Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Default future - shining windowless citadels watching the dying masses?  (Read 5183 times)

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
  • Civilisation collapse - what are you doing?
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
There's a lot of discussion about ideals and solutions - but I feel this is in itself a policy - and likely a default one. This proposed development is but one possible example of this tendency and the direction things are already headed.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/true-north/2014/jan/21/new-privatized-african-city-heralds-climate-apartheid?commentpage=1

I don't think such efforts offer any long term hopes for humanity - rather they show the expression of human nature and how it is (and will) respond to the oncoming challenges.

I've stuck it in policy (rather than consequences) because I think it raises both the question of the default policy (for those most responsible to use their ill gotten resources to retreat into bunkers and let the rest of us pay for their behaviour in suffering and death) - but it also raises the question of how we (at all levels, large and small) should respond to this.

It's a pity we can't get more views from those already at the bottom of the ladder - but they can't afford internet or education or decent food or clean water or sanitation and therefore are not represented in this forum. Let's remember that unless we are wealthy or influential enough to get into such a citadel - we - or our descendents - will be outside the walls by default. It is a mistake to take anything in life for granted (even something as simple as an electric light switch or a tap/faucet from which clean water can flow).

Shared Humanity

Re: Default future - shining windowless citadels watching the dying masses?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 06:29:22 PM »
And these are the people who will define broader policy that will impact the use of scarce resources across the planet. Watch the full video. It is enlightening.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 07:41:32 PM »
I've stuck it in policy (rather than consequences) because I think it raises both the question of the default policy (for those most responsible to use their ill gotten resources to retreat into bunkers and let the rest of us pay for their behaviour in suffering and death) - but it also raises the question of how we (at all levels, large and small) should respond to this.

We have to save our poor rich. That should be the message. Being too rich, is unhealthy. It destroys the soul, it makes you unhappy. A lot of research shows this to be true for most rich people.

They must be saved, just like drug addicts need saving.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 07:51:06 PM »
Wealthy people all over the world are getting ready right now.  Fortified houses, compounds, survival structures, large agricultural properties, etc.

They have no intention to give up what they have and could care less if a couple of billion poor people don't make it as long as they do.

About 2006 on the blog TOD we were posting about this type of activity and one poster indicated he worked for a firm which was building a series of compounds co-located in Patagonia for several ultra wealthy individuals who had purchased large ranch/farm properties in a very rural area.  The houses being built would withstand military type assaults and had gun emplacements built into them.  Housing for security personnel and their families was included.  Those Blackwater guys are going to be taken care of for their services.

This this link out for current offerings.  It will blow your mind.  They are building in some cases structures they expect people to be able to survive in for decades.

http://www.hardenedstructures.com/fortified-homes.php
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 08:24:25 PM »
Wealthy people all over the world are getting ready right now.  Fortified houses, compounds, survival structures, large agricultural properties, etc.

Yup. Scary stuff--the return to the castle and moat to keep us little buggers out.

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 08:43:45 PM »
Yup. Scary stuff--the return to the castle and moat to keep us little buggers out.

Unless you train up to be one of the Knights who guards the realm or have the skills to support them.  If you are young I recommend Ranger or Special Forces training with a specialty in field medicine.
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 11:02:30 PM »

Unless you train up to be one of the Knights who guards the realm or have the skills to support them.  If you are young I recommend Ranger or Special Forces training with a specialty in field medicine.

I am 40. Too late for that. But I'll try to keep up the fitness and skills (such as they are) to keep the kid alive and kickin! Even if we're just eating grubs.  :o

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 02:21:27 AM »
Let's not forget Umka, the Nuke powered floating dome designed for a population of >5,000.
http://www.thearcticinstitute.org/2011/10/5654-umka-domed-city-in-russian-arctic.html

Terry