Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Empire - America and the future  (Read 215841 times)

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Empire - America and the future
« Reply #1200 on: March 12, 2019, 05:54:18 AM »
Bush Family Fortunes: The Best Democracy Money Can Buy - 2004 - Full Length

Written by Greg Palast

"You assist an unjust administration most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. [...] A good person will resist an evil system with his whole soul. Disobedience of the laws of an evil state is therefore a duty."
Mahatma Gandhi - Non-Violent Resistance

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: March 13, 2019, 07:31:01 AM »

Israel's Influence: Good or Bad for America?
Published on 25 Jul 2016
Secretary of State Colin Powell’s former chief of staff explores how Israel’s influence over the U.S. has affected America’s strategic approach toward the Middle East.

Conference: Israel's Influence: Good or Bad for America? Washington, DC - March 18, 2016 at the National Press Club

This conference was organized by the American Educational Trust, publisher of the Washington Report on Middle East Affairs magazine, and the Institute for Research: Middle Eastern Policy, Inc. 

02:44  "I will say too that he had the
additional characteristic if you will of
being a Jewish American, which recalls to
mine for me immediately a most unnerving
moment as I had just begun my new career
in 2001 as an erstwhile diplomat I just
entered the inner sanctum of a man who
would prove to be very powerful at state
over the next four years. He had only
recently discovered that I had chosen to
work for Richard Haass in his capacity
of states to partner of policy planning
rather than staying directly under my
old mentor the new Secretary of State
Colin Powell.

"Why he asked did you like to
work for that self-loathing Jew?"

Recovering from mild shock I looked him
straight in the eye and replied
"I'll forget I heard that." I turned and
evacuated his inner sanctum while he
harumphed to my rear.

I recall this little anecdote because
it reveals what many use as reposting
device against any Jewish American
who through critical thinking questions
from time to time the policies of
the modern State of Israel and the
u.s. relationship with that state
its
complement of course for Gentiles
like me is anti-semite.

I've no doubt where someone
such as Alan Dershowitz from
whom I have heard for example to
read my students paper the response
self-loathing Jew would not be far from
his lips

In 1948 I would submit there was no
explicit such challenge for Jewish
Americans, or for any other Americans
that matter, the ingrained and highly
partisan nature of the US-Israel
relationship, and the Neo-Conservative
adoption of it in particular." 

[...] George Marshall who was now Secretary of
State and others
objected to what Harry Truman
was about to do with regard to the State of
Israel.

My student wrote on these objections
that the Joint Chiefs had pinned as
1) the vehement Arab opposition to a Jewish
state
2) the threat such opposition presented to
the key oil imports from neighboring Arab
countries.

And then my student quoted the Joint Chiefs
verbatim quote
- "the decision to partition
Palestine if the decision were supported
by the United States would prejudice
United States strategic interests
in the
near and Middle East to the point that
the United States influence in the area
would be curtailed to that which could be
maintained by military force.

Is that prescience or is that prescience?

Harry Truman on the other hand as
my student pointed out summed up
the case for if you will thusly:
"I'm sorry gentlemen," the president
said "but I have to answer to hundreds of
thousands who were anxious for the
success of Zionism. I do not have
hundreds of thousands of Arabs among
my constituents."

Marshal in a tale that's not apocryphal
when Truman did decide that he was
going to essentially recognize the state
that had stood up Israel, threatened not
to vote for the president if he did.

Coming from a man like George Marshal
who as a military professional never voted
in his life this was almost stunning for Truman
to hear. Of course he went ahead and so we
began our relationship.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:13:08 AM by Lurk »
"You assist an unjust administration most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. [...] A good person will resist an evil system with his whole soul. Disobedience of the laws of an evil state is therefore a duty."

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: March 13, 2019, 07:51:22 AM »
PNAC Neoconservatives included

William Kristol, Co-founder and Chairman[6]
    Robert Kagan, Co-founder[6]
    Mark Gerson[6]
    Randy Scheunemann[6]

Ellen Bork, Deputy Director[6]
Timothy Lehmann, Assistant Director
Reuel Marc Gerecht, Senior Fellow[6]
Gary Schmitt, Senior Fellow
Michael Goldfarb, Research Associate

Signatories to Statement of Principles

Elliott Abrams
    Gary Bauer[5]
    William J. Bennett[5]
    John Ellis "Jeb" Bush[5]
    Dick Cheney[5]
    Eliot A. Cohen[5]
    Midge Decter[5]
    Paula Dobriansky[5]
    Steve Forbes[5]
    Aaron Friedberg[5]
    Francis Fukuyama[5]
    Frank Gaffney[5]
    Fred C. Ikle[5]
    Donald Kagan[5]
    Zalmay Khalilzad[5]
    I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby[5]
    Norman Podhoretz[5]
    J. Danforth Quayle[5]
    Peter W. Rodman[5]
    Stephen P. Rosen[5]
    Henry S. Rowen[5]
    Donald Rumsfeld[5]
    Vin Weber[5]
    George Weigel[5]
    Paul Wolfowitz[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_New_American_Century#People_associated_with_the_PNAC

The Project for the New American Century (PNAC) was a neo-conservative think tank (1997 to 2006) that had strong ties to the American Enterprise Institute. PNAC's web site said it was "established in the spring of 1997" as "a non-profit, educational organization whose goal is to promote American global leadership."

PNAC's policy document, "Rebuilding America's Defences," openly advocated for total global military domination. Many PNAC members held highest-level positions in the George W. Bush administration. The Project was an initiative of the New Citizenship Project (501c3). [1]

In 2009 two of PNAC's founders, William Kristol and Robert Kagan, began what some termed "PNAC 2.0," The Foreign Policy Initiative.

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Project_for_the_New_American_Century

See

The American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research (AEI) is an influential right-wing think tank that advocates for lower taxes, fewer protections for consumers and the environment, and cuts to the social safety net.[1] AEI describes itself as "committed to expanding liberty, increasing individual opportunity, and strengthening free enterprise.
https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=American_Enterprise_Institute

New Citizenship Project (also New Citizenship Project, Inc.) is a non-profit organization funded by large right-wing foundations. Founded in 1994, NCP initiated the Project for the New American Century, one of the key behind-the-scenes architects of the Bush administration's foreign policy. According to his senate biography, John McCain served as a president of NCP, "an organization created to promote greater civic participation in our national life."[1]

NCP shares the same address and suite as PNAC. According to NCP's listing in The Right Guide, NCP and the Philanthropy Roundtable share the same phone number. The Philanthropy Roundtable's office is on the same floor of the same office building as PNAC and NCP.

In 1996, the Council on Crime in America, another NCP project, authored a report The State of Violent Crime in America which was published by the Heartland Institute. The Council., which appears to have only been briefly active in 1996, was chaired by former "Drug Czar" William Bennett and former Attorney General Griffin Bell. McCain also served on the Council
https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=New_Citizenship_Project

The Foreign Policy Initiative (FPI) is a neoconservative think tank begun in 2009 by William Kristol, the founder of the Project for the New American Century. FPI is, according to its website, "... promotes continued U.S. engagement -- diplomatic, economic, and military
https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=The_Foreign_Policy_Initiative

A neo-conservative (abbreviated as neo-con or neocon) is part of a U.S. based political movement rooted in liberal Cold War anticommunism and a backlash to the social liberation movements of the 1960s and 1970s. These liberals drifted toward conservatism: thus they are new (neo) conservatives.

They favor an aggressive unilateral U.S. foreign policy. They generally believe that elites protect democracy from mob rule. Sometimes the spelling is "neoconservative."
https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Neo-conservative

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: March 13, 2019, 08:26:33 AM »
Israel's Influence: Good or Bad for America?  con't

"My student continued also in the
Balfour Declaration of 1917 the British
had promised the Jewish people a
homeland in Palestine and in the eyes of
many Americans after World War II it is up
to the U.S. to give that home to them,
and Harry S Truman did just that.

