Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Economic Inequality  (Read 71502 times)

John Palmer.

Re: Economic Inequality
« Reply #700 on: January 01, 2021, 02:54:52 AM »
Had fun with this article that nominates Elon Musk for Grifter of the Year among others.

Spoiler, Bezos wins.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2020/12/presenting-the-2020-griftie-awards

nadir

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #701 on: January 26, 2021, 08:31:09 PM »
It’s not a problem of Left or Right. it’s a problem of Up and Down

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
  • Earth will survive AGW...but will Homo sapiens?
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 631
  • Likes Given: 609
« Reply #702 on: January 28, 2021, 03:32:10 PM »
The Coming Revolt of the Middle Class
https://www.oftwominds.com/blogjan21/middle-class-revolt1-21.html
That's how Neofeudal systems collapse: the tax donkeys and debt-serfs finally rebel and start demanding the $50 trillion river of capital take a new course.
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

The Walrus

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #703 on: January 28, 2021, 09:28:15 PM »

Get ready for another round of inflation.

vox_mundi

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2633
  • Likes Given: 398
« Reply #704 on: February 14, 2021, 03:51:54 PM »
In Nevada Desert, a Technology Firm Aims to Be a Government
https://techxplore.com/news/2021-02-nevada-technology-firm-aims.html

In the Nevada desert, a cryptocurrency magnate hopes to turn dreams of a futuristic "smart city" into reality. To do that, he's asking the state to let companies like his form local governments on land they own, which would grant them power over everything from schools to law enforcement.

... He wants Nevada to change its laws to allow "innovation zones," where companies would have powers like those of a county government, including creating court systems, imposing taxes and building infrastructure while making land and water management decisions.

The draft legislation has been reviewed by some lawmakers behind closed doors last week.

Gov. Steve Sisolak, whose campaign and affiliated political action committee received a combined $60,000 from the company, said the proposal would transform Nevada into "the epicenter of this emerging industry and create the high-paying jobs and revenue that go with it."

If lawmakers back the proposal, technology companies with 50,000 acres of land (200 square kilometers) that promise a $1 billion investment could create zones governed by three people like county commissioners. The draft legislation says two of them initially would be from the company itself.

... "(The bill) wants the host county to let it form, become successful, not pay them very much money, and eventually let them take over the whole county and all the operations, if it becomes successful," Gilman said. "If it doesn't become successful, who becomes responsible for all the stuff that was built in the meantime?"

... Privatize the profit; socialize the cost
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Rodius

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #705 on: February 16, 2021, 07:15:19 AM »

Countries with high minimum wages don't have any more or less problems with inflation. This is yet another myth that is easy to dispense with.

The Walrus

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #706 on: February 16, 2021, 10:13:38 PM »

Countries with high minimum wages don't have any more or less problems with inflation. This is yet another myth that is easy to dispense with.

That is irrelevant to the current conversation, and just misinformation to confuse the reader.

LeftyLarry

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #707 on: February 16, 2021, 10:33:36 PM »

It’s not about inflation, it’s about jobs.
If it becomes cheaper to manufacture in a country with a much lower Minimum wage, that’s where the jobs go, if it becomes cheaper to have robot cashiers / self checkout instead of humans that’s what happens.

I’m not against a higher minimum wage but I am then against more illegal immigration as they will all have to go on welfare,  they won’t be working at MacDonald’s for $15/ hr.
you want open borders, as the leftists do?
Then you can’t have a generous Welfare and safety net system in place also, that is an either/ or situation.
Same deal with high minimum wage , there will be less jobs , so you can’t keep importing cheap Labor to compete for the less jobs.

Rodius

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #708 on: February 18, 2021, 04:54:47 AM »

If it becomes cheaper to manufacture in a country with a much lower Minimum wage, that’s where the jobs go, if it becomes cheaper to have robot cashiers / self checkout instead of humans that’s what happens.

I’m not against a higher minimum wage but I am then against more illegal immigration as they will all have to go on welfare,  they won’t be working at MacDonald’s for $15/ hr.
Then you can’t have a generous Welfare and safety net system in place also, that is an either/ or situation.
Same deal with high minimum wage , there will be less jobs , so you can’t keep importing cheap Labor to compete for the less jobs.

So, you are really just wanting to keep immigrants out at the expense of those who work for low incomes.....

The US was a huge motivating factor for globalization back in the 1980s and earlier.
What they wanted was cheap stuff made with cheap wages.
What I found interesting was that they seemed to neglect the idea that capitalists always try to cut costs to provide cheaper product..... moving employment overseas was always going to happen because.... well, less wages, less conditions of work, poorer and cheaper working conditions and so on.
So, when companies did that, the work in the US dropped with it, as did the incomes they had to pay because less jobs means more unemployment means less income they need to pay.

Those capitalists really were onto a winner...... as for the workers of the world, well, not so much.

What will be interesting is when automation truly kicks in, and it is only just beginning.
Jobs most people would like to think are immune will disappear.... like middle management, truck drivers, lawyers, accountants, bookkeepers, doctors, and many, many more.

The old idea of there will always be jobs is wrong. The jobs will disappear along with the main thing capitalism needs to survive.... poor people who spend money.

What will happen is there will come a  point where working incomes will not be enough for the capitalistic model to continue, so in a last ditch effort to save a failed monetary system, the Govt will end up giving everyone a universal basic income to keep people spending.
This isn't an if, this is a when event.

As for the centric thinking of making things hard for people because of immigrants, legal or not, well, maybe the US should stop doing bullshit things to their neighbors that destroys their economies and forces people into desperation to a point where they need to leave their home country just to survive.... and I know people who live in the US tend to believe that everyone wants to live in the US.... that isn't true, almost everyone wants to live in the country they were born in. The US just isn't that important.... but they do have the idea of perceived wealth that many in poorer countries believe.... they find out they are wrong when they get there and they try to escape. Easier said than done.

As for what LEftists want... the US doesn't really have a left leaning party. And if you want my answer, I would love to see the end of international borders and have freedom of movement and a more equal distribution of wealth.
I know, it is shocking to think that everyone can have enough to have food, water and shelter without others missing out.
But hey, I don't subscribe to the bullshit notion of left and right politics, that is just politicians attempting to make it look like there are differences between parties.... when really, there isn't one, not really.

Anyway.... good to know you are okay with forcing people into hardship and making life difficult just to keep those nasty illegal immigrants out.

nadir

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 07, 2021, 12:55:33 PM »
Who woulda thunk like 20, even 10 years ago that this’d be satire over a Dem senator, not a GOP?

nadir

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 07, 2021, 02:07:56 PM »
The cynicism and callousness of this Dem Senator to post this, right after voting no to $15 min wage in the most grotesque and psychopathic way possible:

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 815
« Reply #711 on: March 15, 2021, 06:09:54 AM »
Go be poor somewhere else: Goodhue at Miami Herald

“The deal can’t close until the campsite is empty,”

"Since the residents aren’t being told to leave because of their inability to pay rent, they aren’t likely to be helped by the federal moratorium on evictions"

"elderly and have physical and mental health problems"

"anyone still on the property after Wednesday will be deemed to be “trespassing on private property and subject to removal under law.”  "

"They live off his Supplemental Security Income checks, which haven’t been enough to fix the damage done to their trailer by Hurricane Irma in September 2017 ... My trailer inside is completely full of mold"

"“There’s 20 families in here that are just so poor, and their trailers are so,” Barbara McDonald, 81, said, trying to find the right words. “I don’t know how they stand up.” "

"build a mixed-use residential/shopping complex with market rate rental apartments"

"last official communication with them on the matter was a Nov. 13, 2020, letter signed by Wallace in which he said the city still planned to sell the property. That letter, however, stated the city was giving residents “as much time as possible” to find other homes."

“My hands don’t work,”

"they were told when they moved there that the land’s original owners deeded the property over to Florida City before they died in the 1980s with the agreement that it would stay affordable housing for 100 years. "

“I have no idea what they are talking about,”

"it’s the only home she and her husband have known for years and the one they thought they’d live in for the rest of their lives. "

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article249890968.html

sidd

vox_mundi

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2633
  • Likes Given: 398
« Reply #712 on: March 15, 2021, 07:04:28 PM »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

LeftyLarry

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #713 on: March 16, 2021, 05:14:53 AM »

So, you are really just wanting to keep immigrants out at the expense of those who work for low incomes.....

The US was a huge motivating factor for globalization back in the 1980s and earlier.
What they wanted was cheap stuff made with cheap wages.
What I found interesting was that they seemed to neglect the idea that capitalists always try to cut costs to provide cheaper product..... moving employment overseas was always going to happen because.... well, less wages, less conditions of work, poorer and cheaper working conditions and so on.
So, when companies did that, the work in the US dropped with it, as did the incomes they had to pay because less jobs means more unemployment means less income they need to pay.

Those capitalists really were onto a winner...... as for the workers of the world, well, not so much.

What will be interesting is when automation truly kicks in, and it is only just beginning.
Jobs most people would like to think are immune will disappear.... like middle management, truck drivers, lawyers, accountants, bookkeepers, doctors, and many, many more.

The old idea of there will always be jobs is wrong. The jobs will disappear along with the main thing capitalism needs to survive.... poor people who spend money.

What will happen is there will come a  point where working incomes will not be enough for the capitalistic model to continue, so in a last ditch effort to save a failed monetary system, the Govt will end up giving everyone a universal basic income to keep people spending.
This isn't an if, this is a when event.

