Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Zachariae Isstrøm / Nioghalvfjerdsfjorden / NE Greenland  (Read 407794 times)

johnm33

Re: Zachariae Isstrøm / Nioghalvfjerdsfjorden / NE Greenland
« Reply #1050 on: August 23, 2020, 07:58:08 PM »
With a before and after on polarview too.   
   Looking upstream there's an ovaloid area that looked like it collapsed a week or more ago, and the 'banding' which i think suggests the area is grounded in water has been fading plus there've been huge freshwater discharges on hycom it's almost a surprise it took so long given the loss of the melange in front of it. I do wonder if having started to move it may be somewhat lubricated?
 There's a wonderful clear view of Jakobshavn on sentinel from 22:08 which shows calving to both faces.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2385
  • Likes Given: 2031
« Reply #1051 on: August 24, 2020, 02:28:51 AM »
A Worldview animation of the whole region from the last really clear day, Aug6-Aug23.
It's interesting that while the bay cleared, some of the largest ice pieces actually moved "backwards" to the north.
The ZI calving can be seen even at this resolution, and perhaps a tiny calving an N79.
Click.

p.s. I think the events confirm again that the sea ice and melange in the bay provides some buttressing, and when cleared calving will tend to be easier.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 220
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1052 on: August 24, 2020, 09:04:56 AM »
Final result of the calving session at Zachariae Isstrøm between Aug. 21 and Aug. 22 2020:

Please click on image to animate!
Have a ice day!

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: August 24, 2020, 11:33:42 AM »
Thank you Espen.
Could you perhaps update your famous image showing the calving front line for each year?

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: August 24, 2020, 04:32:50 PM »
Thank you Espen.
Could you perhaps update your famous image showing the calving front line for each year?

Oren here you go, not much different from 2019, only up against Kap Zachariae and down toward Kap Zach

Please click on image to enlarge!
Have a ice day!

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 24, 2020, 10:37:58 PM »
Thanks!

Dave55

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #1056 on: September 01, 2020, 03:36:28 AM »
Wow - open water at the calving face of Zacharie Isstrøm.  Don't recall ever seeing this before.

Alphabet Hotel

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #1057 on: September 01, 2020, 06:59:17 PM »
Animation comparing Aug 27 with Aug 31

click to animate

Diaminedave

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1058 on: September 03, 2020, 08:52:26 AM »
Spaltegletscher.
Seems to be on the move and breakink up slightly after being stuck for the last few months

OffTheGrid

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #1059 on: September 06, 2020, 11:45:26 PM »
Very scary picture of the collapsed NE Greenland 2000+ sqkm basin thats up to a km deep behind these Glaciers. On the right the dark area is inland of the coastal ranges. Now islands with the calving front merging all the glaciers from north and ne Greenland into one downsloping, below sealevel front, over 200 km long.

nukefix

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #1060 on: September 08, 2020, 01:09:06 PM »
Very scary picture of the collapsed NE Greenland 2000+ sqkm basin thats up to a km deep behind these Glaciers. On the right the dark area is inland of the coastal ranges. Now islands with the calving front merging all the glaciers from north and ne Greenland into one downsloping, below sealevel front, over 200 km long.
I have trouble understanding the point you're making - is the ice stream losing contact with some islands that currently provide back-pressure? I don't think the basin is "collapsing" at this point in time.

vox_mundi

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2471
  • Likes Given: 334
« Reply #1061 on: September 14, 2020, 06:40:17 AM »
Warmth Shatters Section of Greenland Ice Shelf
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-54127279

A big chunk of ice has just broken away from the Arctic's largest remaining ice shelf - 79N, or Nioghalvfjerdsfjorden - in north-east Greenland.

The ejected section covers about 110 square km; satellite imagery shows it to have shattered into many small pieces.

The loss is further evidence say scientists of the rapid climate changes taking place in Greenland.

"The atmosphere in this region has warmed by about 3C since 1980," said Dr Jenny Turton.

