Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Places becoming less livable  (Read 119904 times)

Shared Humanity

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 14
Re: Places becoming less livable
« Reply #700 on: November 25, 2018, 12:18:51 AM »
Bbr - does the "oncoming ice age" really have to be inserted into every thread?

It is his raison d'etre.

Shared Humanity

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #701 on: November 25, 2018, 12:20:40 AM »
I apologize, I will create a new thread for everyone's guesses re: political map of the world in 2100. I did not intend to make it about ice age just severe climate change (although obviously in my head that is where much of the NHEM is heading).

And in your head, I have no doubt it will happen.

Human Habitat Index

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #702 on: November 25, 2018, 01:47:09 AM »
I apologize, I will create a new thread for everyone's guesses re: political map of the world in 2100. I did not intend to make it about ice age just severe climate change (although obviously in my head that is where much of the NHEM is heading).

BBR I'm surprised that you are so optimistic that we will be around in 2100.

IMHO even 2030 is optimistic.
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

TerryM

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #703 on: November 25, 2018, 02:00:33 AM »

Is that we as a species, or we as a culture?
Terry

Wherestheice

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #704 on: November 25, 2018, 05:42:49 AM »

Let me know when the ice age comes :P
"When the ice goes..... F***

Human Habitat Index

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: November 25, 2018, 05:49:43 AM »

Is that we as a species, or we as a culture?
Terry

Species, all the trends are one way and showing signs of exponentiality.
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

Human Habitat Index

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 25, 2018, 05:54:52 AM »

Let me know when the ice age comes :P

Hot or cold doesn't matter, it's about how changes affect mass food production.

Wavy jetsteams cause persistent or "stuck" weather systems.

The day the world stopped is the day the weather stopped.

Red

« Reply #707 on: December 01, 2018, 11:40:42 AM »
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/03/ipbes-land-degradation-environmental-damage-report-spd/
MEDELLIN, COLOMBIAMore than 75 percent of Earth’s land areas are substantially degraded, undermining the well-being of 3.2 billion people, according to the world’s first comprehensive, evidence-based assessment. These lands that have either become deserts, are polluted, or have been deforested and converted to agricultural production are also the main causes of species extinctions.

If this trend continues, 95 percent of the Earth’s land areas could become degraded by 2050. That would potentially force hundreds of millions of people to migrate, as food production collapses in many places, the report warns. (Learn more about biodiversity under threat.)

“Land degradation, biodiversity loss, and climate change are three different faces of the same central challenge: the increasingly dangerous impact of our choices on the health of our natural environment,” said Sir Robert Watson, chair of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES), which produced the report (launched Monday in Medellin, Colombia).

IPBES is the "IPCC for biodiversity"—a scientific assessment of the status of non-human life that makes up the Earth’s life-support system. The land degradation assessment took three years and more than 100 leading experts from 45 countries.

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 90
« Reply #708 on: December 12, 2018, 03:47:45 PM »
CAL FIRE Chief says 1) some areas should be off-limits to housing, 2) citizens should be prepared to shelter in place, 3) the agency is having a "sea change" about prescribed fire, 4) firefighters are "living climate change"

Cal Fire chief: State must mull home ban in fire-prone areas
Cal Fire Director Ken Pimlott will leave his job Friday after 30 years with the agency. In an interview with The Associated Press, he said government and citizens must act differently to protect lives and property from fires that now routinely threaten large populations.

That may mean rethinking subdivisions in thickly forested mountainous areas or homes along Southern California canyons lined with tinder-dry chaparral. Los Angeles County supervisors on Tuesday were considering whether to allow a 19,000-home development in fire-prone mountains amid heavy criticism of the location's high fire danger.

California residents should also train themselves to respond more quickly to warnings and make preparations to shelter in place if they can't outrun the flames, Pimlott said.

Communities in fire zones need to harden key buildings with fireproof construction similar to the way cities prepare for earthquakes, hurricanes or tornadoes, and should prepare commercial or public buildings to withstand fires with the expectation hundreds may shelter there as they did in makeshift fashion when flames last month largely destroyed the Sierra Nevada foothills city of Paradise in Northern California. ...
https://www.kcra.com/article/cal-fire-chief-state-must-adapt-to-new-wildfire-norm/25475297

Cross-posted from Wildfires thread
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 90
« Reply #709 on: December 15, 2018, 12:52:58 AM »
U.S.:  South Carolina

Rain floods parts of Charleston area, more expected for afternoon commute
The downpours moved in before daylight. By late morning, areas from Johns Island to northern Mount Pleasant had collected between 2 and 3 inches of rain, easily shattering a daily record at the Charleston International Airport.
For the fourth time this year, Summerville shelter Dorchester Paws closed its doors to deal with 5 to 9 inches of standing water that flooded the facility’s parking lot and yards. The kennel scrambled to find temporary fosters. ...
https://www.postandcourier.com/news/rain-floods-parts-of-charleston-area-more-expected-for-afternoon/article_9f07b11a-ff99-11e8-88ef-cf93e3d05b70.html
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

vox_mundi

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #710 on: December 17, 2018, 04:09:12 AM »
Tehran Is Sinking Dangerously
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-12/ggph-wti120618.php

Iran has a water problem. The reserves in many groundwater basins there have been severely depleted. For the last forty years, the country has invested a lot in the agricultural sector and has been striving to be independent in its food supply. In order to cover the increased water demand, groundwater basins have been exploited to a considerable extent in a hardly state-regulated way.

In addition, the government built a lot of dams to store water for specific purposes, particularly in agriculture. However, this restricted the natural inflow into the country's groundwater basins in the downstream, in turn contributing to desertification and serious environmental issues like shrinkage of Lake Urmia, the world's second-largest salt lake in northwest Iran, and frequent dust and sand storms in recent years in the Khuzestan province in the southwest.

In the region around Tehran, the capital city of eight million inhabitants, the demand for water has also risen sharply due to the influx of many new inhabitants over the last four decades. The number of wells there rose from just under 4000 in 1968 to more than 32.000 in 2012. In addition, there was a lack of rainfall in periods of drought, which have occurred more frequently in recent years. All of this has greatly lowered the groundwater level - in Tehran, for example, by twelve meters between 1984 and 2011

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

vox_mundi

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 18, 2018, 08:26:01 PM »
Disaster-Linked Losses in 2018 Hit $155 Billion: Swiss Re 
https://m.phys.org/news/2018-12-disaster-linked-losses-billion-swiss.html

... Events this year "highlight the increasing vulnerability of the ever-growing concentration of humans and property values on coastlines and in the urban-wildlife interface."

Overall, the figures served as a reminder that "extreme weather conditions can quickly turn into catastrophe," the company said.

Among the major events causing damage this year were hurricanes Michael and Florence, a series of typhoons in Asia and the recent California wildfires.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #712 on: January 01, 2019, 02:32:41 AM »

TerryM

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #713 on: January 01, 2019, 03:57:06 AM »
That's a powerful link sidd. It points out that immigrants are now being attacked from the left as well as the political right.
If peace should somehow break out, perhaps in Syria or Afghanistan, at least some of the newly migrant might be happy to return to the homes they fled.

I've developed my own prejudice's ever since my fearless (and feckless?) leader made noises about welcoming the White Helmets and their families to Canada.

Have a wonderful new year sidd
Terry

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 01, 2019, 05:48:39 AM »
The climate crises will bite harder every year, and accompanying instability and great power games. Spare a thought tonight for those hapless folk ground under the juggernaut.

A good new year to you, TerryM.

sidd

bligh8

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #715 on: January 01, 2019, 05:58:24 PM »
For 2018:

Annual: As of December 29th, statewide annual precipitation is 63.25”

NJ’s statewide annual precipitation averages 46.36”.

100 days with winds gusting to 40 mph or higher (2017 had 89). Of these, 25 had gusts of at least 50 mph (2017 had 34).

Yesterday it was 62DegF, heavy rain and windy into last night so the above will change.

