Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Cli Fi  (Read 36211 times)

Tom_Mazanec

Re: Cli Fi
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2019, 04:07:08 AM »
Has there been any good cli-fi since Nov 2015?

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2019, 04:47:34 AM »
I wouldn't call it a good movie, but Io in Netflix has very good cli-fi. Worst case scenario stuff. 
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Poldergeist

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 20
Cli-fi suggestions
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2019, 02:30:00 PM »
Hello fellow ASIF posters,

I am looking for new reads which help me imagine the consequences of the oncoming crises. Especially fiction. I have found some books which I thought were good:

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
The Wall - John Lanchester
Water Knife - Paolo Bacigalupi

I know there's even a wiki entry for the genre, but I did not find the list of examples very interesting.

As far as non-fiction goes, I guess I have read quite a few of the most popular books. I did find 'six degrees' by Mark Lynas very helpful in imagining different futures.

Anyway, suggestions for further reading much appreciated.

Poldergeist
---
living at the bottom of a former sea

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2019, 04:11:06 PM »
Poldergeist, I've added your comment to this thread on Cli-fi that already existed. If you read back, I'm sure you'll find some suggestions.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Poldergeist

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2019, 04:15:53 PM »
Thanks!

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2019, 06:01:42 PM »
Hello fellow ASIF posters,

I am looking for new reads which help me imagine the consequences of the oncoming crises. Especially fiction. I have found some books which I thought were good:

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
The Wall - John Lanchester
Water Knife - Paolo Bacigalupi

I know there's even a wiki entry for the genre, but I did not find the list of examples very interesting.

As far as non-fiction goes, I guess I have read quite a few of the most popular books. I did find 'six degrees' by Mark Lynas very helpful in imagining different futures.

Anyway, suggestions for further reading much appreciated.

Poldergeist
---
living at the bottom of a former sea

You have already listed this author, Paulo Bacigalupi, I recently read his "Windup Girl" and liked it more than I expected to. I find that as one learns more about potential climate futures, as is inevitable for regulars on this Forum, fewer and fewer CliFi writers stand up. Bacigalupi does. IMHOP.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2019, 12:46:50 AM »
Environmental crisis is the backdrop of Margaret Atwood’s dystopian storyline. "The air got too full, once, of chemicals, rays, radiation, the water swarmed with toxic molecules," Offred tells the reader. She's describing The Republic of Gilead, a totalitarian state that arose out of environmental chaos, including nuclear war, waste producing uncontrollable radiation, toxic pollution, and ecosystem breakdown. "Meanwhile [these toxins] creep into your body, camp out in your fatty cells," Offred says. "Who knows, your very flesh may be polluted, dirty as an oily beach, sure death to shore birds and unborn babies." Just as the pollution infects beaches and animals, it affects bodies too, severely damaging the ability of people with uteruses to reproduce. With the very future of humankind thrown into question, those who can reproduce — primarily cis women — are forced to bear children for the wealthy ruling class of men.
https://www.bustle.com/p/the-handmaids-tale-is-trying-to-warn-you-about-climate-change-18667636

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2019, 07:41:35 PM »
How climate fiction is helping people understand the planet's uncertain future
https://www.mic.com/p/how-climate-fiction-is-helping-people-understand-the-planets-uncertain-future-18804402
With the effects of climate change looming, it only makes sense that we'll need more ways to help us understand how our world is changing. We need tools that speak to us beyond the science textbook, which for some, just might require a deep dive into the world of fiction.
Some promising titles are mentioned in the article.

sqwazw

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2019, 03:29:29 AM »
Kim Stanley Robinson has been mentioned a few time upthread already.

I'd really recommend his New York 2140 as a good portrayal about how sea level rise may realise, (his idea of three 'pulse' events is a hypnotic concept.).

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2019, 05:05:31 AM »
John Wyndham's "The Chrysalids" is a post nuclear apocalypse tale, where the island of Newfoundland is as warm as present day Maryland. It is one of the first books that I read that really made me want to read more by an author.

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2019, 04:16:36 PM »
Just finished Naomi Oreskes’ The Collapse of Western Civilization. More of a short story. Interesting nonetheless.
And, given a story to enact in which the world is a foe to be conquered, they will conquer it like a foe, and one day, inevitably, their foe will lie bleeding to death at their feet, as the world is now.
- Ishmael

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2019, 08:18:18 PM »
For Some Horror Writers, Nothing Is Scarier Than a Changing Planet
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/19/books/review/eco-horror-annihilation-jeff-vandermeer-chernobyl.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/climate&action=click&contentCollection=climate&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=3&pgtype=sectionfront
“Why does climate change cast a much smaller shadow on literature than it does on the world?” asked the novelist Amitav Ghosh, writing in The Guardian in 2016. “Is it perhaps too wild a stream to be navigated in the accustomed barques of narration?” Ghosh cited just a handful of prominent climate-change novels by authors like Barbara Kingsolver, Margaret Atwood and T. Coraghessan Boyle, lamenting what he perceived as a general failure of literary imagination. We could add to his list more recent work by John Lanchester (“The Wall”) and Richard Powers (“The Overstory”), but Ghosh’s larger point remains: A world in climate free-fall, marked by the outlandish and the improbable — freakish hurricanes, droughts, fires, heat waves and flash floods — is “not easily accommodated in the deliberately prosaic world of serious prose fiction.”
But horror is turning to this topic.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2019, 01:17:06 PM »
That paragon of techno- optimism, Analog Science Fiction, has a couple good AGW stories in its Nov-Dec 2019 issue.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2019, 02:50:24 PM »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2019, 06:30:55 AM »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2020, 07:44:59 PM »
Analog September/October 2020 Vol. CXXXX No. 9 & 10
has a short story THE WRITHING TENTACLES OF HISTORY, Jay Werkheiser set 67 million years in the future in a world where octopi have evolved a scientific civilization in the wake of the Sixth Mass Extinction caused by AGW. They debate whether humans were intelligent.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2021, 07:12:00 PM »
Asimov's Mar-Apr 2021.
Gr andma +5° C

