Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Cars, cars and more cars Part Deux  (Read 73956 times)

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 422
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Cars, cars and more cars Part Deux
« Reply #550 on: December 15, 2023, 09:12:23 PM »
Raptor tall.

—
Cybertruck vs F150 Raptor pedestrian safety test (Simulated)
12/4/23, https://x.com/aidrivr/status/1731842770732519509

➡️ pic.twitter.com/2NcD2kGrcj  15 sec. Ow.  But CT hits pelvis, rather than chest.

Almost like comparing Smith & Wesson to Colt? Brilliant!!
Have a ice day!

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1167
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #551 on: December 15, 2023, 10:32:12 PM »
So then, you will be carrying all those sheets of plywood to the worksite by hand?
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 422
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #552 on: December 15, 2023, 10:50:13 PM »
So then, you will be carrying all those sheets of plywood to the worksite by hand?

You don't need an armored truck to pick up a stack of plywood, unless you're a gang member?
Have a ice day!

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 388
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #553 on: December 15, 2023, 11:02:13 PM »
Now try the F350...  When I was over in Canada I was walking past trucks at my shoulder height.

There is a fairly simple resolution to this.  Don't walk in front of one when it is going....  The days of the red flag are long gone.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

zenith

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #554 on: December 18, 2023, 01:06:26 AM »
the canadian boys have been busy making their own electric work semi... it's a hybrid. this is how the guys that work in the bush think. this could work while a tesla semi... not so much.

Unveiling Edisons Electric Truck: A Detailed Tour of Topsy, Our First Prototype!
Where is reality? Can you show it to me? - Heinz von Foerster

zenith

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: December 18, 2023, 01:30:45 AM »
Now try the F350...  When I was over in Canada I was walking past trucks at my shoulder height.

There is a fairly simple resolution to this.  Don't walk in front of one when it is going....  The days of the red flag are long gone.

the f-350 is a huge work truck, nobody's buying those to drop the kids off at school. in canada pedestrians have the right of way, unlike many states.

zenith

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 18, 2023, 04:07:47 AM »
this is what common sense sounds like. a truck made by truckers for truckers, no proprietary parts as they're all off the shelf, nothing that can't be easily repaired and it's not trying to remake the wheel. it's a freight train on wheels. they also talk about making consumer products that last as a better use of resources and for the environment, they get it. they can also retrofit existing trucks. truckers will understand the benefits of this immediately, no arm twisting or bullshit required.

this is the first time they tried hauling anything, it was 100K lbs.

Diesel-Electric Semi Truck - Everything You Want To Know

for the sandy munro fans...
This Electric Semi is a Million-Dollar Idea! Edison Motors at Fully Charged LIVE Canada

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 578
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #557 on: December 18, 2023, 06:20:57 AM »

the f-350 is a huge work truck, nobody's buying those to drop the kids off at school. in canada pedestrians have the right of way, unlike many states.
Pedestrians have the right of way in the US however given the physics most pedestrians do not act that way.

zenith

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 18, 2023, 06:41:54 AM »
Pedestrians have the right of way in the US however given the physics most pedestrians do not act that way.

i'd check that state by state.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 18, 2023, 09:07:45 AM »

i'd check that state by state.
That may be but I still would not make assumptions no mater what the law is. 

zenith

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 18, 2023, 06:35:37 PM »
lol, the boys test drive a ford lightning and the guy from ford was not impressed.

i can already see that this retrofit is the way this is going to go, the boys like the electric power but they don't like the way new vehicles are made nor the price.

Retrofit Revolution: Turning Old Pickups into Electric Powerhouses!

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 388
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #561 on: December 18, 2023, 08:40:42 PM »

They do in the UK too.  But they still get run down because physics, as has been mentioned, doesn't care about human laws when a pedestrian confidently steps out in front of a vehicle travelling at any speed at all.

A bit like cyclists who try to rid off right by the kerb alongside an 18 ton truck turning in front of them.  Lot of very intelligent scientists have been crushed that way.  Which just goes to show that mixing humans on foot or pedal power with large moving vehicles is a recipe for disaster.

Something they understood the very first time someone was run down by an "automobile" because they didn't "hear the hooves" as they would have with a wagon.

Then again the very first train also ran someone down and killed him for similar reason.

All this stuff about "pedestrian safe" vehicles is just that "stuff".  Killed or maimed for life?  What would your choice be?  Because that is all these "pedestrian safe" vehicles are offering you.  Any speed over 20mph and the chances are you're maimed for life.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

zenith

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 19, 2023, 04:54:02 AM »
the only thing you've just done is to make an argument for better urban planning, regulations, bike lanes and pedestrian paths. people in various places have already figured this out. there's nothing revolutionary that needs to be done except in your mind.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 20, 2023, 02:16:28 AM »
the only thing you've just done is to make an argument for better urban planning, regulations, bike lanes and pedestrian paths. people in various places have already figured this out. there's nothing revolutionary that needs to be done except in your mind.
Thus the argument comes full circle. Bigger and heavier vehicles while bad for other reasons are not driving the surge in recent US deaths a lack of sidewalks and a surge in late night pedestrian/bike riders in suburban industrial areas is. While this is not new as you say the argument blaming heavy vehicles is and it is mostly wrong.

zenith

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 20, 2023, 08:43:06 PM »
heavy vehicles, as personal vehicles, have their place as they're required to do work but not to drive around in cities. going from red light to red light in a city doesn't require a heavy vehicle.

the suburbs are the poor urban planning writ large. you should be able to walk, ride or bus to a grocery store easily along with other basic services/requirements. kids should be able to walk to school for the most part.

there's no reason residential and industrial areas can't have sidewalks and bike lanes. industrial areas aren't exactly prime destinations for those activities though so you'd really only need a way around or through them.

edit - in north america we've really blurred the line between the urban and the country, thus the wasteful mess. nobody would drive a tractor through the city yet we think it's cool to drive a 1 ton pickup (payload capacity - 2000lbs.) wherever we want.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 09:18:16 PM by zenith »

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 21, 2023, 06:11:53 AM »
heavy vehicles, as personal vehicles, have their place as they're required to do work but not to drive around in cities. going from red light to red light in a city doesn't require a heavy vehicle.

the suburbs are the poor urban planning writ large. you should be able to walk, ride or bus to a grocery store easily along with other basic services/requirements. kids should be able to walk to school for the most part.

there's no reason residential and industrial areas can't have sidewalks and bike lanes. industrial areas aren't exactly prime destinations for those activities though so you'd really only need a way around or through them.

edit - in north america we've really blurred the line between the urban and the country, thus the wasteful mess. nobody would drive a tractor through the city yet we think it's cool to drive a 1 ton pickup (payload capacity - 2000lbs.) wherever we want.
The problem sighted in the study is some of the employees in those industrial areas lost/gave up their cars for some reason and had to walk too or from those industrial areas after dark. As you say there is little reason those industrial areas can not have sidewalks or even just parallel trails set back from the road a little but the lack appears to be what is driving the increased fatalities. As with anything else this requires money even if modest and some complain about any and all added costs or requirements.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 23, 2023, 06:00:48 PM »
—- Actions against ICE vehicle pollution cheaters

Stellantis trucks
Cummins to pay record $1.67 billion penalty over excess engine emissions
Dec 22
Cummins Inc. has agreed to pay an over $1.67 billion penalty to settle claims by regulators that the engine manufacturer unlawfully altered hundreds of thousands of pickup truck engines to bypass emissions tests.

According to the U.S. Justice Department, which announced the agreement in principle Thursday, Cummins' alleged actions violated the Clear Air Act — a federal law that requires car and engine manufacturers to comply with emission limits.

The $1.675 billion fine would be the largest civil penalty the Justice Department has secured under the Clear Air Act to date and second largest environmental penalty ever secured.

The Justice Department accuses Cummins of installing defeat devices —which can bypass or defeat emissions controls — on 630,000 2013-2019 Ram 2500 and 3500 pickup truck engines, as well as undisclosed auxiliary emission control devices on 330,000 2019-2023 Ram 2500 and 3500 pickup truck engines.

"The types of devices we allege that Cummins installed in its engines to cheat federal environmental laws have a significant and harmful impact on people's health and safety," Attorney General Merrick B. Garland said in a prepared statement. "Our preliminary estimates suggest that defeat devices on some Cummins engines have caused them to produce thousands of tons of excess emissions of nitrogen oxides."

Garland pointed to the "cascading effect" of these pollutants, notably breathing issues and respiratory infections that can arise with long-term exposure. …
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cummins-to-pay-record-penalty-engines-excess-emissions/

—-
Mercedes-Benz has to recall 100,000 diesel vehicles in 🇩🇪 Germany due to so-called thermal windows, which reduce the exhaust gas purification. They require a software update that Mercedes can only carry out in a workshop.

The reason for the recall is a manipulation of the diesel exhaust gas purification system, which ensures that the vehicle's exhaust gas purification system is only fully functional in a certain outside temperature range. The cars in question significantly reduce the cleaning system at lower and higher temperatures, which leads to significantly increased nitrogen oxide emissions.
12/20/23, https://x.com/alex_avoigt/status/1737518887065866258

—- Other recent safety recalls
Toyota recalls 1.9 million RAV4 SUVs as batteries can shift, catch fire  mlive.com/news/2023/11/t…
12/20/23, https://x.com/wholemarsblog/status/1737575657276846531

None of these recalls landed on the front page of the MSM:
✅ Honda recalling 2.5m due to fuel pumps
✅ Toyota recalling 1.12m due to child safety
✅ RAV4 recalling 1.8m due to fire hazards
✅ GM recalling trucks

