Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What's new in the Arctic ?  (Read 294945 times)

blumenkraft

Re: What's new in the Arctic ?
« Reply #450 on: December 17, 2019, 01:35:46 PM »
Earth's Magnetic Field is Changing Too Much - Should We Worry?

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #451 on: December 17, 2019, 03:32:29 PM »
I'm hoping the magnetic poles reverse.
Why?

Because it would be fun.
IIRC, you would need the equivalent of weather forecasts to figure out where the poles will be in a week, and/or you could have three, four or more poles.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #452 on: December 17, 2019, 05:13:21 PM »
I wouldn't worry about that. We all know the BIG PROBLEMS.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

blumenkraft

« Reply #453 on: December 17, 2019, 05:20:37 PM »
IIRC, you would need the equivalent of weather forecasts to figure out where the poles will be in a week

Nah, the process is so slow, a glacier was called Speedy Gonzales by it once. ;)

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #454 on: December 17, 2019, 05:25:43 PM »
Re: next magnetic reversal
Call it "God's" solution to overpopulation and the 'consequent' climate chaos?  She (He or It, I cannot decide) has more tools up her sleeve than some of us thought!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

blumenkraft

« Reply #455 on: December 22, 2019, 04:36:03 PM »
Putin’s new Arctic law paves way for biggest ever industrialization in icy north

Offshore oil, liquified natural gas and the petrochemical industry will soon benefit from big tax cuts in new Arctic projects.

Link >> https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/industry-and-energy/2019/12/putins-new-arctic-law-paves-way-biggest-ever-industrialization-worlds

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #456 on: January 20, 2020, 12:10:20 PM »
Low sulphur fuel found to have higher black carbon emissions than HSFO

Mandated into law for less than three weeks and very low sulphur fuel oil (VLSFO), shipping’s new number one bunkering choice, is already facing calls to be banned, especially in Arctic waters.

A submission made by Finland and Germany to the International Maritime Organization (IMO) suggests VLSFO has higher black carbon emissions than its forebear, high sulphur fuel oil (HSFO).

“New hybrid fuels with 0.50% sulphur content used in the study contained a high proportion of aromatic compounds in a range of 70% to 95%, which resulted in increased [black carbon] emissions in a range of 10% to 85% compared to HFO,” the study claimed. The higher emissions were most noticeable when the engine was running at less than full capacity.

The black carbon news has quickly seen a number of NGOs call for VLSFO found to have high aromatic contents to be banned for ships transiting Artic waters.

https://splash247.com/low-sulphur-fuel-found-to-have-higher-black-carbon-emissions-than-hsfo/
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

dnem

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 319
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #457 on: January 22, 2020, 05:51:55 PM »
Ok, here's a very random observation.  I have a solar array on my house and was just playing around with some of my output data.  The array has been in place since 2011.  I just noticed that the first four months of 2012 are all the highest output for that month in the 9 year record. That is, January 2012 output was the highest of any of 9 Januaries since I had the array, February was the highest February, March was the highest March, and April was the highest April.  And the difference is not even close.  Here at 39.29° N, 76.61° W winter/early spring 2012 was VERY, unusually sunny.  Probably nothing, but struck me as interesting, given what happened in 2012!

Glen Koehler

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 738
  • Likes Given: 1413
« Reply #458 on: January 23, 2020, 03:02:22 AM »
Probably nothing, but struck me as interesting, given what happened in 2012!
Possibly related observation about 2012 -

By filtering out long-term CO2 driven trend, ENSO (El Nino), Solar cycle, and Aerosol values, it is possible to remove a large portion of the year to year variation in annual average NASA GISS temperature for every one of the past 11 years except for 2012.  But the "model" fails miserably for predicting the difference between 2012 and 2011.  The only other year with a negative correlation between the model estimate and observed value also involves 2012 - the difference between 2013 and 2012. 

So for reasons unknown to me (BTW - I'm not a climate scientist, just another ASIF onlooker hanging around the scene of the crime), 2012 was an oddball year with respect to a robust pattern that applies quite strongly to every other of the 11 years in 2009-2019.

Of course, for the Arctic Ocean we have the great Arctic Cyclone of August 2012 to explain why Extent tanked that year.  Worth noting that
   a) the ASI low Volume record set in 2012 is much less extreme than the Extent record, and
   b) Extent and Volume recovered rather quickly. 

Thus it seems that while 2012 remains an epic event in recent ASI history, it was largely a short-term disturbance that brought submerged heat to the surface and created a drastic but short-lived effect on Extent.  That loss of heat energy led to a pseudo-recovery over the following years.

In comparison, while 2019 did not break the 2012 record, it shows a broader impact of continued warming in the condition of the remaining ice that is thinner, saltier, and less resistant to melt; has lost virtually all of the thickest multi-year "anchor" ice; and reflects a system that has been functionally altered (e.g. loss of Beaufort Gyre nursery). 

While some idiot with bad hair might claim that "Hey, there's more September Arctic sea ice now than there was 7 years ago, what's the problem?", the situation is actually much more dire than a simple accounting of Extent or Area, or even the more informative Thickness and Volume, indicate.  The ASI is like a termite-riddled wooden beam.  The surface appearance does not fully indicate the structural weakness within. 

I suspect that the next Arctic Cyclone with similar storm energy as the 2012 event will cause even more dramatic damage than 2012 because it will be interacting with a thinner and more fractured ice pack, will have longer wind fetch for wave generation from more open water, and have much higher levels of submerged heat energy to bring up.  In addition to all that, the probability of a storm as strong or stronger than 2012 increases with the continued warming of Arctic ocean water, more frequent and intense incursions of warm air masses, increasing Arctic humidity, weakening of the polar jet, Atlantification etc. 

All amateur speculation of course, by someone who knows just enough to be emphatically wrong, but hey my GISS model works (except for 2012)!

PS Lest you think I exaggerate the potential correlation between bad hair and stupidity, one such person recently tweeted that New York City should get ready with mops and buckets instead of considering an expensive public works infrastructure project to reduce risk from rising sea level.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:00:35 PM by Glen Koehler »
“What is at stake.... Everything, I would say." ~ Julienne Stroeve

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 878
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #459 on: January 23, 2020, 06:52:05 AM »
Ok, here's a very random observation.  I have a solar array on my house and was just playing around with some of my output data.  The array has been in place since 2011.  I just noticed that the first four months of 2012 are all the highest output for that month in the 9 year record. That is, January 2012 output was the highest of any of 9 Januaries since I had the array, February was the highest February, March was the highest March, and April was the highest April.  And the difference is not even close.  Here at 39.29° N, 76.61° W winter/early spring 2012 was VERY, unusually sunny.  Probably nothing, but struck me as interesting, given what happened in 2012!
I'd be careful to assume that the amount of solar energy available was the cause here. Solar arrays do degrade with time, and they do become dirty. So unless proven wrong, I'd assume that this is what you are seeing - solar cell degradation, not fall in solar energy.
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 923
  • Likes Given: 225
« Reply #460 on: January 23, 2020, 07:37:39 AM »
Solar cell degradation is much slower than that, something like 1% per year. But it is possible that they got dirty (lots of dust around maybe?) Do you clean your cells regularly? Dirt could explain it

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 23, 2020, 07:56:33 AM »
Solar cell degradation is much slower than that, something like 1% per year. But it is possible that they got dirty (lots of dust around maybe?) Do you clean your cells regularly? Dirt could explain it

Well, reading what people write is an important but all-too-often ignored capability. This time it was me that didn't bother to read the full post from dnem, but he clearly says that there was a big difference (hence degradation is out) and that  differences in cloud cover were clearly the cause.

On the other hand, given the location in down-town Baltimore, dust would presumably also be a big factor, but easy to fix.
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true

dnem

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 23, 2020, 12:36:43 PM »
No, Bintho, I'm pretty good with data and look closely at my output.  I have microinverters so I can look at per panel output in 5 minute increments.  One way I look at degradation is to look at peak panel production and I have noticed very little degradation at all.  I'll post how big this outlier was when I get a chance, but it was big.  It was VERY sunny (not very cloudy!) in Bawlmer in winter/spring 2012.  Sunny enough that I think it says something real about the winter storm track, prevailing winds and weather pattern during that time.

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 23, 2020, 01:31:56 PM »
No, Bintho, I'm pretty good with data and look closely at my output.  I have microinverters so I can look at per panel output in 5 minute increments.  One way I look at degradation is to look at peak panel production and I have noticed very little degradation at all.  I'll post how big this outlier was when I get a chance, but it was big.  It was VERY sunny (not very cloudy!) in Bawlmer in winter/spring 2012.  Sunny enough that I think it says something real about the winter storm track, prevailing winds and weather pattern during that time.
Well, yes, degradation is probably less than 1% per year. And when it is VERY sunny, changes in cloud cover would be presumably be the direct cause! What the ultimate cause may be I leave to others to ponder.

dnem

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 23, 2020, 05:23:33 PM »
Sorry to clutter this thread with this stuff, but thought some that responded might find it interesting. When I got my system, the installer provided a monthly predicted output based on the orientation, angle and potential for shading of my system.  I used that to standardize the data, with monthly output expressed as a percentage of the predicted value for that month.  First I just averaged each year's monthly Actual/Predicted to look at degradation. A linear regression through the values indicates a decay of 0.29% year.

Then I plotted every month as a percentage of that month's prediction for all years 2011 through 2018.  Early 2012 stands out as a long period of high output, sunny weather.

I had some system issues in 2018 that make the second half of the year's data suspect.

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 28, 2020, 09:11:20 AM »
Interesting article on the effects that the changes in Arctic sea ice cover may be having on tropical weather systems.

Turns out that even if El Ninos do not effect the sea ice, less sea ice may effect the specific location of El Ninos which again has a domino effect on other weather patterns.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/26012020/arctic-sea-ice-melting-tropical-weather-el-nino-climate-change
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 05:18:52 AM by binntho »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 28, 2020, 01:33:16 PM »
Please edit links down to their normal format:
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/26012020/arctic-sea-ice-melting-tropical-weather-el-nino-climate-change

All the rest is fb tracking crap.

ETA interesting indeed. Including how it possibly feeds back on the Bering sea ice.

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/01/21/1717707117
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #467 on: January 28, 2020, 02:30:24 PM »
last:
So you delete back to and including the question mark?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 28, 2020, 02:38:14 PM »
Yes , the questionmark signals the trackers start.

blumenkraft

« Reply #469 on: January 28, 2020, 02:58:19 PM »
Typical URL containing a query string is as follows:

http://example.com/over/there?name=ferret

When a server receives a request for such a page, it may run a program, passing the query string, which in this case is, name=ferret unchanged, to the program. The question mark is used as a separator, and is not part of the query string.

Meaning, everything after the question mark can easily be dismissed, can contain tracking code.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #470 on: January 28, 2020, 03:58:17 PM »
Interesting article on the effects that the changes in Arctic sea ice cover may be having on tropical weather systems.

Turns out that even if El Ninos do not effect the sea ice, less sea ice may effect the specific location of El Ninos which again has a domino effect on other weather patterns.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/26012020/arctic-sea-ice-melting-tropical-weather-el-nino-climate-change?fbclid=IwAR0KN0oBsTrcQexueQkPcGt6yoLahuwv1YVrMTCB8eXqgtLgGCgLVVvbiKc

Thanks for the link. Well worth the read.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #471 on: January 28, 2020, 06:06:14 PM »
Artificial Intelligence Helps Experts Forecast Icebergs
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/artificial-intelligence-helps-experts-forecast-icebergs-climate-atlantic-study-geography-1.879632

A recently published control systems model has been used to predict that between 479 and 1,015 icebergs will reach waters south of 48°N—the area of greatest risk to shipping traveling between Europe and north-east North America—in 2020, compared with 1,515 observed there last year.

In an innovative new model approach, the team have used experimental artificial intelligence analysis to independently support the low iceberg number prediction while also predicting a rapid early rise in the number of icebergs in this area during the ice season of January to September.

The findings are supplied to the International Ice Patrol (IIP) to inform resource use for better regular ice forecasts during the season. The seasonal forecast suggests that the probability of an iceberg encounter for ships in the north-west Atlantic will be less than it was last year.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 28, 2020, 09:49:10 PM »
Please edit links down to their normal format:
My bad, being lazy and quite likely pre-senile as well. But I'll strive for improvement!

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 28, 2020, 10:10:21 PM »
You should still be able to edit the post.  ;)

blumenkraft

« Reply #474 on: February 09, 2020, 06:06:02 PM »
EARTHQUAKE

M 5.0 - 228km E of Nord Greenland

Time     2020-02-09 13:32:53 (UTC)
Location 81.246°N 4.301°W
Depth    10.0 km

blumenkraft

« Reply #475 on: February 19, 2020, 05:22:25 PM »
Another one.

M 4.5 - 210km WSW of Longyearbyen, Svalbard and Jan Mayen

Time
2020-02-19 09:38:24 (UTC)
Depth
10.0 km

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 24, 2020, 06:42:42 AM »
Interesting article published by the Scripps institute about methane in permafrost.

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/news/climate-destabilization-unlikely-cause-methane-burp

“Anthropogenic methane emissions currently are larger than wetland emissions by a factor of about two, and our data show that we don’t need to be as concerned about large methane releases from old carbon reservoirs in response to future warming,” said Petrenko.  “Instead we should be more concerned about the methane that is being released from human activities now.”

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 25, 2020, 08:01:15 PM »
Researchers find new reason Arctic is warming so fast

The Arctic has experienced the warming effects of global climate change faster than any other region on the planet. Scientists at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography have developed a new theory aided by computer simulations and observations that helps explain why this occurs.

A team led by Scripps researcher Emma Beer observed the changes taking place in the Arctic Ocean, which is largely covered by sea ice for most of the year. There, an unusual situation exists where the water is warm at depth and cold near the surface. The deeper waters are fed by the relatively warm Pacific and Atlantic oceans, whereas the near-surface waters are in contact with sea ice and remain close to the freezing point. Heat flows upward from the warmer water to the colder water.

The scientists found that the deeper water is getting still warmer as a result of climate change, but the near-surface water below the sea ice remains close to the freezing point. The increasing difference in temperature leads to a greater upward flow of heat. Beer, Scripps climate scientist Ian Eisenman, and researcher Till Wagner of the University of North Carolina estimate that this phenomenon is responsible for about 20% of the amplification of global warming that occurs in the Arctic.

"While previous work has found mechanisms related to the surface and the atmosphere that cause Arctic amplification, our finding is that there is also a fundamental reason why the ocean causes polar amplification when the polar region is covered with sea ice," Eisenman said of the National Science Foundation-supported study. The results are published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

https://phys.org/news/2020-02-arctic-fast.html

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #478 on: February 25, 2020, 08:51:40 PM »
I've 'always' wondered if there was any heat transfer across the halocline and pycnocline.  That research suggests, "Yes!"
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 26, 2020, 01:29:07 PM »
I always figured there should be some but how much and is it relevant compared to other processes are the more complicated questions.

The article is paywalled so if anyone with access could quote a bit with the numbers/timescales in the article that would be great. TIA.

paolo

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 493
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #480 on: March 03, 2020, 04:13:38 PM »
New earthquake between Greenland and Svalbard

blumenkraft

« Reply #481 on: March 03, 2020, 04:17:31 PM »
Hmm, what's going on down there?  ???

FrostKing70

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #482 on: March 03, 2020, 09:11:46 PM »
Interesting article on the heat trapped in the deeper water.  Does anyone know of any research or theory about how far this can go until the warmer water "flips" with the cold and rises to the surface?  It feels like the system has to reach a point where it becomes unstable and the warmer water comes to the top.

Glen Koehler

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 04, 2020, 04:23:11 AM »
  Does anyone know of any research or theory about how far this can go until the warmer water "flips" with the cold and rises to the surface?  It feels like the system has to reach a point where it becomes unstable and the warmer water comes to the top.

Not an answer to your question, but in addition to the heat flow issue, declining ice cover and exposure of surface water to wind could play a significant role.  I can't remember source, but recent article discussed increased Ekman pumping from increased surface winds in the Arctic.

Elsewhere -
"Sea ice regulates exchanges of heat, moisture and salinity in the polar oceans."
https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/sotc/sea_ice.html
  - a good review by NSIDC, last updated: 11 October 2019.

------

Another recent good overview:
In-depth: Understanding the impacts of changing Arctic storms
DAISY DUNNE  13.01.2020
https://www.carbonbrief.org/in-depth-understanding-the-impacts-of-changing-arctic-storms

“There is some suggestion that Arctic cyclones may be more frequent now, but the problem is we don’t have a whole lot of measurements from before. Maybe the previous lower frequency we’ve observed is due to the fact that our models, or our reconstructions of the past, aren’t complete enough.”

---------

But don't expect another 2012 Great Arctic Cyclone anytime soon.  Apparently it was truly an outlier event.  Compared to all storms on record at time of publication (1979–2012):

" Even though, climatologically, summer is a ‘quiet’ time in the Arctic, when compared with all Arctic storms across the period it came in as the 13th most extreme storm, warranting the
attribution of ‘Great’.  "

" Using our multiple-index approach (based on cyclone properties and longevity) we conclude that AS12 was the most extreme August Arctic  cyclone (out of a population of 1618). When all Arctic cyclones were considered (which included the more vigorous winter systems) AS12 ranked in position 13 out of a compilation of 19625 storms. This storm truly deserves the title of ‘The Great Arctic Cyclone of August 2012’. "

Source:  The great Arctic cyclone of August 2012.  Ian Simmonds and Irina Rudeva
GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS, VOL. 39, L23709, doi:10.1029/2012GL054259, 2012

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 04:43:00 AM by Glen Koehler »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 04, 2020, 02:45:15 PM »
There is a reason why we have multiple layers of water. The deep water is warmer and saltier and is flowing into the Arctic while the ice and fresher water on top come from local rivers. It ´floats´on the deeper water because it is lighter.

When the ice melts storms can mix them (see above).

We have more and more open water for longer which increases that possibility.

blumenkraft

« Reply #485 on: March 05, 2020, 10:33:42 AM »
Over warming Barents Sea comes a cool wave

Data from the past five years show that the Barents waters have became colder and more icy.

Link >> https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/arctic-ecology/2020/03/over-warming-barents-sea-comes-brief-cool-wave

blumenkraft

« Reply #486 on: March 10, 2020, 11:38:36 AM »
Levels of Law
Understanding the complexity of the European Union’s legal Arctic presence.

Link >> https://www.thearcticinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/TAI-Infographic-EU-Arctic.pdf

paolo

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 12, 2020, 05:39:38 AM »
 Another earthquake in the greenland sea  :o

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 23, 2020, 12:14:49 AM »
Hidden source of carbon found at the Arctic coast

Summary:
A new study has shown evidence of undetected concentrations and flows of dissolved organic matter entering Arctic coastal waters coming from groundwater flows on top of frozen permafrost. This water moves from land to sea unseen, but researchers now believe it carries significant concentrations of carbon and other nutrients to Arctic coastal food webs.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200321093204.htm

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-15250-8

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 29, 2020, 01:16:52 PM »
Seafloor of Fram Strait is a sink for microplastic from Arctic and North Atlantic Ocean

Working in the Arctic Fram Strait, scientists from the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research (AWI) have found microplastic throughout the water column with particularly high concentrations at the ocean floor. Using model-based simulations, they have also found an explanation for this high level of pollution. According to their findings, the two main ocean currents in Fram Strait transport the microscopically small plastic particles into the region between Greenland and Spitsbergen from both the Arctic and the North Atlantic. While passing through the Strait, many particles eventually drift to the seafloor, where they accumulate. The experts report on this phenomenon in a study just released in the journal Environmental Science & Technology.

"We found the highest concentration of microplastic particles in water at our northernmost sampling spot near the sea-ice edge," reports AWI biologist and first author Mine Tekman. In the area technically referred to as the marginal ice zone, one cubic metre of surface water contained more than 1,200 microplastic particles, though this hardly came as a surprise to the researchers. "From previous studies we knew that the Arctic sea ice can contain as much as 12,000 microplastic particles per litre of meltwater. When this ice reaches the end of its journey and melts in the northern Fram Strait, it most likely releases its microplastic load into the sea, which would explain the high concentration in the surface waters," she adds.

In contrast, the level of pollution was 16,000 times higher in sediments at the bottom of Fram Strait. The analysis of sediment samples with a Fourier-transform infrared spectrometer (FTIR) revealed up to 13,000 microplastic particles per kilogramme of sediment. "This large quantity of particles and the various types of plastic we found in the sediment confirm that microplastic is continually accumulating on the seafloor of Fram Strait. In other words, the deep sea in this region is a sink for microscopically small plastic particles," says AWI deep-sea expert and co-author Dr Melanie Bergmann.

It should also be mentioned that more than half of all plastic particles identified were smaller than 25 micrometres in diameter, roughly half the thickness of a fine human hair. "This high percentage of truly minute particles is of course troubling, as it immediately raises the question of how marine organisms respond to these minuscule bits of plastic waste," says Melanie Bergmann. To answer this question, British colleagues are currently investigating whether the crustaceans in the AWI's Arctic zooplankton samples have consumed any plastic.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200327141517.htm

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 07, 2020, 03:24:52 PM »
The Arctic Ocean May Not Be a Reliable Carbon Sink

The rapid changes happening in the Arctic Ocean, including increasing freshwater input, could dramatically affect its ability to store carbon.

Historically, scientists have believed that the Arctic Ocean will be an important carbon sink in the coming years—ice melt will increase the surface area that’s exposed to the air, facilitating carbon uptake from the atmosphere, and cold Arctic waters can store more carbon dioxide (CO2) than warmer waters.

Or at least that’s what was supposed to happen. But scientists have begun to suspect that this might not be the case, and new research suggests that the Arctic Ocean is, in fact, not as reliable a carbon sink as we thought. Using data from three research cruises (in 1994, 2005, and 2015), scientists were able to chart how the physical properties of the Arctic Ocean (including total alkalinity, temperature, and dissolved inorganic carbon) changed over time.

They found that over the course of the past 20 years, although the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has gone up, the amount of dissolved inorganic carbon in Arctic waters has unexpectedly decreased.

That’s because reduced sea ice isn’t the only major change that’s happening in the Arctic Ocean.

“There’s actually been a huge increase of fresh water into the Arctic Ocean,” said Ryan Woosley, a marine physical chemist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and lead author of the study. “The Arctic is kind of unique compared to the other oceans because there’s a huge amount of river input compared to the size of the ocean…and fresh water has a very low alkalinity or buffering capacity, so this has reduced the ability of the Arctic Ocean to take up CO2.”

https://eos.org/articles/the-arctic-ocean-may-not-be-a-reliable-carbon-sink

Freshening of the western Arctic negates anthropogenic carbon uptake potential (OA)

https://aslopubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/lno.11421

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #491 on: April 12, 2020, 10:04:55 AM »
Coronavirus Puts Arctic Climate Change Research On Ice
https://amp.dw.com/en/coronavirus-puts-arctic-climate-change-research-on-ice/a-53061086

Coronavirus lockdowns have been touted on social media as helping to fight climate change. But in the Arctic Circle the virus is disrupting climate science. It could leave important gaps in our understanding.

... The fallout from measures to contain the outbreak have made the research impossible. Greenland is closed to foreigners. Its government is worried any outbreak could be particularly dangerous to its indigenous population and rapidly overwhelm its health services.

Even if the country were open, it just isn't practical to bring an international team of scientists together, 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers) away from the nearest airport, in case one of them is sick. The transport planes that normally fly in the teams and resupply them have also been grounded. Nobody wants to be responsible for bringing small, isolated communities into contact with the virus.

... When the team returns next year, it's data and understanding they will have lost. Another year of snow will have buried trenches and covered equipment, meaning they will spend more time repairing and replacing buildings and hardware.

"In the worst-case scenario there will be a 12-month gap," he says. "Some of that data can be filled in with satellites and remote sensing, other parts are unique and will be lost." ...
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

paolo

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 13, 2020, 11:06:12 AM »
New earthquake in the Arctic:

M 4.3 - East of Severnaya Zemlya
2020-04-12 11:57:09 (UTC)
78.956°N 123.911°E
10.0 km depth

I attach its location as well as, to put it in context, the history of the past year and the history of the other hot zone (with respect to earthquakes) in the Arctic.
In this second historical record, the most recent tremor, marked in white, is from 2020-04-05 (M 4.2).

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 19, 2020, 01:05:23 PM »
'Hidden' water in the ocean could be key to understanding how creatures feed

Scottish scientists working with marine robots have measured previously hidden patches of water between the Arctic and Atlantic oceans that could dramatically alter the understanding of how the ocean’s food web forms.

Created in the northern part of the Barents Sea, as cooler and fresher water from the Arctic moves south and becomes trapped within the warmer and saltier water from the Atlantic, these eddies - circular movements of water that have broken off from an ocean current - measure roughly 18.6 miles across.

Despite their size, the eddies are invisible to satellites and had gone unnoticed until oceanographers from the Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS), in Oban, picked up some unusual readings during a trial mission of an underwater glider.

The autonomous glider moves across the ocean to depths of 200 metres collecting data, including heat and salinity, every kilometre. This allowed the SAMS team to measure one of these eddies in detail.

While this particular eddy’s surface temperature was similar to the surrounding water, masking it from satellites, its lower salt content made it stand out in the glider readings.

She said: “We get a pretty good idea about what’s happening on the very surface of our ocean through satellites but eddies like this one have been hidden from view because they have warmed at the surface since leaving the Arctic.

“This temperature masking means we have previously underestimated how much water moves within these patches in the Arctic Seas. It begs the question: how many more of these hidden eddies are occurring in the ocean today?”

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18386098.hidden-water-ocean-key-understanding-creatures-feed/

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2163
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #494 on: April 30, 2020, 11:42:58 AM »
drift and noise  SVALNAV

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: May 02, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »
Not really new but for those with an interest in the AMOC:

Seafloor Discovery Shows The Ocean's Undergoing a Change Not Seen in 10,000 Years

Changes in ocean circulation may have caused a shift in Atlantic Ocean ecosystems not seen for the past 10,000 years, new analysis of deep-sea fossils has revealed.

Glen Koehler

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 09, 2020, 01:51:58 AM »
Tschudi, M. A., Meier, W. N., and Stewart, J. S.: An enhancement to sea ice motion and age products at the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC), The Cryosphere, 14, 1519–1536, https://doi.org/10.5194/tc-14-1519-2020, 2020.
https://www.the-cryosphere.net/14/1519/2020/

"...Overall, ice speed increased in Version 4 over Version 3 by 0.5 to 2.0 cm s−1 over most of the time series. Version 4 shows a higher positive trend for the Arctic of 0.21 cm s−1 per decade compared to 0.13 cm s−1 per decade for Version 3 (ed. note:  Thus the new estimate of acceleration in sea ice motion is about 10% per decade).

The new version of ice age estimates indicates more older ice than Version 3, especially earlier in the record, but similar trends toward less multiyear ice.

Changes in sea ice motion and age derived from the product show a significant shift in the Arctic ice cover, from a pack with a high concentration of older ice to a sea ice cover dominated by first-year ice, which is more susceptible to summer melt. We also observe an increase in the speed of the ice over the time series ≥ 30 years, which has been shown in other studies and is anticipated with the annual decrease in sea ice extent.

Glen Koehler

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 09, 2020, 01:53:44 AM »

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 25, 2020, 01:04:14 PM »
Those pesky rodents get everywhere! Interesting article on glacier mice.

blumenkraft

« Reply #499 on: June 03, 2020, 07:10:21 PM »
State of emergency in Norilsk after 20,000 tons of diesel leaks into Arctic river system

Link >> https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/state-of-emergency-in-norilsk-after-20000-tons-of-diesel-leaks-into-arctic-river-system/