Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Why some still "DENY" and others "FAIL TO ACT"  (Read 383391 times)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: Why some still "DENY" and others "FAIL TO ACT"
« Reply #800 on: January 24, 2019, 01:58:49 PM »
Moved from Tesla glory/failure thread:

Lurk, I haven't ever bought or owned a new car. I will never buy a new Tesla either but I can't say I wouldn't buy one used . I do have solar and I am in the process of buying a couple Tesla power walls.

Hi Bruce. I too have lived on 'farming' environment self-sufficient totally off-grid (except for home phones) with natural spring drinking water and rainwater and solar powered in the early 90s. Was great but I had o return to "un-civilization" due to family demands etc and have never been ablke to get back to that lifestyle. Though my "resources/energy footprint" is more like a "paw print" compared to the avg joe. Sounds like you have a great setup there. That's really good. You're lucky. 99% of westerners don't have a chance in hell in replicating it.

I'm curious why you'd bother with a tesla powerwall though. To me it's like buying an Apple phone when for the same price you could buy 10 other phones that can all do the same work, satisfy the same "needs". Of course people do not make rational cost-effective purchasing decisions purely on the basis of genuine need 99% of the time.

To sum, we won't know unless we run the numbers . It would be good to agree on what we were trying to accomplish.

Aah I could chat for hours about that. There are many different things needing to be accomplished. There is no universal "solution". Different nations should have different priorities for action. Different economic sectors and industries should also have different priorities and strategies for the long term. Different sectors of society in all the different local Counties States and countries the same they should be looking at quite different priorities.

eg Farmers should doing what only the farmers can do. ie regenerative agriculture and sharing their knowledge among themselves. Electric vehicle manufacturers and designers should be doing what only they can do. But both muts be looking long term to post-2050 and acting now accordngly. But they can't. And why can;t they?

Because the entire system is founded upon doing the complete opposite. Short-termism. Creating Tesla to be structured in exactly the same way as every other MV manufacturer has been structured since early 1900s and Henry Ford were alive. Nothing is going to chnage when the whole global stock market financial system is geared for one thing - gouging resources for short term profit for the benefit of shareholders wealth and sustaining the existing SYSTEM.

So above all of these matters lays the Laws of the Land set in stone based on an economic system that has out lived its usefulness. And the Politicians we keep voting in .... who are the ONLY ones who have the power and the the role to change those Laws (like Farmers Farm and Politicians write Laws and never the twain shall meet) only THEY can change those REGULATIONS and the multiple INDUSTRY and FINANCIAL STANDARDS of how this global system is  setup and enshrined in SOLID ROCK.

Until that changes at a fundamental VALUES Based level nothing is really going to change. Tesla is gouging resources (human included) at a rate no less than any other Manufacturer on Earth. So what if they sell electric vehicle. They are still a waste of money energy and resources - it's same old system operating. 

I get barely anyone can see this or agree with it. But that's OK. AGW/CC and Tesla are not my problem.

Those who live like you though well they will be the survivors imho. Whether you personally buy a tesla new or used, or some other option (and there are many many better less resource intensive options) really doesn't matter much in the big scheme of things. Cheers keep doing what your doing Bruce. It's all good.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #801 on: January 24, 2019, 02:00:14 PM »
Idem dito:

Maybe this could explain from where I am coming from.

@13:09 a 'science orientated' dude says:

".... but on those bad days because what (my teenage son) is asking I think when he says 'Are we gonna fix this?' is not is there hope left but is there Agency left? Are there things that individuals and communities can still do to work on this?

And so your first thought is especially as someone who's been trying to study the challenges of transformation is that we just do not have the Transformative Capacity right now to do what's necessary."

Or as Guy McPherson put it:

"We have become completely infantilized and now we don't even know what we should eat! So we turn to The Guardian for advice about which light bulbs we should use and how much ..... aah come on!"

Buy a Tesla. Don't buy a Tesla. Makes no difference to solving climate change. Won't even make a dint in the idea of doing something constructive and sustainable. Except to the pockets shareholders of TSLA and the Bank shareholders and the Bond Holders who lent Tesla all that money. They really do not care in the slightest about GHG or climate change consequences. That's not why they bought those shares.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #802 on: January 24, 2019, 06:39:09 PM »
Lurk, Thanks for the response. I'm glad to hear you managed to get off the grid, at least for awhile.
I'd like it if you would share some of your experiences , I think other people would like to make the transition. And yes different climate zones, or family demands change the options one can successfully pursue.
 As an explanation to why I am buying the power walls. Our electric utility company PG&E is shifting all of it's rate plans to TOU ( time of use ). They are going to buy my solar production at a low rate and charge very high rates for peak hours 3-9pm. The power wall can be programmed to  unload it's stored power during peak hours and it is that integration with the grid that I find useful. As an understatement I am not tech savvy so electronics that don't require my supervision are a plus. I also think the power wall app can help me better document electric utilization by water pumps, freezer banks, air conditioner , as a tool to help me better manage when I should utilize my available stored power. I expect peak rates to approach 50 cents a kWh fairly soon. Southern Calif. Edison is already charging 42 cents a  kWh and PG&E is going to go way past that if and when they get out of bankruptcy.
 I am a pig farmer and I run my business from here on the farm. The power walls would pay for themselves if they kept my freezers going during a power failure when I wasn't home to fire up the generator. I am almost always home but some spare power is insurance , and peace of mind for when I'm not here.
 Re. Surviving the bottleneck. I am not really a preper , and living in Southern Calif. isn't a good place to wait for that eventuality . I am interested in farming systems that can put carbon back into the soil , support a family or two , and make enough money to keep the farm solvent. I think making money is the part that crushes most want to be farmers. The wife, the kids , and family , the dentist,and  the doctor all have their expectations. If a farmer can get very green and still provide a farm profit I think you might have other people willing to attempt farming. I hope more than 1%. If it's just a matter of survival and we can forget the mortgage, insurance, and people's expectations then I think people's attitude about farming would change. Regardless the bottleneck will be brutal and I would guess planning for the post 2050 world will require truncated expectations. Less of all material wealth and much less comforts. Maybe we just can't get there until we go over the cliff ?

ASILurker

« Reply #803 on: January 28, 2019, 01:49:30 AM »
Why some still "DENY" and others "FAIL TO ACT"?

Most of the time the answer to that question is DISINFORMATION .... Intentional Manipulation.

You can learn more true facts from Chomsky in this 17 minutes lecture outtake:

To Really Solve Climate Change ~ You Really Must Change the System!

Because it changes nothing when nothing changes!

Noam Chomsky in 2014 @15:15 mins speaks regarding Right Wing Ayn Randism, Libertarianism, Neoliberalism, Globalization, Corporatism, the Dysfunctional Politics and failing Democracy across the West

"There's a major attack on Democracy, all the way through. But now it's reached the point, which is pretty remarkable. If you look at one of the main topics in mainstream Political Science it is comparing Public Attitudes with Public Policy.

It's a fairly straightforward effort to do this work. We have the Public Policies so we can see it. There is extensive Polling, quite reliable and consistent in it's results. It gives you a sense of what Public Attitudes are. The results of this work are published in the major books, articles, academic papers etc. the results are very straightforward.

About 70% of the Population, the lowest 70% on the wealth/income scale are literally disenfranchised. Their opinions have no effect on Policy. Their elected Representatives don't pay any attention to them. It's one of the reasons many of them don't bother Voting. They're not going to pay any attention to them anyway.

As you move up the Income Scale you get to have a little more influence on Policy. When you get to the Top - and contrary to the Occupy Movement it's not 1% it's more like one-tenth of 1% (0.1%) - when you get to the top where the massive concentration of wealth is they basically set Policy.

That's not Democracy that's Plutocracy. And that's what we have accepted.

But the good thing about it is it is changeable.  It's not controlled by force. We are very free in that respect. Thanks to victories over the centuries. That leaves a lot of options and you'll have to make use of them."

My Comment:

It's all 'Connected' - Democracy or the lack thereof, politics, public policy, public attitudes and disengagement, wealth inequality, neoliberalism, the MIC, national Intel Services, regime change, Social Media and Mass media propaganda from think tanks, corporate shills, special interest groups (AIPAC)  and the main political parties -- is all directly connected with the causes of global warming and the entrenched climate change inaction by Governments everywhere (except in China.)

