Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Cars, cars and more cars Part Deux  (Read 18089 times)

swoozle

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 28
Re: Cars, cars and more cars Part Deux
« Reply #300 on: June 18, 2020, 07:27:46 AM »
My car battery died.
This is not the first time, and my guardian says it’s because I don’t drive it enough. He wants me to drive it about twenty minutes in a parking lot two or three times a week.
Is he right?

Or, if practical for your situation, get a cheap car battery charger and use that to charge the battery up every week or so. No need to burn all that gas to go in circles.

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 568
  • Likes Given: 173
« Reply #301 on: June 18, 2020, 01:11:09 PM »
How does a battery charger work? Do I have to plug in? I live in an apartment style condo with a carport across the parking lot, is this a deal breaker?
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

KiwiGriff

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 399
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #302 on: June 18, 2020, 03:38:48 PM »
If you park outdoors you can get a small solar panel from most auto parts stores or your on line source of choice that will keep your battery topped up .
Just place it on your dash and plug into your cigarette lighter in most cars.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-1163-Maintainer-Controller/dp/B004Q86JJ8?th=1
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 03:44:14 PM by KiwiGriff »

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #303 on: June 19, 2020, 04:55:45 PM »
KiwiGriff:
I suggested that to my guardian and he said, basically, "Hell no!".
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

blumenkraft

• Young ice
  • Fans of Hans Ø Club - circa 2018
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1506
  • Likes Given: 2352
« Reply #304 on: June 19, 2020, 05:29:38 PM »
What? Why??
“I’m an introvert. I’m just different that’s all. I’m so sorry. I don’t have a gun. I don’t do that stuff... All I was trying to do was to become better. I’ll do it... You all are phenomenal. You are beautiful. And I love you. Try to forgive me. I’m sorry.”

Elijah McClain

interstitial

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 119
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #305 on: June 19, 2020, 09:47:40 PM »
I would guess because unless you have a cut out circuit when the battery is fully charged you can cause the battery to explode.

NeilT

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 174
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #306 on: June 20, 2020, 04:58:34 PM »
I would guess because unless you have a cut out circuit when the battery is fully charged you can cause the battery to explode.

If you read the specs, it has an integral charge controller that ensures battery health.

I certainly did as I'm looking for something like this and have had the uncontrolled one where it fries your battery.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

KiwiGriff

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 399
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #307 on: June 20, 2020, 09:57:04 PM »
I made the effort to find one that did. ;)
I use a standard 50 watt panel and a charge controller to keep the boat and tractor battery's healthy as they only get used occasionally and neither actually has a working charge circuit of the motors.

I made the following  assumptions before I made the recommendation.
A car start battery is about 50 amp hours A lead acid car battery loses about 1% of its charge per day.The ten watt panel  I suggested sitting on your car dashboard should give about .5 amps into 13.5 volts (float charge voltage) . You will get an average of about 3 times that in a day so about 1.5 amp hours.

If Toms car is running flat from lack of use it is probably losing another 1% .
So we can presume he is losing 2% of his charge daily giving about an amp hour a day loss.

An extra 0.5 amp hour a day should not kill your start battery as quickly as running it flat on a weekly basis will .

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 10:09:02 PM by KiwiGriff »

interstitial

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 21, 2020, 03:55:46 PM »
Needing the control circuit was just something to be aware of when looking for a solar charger as apparently NielT found out the hard way. Apparently KiwiGriff you put more effort into looking for the best one than I thought of. Tom your guardian is wrong but I would follow his or her advise anyway.

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #309 on: June 21, 2020, 04:18:06 PM »
He says I don’t drive it enough for the gasoline to matter. I think he just hates the idea...he cusses out car charging parking spaces when we are out. And if you think he’s a Neanderthal you should have seen my dad...he was like Archie Bunker.

interstitial

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 21, 2020, 05:51:32 PM »
He says I don’t drive it enough for the gasoline to matter. I think he just hates the idea...he cusses out car charging parking spaces when we are out. And if you think he’s a Neanderthal you should have seen my dad...he was like Archie Bunker.
gasoline does not need an additive if it does not sit in the tank for long. The additive discourages the gasoline from congealing in the tank. Some of the lighter compounds will evaporate lowering the octane of the gasoline. Here is a link they explain it better.
https://repairpal.com/blog/can-gasoline-go-bad#:~:text=If%20gasoline%20sits%20for%20too,burn%20efficiently%20in%20your%20engine.&text=Water%20contamination%3A%20If%20water%20gets,can%20expect%20some%20serious%20problems.

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3144
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #311 on: June 21, 2020, 06:29:43 PM »
To survive Neanderthal's had to make best use of what was available.
Archie Bunkers, on the other hand, go to Trump rallies without benefit of mask and get the "sniffles"..

I think your Guardian gives us a good lesson in why it's been so hard for renewables to become mainstream.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

NeilT

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 174
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #312 on: June 22, 2020, 09:09:21 PM »
Needing the control circuit was just something to be aware of when looking for a solar charger as apparently NielT found out the hard way. Apparently KiwiGriff you put more effort into looking for the best one than I thought of. Tom your guardian is wrong but I would follow his or her advise anyway.

In my defence I bought it about 15 years ago and used it for 3 months.

In later testing I found that full sun in the French summer pushes out 24v for about 2-3 hours.

I did find it useful for bringing discharged batteries up to a point where a smart charger would push some current into it.  About a 50% success rate.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein