "any time now" in geological time, i.e. within a century or two. That it starts now is not really surprising, but that this new eruptive phase starts with such primitive magma is totally unexpected.

The hot spot which is the proximate cause of the landmass of Iceland being above sea level, and which makes Iceland as a whole by far the most active volcanic area in the world (as measured in annual average volcanic material productuion) is actually situated under the main ice cap in the south-east, and this icecap is melting fast, with the surrounding areas experiencing significant uplift.

Wich means that the site for the next shield volcano-like eruption should have been somewhere in that area, not where it is currently located. But none-the-less very interesting!

The first of the following images is from a very interesting report (in Icelandic) on the changes happening in Iceland due to the rapid melting of its glaciers. The picture is nr. 5.18 and shows vertical movement between 1993 and 2004, in mm/year.

I've no idea what SKRO stands for, but the hot spot (and the immensely active Grimsvotn volcano) is placed more or less where the 0500 red spot is shown on the image. I've marked the location of the current eruption.

The second image shows the hotspt (properly named a "mantle plume"), with the yellow bands showing where the Mid-Atlantic spreading zone crosses Iceland (from Geology and geodynamics of Iceland
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #1885 on: April 07, 2021, 01:08:56 AM »
Today the Atlantic ice front is beautiful , from the southern tip of Greenland to Kara . It looks like carnival time .. :)

Here is a bit of the east coast of G'land on Worldview . Click link .. then zoom and play , though Wv does eat bytes ..

https://go.nasa.gov/39R7Dn4

the colour scheme is interesting but works !   b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

WildFit

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: April 18, 2021, 09:01:44 PM »
I really missed this one, glad to see it back, first thought was, it's about time  :) :) :)

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #1887 on: April 18, 2021, 09:36:33 PM »
Thank you. I think many of us have waited for this webcam
The snow cover doesn't seem to be thick there. And the roofs are already free of snow.
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

bosbas

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #1888 on: April 18, 2021, 09:47:58 PM »
Glad this webcam is back. And for the record, the door is closed.

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: April 19, 2021, 12:09:40 AM »
Thank you. I think many of us have waited for this webcam
The snow cover doesn't seem to be thick there. And the roofs are already free of snow.

Like many Arctic sites at over 70N, they don't get much snow in the first 4 months of the year.

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: April 19, 2021, 06:42:42 PM »
Oh nice, I'm so glad that webcam is back up. I also feel pretty silly for not realizing it was down for so long(!)

Either way, it's one metric I check daily. It's always exciting to see when the fast ice finally gets ripped away from the coast. I have no idea how long it will take this year, but the ice does seem robust around there.
pls!

Red Kite

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1891 on: April 19, 2021, 09:04:13 PM »
F-16 Viper Cockpit Video • Exercise Amalgam Dart 2021
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 09:14:01 PM by Red Kite »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
Re: Arctic Image(s) of the Day
« Reply #1892 on: April 24, 2021, 04:39:32 PM »
A couple of FAA webcams appear to have caught the full(ish) moon with their eagle eyes:

https://GreatWhiteCon.info/resources/arctic-webcams/
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: April 28, 2021, 02:28:26 AM »
Looks like the tripod on the Tanana River in Alaska might just hold on until May this year. Lots of melt ponds though  - but the ice was 43 inches thick on April 19th. There hasnt been any further measurements - it might be getting a bit risky !

https://www.nenanaakiceclassic.com/ice.htm

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: May 01, 2021, 08:22:23 AM »
Looks like the tripod on the Tanana River in Alaska might just hold on until May this year. Lots of melt ponds though  - but the ice was 43 inches thick on April 19th. There hasnt been any further measurements - it might be getting a bit risky !

https://www.nenanaakiceclassic.com/ice.htm

So in the end the clock stopped just before it reached May 1st.

An unusual one this year. When the ice goes out, the tripod usually starts going downriver or toward the south bank. This year, it went the other direction, upriver, apparently just enough to trip the mechanism that stopped the clock.

Up to a while ago the tripod was still standing but as far as the game is concerned it is over.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: May 01, 2021, 12:49:44 PM »
Up to a while ago the tripod was still standing

It looks to be well and truly gone now though:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 02:45:41 PM by Jim Hunt »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1896 on: May 01, 2021, 01:59:33 PM »
I am going to boast - repeatedly..

Quote from: gerontocrat on April 27, 2021, 09:15:38 AM
I said 30th April - to be precise I meant to say 7.30 pm AKDT time.
So who's a clever boy then?

emojis for smirk, arrogance, self-satisfaction etc to be added.

https://yukonriverbreakup.com/

click image for full size
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1897 on: May 01, 2021, 07:16:13 PM »
Aren't these two different rivers?

WildFit

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: May 01, 2021, 08:27:04 PM »
Aren't these two different rivers?

sure  :)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1899 on: May 01, 2021, 11:46:54 PM »
I am hiding until my self-inflicted wounds heal

Woe is me.
"Misery becomes me, it goes with my sackcloth and ashes"
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)