From <https://www.njweather.org/content/top-ten-new-jersey-weather-and-climate-events-2018>

The rain interfered with outside work mostly in March, April & May…& high temps limited summer time outside heavy work into September.

The above remark was garnered from conversations with large construction products suppliers
across Monmouth county.

Bligh

And of course....best to all in the coming year

Edit:
     Coastal flooding
        Minor to moderate coastal flooding with beach erosion, road flooding and some structural damage occurred most notably on January 3rd–4th, March 2nd, March 12th–14th, March 20th–22nd, September 7th–10th, October 27th, and November 16th.
        The most substantial flooding of the year occurred on the morning of the 27th. The water level of 7.70’ in Atlantic City was the 13th highest in well over 75 years of record. The 8.77’ water level at Sandy Hook (Monmouth) was the 12th highest in over 75 years of record.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 06:40:08 PM by bligh8 »

bbr2314

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #716 on: January 01, 2019, 06:20:11 PM »
A billion plus people wanna move:

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2018/12/31/pers-d31.html

sidd
Thank goodness for our thousands of nuclear weapons and the two great oceans between this continent and Eurasia.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 92
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #717 on: January 01, 2019, 09:41:05 PM »
Tallahassee, Florida had a very wet December and therefore a wet 2018.  Of real note is the loss (from climatic normal) of heating degree days (99 - about 25% down) and the extra cooling degree days (497 - about 20% up). NOAA records
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

Klondike Kat

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #718 on: January 01, 2019, 10:11:19 PM »

sidd

Yet, there is no mention of climate refugees.  I wonder how this compares to those who migrated during the early part of the 20th century.

Grubbegrabben

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #719 on: January 02, 2019, 02:03:11 AM »

sidd
Thank goodness for our thousands of nuclear weapons and the two great oceans between this continent and Eurasia.

From the study: "...desire is also up significantly in Northern America, where 14% want to migrate after years of remaining flat near 10%. This is almost entirely driven by increases in the U.S. in 2016 and 2017. The one in six Americans (16%) in 2017 who said they would like to move to another country is the highest measure to date...". Yeah, nuke yourselves out. Thanks ;-)

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: January 10, 2019, 10:39:04 PM »
Miami in a world of shit: widespread septic tank failure

"  By 2040, 64 percent of county septic tanks (more than 67,000) could have issues every year "

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article224132115.html

sidd

vox_mundi

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 18, 2019, 12:41:17 PM »
One Heatwave Killed 'a Third' of a Bat Species in Australia   
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-46859000

Over two days in November, record-breaking heat in Australia's north wiped out almost one-third of the nation's spectacled flying foxes, according to researchers.

The animals, also known as spectacled fruit bats, were unable to survive in temperatures which exceeded 42C.

Lead researcher Dr Justin Welbergen, an ecologist, believes the "biblical scale" of deaths could be even higher - as many as 30,000 - because some settlements had not been counted.

Australia had only an estimated 75,000 spectacled flying foxes before November, according to government-backed statistics.

"This sort of event has not happened in Australia this far north since European settlement," says Dr Welbergen.

Dr Welbergen says about 10,000 bats of another species - black flying foxes - succumbed to the heat during the same two-day period.

--------------

Australia Heatwave: Overnight Minimum of 35.9C In Noona Sets New Record 
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jan/18/australia-heatwave-sydneys-west-to-hit-45c-after-week-of-extreme-weather

-----------------

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-46886798

Australia has just sweltered through at least five of its 10 warmest days on record, authorities estimate.

A section of highway connecting Sydney and Melbourne started to melt. Bats fell dead from the trees, struck down by the heat.

On the northern Great Barrier Reef, 99% of baby green sea turtles, a species whose sex is determined by temperature, were found to be female.

In outer suburban Sydney, the heat hit 47.3C (117F) before a cool change knocked it down - to the relative cool of just 43.6C in a neighbouring suburb the following day.

Scenes from a sci-fi novel depicting a scorched future? No, just the first days of 2018 2019 in Australia, where summer is in fierce form

( Thanks TB)
« Last Edit: Today at 01:40:33 AM by vox_mundi »