Today we can look back on a line of post-war
war two presidents who tried to deal
with the challenges and more, that the
Joint Chiefs of Staff had so presciently
laid out.

And to be honest, and as many of  you
in this audience probably are well aware,
the Joint Chiefs were not breaking new
ground.

Ever since World War I and Louis
Brandeis' influence on Woodrow
Wilson and his foremost advisor Edward
Hauss, the US State Department's position
on the potential for a Jewish state in
Palestine had been quite clear

The State Dept. (and many others) opposed
the Zionist movement because it was a
minority group interfering in United States
foreign affairs.

Again talk about prescience. And there we
have prescients par excellence!

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 101
« Reply #1204 on: March 15, 2019, 11:30:05 PM »
Surprise, surprise: Rogue state admits it is rogue state

https://apnews.com/08e538e370914f6e8243e237dbde50b5

sidd

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: March 16, 2019, 02:51:05 AM »
Surprise, surprise: Rogue state admits it is rogue state

https://apnews.com/08e538e370914f6e8243e237dbde50b5

sidd

also reported by "evil lying Russian propaganda ops" (sic) at RT

'Change your course!': Pompeo threatens ICC over US war crimes probe
Published time: 15 Mar, 2019

The Washington war hawk said that action had to be taken because any investigation into alleged war crimes and torture committed by the United States would be a threat to US rule of law.

(It sure would - the whole edifice would fall should the truth come out about US "rules of Law")

Visas will be pulled or denied for anyone who has been involved in or even requested an ICC investigation of “any US personnel.”

(and these secret Govt actions have already occurred many times) 

https://www.rt.com/news/453951-pompeo-icc-visa-revoke/

You've got to admit the American people Voters and non-Voters have a bottomless supply of tolerance for the intolerable. That's a unique skill.

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: March 17, 2019, 07:19:41 AM »
Costs of Empire: Sjursen at truthdig

"Our country—your country—has waged perpetual war, across the globe, against an ill-defined enemy and with scant hope for “victory,” for nearly two decades. It’s cost some 6 trillion tax dollars, sacrificed 7,000 soldiers and contributed to the killing of perhaps 500,000 foreigners, including 240,000 civilians. It has done so with a professional, volunteer military, one that’s disjointed from the populace and largely operates in the shadows. Through it all, you’re no safer now—maybe less so—than on 9/11, when many of the damaged vets I met were just children. America, your government owns the fractious world it helped create, and—like it or not—owns the hundreds of thousands of PTSD-afflicted vets living within its borders."

"Even if the wars ended tomorrow (they won’t, by the way), American society has another half-century ahead of it, laden with the burden of these unnecessary disabled veterans. It’s inescapable. "

Read the whole thing:

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/uncle-sam-sent-me-to-rehab-for-ptsd/

sidd

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: March 18, 2019, 04:49:00 AM »
"No man can serve two Masters."

Nor two Nations. They either serve one or the other.

It's a clinical choice they make to serve one and betray the other.

The excuses and the illogical immoral rationalisations makes no difference. 

PNAC Neoconservatives included

William Kristol, Co-founder and Chairman[6]
    Robert Kagan, Co-founder[6]
    Mark Gerson[6]
    Randy Scheunemann[6]

Ellen Bork, Deputy Director[6]
Timothy Lehmann, Assistant Director
Reuel Marc Gerecht, Senior Fellow[6]
Gary Schmitt, Senior Fellow
Michael Goldfarb, Research Associate

Signatories to Statement of Principles

Elliott Abrams
    Gary Bauer[5]
    William J. Bennett[5]
    John Ellis "Jeb" Bush[5]
    Dick Cheney[5]
    Eliot A. Cohen[5]
    Midge Decter[5]
    Paula Dobriansky[5]
    Steve Forbes[5]
    Aaron Friedberg[5]
    Francis Fukuyama[5]
    Frank Gaffney[5]
    Fred C. Ikle[5]
    Donald Kagan[5]
    Zalmay Khalilzad[5]
    I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby[5]
    Norman Podhoretz[5]
    J. Danforth Quayle[5]
    Peter W. Rodman[5]
    Stephen P. Rosen[5]
    Henry S. Rowen[5]
    Donald Rumsfeld[5]
    Vin Weber[5]
    George Weigel[5]
    Paul Wolfowitz[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_New_American_Century#People_associated_with_the_PNAC

Ilhan Omar is spot on about the 'blind allegiances' to Israel and it's mega wealthy supporters in the USA, UK etc. Pretending and lying about that doesn't change the facts. 

All Laws and all Politics is about "morals and ethics" ... or the lack thereof. The Media and Politicians do pick sides. No point denying it nor "shooting the messenger" like they did MLK et al. Unless you're on the wrong side.

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: March 18, 2019, 10:47:49 PM »
Taibbi at rollingstone on uncountable costs of eternal war:

"the Department of Defense has remained an organizational black box throughout its history. It’s repelled generations of official inquiries, the latest being an audit three decades in the making, mainly by scrambling its accounting into such a mess that it may never be untangled."

"At a cost of $400 million, some 1,200 auditors charged into the jungle of military finance, but returned in defeat."

" “These systems,” as one Senate staffer puts it, “were not designed to be audited.” "

" the Defense Department a few years ago found about $125 billion in administrative waste, a wart that by itself was just under twice the size of that $74 billion Enron bankruptcy. Inspectors found “at least” $6 billion to $8 billion in waste in the Iraq campaign, and said $15 billion of waste found in the Afghan theater was probably “only a portion” of the total lost."

"In a supreme irony, the auditors’ search for boondoggles has itself become a boondoggle. In the early Nineties and 2000s, the Defense Department spent billions hiring private firms in preparation for last year. In many cases, those new outside accountants simply repeated recommendations that had already been raised and ignored by past government auditors like the Defense inspector general."

"Taxpayers, in other words, are paying gargantuan sums to private accounting firms to write reports about how previous recommendations were ignored."

"Those DFAS accountants in the Reuters exposé were told by superiors that if they couldn’t find invoices or contracts to prove the various services spent their one-year money and two-year money and five-year money on time, they should execute “unsubstantiated change actions,” i.e., lie.

The accountants systematically “plugged” in fake numbers to match the payment schedules handed down by the Treasury. These fixes are called “journal voucher adjustments” or “plugs.”

As a result, those year-end financial statements will look like they match congressional intentions. In truth, the statements packed with thousands of plugs are fictions, a form of systematic accounting fraud Congress has quietly tolerated for decades."

"You’ll see the invented numbers called “forced-balance entries” by the General Accounting Office (which is run by Congress), “adjustments not adequately supported” by the Defense inspector general, and “journal vouchers” or “JVs” or “workarounds” by the Pentagon’s own comptroller general. On the Hill, everyone refers to “plugs.” "

"the Army — with an annual budget of $122 billion — generated accounting plugs 54 times that amount, a full $6.5 trillion worth, in 2015 alone."

" when a suspicious number pops up anywhere in the military’s multiple accounting silos, it typically isn’t investigated, but simply fixed on paper and sent on its way"

"Congress really has only two ways to respond when the DoD breaks the law. Elected officials can shout and criticize the Pentagon, or withhold funds. The former is not terribly effective, and the latter has so far proved politically impossible."

"“We were trying to make chicken soup out of chicken shit,” says an auditor, with a sad laugh. "

"A major problem is campaign finance reform. Ask Hill staffers why it’s hard to pass any bill that even contemplates withholding funding for the Pentagon, and they say you’ll run smack into a bipartisan batch of refuseniks who’ve been gorging on defense-sector campaign contributions, thanks to their status on committees like Armed Services or Appropriations."

"The Pentagon can keep accountants busy forever simply doing the taxonomic job of describing its inauditability. "

"The system of campaign contributions that keeps key committees captive probably locks this problem in place, until there’s reform on that end."

"It’s the ultimate example of the immutability of the American political system."

My fucking tax dollars at work. Read the whole thing:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/pentagon-budget-mystery-807276/

sidd