Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Antarctic ecosystems  (Read 1700 times)

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 284
Antarctic ecosystems
« on: June 23, 2014, 06:36:04 PM »
I think we have a thread somewhere on changing sea life in the Arctic, so I thought I'd start one on the Antarctic, but include land species/ecosystems, inspired (if that's the right word) by this recent piece:

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/icebergs_strip_away_rich_antarctic_habitat_20140623

Icebergs Strip Away Rich Antarctic Habitat

A once-rich habitat in the Antarctic has become an impoverished zone as icebergs, increasingly breaking free from the surrounding sea ice because of global warming, scour the shallow-water rocks and boulders on which a diversity of creatures cling to life.

A report in the journal Current Biology says that researchers who carried out a survey dive in 2013 at Lagoon Island, off the West Antarctic Peninsula, discovered that “no live mega or macro-fauna can be found, the first time this has been observed there, despite being regularly visited by scientific divers since 1997”.

David Barnes, of the British Antarctic Survey, and colleagues report that boulders on the seabed near the Rothera research station had once been richly encrusted with creatures that competed for living space. Now such rocks might only support a single species.

(Mods, please merge or set this in more appropriate place if this isn't it.)
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: Antarctic ecosystems
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 07:45:09 PM »