About the only thing that united the fragmented country was hatred of the greedy generation responsible for all their problems. Rangers still tracked boomers trying to evade incarceration in the protective detention camps...

"Don't you be judging, honey. It was a different time, different values. Everybody was dumb and happy. None of us knew it was going to be this bad. Hey, I was better than most. I recycled, drove electric. Who do you think put the windmills on the hill? And I never voted for those assholes. But just because I was born in 1955 and made some nice money and took care of myself, bullies like this want to chase me down and drag me off to some camp...I got out once, and no way I'm going back to sleep on concrete floors and wait in line for outhouses.

trm1958

• Frazil ice
  • Will civilization survive Climate Breakdown?
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2021, 12:44:27 PM »

trm1958

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2022, 06:20:14 PM »
Sep-Oct 2022 Asimov’s Science Fiction has a short story titled “Sparrows”  by Susan Palwick about hypercanes.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 06:29:54 PM by trm1958 »

trm1958

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2022, 04:44:47 PM »

swoozle

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2022, 07:14:42 AM »

trm1958

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2022, 03:05:41 PM »

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2022, 02:06:18 AM »
It would be great to include a little review along with the title and the link!
I have a  kind of love /hate thing with KSR because I'm so dubious about the science he uses, notably in the 40 Days, 50 below etc. series. His description of the results of an AMOC breakdown (and its 'solution' were, frankly, ridiculous. Similarly the sea level rise in the book set in flooded Manhattan.
I loved the Mars trilogy though.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2022, 02:37:44 PM »
I second that idea.

It never really bothered me in 40 days. The science is quite unlikely but that just means they have to change less to make it a Hollywood movie.  ;)

Still have to read the other parts and indeed the Mars stuff. At the time climate related fiction was rare in the mainstream so that alone was good.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

trm1958

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2022, 01:32:52 PM »
The Precedent
By Sean McMullen
Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction
July/August 2010 (available on Kindle Unlimited)
2035 AD and Gen-Z is putting on trial their elders for causing the climate breakdown.
Capital punishment or worse for the vast majority.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2022, 06:39:57 PM »
2010 so intended as a cautionary tale? Have you read it recently and does it work as a story?
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

trm1958

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2022, 10:07:58 PM »
2010 so intended as a cautionary tale? Have you read it recently and does it work as a story?

It was quite chilling. Of all of us on the ASIF, only nanning would have had any chance at all to avoid execution (you are on one end of a plank, a pile of coal is on the other end...coal removed one lump at a time. You teeter for a few seconds and then plunge down the mine shaft). Millions and millions of Boomers, Xers and Millennials have already been executed or other wise punished. I am using my KU account to go over back issues of F&SF which is why I just read it now.

Here is a nice guide:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GlobalWarming

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2022, 12:33:30 PM »
That seems rather slow and they still use coal...i don´t think suspension of disbelief works here for me. The problem for gen Z is that they are born into this world so they are automatically complicit especially if you just lead a normal live instead of a really eco friendly one.

trm1958

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2022, 07:18:32 PM »
They don't burn coal, and the slowness was not a bug...it was a feature.
The coal symbolized the GHGs the "Tipper" (anyone born before 2000) had been responsible for. The execution was not intended to be merciful.

trm1958

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2023, 02:03:23 PM »
Once You Start
Mike Morgan
Best of British Science Fiction 2019

The United States is flying special aircraft to spread sulfur aerosols in the upper atmosphere to counteract AGW which is reaching critical levels. However, a side effect (which the US is quite happy to have) is causing drought in China and putting the world on the brink of war.

swoozle

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2023, 07:33:37 AM »
The Deluge by Stephen Markley

"Stephen Markley’s bracing, beguiling, uneven new novel, “The Deluge,” tracks a cadre of radicalized scientists and activists from the gathering storm of the Obama years to the super-typhoons of the 2040s. The dystopia is realistic and nuanced, grim but playful, setting Markley’s book apart from the tsunami of recent climate-change literature...."
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/10/books/review/stephen-markley-deluge.html

Even though the book is ungodly long (900 pages), it is intriguing enough that I had to finish it. The progression of climatic consequences of warming and the ensuing political and economic chaos are gripping and semi-believable, in part because the book was just published this year and uses post-Trump America (and the world) as its starting point. Markley's near term predictions seem depressingly reasonable. It gets wilder quickly, with a US (and world) that is like a fun-house mirror reflection of today by the mid-30's. There's a lot to argue with in terms of the rapidity of his world's climate degradation, but it's an interesting look at one of our potential paths.
I hope he's wrong.

Re: the length. In my opinion it would have been a much better read at half the length. The last third was a slog. Many pages were skimmed in my determination to see how it all ended.