Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 217458 times)

uniquorn

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 561
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: Gardening
« Reply #750 on: August 08, 2019, 12:02:22 AM »
SOIL. SOIL. THE PERFECT SOIL!
Our plot is old hayfield with rock not far down. The difference between the beds we've composted on and those we haven't is stark. Nearly time to plant on the no-till experiment area. Will let you know how it goes.
Actually lots of things grew pretty well the first year but after that it got more challenging.

El Cid

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #751 on: August 08, 2019, 08:05:21 AM »
SOIL. SOIL. THE PERFECT SOIL!
Our plot is old hayfield with rock not far down. The difference between the beds we've composted on and those we haven't is stark. Nearly time to plant on the no-till experiment area. Will let you know how it goes.
Actually lots of things grew pretty well the first year but after that it got more challenging.

I try to add some new layer of compost each year on existing beds (1-2 cm) if I can - that is the best soultion if you have enough compost.

If not, I try to grow some quick nitrogen fixer in a mix (like planting crimson clover with some mustard and phacelia either planted autumn or early spring), mow it down in May, water it in well, and then covering it with a black tarp for a few weeks (to germinate-and-kill the weeds and help decomposition) and then planting things into it during June-July for an autumn harvest (carrots, beets, brassicas, peas, beans, salads). This way fertility can be sustained...

Villabolo

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Global Warming Basics
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #752 on: August 16, 2019, 04:44:12 PM »
Concerning food storage, I suggest a 1 year supply of rice and/or wheat; a 2 month supply of canned food; a solar oven for cooking and a grinder for the wheat.

The wheat or rice should be packed in food grade buckets with Carbon Dioxide or oxygen absorbers put inside of them to keep weevils from infesting it. They can also be purchased in #10 size cans with a shelf life of 20 years.

Last, but not least, canned heirloom seeds for garden planting.

Bruce Steele

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #753 on: August 16, 2019, 05:29:42 PM »
Villabolo, I would suggest dried beans to match your rice and wheat storage. Protein .
 Kinda off topic but several kilos of sea salt will keep a very long time. With that and a small supply of saltpeter you can cure meat for storage if the lights go out.  Also you can use the salt for kimchi or sauerkraut .

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 175
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #754 on: August 16, 2019, 05:31:19 PM »
And lots of vitamin C, as lemons dont store too well