Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 196427 times)

etienne

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Gardening
« Reply #650 on: April 29, 2019, 07:11:57 PM »
I just placed some net on the leeks to protect them against the leek moth, and, insects are coming out of the earth.

Don't know what it is, but I opened the net to let them out.

silkman

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #651 on: April 29, 2019, 07:53:39 PM »
Etienne

It looks like in might be allium leaf miner.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=643

If it is and they are already infesting your leeks then it's bad news I'm afraid. We lost most of a crop to them a couple of years ago are are hoping to be successful this season with netting that's been in place for a couple of months.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 09:04:45 PM by silkman »

etienne

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #652 on: April 29, 2019, 09:11:43 PM »
Well I hope not. I was a little late with the netting, I was mainly scared by the leek moth that comes in May. I have already found the specific black "eggs" in leeks last year. Etienne

silkman

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #653 on: April 29, 2019, 09:31:33 PM »
The leaf miner flies are tiny (3mm). I couldn't tell from your pic how big your insects were.

I hope I'm wrong too. Leeks are a staple in our house.

Good luck.

https://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/leeks-growing/allium-leaf-miner/

etienne

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #654 on: April 30, 2019, 07:05:24 AM »
The insects are about 15 mm, so it is something else. But I saw one that was around the 3mm. We'll see.

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #655 on: April 30, 2019, 08:43:59 AM »
Some large Bibionid fly, likely. Some root damage may have happened for overwintering plants, though many species like composts and other decaying plant matter. Some species emerge simultaneously so large numbers may appear almost overnight.
See fe.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibio_marci
I remember seeing smaller ones around our compost and other composts.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 09:16:13 AM by Pmt111500 »
Amateur observations of Sea Ice since 2003.

etienne

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #656 on: April 30, 2019, 06:54:20 PM »
You're right, that's the rught insect. So it is not so bad.

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 440
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #657 on: May 10, 2019, 04:20:59 PM »
I've been getting ideas from this thread for a long time so I think it's time to join in. Early fava (broad,field) beans are doing really well but so are the ants farming blackfly. I spray with a mixture of soap, neem and teatree to slow them down. Any suggestions? Early peas and spinach failed this year as did the flax for some reason. Fenugreek survived. It's a lottery.

A couple of pictures of the plot.
Top. Last years spinach. Beans to the right of hops in front of rhubarb and asparagus. The poly was a gift from someone moving.
Bottom. 2nd year we've tried potatoes in mulch. These are on top of 2years of alfalfa. BIG roots! Soon we'll put old hay on top (no straw here). Leeks, onions, garlic and brassicas above. We try no till but with my planning skills we mostly end up digging. You can just see the four sheep at the top keeping the field down (or gazing into space, chewing). 5 hens and a cock probably being naughty somewhere. It's never tidier than this.

El Cid

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #658 on: May 10, 2019, 07:12:36 PM »
Uniquorn, it does not need to be tidier than this!

As for digging, you really don't need to do that. I have a big black tarp (almost 50sqm) (actually a pondliner) and I partitioned my veggie garden into three parts. One part gets covered by the tarp in March-April, and I put the "summer plants" here in May (tomatoes, beans, melons, okra, peppers, etc). Then I move the tarp into my second section (that was planted by cover crops late fall). I mow the cover, water it well, and tarp it for 1-2 months. I put my fall plants (brassicas, peas, carrots, etc) here in July/August. The third part gets covered in September-October-November, and is clean by next March, ready for peas, radishes, salads, etc. All with one big tarp, no need to dig, and you get a mostly weedfree, soft soil to plant into. I found it to be the best solution. I usually put my homemade compost on the beds before tarping, sometimes after.

Fertility solved, weeding zero, I truly need only to sow and reap (and water!) lots of tasty veggies.

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 10, 2019, 07:54:58 PM »
Thanks El Cid. We have black plastic that needs recycling. I'll try it on half a bed and see how it goes.

etienne

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #660 on: May 10, 2019, 09:44:52 PM »
I never had problems with early plants like spinach and peas, exepted for the birds eating everything, but netting is here an easy solution. I also put the potatoes as early as possible because of the mildew. My problems start with the slugs. I hope this will stay that way in the future.
I tried garlic this year and it is working very well, I have been giving fresh garlic to all the neighbours. It has a stronger taste than expected. Leeks seem to be ok. The main problem right now is that plants are ready to go out, but we are not yet out of the freezing time.

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 339
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #661 on: May 11, 2019, 08:44:05 PM »
Nice garden, UQ! Looks like plenty of space all around and no agriculture.  :)

Early fava (broad,field) beans are doing really well but so are the ants farming blackfly. I spray with a mixture of soap, neem and teatree to slow them down. Any suggestions?

We have the same problem over here in Austria as well. My wife has tried spraying neem etc as well, but now she removes the blackfly manually, asap.
Il faut comparer, comparer, comparer, et cultiver notre jardin

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 11, 2019, 09:30:45 PM »
Cattle farm nearby but next door is a hayfield so the fence only gets weedkiller once a year. Mostly the other side.
Black finger  :) I do that as well but when they are on the flower stems it's hard not to damage them.

etienne

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #663 on: May 13, 2019, 06:57:11 PM »
Nice garden, UQ! Looks like plenty of space all around and no agriculture.  :)

Early fava (broad,field) beans are doing really well but so are the ants farming blackfly. I spray with a mixture of soap, neem and teatree to slow them down. Any suggestions?

We have the same problem over here in Austria as well. My wife has tried spraying neem etc as well, but now she removes the blackfly manually, asap.
I found margold under the appletree helpful in this context, but not during the spring, only once the flowers are open.

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 13, 2019, 07:43:36 PM »
We've got calendular just coming out. I'll transplant a couple nearby. Ants are farming on the artichokes as well now.

El Cid

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #665 on: May 13, 2019, 09:38:00 PM »
We've got calendular just coming out. I'll transplant a couple nearby. Ants are farming on the artichokes as well now.

My ants like to "farm" my apple and apricot trees' leaves. I put sticky tapes around the trunk. That stops them. It only works for trees though....