Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Nature launches free read–only experiment  (Read 4353 times)

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Nature launches free read–only experiment
« on: December 02, 2014, 08:17:11 PM »
Has anybody on this forum a subscription to any of their journals?

Nature publisher hopes to end 'dark sharing' by making read-only papers free
[]

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: Nature launches free read–only experiment
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 10:40:18 PM »
Has anybody on this forum a subscription to any of their journals?

Nature publisher hopes to end 'dark sharing' by making read-only papers free

Dark Sharing?  that sounds either star wars(esq) :-[ or kinky. . . :-[

Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 11:35:51 AM »
Open other end.

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 11:38:56 AM »
Open other end.

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:38:49 PM »
Thx, icefest!

I got the Deep Ocean thing going in Read Cube. However, it seems it won't share with me anything but the first page, 1031? The rest are hopelessly out of focus (like our corporate rulers).
[]

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 02:16:54 AM »
Thx, icefest!

I got the Deep Ocean thing going in Read Cube. However, it seems it won't share with me anything but the first page, 1031? The rest are hopelessly out of focus (like our corporate rulers).

Waiting a couple of seconds (for it to buffer) works for me, even when not logged in.
Open other end.

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 944
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 04:14:36 PM »
That link opened all the pages at ReadCube for me, at least in Chrome. I must say, their description is super-confusing: who gets to pass out these magic links that blow past the ReadCube blur barrier -- a subscriber to one of the 49 can disseminate all 49 or just that one? Is the url tricked-out so it is associated somehow as coming from an approved subscriber?

Authors already have a right (indeed a duty under NIH and Wellcome grant rules) to provide a copy and some do, most conveniently at ResearchGate.

Enable 100+ media outlets and blogs to link to a read-only version of full text-subscription articles
This makes sense from their perspective -- tons more visits to their sites. Perhaps Neven could write them and get the blog and forums what they call whitelisted. Are they then blocking access to the paper url unless it comes from an approved site?

ReadCube itself has been in flux lately. For a time, they allowed a free 5' preview  to registrants before blurring, one per day. That has disappeared because people could take screenshots and ocr. They've now bumped the minimal per article viewing to $6, too high for regular use.

Meanwhile, nature.com does not cover the ground in terms of climate change articles. Every day, policies in the journal sphere get more bizarre. Some AGU journals are now providing full size figures and captions, sometimes first pages and end citations but on the whole, professional societies are among the very worst hoarders.

It all leaks out in the end -- makes no sense to combat entropy, it only increases.