Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Meat Consumption and Global Warming  (Read 34631 times)

TerryM

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Meat Consumption and Global Warming
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2019, 08:06:12 AM »
No more sausages??. They will die!!  How about a soil welfare tax? All that planting has an equal negative result? And ocean welfare tax? Fish will suffer greatly when they stop eating meat?  I prefer meat in a lab as a solution!
You're certainly more than welcome to my allotted share.

How do you feel about tripe soup? ???
Terry

nanning

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 2100
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2019, 09:55:47 AM »
Meat tax

Guess what kind of people will no longer be able to afford to eat meat?
No, not the high carbon footprint ones!

A solution:
Why not convert all intensive agri-business to completely organic (agroforestry) farming?
Because those people lobby, scream and bite and are friends with 'important' people.

The 'other people' are silently enduring ever more abusive policies. Neoliberalism yeah: make all poor and good people deprived and suffering. Out of sight, out of mind.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly"

blumenkraft

• Frazil ice
  • Fans of Hans Club - circa 2018
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2019, 06:03:57 PM »
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

Villabolo

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Global Warming Basics
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2019, 06:21:58 PM »
No more sausages??. They will die!!  How about a soil welfare tax? All that planting has an equal negative result? And ocean welfare tax? Fish will suffer greatly when they stop eating meat?  I prefer meat in a lab as a solution!

Terry

Mexicans have a tripe dish called Menudo, made of beef tripe and hominy, which is a favorite of mine. It's part of my emergency canned food stockpile. :P
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 01:51:17 PM by Villabolo »

TerryM

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2019, 12:48:26 AM »

Terry

Mexicans have a tripe dish called Menudo, made of beef tripe and hominy, which is a favorite of mine. It's part of my emergency stockpile. :P

Actually Menudo has been a favorite of mine since my So. California days. The Mexican dishes offered in So. Ontario are a strange mixture of Caribbean Mexican, So. Mexico Mexican and an almost inedible, uninspired & unspiced  Canadian Mexican Tradition. Who puts black beans, white rice and cheddar cheese in Mexican food?

Menudo for some reason hasn't made it across the Canadian border, or at least into the little part of So. Ontario where I dine.  It's one of my favorites, though I've never attempted to cook it. The spicing of Menudo is traditionally left to the consumer and can vary greatly. - often with the severity of ones hangover being a factor. ::)

I was using "tripe" in a throw away line to trying to indicate a meat dish that most would see as revolting.

Probably not my greatest culinary/literary allusion. ???
Terry

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 280
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2019, 01:08:03 AM »
It also sees mileage in Vietnamese pho.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

TerryM

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2019, 02:37:01 AM »
It also sees mileage in Vietnamese pho.

I had no idea!

We've a very good Vietnamese rest. in town - next time I'm out and about I'll see what they offer.

Thanks
Terry

nanning

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2019, 05:18:53 AM »
Meat tax
A carbon tax!
And make the tax revenues flow to low carbon footprint people. I might get rich! .. Oh nooo   ::) ;D
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly"

Villabolo

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Global Warming Basics
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2019, 02:26:32 PM »

Terry

Mexicans have a tripe dish called Menudo, made of beef tripe and hominy, which is a favorite of mine. It's part of my emergency stockpile. :P

Actually Menudo has been a favorite of mine since my So. California days. The Mexican dishes offered in So. Ontario are a strange mixture of Caribbean Mexican, So. Mexico Mexican and an almost inedible, uninspired & unspiced  Canadian Mexican Tradition. Who puts black beans, white rice and cheddar cheese in Mexican food?

Menudo for some reason hasn't made it across the Canadian border, or at least into the little part of So. Ontario where I dine.  It's one of my favorites, though I've never attempted to cook it. The spicing of Menudo is traditionally left to the consumer and can vary greatly. - often with the severity of ones hangover being a factor. ::)

I was using "tripe" in a throw away line to trying to indicate a meat dish that most would see as revolting.

Probably not my greatest culinary/literary allusion. ???
Terry

Then there's chicken gizzard soup. You can throw in some chicken neck-bones to add more flavor. I've also eaten cow brains and tongue. They're Cuban delicacies.

I didn't like the brains. Not so much the flavor or appearance but the texture. Beef tongue isn't too bad.

nanning

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2019, 05:33:17 PM »
Beef tongue is great. I loved it. We always had it for christmas in my childhood, the whole thing boiled and cut in slices. With mushroom sauce. I don't eat much meat anymore. Also stopped drinking milk. And coffee.
Sorry for the off-topic.

edit: Of course I only eat organic meat.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:04:29 PM by nanning »

TerryM

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2019, 11:05:42 AM »
Beef tongue is great. I loved it. We always had it for christmas in my childhood, the whole thing boiled and cut in slices. With mushroom sauce. I don't eat much meat anymore. Also stopped drinking milk. And coffee.
Sorry for the off-topic.

edit: Of course I only eat organic meat.
Calves brains scrambled with eggs, Cold tongue sandwiches, Steak and kidney pie, Beef-Heart, Menudo  - toss out the rest of the beast!

Fried chicken gizzard and with pickled pigs feet washed down with live oysters and Ale.

After Sashimi I've never understood why the west cooks anything from the ocean. :)

Where has this thread gone?
Terry

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2019, 07:47:50 PM »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/red-meat-local-farmer-ottawa-1.5244343
Farmers say people can still take a bite out of climate change while eating red meat, pushing back against global headlines calling for major changes to the world's farming and eating habits.
It may be a convenient argument for a beef farmer to make, but there is merit to it, according to Ryan Katz-Rosene, a University of Ottawa professor who is the president of the Environmental Studies Association of Canada. He also lives on a farm that produces sheep for meat and wool.

SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS