Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Climate Change: A fundamental shift of our place in the world.  (Read 2847 times)

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
5. Dr. Ricky Rood, Professor
2:23 PM GMT on March 15, 2014    +2   
Quoting 4. OldLeatherneck:
Dr. Rood,

.................................Not many elected leaders are going to publicly declare that they are willing to risk another depression just to mitigate a problem that too many influential people refuse to admit is an even greater threat to civilization.

I am certain that AGW/CC is an Existential Threat to Humanity!!

Hi,

I'd be interested in knowing what you and yours think of this piece:

Climate Change: A fundamental shift of our place in the world. In the Michigan Journal of Sustainability
http://graham.umich.edu/mjs/2014/03/the-conversation-climate-change-a-fundamental-shift-of-our-place-in-the-world/#comment-1092

This morning I provided a rather lengthy response to Dr. Ricky Rood's latest Climate Blog entry "No Energy Policy and Even Less Climate Policy" http://www.wunderground.com/blog/RickyRood/comment.html?entrynum=290 at Wunderground.  Shortly thereafter, I got a reply from Dr. Rood asking for my opinion, and that of my colleagues (here at ASIF, I assume) about a separate piece, "Climate Change: A fundamental shift of our place in the world" he has written for the Michigan Journal of Sustainability.  (See links in above Quotes)

I've only had a chance to read the piece one time, however, I believe it well worth the time to read again and expand the discussions here in this Forum.

Clearly, we are at a very critical nexus of Climate Policy and Energy Policy. We can no longer have independent Climate & Energy Policies. Energy Policies must account for the imminent (5-10 years) and eventual (decades/centuries) consequences of unabated Climate Change. Conversely, Climate Policies must reflect society's requirements for reliable and adequate sources of energy. Not an easy task on either front.

I'm opening this topic to further these critical discussions.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:43:10 PM by OldLeatherneck »
"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama

icebgone

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
Re: Climate Change: A fundamental shift of our place in the world.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 12:29:58 AM »
Dr. Rood has it right.  We have reached the point at which short term strategies trump long term strategies.  IMHO, short term strategies are the only politically correct strategy. Big political campaign contributors speak loudly and persistently, drowning out all other voices.  Only a groundswell of overwhelming volume, (read that as a disaster of unprecedented effect), could break through the cacophony of uncertainty that currently exists in political decision making. 

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 01:08:36 AM »
OLN

I've pretty well given up on Dr. Rood's blog due to the lack of meaningful moderating. For someone who obviously cares about getting the message right & getting the message out it boggles my mind that he seems incapable of directing his moderators to crack down on crack pots.

The Canadian Government has silenced not only Canadian scientists, but also scientists from abroad who make use of our facilities to advance their knowledge. Do not think that the next administration, or the one that follows that could not do the same in the US.

Silencing scientific voices is a draconian measure & indicates just how powerful the scientific message is in the minds of politicians bent on drilling, digging and burning arguably the dirtiest fossil fuel imaginable. I don't think these political minds are wrong. The scientific community has a long and strong history of speaking truth to power & industrialists as well as their bought politicians are aware of this.

The Scientific community must get it's message out now, before their lips are sealed by those that fear the message. Hansen, Mann and others have been at the forefront, but every credentialed academic owes his community the truth. We paid for their education through our taxes & in return  we deserve to have the truth shouted from the rooftops of every institute of higher learning around the world.

This will undoubtedly cause personal hardship for some. It is however a price that we have every right to demand. We send young men out to fight wars, others to quell riots. Scientists, most of whom have made a decent living thanks in part to donations society has made must be forthcoming with the knowledge they have acquired.

Terry

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 04:13:46 AM »
OLN

I've pretty well given up on Dr. Rood's blog due to the lack of meaningful moderating. For someone who obviously cares about getting the message right & getting the message out it boggles my mind that he seems incapable of directing his moderators to crack down on crack pots.

Terry

Terry,

Thanks for your very strong and valuable insights.  I have cross posted your comments in their entirety.  My comments to Dr. Rood are below:

Dr. Rood,

You asked for opinions and thoughts from a broader audience. Here is one from my friend TerryM who has in the past commented on this blog. He is a highly respected commenter on the Arctic Sea Ice Forum, and an individual who I have enjoyed collaborating with on other climate related communication projects.

What we are facing as a civilization is too important to placate the deniers who pose as "enquiring minds.
"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama