Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Maps  (Read 153346 times)

magnamentis

Re: Arctic Maps
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2017, 01:17:27 AM »
It appears I didn't mention here the Windytv.com website with awesome presentations of wind, temperature, waves, precipitation and pressure forecasts.

has been mentioned and used to post images a few times in the past but it's a such an extremely nice and useful tool that it's certainly good to bring it to more users by regular re-mentioning :-)

Feliz Año :-)

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2017, 09:34:56 PM »
Dragons that once appeared on maps of the Arctic apparently now only live in the Southern Ocean near Australia.

Zoe Della Vedova
Incredibly rare ruby sea dragon has been caught on camera for the first time

It's even more beautiful than we imagined.
CHRIS PASH, BUSINESS INSIDER
14 JAN 2017

A type of seadragon known only from museum specimens has been seen in the wild for the first time in deep water off Western Australia.

Two ruby seadragons were observed for nearly 30 minutes, uncovering new details about their anatomy, habitat, and behaviour.

The researchers from the University of Western Australia, the Western Australian Museum, and Scripps Institution of Oceanography used a mini-remotely operated vehicle in waters more than 50 meters deep near the Recherche Archipelago off Esperance.

Here’s the footage:

Alright, I'm not really convinced early map makers were referencing the same or similar species to these small creatures now known to science.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2017, 05:05:16 PM »
Cross-posted old map
epiphyte: definitely unprecedented in recorded history.

From one of my articles - http://www.science20.com/chatter_box/arctic_ice_july_2010_update_3_0

The map shows what was considered to be an average minimum, i.e. summer  ice extent in 1939.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2017, 06:27:02 PM »
I notice pack ice reaches to almost 85' N of Svalbard . Permanent sea ice appears to cover less area than in my old school Atlas from 1975..
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2017, 02:56:45 AM »
So extensive and dangerous a work

Eleven nations established 14 principal research stations across the Polar Regions. 12 were in the Arctic, along with at least 13 auxilary stations. Over 700 men incurred the dangers of Arctic service to establish and relieve these stations between 1881 and 1884.

source:
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/arctic-zone/ipy-1/Frontpage.htm
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2017, 05:05:07 PM »
Svalbard and Franz Josef Land (FJL)

The Norwegian Svalbard archipelago was known as Spitzbergen before 1925 and includes the island of Spitzbergen.  The Russian military's Franz Josef Land archipelago is also know as Franz Joseph Land and (less often) Franz Josef(ph) Islands.

(Bottom map of both archipelagoes is from a cruse company's PR map)
Svalbard:

A cool map of FJL from an 1894-97 expedition is too big to show as an image.  An FJL sketch map is depicted below.

magnamentis

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2017, 05:37:50 PM »
Svalbard and Franz Josef Land (FJL)
A cool map of FJL from an 1894-97 expedition is too big to show as an image.  An FJL sketch map is depicted below.

you can send me the image so i can gonna make it smaller for you if you like, assuming that you're talking about file size not image extent :-) however that as well could be fixed/altered, just in case you're interested.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2017, 08:19:31 PM »
Thanks, magnamentis.  From above, here is the "cool map of FJL from an 1894-97 expedition is too big to show as an image."  Click for enlarged, and much better looking, version.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2017, 08:14:02 PM »
This isn't an Arctic map, but some may find this cross-post helpful:
There is a mix of ice shelfs here: Only the first picture shows the Shackelton Ice Shelf, the others show the West Ice Shelf where a large ice berg is finally breaking apart after staying put for at least 25 years.

All of the above images show the Shackleton ice shelf.  The West ice shelf lies between Amery and Shackleton and is not shown above.  Please see the image below.

The ice island in Shackleton is sometimes known as Pobeda ice island: it is mentioned in my article The Amery Zig-Zags.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2017, 03:39:57 PM »
Crosspost plus Greenland map image (rotated - 'up' is to the right).  Click on links for 2 versions of map with scale.
'coastal topography'
http://membrane.com/sidd/greenland-2013/45-270.jpg
http://membrane.com/sidd/greenland-2013/large-1-text.jpg
I've yet to find better detail.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2017, 01:48:06 AM »
maps, more maps, I want more Arctic maps... (I'm writing for the thread, not my insatiable appetite.)
Here is a map of the Western Arctic region displayed ...

johnm33

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2017, 01:08:53 PM »
couple of interesting links, the first shows bathymetry worldwide reasonably well, but with too little detail for the shelves, the second is one of a series of 16 gives a slightly improved veiw but again lacks detail, and stops at 750 N/S
http://topex.ucsd.edu/marine_topo/globe.html
http://topex.ucsd.edu/marine_topo/jpg_images/topo4.jpg

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2017, 01:22:26 PM »
maps, more maps, I want more Arctic maps... (I'm writing for the thread, not my insatiable appetite.)
Here is a map of the Western Arctic region displayed ...

You could try contacting the Royal Geographical Society in London( RGS.org ). they've got heaven knows what in their archives.

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2017, 07:33:57 PM »
Nordaustlandet (northeast land) the second largest of Svalbard’s islands.

From a Royal Geographical Society's webpage:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:23:13 PM by Tor Bejnar »

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2017, 05:10:56 PM »
Here is a map showing the islands near Obuoy #14 in the Canadian Archipelago. (cross post from the Buoy thread) [Edit: revised map from revised Obuoy post]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:09:16 PM by Tor Bejnar »

sqwazw

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2017, 06:20:16 AM »
Not exactly a map, but it is pretty. Heres an exaggerated relief map of the bering strait, (High summer in 2021 by the looks of the ice):

Credit to reddit the front page for upvoting this.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2017, 07:06:21 PM »
cross post:
Hans Island is composed of Silurian aged limestone, per this  1931 map (via Geo. Survey of Denmark)
(Interesting that Petermann Fjord had a different name then.)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »
cross post:
Hans Island is composed of Silurian aged limestone, per this  1931 map (via Geo. Survey of Denmark)
(Interesting that Petermann Fjord had a different name then.)
Has the limestone gone dolomitic? Memories of breaking my hands and heart breaking up some of it in the Forest of Dean, England.
ps: These old maps are wonderful, made by true Mariner Masters.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2017, 04:13:33 PM »
A much better map than what I created June 15, 2015 (above)!
Mind you, by an ironic conincidence, "less than 1 million km2 of ice extent"  is almost exactly 15% of the average 1990s summer minimum...

Ha, I was wondering about that. Thanks, Peter. [...]

I like to say 'ice-free for all practical purposes', after hearing Walt Meier putting it like that once.

Someone has almost certainly already done this, but I don't know where, so I re-invented this wheel...

Here's a map showing what 1.0 million, 0.5 million, and 0.1 million km2 of ice extent could look like.  It's based on the grid cells with the maximum concentration in NSIDC September maps for the years 2008-2016.  My assumption is that ice will last longest in grid cells where Sept concentration is consistently the highest over the past decade.

[edit:  see map below]

If someone knows of a better version of this analysis here or elsewhere, please let me know!

Looking at the map, I'd say that 1 million km2 is actually a bit high for an "ice-free" threshold, personally.   
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 05:50:18 PM by Tor Bejnar »

cesium62

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2017, 01:08:09 AM »
https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/gazetteer/
looks like a definitive interactive map of officially named undersea features.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2017, 04:18:12 PM »
I don't recall posting a link to the sister thread Sea Level Rise Projections and Maps that is in the "AGW in general - Consequences" section.  (There are precious few references to the Arctic in that thread, and no actually maps of the Arctic posted there.)

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2017, 09:41:43 PM »
Real maps!  Cross post from What's new in Greenland? thread.  I particularly value the map on the right that shows where glaciers have 'deep water ports' and are therefore most likely to suffer from warm ocean water melting their undersides.  The Petermann Glacier's fjord's depth was (more or less) known to me.  Of interest is Jakobshavn Glacier's deep connection to the interior.  Then there is the 3rd 'direct access' to the interior via Kane Basin and Humboldt Glacier.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/new-greenland-maps-show-more-glaciers-at-risk

'New maps of Greenland’s coastal seafloor and bedrock beneath its massive ice sheet show that two to four times as many coastal glaciers are at risk of accelerated melting as previously thought.'

Sigh.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:52:18 PM by Tor Bejnar »

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2017, 11:18:50 AM »

So is this the largest freshwater "lake" in the world - by far ???

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2017, 08:44:03 PM »
Cross posts.  (Adam Ash's post is cross posted above on Nov. 8.)

Title: "New map reveals landscape beneath Greenland's ice sheet"

https://phys.org/news/2017-12-reveals-landscape-beneath-greenland-ice.html

I wonder what is the relationship between the "new Greenland map" Adam Ash reported on above (November 7) and this one ["published this week (Thursday 14 December 2017)"].

From November 7 linked article:
Researchers at the University of California at Irvine (UCI), NASA and 30 other institutions have published the most comprehensive, accurate and high-resolution relief maps ever made of Greenland's bedrock and coastal seafloor. Among the many data sources incorporated into the new maps are data from NASA's Ocean Melting Greenland (OMG) campaign.
From today's linked article:
Produced by researchers at British Antarctic Survey (BAS), University of Bristol and University of California at Irvine (UCI), the printed map is unveiled this week at the American Geophysical Union meeting in New Orleans.

"Greenland Basal Topography BedMachine v3" is the new 1:3,500,000 scale map created from data collected by over 30 institutions.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-12-reveals-landscape-beneath-greenland-ice.html#jCp

johnm33

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2017, 10:46:13 AM »
They still haven't corrected/eliminated the peninsular in front of Zacheraie

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2018, 09:23:06 PM »
Cross posts
The Boundaries of the Arctic Ocean Seas.

I looked for a definitive map of the Arctic Ocean with the boundaries marked in three ways - those used by the NSIDC for their regional extent and area spreadsheets, and the political boundaries.

I did not do very well.  I attach examples

Any idea where I can find them?

[Edit: Note: the following map on the NSIDC site is interactive: each region is selectable.]
I think this is the NSIDC regions map.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:06:21 PM by Tor Bejnar »

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2018, 03:28:10 PM »
Posted elsewhere by uniquorn

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2018, 07:40:23 PM »
Slightly OT but interesting:
Greenland’s Hand-Sized Wooden Maps Were Used for Storytelling, Not Navigation
<snip>
On February 8, 1885, a hunter named Kunit approached Holm (Danish explorer) with a driftwood carving he had made—a representation of unbroken coastline that could be flipped around as one followed the contours of the coast. “[Kunit] had carved the chart himself and declared that it was not unusual to make such charts when one wanted to tell others about regions they did not know,” Holm wrote. The hunter produced three maps in total, now collectively referred to as the “Ammassalik maps.”

One carving, 5.5 inches in length, is highly detailed, embedded with all sorts of information and place names for the fjords above and beyond the 65th parallel. It even indicates locations where a traveler would need to carry his kayak overland to get to the next fjord. Another carving measures a little over 8.5 inches long and depicts a specific chain of islands along the coast, connected by narrow stems. These two maps could be placed next to one another to demonstrate the relative positions of the islands along the coast. A third, smaller map was also commissioned by Holm and shows the fjords stretching from Sermiligaaq to Kangerlussuatsiaq and includes valleys, shores, and inlets farther inland. Holm never actually traveled through the regions represented by the maps, but they helped him get a larger understanding of the local geography.

Much more, including pictures and video, at the link.
Atlas Obscura

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2018, 03:44:37 PM »
Thank you Anne.  The article was fascinating. And maps are maps, so it wasn't 'off topic'!

Hyperion posted this baythymetric map elsewehere:

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2018, 01:26:05 PM »
Thank you Anne.  The article was fascinating. And maps are maps, so it wasn't 'off topic'!

I agree - maps is maps and always useful. So here are three more that I found useful when considering topics such as snow cover, effects of June river flows etc etc.

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2018, 11:07:09 PM »
One of my favourite resources for whole Arctic maps is the ECM, it gives some really nice theoretical maps based on global temperature changes

http://cci-reanalyzer.org/clim/ecm/

Bunch of small python Arctic Apps:
https://github.com/SimonF92/Arctic

johnm33

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2018, 01:01:43 PM »
This doesn't do a northern hemisphere projection, but it does allow for checking height/depth of features. Frinstance the depth of the hot-spot delivery trough

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2018, 12:17:01 PM »
Lots of stuff on the melting season thread on the Canadian Archipelago. Here is a political map with at least some of the names on.

https://www.dreamstime.com/nunavut-administrative-political-vector-map-flag-nunavut-administrative-political-vector-map-flag-image108825275

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2018, 07:55:23 PM »
DeLorme(now owned by Garmin) highway maps are "books" of maps of the states of the U.S. The representation of Alaska is  a 156 page real book, with the highest detailed sector maps giving a stunning lifetime study of Alaska. Unfortunately for this website's followers, northern & western representation maps (including Alaskan lands bordering the Bering Sea, above the Arctic Circle line & Aleution Islands) are at a lower presentation of detail (still good,tho) & no sea ice conditions are included. However, the high detailed south & eastern sector maps, including shorelines & interior, do have glacier extents (hopefully accurate).  I have a 1998 version (gotten at garage sale) that I love. An up-dated Delorme Alaskan map is available, & would give interesting physical terrain detail differences to the original, if such be the case.   
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:50:25 AM by litesong »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2018, 12:25:00 AM »
Reposted from Artic Cafe thread

Test your knowledge of the Arctic seas, basins and shelfs in this 100 piece puzzle i made of a map Uniquorn posted.

https://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=0a4eb46199b7
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

johnm33

« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2018, 08:49:25 PM »
For arctic bathymetry try this https://maps.ngdc.noaa.gov/viewers/bathymetry/
click Arctic on right;
turn off 'multibeam surveys' and 'NOAA hydrographic data',
 Basemap option 2
 Options +contours and +graticule
detail, more when you zooom in

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2018, 04:56:00 PM »
Cross post:
Ironbark Zinc took advantage of the poor ice conditions north of Greenland and chartered the ice breaking bulk carrier Nunavik for a tour to Citronen fjord as a proof of concept for their mine in the fjord.

http://sermitsiaq.ag/milepael-naaet-ironbark-projektet
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 06:30:26 PM by Tor Bejnar »

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2018, 05:17:20 PM »
Cross-post:
PS:

weather.us has direct day-to-day comparisons now for very many variables! Unfortunately the data only goes back to 2017, but here is the year over year for snow depth.

You can toggle back and forth for many other variables as well (SWE, water temp, sea ice, pretty much anything).

Go here and input whatever you want, just change region / timestamp etc:

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/massachusetts/gusts-3h-mph/20171030-0600z.html

The ^ data is from the EURO. On that note, it is interesting that EURO is the only model where water temps and sea ice appear to be un-static, perhaps explaining one of the reasons why it is so much more accurate than the GFS / CMC, both of which lack these options for toggling (and whose consistently terrible output leads me to believe they do not incorporate it beyond 00z hr data as well).
Thanks for the resource, BBR

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2018, 05:18:40 PM »
A map - of the position of the main Greenland glacier fronts. I can never remember them all (easily confused at my age).

Also posted on "What's new in Greenland"

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2019, 08:44:33 PM »
Not sure where this should go - but worth noting - looks like the Magnetic North Pole is sliding away from Canada / USA towards Russia.

I don't think this a DCMarvels superhero style achievement by some dastardly scientist / politician.....

"OSLO (Reuters) - Rapid shifts in the Earth’s north magnetic pole are forcing researchers to make an unprecedented early update to a model that helps navigation by ships, planes and submarines in the Arctic, scientists said.   
Compass needles point towards the north magnetic pole, a point which has crept unpredictably from the coast of northern Canada a century ago to the middle of the Arctic Ocean, moving towards Russia....... "

For a bit more (but no diagrams):
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-science-north/shifting-north-magnetic-pole-forces-unprecedented-navigation-fix-idUSKCN1P51UE

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2019, 12:32:43 AM »
Have found a map now - thanks to:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12189330

Looks like Nature has the original paper...
Update planned for 30th Jan is dependant on US gvt shutdown !!!

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2019, 07:06:02 AM »
This was posted by ASLR in the "ice apocalypse" thread, with some follow-on discussion

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2019, 12:07:07 AM »

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2019, 06:49:25 PM »
North America continental divides - cross-post
Where will all the snowmelt go?

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2019, 02:44:27 PM »

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2019, 08:00:24 PM »
cross post...
Hmmm.  I clicked on "Wikipedia map" and got a black X in a square instead of a map.  The map is at https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Operational_Navigation_Chart_A-5%2C_3rd_edition.jpg
I was looking for a map with place names for the north-northwest corner of Greenland and came upon this detailed Wikipedia map.  It appears to not include places like Oodaaq/Oodaap Qeqertaa (which may not exist any more) but looks very useful.  I also found a Mapcarta map, but place names don't exactly match locations!

Does Espen have an opinion?
Go to the map and look at it enlarged.  (Screen prints are at 25% and 400%, just for a taste.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:45:25 PM by Tor Bejnar »

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2019, 10:07:06 PM »
Hello Tor the 2 islands you are asking for are found in some few maps like this one from GEUS the northernmost of the "islands" (sand gravel) is located at 83.40 where as Kap Morris Jesup is at 83.39 see attachment
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:22:14 PM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2019, 10:37:28 PM »
And a few images from 1984 showing John Murray Island:
Have a ice day!

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2019, 01:21:05 AM »
I usually do know the difference between "Arctic" and "Antarctic", but cross-posts are [something]. :)

And for those who like to see where things are, here is a nice map of the various seas in Antarctica as used in these graphs.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2019, 04:03:39 AM »
Thank you Tor for continuing to update this important and interesting thread. Back-browsing here is a real pleasure.