Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Antarctic Images  (Read 37010 times)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
Re: Antarctic images
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2018, 10:03:22 AM »
Welcome back Susan.
We are all hoping that ASLR makes a comeback.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2019, 10:57:25 AM »
Eulagisca gigantea, a giant polynoid worm also known as an Antarctic scale worm, is a species of marine polychaete worm belonging to the family Polynoidae, the scale worms. This species is found on the seabed in the Southern Ocean

Link >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eulagisca_gigantea

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39

magnamentis

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2019, 12:45:15 AM »

bligh8

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2019, 07:42:10 PM »
Our aquatic friends appear to b a little nervous

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile

blumenkraft

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2019, 04:27:55 PM »
How did that happen?  ;D

baking

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2019, 04:57:57 PM »
How did that happen?  ;D

Iceberg broke and took the sea ice with it.  Sometimes the tail wags the dog.

blumenkraft

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2019, 05:12:58 PM »
Sometimes the tail wags the dog.
Haha, yeah! It looks like it. :)

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2019, 10:17:27 PM »
Leewaves at Peter I. Øy in the SE Pacific.

Peter I. Øy's highest peak (Lars Christensentoppen) is 1640 m asl. It is of course high enough to interfere with the WSW wind on Oct. 8, 2019.

See attached picture, coming from EOSDIS Worldview. The whole picture contains an area of around 400 km x 210 km.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 10:28:11 PM by Stephan »
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

blumenkraft

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2019, 03:33:50 PM »
Just some melting ice.

(You want to click it)

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2020, 05:16:34 PM »
Extraordinary Purple ‘Mother of Pearl’ Clouds Illuminate the Arctic
https://www.spaceweather.com/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/12/31/extraordinary-purple-mother-pear-clouds-illuminate-arctic/

Nacreous, also known as “mother of pearl,” and other kinds of “polar stratospheric” clouds are somewhat rare. Witnessing displays this extraordinary can be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Readers shared their incredible photos with https://www.spaceweather.com/  editor Tony Phillips, who noted that the display is ongoing.

“Once in a Lifetime” Polar Stratospheric Clouds
https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2019/12/31/once-in-a-lifetime-polar-stratospheric-clouds/

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2163
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2020, 11:35:25 PM »
Antarctic
Endurance swimmer Lewis Pugh swims under an ice sheet. Pugh, 50, swam for 10 minutes and 17 seconds in the river underneath the melting ice sheet in an attempt to raise awareness of the climate crisis at the poles

Photograph: Lewis Pugh/PA
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2020/jan/25/20-photographs-of-the-week

blumenkraft

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2020, 01:26:38 PM »
An iceberg from above and below, Antarctica Peninsula, by @danielbenjaminphoto.

philopek

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2020, 07:02:28 PM »
Hey @all,

this time hopefully in the right thread.

Pictures were taken in the Caldera/Crater of "Deception Island" formerly used for ore mining, later destroyed through an eruption of the volcano and nowadays only used for seismological and other antarctic science stations.

enjoy, credit goes to an old friend of mine from Switzerland.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 11:34:56 PM by philopek »

philopek

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2020, 07:03:53 PM »
next 4

philopek

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2020, 07:05:14 PM »
and another 4

philopek

« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2020, 07:07:45 PM »
2nd last set of 3 + 1 map

philopek

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2020, 07:08:58 PM »
2 maps with different zoom levels

blumenkraft

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2020, 07:14:49 PM »
Amazing!

Thanks so much for sharing, Philopek!

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2020, 09:06:20 PM »
Philopek, thank you for sharing these images with us. Deception Island would be one of the destinations I'd like to visit if I ever travelled into that area. The pictures look so weird, strange and unnatural. I think, if somebody would have invented such an island for a adventure story many people would say "This map, this island, this bay is completely unrealistic".
Did you know that the crater bay allows tousists from time to time to have a swim? The still active volcano beneath it heats up the water temperature.
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2020, 08:45:36 AM »
^^
Could Deception Island be the remnant an impact crater?

It  would be nice to ban the Antarctic area for tourists. Otherwise this last 'pristine' place will be spoiled and contaminated fast.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

blumenkraft

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2020, 09:07:01 AM »
ban the Antarctic area for tourists

You have my vote, Nanning!  :D

philopek

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2020, 11:18:19 AM »
always those extremes, which BTW is why there is war on this planet.

why can you guys never consider a healthy middle-way?

why banning, why not implementing quotas, limitations by time of year, number of vessels, size of vessels, mooring allowed or not number of people, etc. etc.

bans are never a good solution, why should we keep the planet intact if we cannot live on it to protect it? I restrict sugar, alcohol, meat, and many other inputs but would never BAN just for the sake of feeling just or great. i love sweets, hence i consume sugar, but not more than 12g average per day (not counting LOL) it's a irrelevant example but at least one.

people who opt for extremes in the name of the good have often in the past been the soil and ground for later huge conflicts. Consider that !

And then sometimes i consider to make donations to some of the loudest poor who demand to get back to the roots with our life-styles and see how long their restrictive life-style continues with a few thousand bucks in the drawer on in the account. i'm sure in 99% of all cases not as long as they thought while being poor. What I'm saying is that it's easy to buy nothing if one has no money, while for someone who loves all the crazy fast and expensive toys like myself it's really hard to say no if it's possible to say yes. I say this just to share the view from another angle.

IMO those with extreme view ultimately get nowhere, not even to the point that would be as good is one can get, because opposition tends to take a stance and lose readiness for compromise if the demands are to one sided and/or too restrictive. Like so often the best possible lays in the middle and if we do not want to seek the perfect middle-way, there remains nothing but to reduce world-population and now someone tell me how that should work without uproar all over the place (or dictatorship)

SOLOMON IS GREETING, become wise and smart, not demanding the impossible, just to appear to be a nice and just person, with a collapse at the very end as seen and suffered so many times in the past. Bragging with being nice has the same root like bragging with a big car or other stuff, it's a form of self-profiling that ends in the exactly same disaster like any other form of it. Think about all the evil that has been and still is done in the name of "GOD" just to have a nice sounding motive to perform all the ego-centric evil things.

To stay on topic, here come the next series of images, perhaps the last ones because "Cape Hoorn" is at the very edge of what can go through as the arctic if not beyond and without my tourist friend, there would be no images to post.

Images are made in the "Drake Passage" around "Cape Hoorn" at the most southern tip of the South American Continent.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:46:09 AM by philopek »

philopek

« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2020, 11:20:00 AM »
next 4

philopek

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2020, 11:28:08 AM »
last 4

blumenkraft

« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2020, 12:41:37 PM »
why banning

'Why not banning' seems the logical question to ask here.

Answer: So that some (privileged) rich folks can go there for the giggles and pollute there also.

Now, why would someone other than that tiny group want it?

philopek

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2020, 09:34:37 PM »
A few last ones because they're so nice and there is at least ice ;)

philopek

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2020, 09:36:09 PM »
4 more

philopek

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2020, 10:24:25 PM »
map

blumenkraft

« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2020, 11:58:37 AM »

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2020, 03:32:51 PM »
What a great picture blumenkraft! It looks like a polar bear is sitting on top. Maybe it is on holiday ;)

Quote from: philopek
What I'm saying is that it's easy to buy nothing if one has no money, while for someone who loves all the crazy fast and expensive toys like myself it's really hard to say no if it's possible to say yes. I say this just to share the view from another angle.

It is important to have very few 'wants'. You can train yourself and the easiest way to do that is to become material/money-poor.
Sometimes I walk into a supermarket with the intention to buy some nice snack but every time I just wander around and can't think of anything.
Not watching/listening to ANY advertisements makes you much less vulnerable to the temptation to buy.
Discipline!

Quote from: philopek
why banning

Dear philopek, not to start a discussion in this thread, but a ban on tourists for nature reserves is not going to lead to war. I think you are a bit overreacting.
Tourism is an insanely destructive commercial enterprise. Responsible for enormous carbon footprints and lowering of quality of life for many people that live in old cities and elsewhere. Their living place is changed for the worse because of local government and commerce demands. People from far away are apparently more important than the people who actually live there. Tourism is one of the reasons that I moved out of Amsterdam. All character has gone. The same happened to the small city where I was born "Franeker": Destructive changes to lure the tourist to make money. As if local government is a for-profit business.
Nobody needs a non-local holiday. Tourism didn't exist before 1900. It has to go. Also non-commercial tourism for very rich people on their private yachts.
Pristine places on Earth are dwindling into non-existence. Antarctica is one of the very last ones. Tourism will spoil it. Leave the penguins and whales alone please.

I propose another ban: No fishing around Antarctica. None.

End of off-topic.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

blumenkraft

« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2020, 04:14:15 PM »
... polar bear is sitting on top....

Awwww <3

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2020, 05:46:59 PM »
Nobody needs a non-local holiday. Tourism didn't exist before 1900. 
Nanning - while I very much get your point about tourism causing environmental and social problems, please don't bend facts to serve opinions. It made me continue the OT streak.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism
Travel for leisure already existed in 1500BC. Large scale tourism in 1600 (Grand Tour of Europe), mass tourism with the railroads.
It's true though that tourism (and its damage) has been on a sharp growth curve in the last century. And that the rich have always been touring more than the poor.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2020, 06:55:23 PM »
I'm sorry that you think I am bending facts oren. I stand by my opinion and give a short reply here to not derail this thread.

How many very rich were in the world before 1900? That year is not meant to be exact, sorry. I'd have thought others would understand what I mean, seeing the enormous explosion of rich people since 1900. Now we have rich countries where most people are rich (enough).
I don't count those pre-1900 rich people's travels, adventures and exploration as tourism.
I have many more things to say about this because it is part of my understanding (from research) of why our society is as it is. All the new rich people wanting to copy the insane behaviour of the aristocracy because that is seen as 'the good life'. The insane hobbies of aristocrats are now normal behaviour. e.g. Owning a private car, mowing the lawn, tidiness, pet dogs.
I know you will likely disagree dear oren. I wish I could talk with you in real life.

From your link: "undertaken by mainly upper-class European young men of means"  (Grand Tour)

My last off-topic post on this subject in this thread. My apologies for starting this.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2020, 08:46:55 PM »
I would ban banning, and not preoccupy myself over other's possessions. This is off-topic & we need more awesome pics, so do not reply - discipline!
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
Re: Antarctic Images
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2023, 09:30:46 AM »

A pair of canoeists are dwarfed by a breaching whale as they take part in a whale-watching trip in Antarctica

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2023, 10:26:39 AM »

Three seals rest on one of the only remaining floes of sea ice in the Bellingshausen Sea, Antarctica, surrounded by a chaotic melange of smaller ice blocks. A capsized iceberg, scarred in rivulets by underside melting, dwarfs the seals. The shape of the iceberg provides enough shelter for smaller pancakes of new sea ice to form inside its own melt pond.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2023/jun/08/coral-slime-burning-trees-and-hope-earth-photo-2023-shortlist-in-pictures

kiwichick16

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2023, 11:09:40 AM »
amazing photo  ...... the upside down iceberg looks like a painting

John_the_Younger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 131

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2023, 10:31:02 AM »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2023, 05:39:08 PM »
Cool effect. Oh and the night sky ain´t bad either.  ;)
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2023, 12:22:59 PM »

An Adelie penguin approaches an emperor penguin and its chick during feeding time in Antarctica’s Atka Bay.

From https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2023/nov/29/wildlife-photographer-of-the-year-peoples-choice-2023

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2023, 08:24:10 PM »
Cool picture. The sea and ice look like a somewhat desaturated lave flow!
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2023, 11:18:02 PM »

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2024, 11:15:24 PM »

Ice formations on the Antarctic peninsula, captured in 2005
Photograph: Sebastião Salgado.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/gallery/2024/feb/08/i-photographed-the-world-the-art-of-sebastiao-salgado-in-pictures