Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Yet another horribly confused news story  (Read 4707 times)

Nightvid Cole

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0

Peter Ellis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 14
Re: Yet another horribly confused news story
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 07:32:12 PM »
What's confused about it?

Dromicosuchus

• New ice
  • Biophilia
    • View Profile
    • The Songs of Dejerara
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 10:46:37 PM »
...It honestly seems pretty on top of things, to me.  Melt ponds themselves aren't unusual phenomena, even if ponding in recent years has been more widespread than in the past (I don't actually know if that's the case, by the by; I'm just saying that the observation of a melt pond at a high latitude in midsummer is, in and of itself, not terribly alarming.  There are, of course, plenty of other legitimate reasons to be mostmuch concerned), and as far as I understand they're right enough about the buoy drift.

Nightvid Cole

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 11:07:03 PM »
What's confused about it?

Well, it begins by suggesting that the fact that the pond was not actually at the N. Pole is what indicates that the event is not without precedent, even if this is not explicitly stated...

Jim

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 12:49:47 PM »
Hi, just sticking my oar in :-)
I think some of the confusion about the recording of this event, is that the NPEO website reported that the buoys were installed at Ice Station Barneo "approximately 25 miles from the North Pole" in April. It seems that these are not seabed-tethered buoys, but free floating. The same website links to the current position of the buoys, where the position today is "84.721°N   3.111°W" - some considerable distance from their original siting.