Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Population: Public Enemy No. 1  (Read 127947 times)

Shared Humanity

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 393
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: Population: Public Enemy No. 1
« Reply #600 on: September 03, 2019, 06:27:11 PM »
We simply cannot grow our way out of a problem whose root cause is growth It defies reason that anyone would suggest this. You cannot look at any macroscopic metric and not find evidence of growth in the form of exponential trends.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 316
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #601 on: September 04, 2019, 01:13:38 AM »
I don't believe that Jack Ma has ever claimed to be a humanitarian. Fearing a population decline might be rational if your sole goal is to sell more stuff. George Carlin had a few good riffs on "more stuff".
Those seeking a better, sustainable future for mankind seem almost united in calling for a future without population growth.

I stroked the "almost" as I removed Das Elon from the list of those that even go through the motions.
Terry

dnem

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #602 on: September 04, 2019, 05:30:39 PM »
The goal of Bezos and Ma, Amazon and Ali Baba, is to remove all friction from the consumption process.  They desire a world where more products can get into the hands of more consumers, as quickly and easily as possible. It is essentially the diametric opposite of what the world needs: slow, artisanal, localized production of products that are useful, valuable, sustainable and bring meaning to the maker and the user. Globalized, low cost, mass production and true sustainability are mutually exclusive.

Tom_Mazanec

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 262
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #603 on: September 07, 2019, 12:09:42 AM »
Bernie Sanders in climate change 'population control' uproar
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49601678
"The answer has everything to do with the fact that women in the United States of America, by the way, have a right to control their own bodies, and make reproductive decisions.

"The Mexico City Agreement which denies American aid to those organisations around the world that allow women to have abortions or even get involved in birth control to me is totally absurd.

"So I think, especially in poor countries around the world where women do not necessarily want to have large numbers of babies, and where they can have the opportunity through birth control to control the number of kids they have, is something I very, very strongly support."
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

wdmn

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #604 on: September 07, 2019, 12:17:26 AM »
Bernie knows what's up

Tom_Mazanec

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #605 on: September 11, 2019, 09:55:19 PM »
The World and the UN Must Reduce Population Growth
https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/new-sdg-dampen-population-growth-by-frank-gotmark-and-robin-maynard-2019-09
On September 24-25, world leaders will gather at the United Nations in New York to review progress toward the UN’s 2030 Agenda and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals. The SDGs, which aim “to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all,” are commendable, and summarize the kind of world many of us wish to see in 2030. But if this vision is to have any chance of materializing, governments must now add an 18th goal: “Dampen population growth.”
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Tom_Mazanec

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #606 on: September 18, 2019, 06:49:05 PM »
For many reporters covering climate, population remains the elephant in the room
https://www.cjr.org/covering_climate_now/population-climate-crisis.php
If any article is only talking about flying less, or eating less meat, “it’s borderline dangerous and misleading,” Erica Gies, an independent journalist who has written about population and her personal decision not to have children, says. “Or the writer is ill-informed, doesn’t want to look at the reality, or open themselves up to the personal attack that is writing about it.”

If not having another child saves more than 20 times more carbon per year, why aren’t more journalists talking about human population in proportion to the climate impact that it can have?

Tom_Mazanec

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #607 on: September 21, 2019, 01:27:28 AM »
Teens pledge to stop having babies over climate change
https://nypost.com/2019/09/19/teens-pledge-to-stop-having-babies-over-climate-change/
As a result, Lim started a website where people can pledge to abstain from having children until “the government can ensure a safe future for them.” The site has garnered almost 1,000 pledges as of Thursday morning.

“It breaks my heart, but I created this pledge because I know I am not alone,” Lim writes on the site. “I am not the only young person giving up lifelong dreams because they are unsure of what the future will hold. We’ve read the science, and now we’re pleading with our government.”

Her fellow pledges echoed her sentiment with one environmental abstainer from Germany saying “I see it as irresponsible to bring children into such dangers.”