Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: PIG has calved  (Read 255524 times)

Wipneus

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 217
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PIG has calved
« Reply #850 on: November 10, 2018, 11:09:17 AM »

Would you mind to combine this photograph with the one you posted on Reply #767 on: September 21, 2018, 09:11:33 AM? Is this the same crack or a new one?

Thanks a lot!

It is the same (suspected) crack. These Landsat images are just able to show the dent in the snow, very much depending on the Sun elevation and direction.

I am downloading a clear Landsat image from 7 November now, which is really a night image so has a low Sun position. See how that shows.

I intent to closely follow any developments of this crack of course, but surprise (to me) calving do happen.

FredBear

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #851 on: November 10, 2018, 12:52:33 PM »
NASA Ice has put up some photos of the PIG area on FaceBook, some are :-

No.4. Crevasses in Pine Island Glacier show where the ice is drifting apart. (Brooke Medley/NASA)
No.3. In this close-up of Iceberg B-46, the crumbling edge of the cliff are visible. (Brooke Medley/NASA)
No. 5. The shadow of NASA's DC-8 provides scale for the massive Iceberg B-46. (Brooke Medley/NASA)

Wipneus

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #852 on: November 10, 2018, 12:53:10 PM »
Here is that nightly Landsat image from 7 November. It is the same as the NASA image reported some posts above. NASA did succeed to give it a "sunny" look, but the sun's elevation above the horizon is only 1.15 degrees. So I don't mind a more shadowy appearance after some contrast enhancement.

Those shadows bring out more linear features of which the middle one (of three most prominent) is the one I mentioned before.

1400x1400 pixels (15m/pix) : click for that hi-res image.

Shared Humanity

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #853 on: November 10, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »
As soon as it calves, the berg begins to break up at the rifts that run parallel to the calving as well as perpendicular where the pronounced rifts are. The PIG is in a slow motion disintegration and those rifts further south from the new face will result in additional calving soon.

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 178
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #854 on: November 10, 2018, 05:23:26 PM »
As soon as it calves, the berg begins to break up at the rifts that run parallel to the calving as well as perpendicular where the pronounced rifts are. The PIG is in a slow motion disintegration and those rifts further south from the new face will result in additional calving soon.

Remember (per the attached diagram) that this 'rifts' parallel to the calving face first form way upstream as the grounded glacial ice accelerates downhill, and then these rifts close-up as the angle of the surface slope decreases.  Further, I believe that as the ice velocities continue to increase (with continued global warming) these parallel rifts will have less time to heal themselves before they are subject to calving when they move down into the ice shelf.
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Shared Humanity

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #855 on: November 10, 2018, 08:44:06 PM »
Thank you for posting that again. Now I get it.

oren

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 317
  • Likes Given: 590
« Reply #856 on: November 10, 2018, 09:24:41 PM »
Thanks to all for the detailed images and info in this thread. The PIIS indeed seems to be in a slow motion disintegration. Very bad.

Sleepy

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 68
« Reply #857 on: November 11, 2018, 07:35:29 AM »
Since Pine Island used to calve on decadal timeframes it's insanely bad.
I almost printed out that last image posted by Wipneus...
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

Stephan

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #858 on: November 11, 2018, 07:45:04 AM »
I think we all should thank Wipneus and ASLR for important and impressive contributions to this thread.
PIG / PIIS seems to be the canary in the coalmine concerning the WAIS stability and must be continuously observed.

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: November 11, 2018, 04:14:47 PM »
I would like to express my appreciation for the many contributions that A-Team made to this thread in 2015 & 2016 (before he stopped posting here), particularly with regard to the upstream ice dynamics for PIG, by reposting a very few of his numerous scientific grade images:
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: November 12, 2018, 09:37:33 PM »
All,

Due to Neven's management style in this forum I have decided to stop posting here,

Sayonara,
ASLR
― Leon C. Megginson

solartim27

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #861 on: November 12, 2018, 10:00:00 PM »
All,

Due to Neven's management style in this forum I have decided to stop posting here,

Sayonara,
ASLR

Well, that sucks.  Thanks for all the input.
FNORD

Sleepy

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 68
« Reply #862 on: November 12, 2018, 10:07:38 PM »
Agreed. ASLR's posts around Antarctica was the reason I started reading here in late 2013. I don't follow the political threads. All the best whatever you decide ASLR.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

SteveMDFP

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #863 on: November 13, 2018, 04:51:30 AM »
All,

Sayonara,
ASLR

You've been tireless in presenting an astonishing diversity of scientific information and of thoughtful contributions.  We're losing a star.

bligh8

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #864 on: November 13, 2018, 05:01:17 AM »
Agreed. ASLR's posts around Antarctica was the reason I started reading here in late 2013. I don't follow the political threads. All the best whatever you decide ASLR.

+1

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #865 on: November 13, 2018, 05:17:01 AM »
All,

Sayonara,
ASLR

Too bad, but the republican nutjobs make any forum nearly intolerable to follow. I might follow the suit, not willing to compromise on political threads.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 06:44:20 AM by Pmt111500 »
Amateur observations of Sea Ice since 2003.

magnamentis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
    • Philosophy Ethics Numerology Mikrocirkulation Vaskular Therapie Gesundheit Blut Gesundheit Schmerzen Multiple Sklerose Diabetes Immunsystem Fibromyalgia Modular Mobile Computing iOS Software OSX Android Custom Rom Rooted
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #866 on: November 13, 2018, 05:29:01 AM »
All,

Sayonara,
ASLR

a real pity while i would be very interested to understand what happened that was so serious that it was leading to such a decision. i found your input precious and educating but i also can side very well with most things that neven is doing and contributing.

i find it always pitiful to see how people with similar goals in similar or the same fields part for personal IMO petty discrepancies. with petty i don't mean that the discrepancies are not important but considering the task at hand here, to make >7'000'000 people and their leaders aware of what's going to happen if we don't change our life-styles a forum management should not be important enough to stop the real working on the real task at hand which is to reduce the impact of our evildoings to planet earth to a possible minimum.

apparently personal disputes once more help to kill the process to steer the vessel of the cliff, not good.
http://magnamentis.com
Knowledge, Understanding & Insight Are Among The Best Sources For Personal Freedom & Vitality !

Juan C. García

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #867 on: November 13, 2018, 06:34:30 AM »
All,

Sayonara,
ASLR

Did Neven lost his temper for once in 5 years? Well, he is human, like the rest of us.
I want to thank Neven for all the effort on this Forum and on the ASIB. And I want to thank AbruptSLR for the same reason. It is happening to several of us. Just a lot of psycological pressure, with all that it is happening on climate change and feeling that the governments are not reacting well enough. So, thank you both.

AbruptSLR, I will ask you to reconsider your decision. Hope to see you around here soon!
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

Stephan

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #868 on: November 13, 2018, 07:35:23 PM »
All,

Sayonara,
ASLR
This is really hard. Is there a chance that you change that decision? We need you here!
Anyway, thanks a million for your posts, your well-researched information and for giving us the opportunity to share your experience and knowledge.

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 211
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #869 on: November 13, 2018, 08:15:25 PM »
...sigh...

Wipneus

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #870 on: November 19, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »
I posted the first attached image before, here

Second is the same suspected crack pictured by Sentinel 2B, same resolution different orientation. The improved quality still shows not show much more than a dent in the snow.

Wipneus

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #871 on: December 09, 2018, 01:08:46 PM »
Detail of some break-up of the latest (September) Calving in this Sentinel 2B shown in native 10m/pix resolution. The preference for square angles is obvious.