Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Cli Fi  (Read 23480 times)

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 119
  • Likes Given: 28
Re: Cli Fi
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2019, 04:07:08 AM »
Has there been any good cli-fi since Nov 2015?
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Archimid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 197
  • Likes Given: 162
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2019, 04:47:34 AM »
I wouldn't call it a good movie, but Io in Netflix has very good cli-fi. Worst case scenario stuff. 
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Poldergeist

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 15
Cli-fi suggestions
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2019, 02:30:00 PM »
Hello fellow ASIF posters,

I am looking for new reads which help me imagine the consequences of the oncoming crises. Especially fiction. I have found some books which I thought were good:

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
The Wall - John Lanchester
Water Knife - Paolo Bacigalupi

I know there's even a wiki entry for the genre, but I did not find the list of examples very interesting.

As far as non-fiction goes, I guess I have read quite a few of the most popular books. I did find 'six degrees' by Mark Lynas very helpful in imagining different futures.

Anyway, suggestions for further reading much appreciated.

Poldergeist
---
living at the bottom of a former sea

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 609
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2019, 04:11:06 PM »
Poldergeist, I've added your comment to this thread on Cli-fi that already existed. If you read back, I'm sure you'll find some suggestions.
Il faut comparer, comparer, comparer, et cultiver notre jardin

Poldergeist

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2019, 04:15:53 PM »
Thanks!

Sebastian Jones

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2019, 06:01:42 PM »
Hello fellow ASIF posters,

I am looking for new reads which help me imagine the consequences of the oncoming crises. Especially fiction. I have found some books which I thought were good:

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
The Wall - John Lanchester
Water Knife - Paolo Bacigalupi

I know there's even a wiki entry for the genre, but I did not find the list of examples very interesting.

As far as non-fiction goes, I guess I have read quite a few of the most popular books. I did find 'six degrees' by Mark Lynas very helpful in imagining different futures.

Anyway, suggestions for further reading much appreciated.

Poldergeist
---
living at the bottom of a former sea

You have already listed this author, Paulo Bacigalupi, I recently read his "Windup Girl" and liked it more than I expected to. I find that as one learns more about potential climate futures, as is inevitable for regulars on this Forum, fewer and fewer CliFi writers stand up. Bacigalupi does. IMHOP.

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 119
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2019, 12:46:50 AM »
Environmental crisis is the backdrop of Margaret Atwood’s dystopian storyline. "The air got too full, once, of chemicals, rays, radiation, the water swarmed with toxic molecules," Offred tells the reader. She's describing The Republic of Gilead, a totalitarian state that arose out of environmental chaos, including nuclear war, waste producing uncontrollable radiation, toxic pollution, and ecosystem breakdown. "Meanwhile [these toxins] creep into your body, camp out in your fatty cells," Offred says. "Who knows, your very flesh may be polluted, dirty as an oily beach, sure death to shore birds and unborn babies." Just as the pollution infects beaches and animals, it affects bodies too, severely damaging the ability of people with uteruses to reproduce. With the very future of humankind thrown into question, those who can reproduce — primarily cis women — are forced to bear children for the wealthy ruling class of men.
https://www.bustle.com/p/the-handmaids-tale-is-trying-to-warn-you-about-climate-change-18667636
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS