Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Graphing methane data  (Read 6433 times)

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Graphing methane data
« on: September 17, 2014, 07:58:37 PM »
Fingers itching to graph the CH4 situation, but how to do it?

I need your help here! I love Google Charts, so presentation software is fairly settled, but I need DATA. Where to get it? What is a) reliable (stable), b) available and c) relevant? Being a Nordic person, I am of course mostly interested in the Arctic and impacts on temperature, night sky etc in Scandinavia, but as a spin-off I guess also Antarctica would be cool(!) to include.

I must say I'm pretty confused already by flask samples from different heights, extreme outliers (measurements so high they border on tech error), daily means and point (moment) readings.

Please share your perspectives on what would be interesting and relevant to graph for my/our purposes on this forum.

Thank you! :)
[]

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: Graphing methane data
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:30:56 PM »
You know http://www.methanetracker.org/    do you ?

If you do not find what you are looking for here, you may ask them they know pretty well about methane.

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 01:00:50 AM »
Thx, Laurent. Will check it out. Also found a South Pole ch4 measurement station by browsing the permafrost forum. I also found a Norwegian station on Svalbard, plus the Mauna Loa one, although that's too near the Equator to be of real interest.
[]

CraigsIsland

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 02:01:26 AM »
Thx, Laurent. Will check it out. Also found a South Pole ch4 measurement station by browsing the permafrost forum. I also found a Norwegian station on Svalbard, plus the Mauna Loa one, although that's too near the Equator to be of real interest.

It'd be interesting to be able to overlay over a Google Earth layer with 3D cross sections and timelines. Of course that may be a lot of work but maybe there's data sets readily available for certain locations and go from there

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 09:34:38 PM »
Craig, I'm thinking long time series, not competing with MT in making Google Earth layers. Years and months, not geography, if you will. So I'm mainly asking for links to measuring stations, plus some advice when it comes to ground level measurements, 500 meter, 1 km etc. What is most relevant/interesting?
[]

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 06:37:24 PM »
I'm also looking for ways to calculate rough estimates for ice volume from *daily* available sources, thickness + area, and hoping for advice as to the best sources for such calculations.
[]

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 01:11:05 AM »
OK, well, guess I won't be doing that, then.

Back to the methane graphing/data question: What would really be interesting is data sources that could support (or dispute) a link between the YAE (yearly average extent) of sea ice and subsea methane releases. Is there a threshold — possibly crossed in 2007 — beyond which huge amounts of methane have been released in the past? And can we use the same data series to see if the same thing happens when we go below this level in 2015 and 2016?

For this I would need a somewhat centrally placed methane measurement point in the Arctic sea, with a long time data series. But I would also need for people to know of such data series to say so and alert me here. I don't believe methane scenarios are so hushed up that no–one dares write a reply in this thread?
[]

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 07:37:44 AM »
This project may be just the thing I'm looking for. Covering Norwegian and Siberian parts of the Arctic oceans.

[]

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 05:44:25 PM »
Finland
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/webdata/iadv/ccgg/graphs/pdfs/ccgg.PAL.ch4.1.none.discrete.all.pdf

from
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/dv/iadv/index.php

other sites include Barrow, Alert, Svalbard, Tiksi...

global distribution

For longer record: Mauna loa

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 08:07:54 PM »
Nah, looks a bit alarmy, you must be one of dem alarmy–schmarmy types. Not my cup of tea :)
[]