Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Global Surface Air Temperatures  (Read 882304 times)

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 154
  • Likes Given: 499
Re: Global Surface Air Temperatures
« Reply #2650 on: June 09, 2024, 03:30:59 PM »
if temps were .24 degrees cooler than we thought ..... then it follows that the temp rise is .24 greater than we thought ......for the same increase in GHG"s  ....... hence sensitivity is greater

Or did i miss something ?  ......always happy to be shown the error of my ways !!

Sensitivity is calculated by starting a model in an equilibrium state, which is got by running it for 100 years or so to check that nothing substantial is changing. Then CO2 is instantly increased by four times, and the model is run for another 100 years or so to see how much the temperature increases. Half that increase is the sensitivity.

If the starting equilibrium is not a realistic climate, then there's a problem with the model in general, and fixing it might move the sensitivity up a bit, up a lot, or even down a bit. There's plenty of reasons to think it might be higher, and this points vaguely in that direction too, but its far from conclusive.

The equilibrium state is key.  We know temperatures fluctuated significantly over the previous millennia, while CO2 levels remained fairly constant.

Renerpho

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #2651 on: June 09, 2024, 05:03:50 PM »
if temps were .24 degrees cooler than we thought ..... then it follows that the temp rise is .24 greater than we thought ......for the same increase in GHG"s  ....... hence sensitivity is greater

Or did i miss something ?  ......always happy to be shown the error of my ways !!

Sensitivity is calculated by starting a model in an equilibrium state, which is got by running it for 100 years or so to check that nothing substantial is changing. Then CO2 is instantly increased by four times, and the model is run for another 100 years or so to see how much the temperature increases. Half that increase is the sensitivity.

If the starting equilibrium is not a realistic climate, then there's a problem with the model in general, and fixing it might move the sensitivity up a bit, up a lot, or even down a bit. There's plenty of reasons to think it might be higher, and this points vaguely in that direction too, but its far from conclusive.

The equilibrium state is key.  We know temperatures fluctuated significantly over the previous millennia, while CO2 levels remained fairly constant.

What do you mean? If you're talking about the local variations, commonly referred to as the "little ice age" and the "medieval warm period", those were not global, but mostly limited to the northern hemisphere (especially Europe). The global temperature average was quite stable over the past 2,000 years, varying by no more than about +/- 0.3°C over that period (much less than what we've seen since 1850). Quote: "Global average temperatures show that the Medieval Warm Period was not a planet-wide phenomenon, and that the Little Ice Age was not a distinct planet-wide time period but rather the end of a long temperature decline that preceded recent global warming." (See here for source information.)

This can be extended further, to the very end of the last ice age (source):

Global temperatures were in equilibrium (small/slow variations notwithstanding) for thousands of years before the current warming began. Even the temperature increase at the end of the last ice age, 17,000 to 10,000 years ago, while much larger absolutely, was also much slower than what we see today. Global temperatures are increasing at a rate of about 0.3°C per decade right now, faster than at any point during the last warming period.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 05:25:25 PM by Renerpho »
Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level.

Renerpho

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #2652 on: June 09, 2024, 07:40:17 PM »
Global temperatures are increasing at a rate of about 0.3°C per decade right now, faster than at any point during the last warming period.

And this is in line with the fact that CO2 now is rising much faster than it did during the last deglaciation:

Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 154
  • Likes Given: 499
« Reply #2653 on: June 09, 2024, 08:04:59 PM »

What do you mean? If you're talking about the local variations, commonly referred to as the "little ice age" and the "medieval warm period", those were not global, but mostly limited to the northern hemisphere (especially Europe). The global temperature average was quite stable over the past 2,000 years, varying by no more than about +/- 0.3°C over that period (much less than what we've seen since 1850). Quote: "Global average temperatures show that the Medieval Warm Period was not a planet-wide phenomenon, and that the Little Ice Age was not a distinct planet-wide time period but rather the end of a long temperature decline that preceded recent global warming." (See here for source information.)

Global temperatures were in equilibrium (small/slow variations notwithstanding) for thousands of years before the current warming began. Even the temperature increase at the end of the last ice age, 17,000 to 10,000 years ago, while much larger absolutely, was also much slower than what we see today. Global temperatures are increasing at a rate of about 0.3°C per decade right now, faster than at any point during the last warming period.

I mean exactly what I said.  Even if the mwp and lia were confined to the northern hemisphere, that is still half of the globe.  Surely, that would have some impact!  In recent warming, the northern hemisphere is outpacing the southern.  Shall we dismiss that as an aberration also?

I prefer data from scientific sources, rather than wikipedia, and acknowledge that there is an uncertainty in proxy data, and choosing the one dataset that best represents your viewpoint, is not the best practice.  As can be seen from the graph, the choice of timeframe for preindustrial temperatures can make a large difference, and may include natural causes.

"Please understand that there is not one single correct reconstruction. Most of these reconstructions show a clear Medieval Warm Period and a clear Little Ice Age. Presently, we are interested in the reconstructions prior to about 1950."

http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/students/courselinks/spring17/atmo336s2/lectures/sec5/controversy_spring20.html

"There is a great deal of difficulty and uncertainty in trying to reconstruct global average temperature changes based on proxy data. One thing we can say with some certainty is that global average temperatures have fluctuated all throughout Earth's history, including the last 2000 years. Prior to 1900, we can safely say that the changes were not caused by anthropogenic additions of greenhouse gases, but were natural fluctuations."
« Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 08:53:03 PM by The Walrus »

John_the_Younger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #2654 on: June 09, 2024, 11:51:44 PM »
Prior to 1900, we can safely say that the changes were not caused by anthropogenic additions of greenhouse gases, but were natural fluctuations.
I recall reading that some scientists discern human-induced greenhouse gas emissions from up to about 10,000 years ago - especially via rice cultivation and forest fire promulgation.  I understand that these human-caused emissions more-or-less countered Milankovitch cycles-caused cooling until 150+/- years ago whence they took off.

A quick search for one: Ruddiman (2003) saying 8,000 years:
THE ANTHROPOGENIC GREENHOUSE ERA BEGAN THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO
WILLIAM F. RUDDIMAN
Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22904, U.S.A. E-mail: wfr5c@virginia.edu
Abstract. The anthropogenic era is generally thought to have begun 150 to 200 years ago, when the industrial revolution began producing CO2 and CH4 at rates sufficient to alter their compositions in the atmosphere. A different hypothesis is posed here: anthropogenic emissions of these gases first altered atmospheric concentrations thousands of years ago. This hypothesis is based on three arguments. (1) Cyclic variations in CO2 and CH4 driven by Earth-orbital changes during the last 350,000 years predict decreases throughout the Holocene, but the CO2 trend began an anomalous increase 8000 years ago, and the CH4 trend did so 5000 years ago. (2) Published explanations for these mid- to late-Holocene gas increases based on natural forcing can be rejected based on paleocli- matic evidence. (3) A wide array of archeological, cultural, historical and geologic evidence points to viable explanations tied to anthropogenic changes resulting from early agriculture in Eurasia, including the start of forest clearance by 8000 years ago and of rice irrigation by 5000 years ago. In recent millennia, the estimated warming caused by these early gas emissions reached a global-mean value of ∼0.8◦C and roughly 2◦C at high latitudes, large enough to have stopped a glaciation of northeastern Canada predicted by two kinds of climatic models. CO2 oscillations of ∼10 ppm in the last 1000 years are too large to be explained by external (solar-volcanic) forcing, but they can be explained by outbreaks of bubonic plague that caused historically documented farm abandonment in western Eurasia. Forest regrowth on abandoned farms sequestered enough carbon to account for the observed CO2 decreases. Plague-driven CO2 changes were also a significant causal factor in temperature changes during the Little Ice Age (1300–1900 AD).

kiwichick16

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 102
  • Likes Given: 41

kiwichick16

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 102
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #2656 on: June 10, 2024, 01:22:51 AM »
looking at that graph , you can see the rise in CO2 levels about 125,000 years ago , of approx 100ppm CO2 ........and temps rose 6-7 degrees C

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 665
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2657 on: June 10, 2024, 02:07:01 AM »
What is funny about people who use the little ice age as proof that global temp vary a lot is they produce graphs that disprove their idea.

For example... http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/students/courselinks/spring17/atmo336s2/lectures/sec5/controversy_spring20.html

It shows a global drop during the little ice age on a global level of about -0.4 C
It also shows a graph of temps in Greenland... not sure how that relates to global temps but it does show a more varied, regional, temp variation.

But the author seems to think that a wider variation in temps in Greenland somehow proves the the same is true on a global scale... which it isn't but that is what cherry picked data is all about.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2065
  • Likes Given: 2004
« Reply #2658 on: June 13, 2024, 09:35:45 AM »
NASA Confirms: Every Month For Last Year Was Hottest on Record

It's not always easy to understand the current climate crisis in terms of simple, straightforward facts – not with so many variables at play – but here's a worrying stat for you: every single month of the last 12 has set a new global temperature record for that month.

NASA has confirmed that May 2024 followed April, March, February, and January in hitting new highs in terms of average global temperatures. Before that, June through December 2023 had done exactly the same.

A streak like this has never been seen before for as long as records have been kept, and it's an indication of the rapid warming that our planet is now experiencing. What's even more sobering is that there's worse to come.

Last November, the global average temperature was more than 2 °C hotter than pre-industrial levels for the first time, while the US just recorded its warmest ever winter.

Despite the evidence that our planet's climate is shifting drastically, humanity is pumping out more greenhouse gas emissions than at any point in history. We're hurtling towards a climate cliff edge and showing no signs of slowing down.

https://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-confirms-every-month-for-last-year-was-hottest-on-record

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5325
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #2659 on: June 18, 2024, 08:21:36 PM »
https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/t2_daily/?dm_id=world

SATs to 12 June (15 June for world from copernicus "pulse") Post 1 of 3

World for most days in 2024 still at daily record highs

Tropics for most days in 2024 still at daily record highs. In the last few days flirting with 2023 SSTs.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: June 18, 2024, 08:27:46 PM »

SATs to 12 June (15 June for world from copernicus "pulse") Post 2 of 3

Arctic No records here

AntarcticA unusally high spike end may beginning of June. Apart from that normal high variability. No records so far.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: June 18, 2024, 08:34:05 PM »

SATs to 12 June (15 June for world from copernicus "pulse") Post 3 of 3

Average temperatures year to date - World & Tropics 1 degree C above the 1979-2000 mean

Even with less than half the year gone in 2024, both the Tropics and World show a high number of days at recotd high SATs, a big contrast with the Arctic and Antarctic.