Fact is Public Opinion and Public Priorities and the topics that are up there for "discussions" on news media websites are being 'Controlled' by the grotesque MSM manipulations.

The Think Tanks feeding in the "acceptable public opinion" into the national consciousness via their "cable news agents" and default Biased reporting via the mouthpieces in the News Media and Social Media that are conveying 24/7 the false Rhetoric of Corporatists and  Politicians in every nation today.

Meanwhile people of good will keep going on about making personal changes (stop eating meat, it'll save the world) and of technological strides forward (EVs Solar Batteries) to tackle GHG emissions and Climate Change. While every week, month and year those very same GHG emissions keep going up up up and the temperature keeps going up up up.

To me this really ends up being a kind of Climate Change Derangement Syndrome. Add it to the list of other current 'derangement syndromes' that seem rife these days.

Trump pulls the USA out of the Paris Agreement and all we hear from Americans is barely a little whimper. Like, what's with that? Where is the weekly multi-million people marches demanding the opposite? Why is it not "Item #1 for the new Democrat House Majority and Speaker Pelosi?

Can we really not see what is happening right in front of your eyes in the USA and everywhere else or do we consciously choose to just deny it? Is it just too unsavory or too depressing to recognize and accept this reality as it is? 

The question is not "What are people thinking?" when the obvious state of affairs is that they are not thinking! Blind to the bleeding obvious about their own powerlessness, captured by the 24/7 spin across the media, coupled with a DENIAL of the OBVIOUS lack of genuine real substantial action to tackle this existential crisis unfolding before our very eyes.

Greta Thunberg a very young teen gets the seriousness of the situation and the obvious inaction

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 03:02:05 AM by Lurk »

ASILurker

« Reply #804 on: January 28, 2019, 02:56:07 AM »
Kevin Anderson from the UK really hits the nail on the head when he conveyed the research that 50% of GHGs are driven by the consumption of the wealthiest 10% of global population.

In this world while the WEF is going on in Davos again the chorus of calls from our Politicians and the "smartest people in the room" is for creating strategies to increase Global Economic Growth. That means increasing Consumption Spending in a world where Consumption, especially unnecessary wasteful Consumption and Energy Use needs to be decreasing rapidly.

What the #1 Agenda Item at Darvos should be is how to create Global Economic Degrowth - and yet still meet the basic needs of everyday people. Those described by Chomsky as the 70% who are lowest on the Income Scale. While at the very same time shifting global energy use rapidly from Fossil Fuels to alternative energy systems - and maximizing energy efficiency at all levels of society and business.

Or doing something really rational like cutting national defense budgets by 90% over a decade through positive co-operation among nations instead of threats of aggression and regime change plots.

The most wasteful Consumption actually happens in that Top 10% Wealth band where the "masters of the universe" live - you include the secret services and MIC in that band. Plus those well to do people with enough spare cash to indulge themselves in buying Corporate Shares to further build their Capital Pot. Furthermore the most destructive Government Policies are being set by Politicians who are sitting in the Top 1% Band of the wealthy and who allow the 0.1% to set Government Policy at will.

Until these major Systemic problems are fixed, that is are totally Reformed on a global scale first, everything else on these pages of Policy and Solutions are total waste of time imho. Technology is not going to be the game the changer - that's incidental and will happen anyway - it's people's attitudes, beliefs, and values are what needs to change imo. That is not easy to do. But then that change needs to be reflected at a Government Policy level across all their Law Making powers and Regulation Imposing powers consistently.

Tough choices have to made and soon. Gimmicks won't cut it. Small incremental changes will not cut it. Swapping one political party for another party to take over the Government won't cut it either.

GHG emissions are increasing not decreasing - that's no accident - it's embedded into the current System.

Don't blame Trump for cancelling on Paris. He's merely the front man for the day. Obama was no better nor was Bill Clinton or Al Gore when in Office. Obama sure 'talked the talk' but he never 'walked the walk.' His grand plan for Climate Change Reform was delivered in December 2016 after Trump had won the election. 8 years to achieve nothing lasting. The US was not instrumental in arriving at the Paris Agreement either. Here's what Obama was most proud of and he demands a Thank You from Wall Street and Oil/Gas producers in Texas 5 Star Function with James Baker:

"Obama: That was me people! ...like you know sometimes you go to Wall Street and folks will be grumbling about I'm anti-business. I said: Have you checked where your stocks were when I came in office where they are now? What what are you talking about, what are you complaining about? Just say thank you, please."

President Barack Obama is directing his administration to ramp up U.S. oil production by extending existing leases in the Gulf of Mexico and off Alaska's coast and holding more frequent lease sales in a federal petroleum reserve in Alaska. (May 14, 2011)

This guy is shameless. But you gotta love him for it?

My point? Beware manipulative 'distractions', blatant Sophistry, and especially False Prophets!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 03:10:00 AM by Lurk »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #805 on: April 19, 2019, 03:19:47 AM »
We could have the best science and the best policies in the world, but if we don’t have the public will behind them, it won’t be enough

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/climate-change-policy-renewables

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #806 on: August 06, 2019, 10:55:26 PM »
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:06:14 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #807 on: August 20, 2019, 11:57:04 PM »
While the majority of Canadians believe in climate change, there is some debate around how much humans have contributed to the state of the environment, said Matto Mildenberger, an assistant professor of political science at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5782855/why-people-deny-climate-change/

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #808 on: August 29, 2019, 10:56:11 PM »
The Misogyny of Climate Deniers
https://newrepublic.com/article/154879/misogyny-climate-deniers
As Thunberg approached America, she was followed by a tsunami of male rage. On her first day of sailing, a multi-millionaire Brexit activist tweeted that he wished a freak accident would destroy her boat. A conservative Australian columnist called her a “deeply disturbed messiah of the global warming movement,” while the British far-right activist David Vance attacked the “sheer petulance of this arrogant child.”

In the U.S., former Trump staffer Steve Milloy recently called Thunberg a “teenage puppet,” and claimed that “the world laughs at this Greta charade,” while a widely shared far-right meme showed Trump tipping The Statue of Liberty to crush her boat. We can expect a surge of similar attacks in the U.S. as she arrives in New York this week.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #809 on: August 30, 2019, 07:21:29 AM »
As Thunberg approached America, she was followed by a tsunami of male rage rigtwing male white supremacist rage.
(my emphasis and changed wording)

I fear for Greta and all other people who fight to save truth and life on Earth.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #810 on: September 21, 2019, 12:46:38 AM »
THE PHILOSOPHY OF CLIMATE DENIAL
https://www.alleghenyfront.org/the-philosophy-of-climate-denial/
How do you change the minds of climate deniers and people who doubt the scientific process in general? We ask a philosopher of science for some answers.

Lee McIntyre is a Research Fellow at the Center for Philosophy and History of Science at Boston University and a Lecturer in Ethics at Harvard Extension School. He has written books about defending science and fighting back against “alternative facts.”

Now, McIntyre is out on the road talking to flat earth theorists and people who don’t accept current climate science. The Allegheny Front’s Kara Holsopple spoke with McIntyre when he visited Pittsburgh this week.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #811 on: September 24, 2019, 09:02:45 PM »
WHAT DO EVANGELICAL CHRISTIANS REALLY THINK ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE?
https://www.newsweek.com/what-evangelical-christians-think-climate-change-1459927
White evangelical Christians in particular are, on average, more likely to question whether human activity contributed to the Earth's warming, with research by Pew suggesting 28 percent accept this view, compared with 64 percent of those without a religious affiliation, 56 percent of black Protestants and 41 percent of mainline Protestants. Over a third of evangelical Christians say there is "no solid evidence" that climate change is happening.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #812 on: October 02, 2019, 03:30:41 AM »
< It's just one Koch now!
Michael E. Mann (@MichaelEMann) 10/1/19, 8:22 PM
I know. It's weird to say, "The Koch Brother".
And actually, there's still William too. The forgotten (but equally evil) Koch Brother: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Koch_(businessman)
https://twitter.com/michaelemann/status/1179189758666383360
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.