As for the centric thinking of making things hard for people because of immigrants, legal or not, well, maybe the US should stop doing bullshit things to their neighbors that destroys their economies and forces people into desperation to a point where they need to leave their home country just to survive.... and I know people who live in the US tend to believe that everyone wants to live in the US.... that isn't true, almost everyone wants to live in the country they were born in. The US just isn't that important.... but they do have the idea of perceived wealth that many in poorer countries believe.... they find out they are wrong when they get there and they try to escape. Easier said than done.

As for what LEftists want... the US doesn't really have a left leaning party. And if you want my answer, I would love to see the end of international borders and have freedom of movement and a more equal distribution of wealth.
I know, it is shocking to think that everyone can have enough to have food, water and shelter without others missing out.
But hey, I don't subscribe to the bullshit notion of left and right politics, that is just politicians attempting to make it look like there are differences between parties.... when really, there isn't one, not really.

Anyway.... good to know you are okay with forcing people into hardship and making life difficult just to keep those nasty illegal immigrants out.

the 3 billion people who would like to come to the U.S. to get free Education, medical and welfare assistance do NOT have an inalienable right to do so.

no, that’s not the way it works.

Migration is about  following jobs and has always been about that.

immigrants are allowed into other peoples countries because there are jobs there for them fill , not to take away jobs from the citizens who work there and not to come there for free stuff that they can’t get in their own countries.

That is sure bankruptcy for that host country.

I think it’s actually hysterical that the LEFT has convinced young people , especially caucasians now, NOT to reproduce so they can have more money from those same peoples taxes and assets to feed and educate the illegal immigrants that they have invited in to their countries.

go to a big time, expensive University and get laden with debt and then pay off the debt and pay taxes  but don’t have children, we need that money so we can feed and educate other peoples children and by the way, they like nice big families.

You patsies , you buffoons, you never see the forest through the trees.

As for no left Party in America, this borders on lunacy.

the bar has been  pushed so far to the Left that the country and Democrat Party , is unrecognizable.
when I was growing up the Communists and Far Left Radicals  were the left and the country club Racists and John Brich Society were the Right.

now, you are a Rightwing crazy if you voted for a Republican or think maybe girls  who were born boys  should not be participating against young girls in HS  sports or you aren’t sure Priests should be forced to officiate at Lesbian Weddings.

How long do you think it would take with Open Borders for the U.S. Government to go bankrupt and for US cities to have the same problems that the countries those people are running away from now have?

Trump threw out MS 13 a murderous gang that made entire cities unlivable in Central America , hell entire countries , yet The Democrats are looking the other way while they come back, as we speak.

It’s so sad, smart people like you are totally indoctrinated and living in fantasyland .

you are the  wonderful caring  people though, the rest of us hate the poor, we want them all to starve to death and suffer, has nothing to with reality and the fact that Capitalism has allowed the worlds population to expand at an unbelievable rate with more people living a comfortable life than ever before throughout world history.

India as an example has a 200,000,000 + people middle class, many owning their own homes, cars , traveling, etc.
when I was a child, maybe they had a 200,000 people middle class, maybe.

Wake up and smell the roses, no, you aren’t good and everyone else bad.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:25:51 AM by be cause »

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
  • Earth will survive AGW...but will Homo sapiens?
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 631
  • Likes Given: 609
« Reply #714 on: April 09, 2021, 07:37:08 PM »
Is a Cultural Revolution Brewing in America?
https://www.oftwominds.com/blogapr21/US-cultural-rev4-21.html
In other words, once the social pressure cooker valve gives way, then the unleashed forces soon grasp that there are few limits on what they can criticize as long as they do so within an implicitly approved narrative--for example, "the wealthy" hoarded wealth and power and so it is just to claw it back by whatever means are available. Since the government failed to do so, the people will have to do so.
The extreme inequalities of wealth and power that are now the dominant dynamic in America are heating the cultural pressure cooker, and when the pressure can no longer be contained, then being recognized as wealthy will shift very quickly from something desirable to something to avoid at all costs.
The lesson of China's Cultural Revolution in my view is that once the lid blows off, everything that was linear (predictable) goes non-linear (unpredictable, fragmented, contingent, emergent, prone to extremes, uncontrollable). If America experiences a Cultural Revolution, the outcome won't lend itself to tidiness or predictability.
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

interstitial

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #715 on: April 10, 2021, 03:13:45 AM »
Extremes are not healthy. We have gotten to a point where the wealthy pay too small of a percentage of their income. While some want extreme change most would be content with a restoration of historical norms. Tax rates on wealthy individuals should be double what the middle class pay. That should be based on what they pay not before deductions.