"And in 2019 and 2020, it saw record summer temperatures," the polar researcher at Friedrich-Alexander University in Germany told BBC News.

Nioghalvfjerdsfjorden is roughly 80km long by 20km wide and is the floating front end of the Northeast Greenland Ice Stream - where it flows off the land into the ocean to become buoyant.

At its leading edge, the 79N glacier splits in two, with a minor offshoot turning directly north. It's this offshoot, or tributary, called Spalte Glacier, that has now disintegrated.

The higher air temperatures recorded in the region are obvious from the large number of melt ponds that sit on top of the shelf ice

Oceanographers have also documented warmer sea temperatures which mean the shelf ice is almost certainly being melted from beneath as well.

"79N became 'the largest remaining Arctic ice shelf' only fairly recently, after the Petermann Glacier in northwest Greenland lost a lot of area in 2010 and 2012," explained Prof Jason Box from the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland (GEUS).

"What makes 79N so important is the way it's attached to the interior ice sheet, and that means that one day - if the climate warms as we expect - this region will probably become one of the major centres of action for the deglaciation of Greenland."

The Northeast Greenland Ice Stream drains about 15% of the interior ice sheet. The stream funnels its ice either down N79 or the glacial member just to the south, Zachariae Isstrom. Zachariae has already lost most of its floating ice shelf area.

Prof Box said N79 could resist longer because it was penned in right at its forward end by some islands. This lends a degree of stability. But, he added, the shelf continues to thin, albeit mostly further back along the trunk.

"This will likely lead to N79 disintegrating from the middle, which is kind of unique. I guess, though, that won't happen for another 10 or 20 years. Who knows?" he told BBC News.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 06:46:12 AM by vox_mundi »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: September 14, 2020, 08:31:11 AM »
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 08:59:12 AM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: September 15, 2020, 07:49:15 PM »
It always amazed how stuff is pinched in the so called science industry, and in the case about the calving at Spaltegletscher in July this year, is a very good example, the calving happened June 30 2020 and was reported by anaphylaxia and documented by me a few hours later by graphic:

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,400.msg271321.html#msg271321

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,400.msg271329.html#msg271329

What really worries me is that happens in the same country Denmark where I am a resident and tax payer, Geus which is 100% subsidized by the Danish State.
And I know for sure I was under "investigation" by GEUS and several of their staff the days before the release of this "report", so they knew what they were doing. I am really dissapointed with the so called professionals in the science industry! Really gefundenes Fressen for people like for instance Trump!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 08:07:12 PM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Stephan

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 502
  • Likes Given: 243
« Reply #1064 on: September 15, 2020, 08:18:29 PM »
This calving event made it into the main TV news "Tagesschau" in Germany yesterday. I really wondered why they needed ten weeks to broadcast it...
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: September 15, 2020, 08:27:38 PM »
This calving event made it into the main TV news "Tagesschau" in Germany yesterday. I really wondered why they needed ten weeks to broadcast it...

Because A Science Company in Denmark called GEUS needed a good story, they went on and pinched it from ASIF, wonder why Trump dont believe in science?
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 24, 2020, 08:12:31 PM »
Before it all gets dark, here is good view of the situation at Zachariae Isstrøm from September 23 2020:

Click on image to enlarge!
Have a ice day!

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #1067 on: September 24, 2020, 10:16:04 PM »
Sometimes 'Click to Enlarge' doesn't do much for me.  Sometimes it does.  This is one of the "it does" times!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

RoxTheGeologist

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 157
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #1068 on: September 25, 2020, 08:41:05 PM »
Sometimes 'Click to Enlarge' doesn't do much for me.  Sometimes it does.  This is one of the "it does" times!

Seriously! That is an amazing image.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: October 27, 2020, 12:01:48 PM »
A massive calving session happened again at Zachariae Isstrøm between Oct 20 and Oct 26 2020. Nice to have these Sentinel 1 Data now while it is dark up north.

Please click on image to animate!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:26:32 PM by Espen »
Have a ice day!