Tesla releases software update: Front page hate. …
12/21/23, https://x.com/realmeetkevin/status/1738008965861220721

—-

If you were thinking about buying a Chevy Blazer EV… you’ll need to wait a while.  (Perhaps the changes in the works for NACS-enabled versions will help solve these problems?)
NEWS: GM has issued a stop-sale for its new Blazer EV due to software-related issues.
Customers who own a Blazer EV will be required to go to a dealership to update the software. The issue is not safety-related.
12/22/23, https://x.com/sawyermerritt/status/1738398462687777140
Paywalled: https://www.autonews.com/regulation-safety/chevy-blazer-ev-sales-halted-fix-software-quality-issue

The screen blinks on and off, then goes completely dead.

The 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV Left Me Stranded In Rural Virginia
It broke down after a mere 28 hours in my possession, stranding me in Wythesville, Virginia.
https://insideevs.com/reviews/701169/2024-blazer-ev-stranded-broken/

Edmunds:
Our Chevy Blazer EV Has 23 Problems After Only 2 Months
With only 1,600 miles on the odometer, our long-term Blazer EV has been at the dealer for more than two weeks
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2024-chevy-blazer-ev-long-term-faults.html

Recalls like the Blazer would be national news if it were Tesla.

But Tesla owners get software updates every 2-3 weeks — and look forward to them!  Recent updates added Automatic 911 Calls when airbags are deployed (with a countdown timer to cancel if you don’t need it), and navigation map icons for traffic lights and speed cameras on your route.  This year’s “Christmas update” added a new light show, and new video games to enjoy while parked.

Best new feature:
Customize your lock sound ➡️ pic.twitter.com/gSnCOrLK5q  22 sec. 🤣🤣
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 06:08:11 PM by Sigmetnow »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 27, 2023, 09:31:18 PM »
Daihatsu, the Japanese automaker owned by Toyota, halts Japan production after admitting it tampered with safety tests for 30 years
The brand, best known for manufacturing small passenger cars, has stopped output at all four of its Japanese factories as of Tuesday, including one at its headquarters in Osaka.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/27/business/daihatsu-japan-production-halt-safety-tests-intl-hnk

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 05, 2024, 02:49:23 AM »
More than half of the vehicles sold last year in Europe were SUVs.

Paris banned e-scooters last year. Now it is taking on SUVs.
Parisians vote to triple parking charges on SUVs in the city center
Residents of the French capital voted 54.5 percent in favor of charging SUV drivers $19.40 per hour to park in the city center. The measure was the latest effort by Parisian officials to combat pollution in one of the world’s most beloved metropolises.

The proposal will see non-Parisians’ SUVs or other large vehicles weighing more than 1.6 tonnes (1.76 tons), or two tonnes (2.20 tons) for electric vehicles, charged 18 euros, or $19.40 per hour, to park in the city center. Those who live or work in the city who have parking permits in their area will be exempt. …
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/02/04/paris-suv-parking-fees-referendum/

Or, for a limited time:  https://wapo.st/3HNgLKa

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 711
  • Likes Given: 382
« Reply #569 on: February 05, 2024, 05:13:26 AM »
i can already see that this retrofit is the way this is going to go,
Might work in sane country's. Here in NZ such modification must be past by a certified engineer and meet stringent safety standards before allowed to be  driven on the road .
In the USA the lack of any safety testing in many states means you will have  death traps driving around  .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_inspection_in_the_United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOT_test
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/warrants-and-certificates/modifying-your-vehicle/
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 998
  • Likes Given: 1291
« Reply #570 on: February 06, 2024, 01:52:06 AM »
I don't read this thread, and so I don't know if this has been discussed before, but what about compressed air engines? This looks cool. Will it take off? Or remain an illusion?

When factual science is in conflict with our beliefs or traditions, we cuddle up in our own delusional fantasy where everything starts making sense again.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 07, 2024, 08:09:02 PM »
The current state of the car market in the US.

“Car Dealership Guy” made a post asking US auto dealers to share how their month is going.
(2/6/24, 7:10 PM  https://x.com/guydealership/status/1755021249997136341)
It received 191 responses in under 12 hours.
A follower used ChatGPT to summarize them.  Results image is below.

… Specific Comments:
Some responses highlight the impact of economic factors, such as interest rates and incentives, on buying behavior. The mention of EVs, particularly Teslas, suggests a growing interest in electric vehicles, driven by incentives and perceived value compared to traditional models.

In summary, the car industry appears to be facing a period of adjustment, with mixed experiences across regions and segments. While some areas and dealerships are seeing signs of recovery or maintaining strong sales, others are grappling with slow sales, inventory challenges, and cautious consumer behavior. The outlook for the coming months remains cautious, with hopes pinned on factors like tax refunds to stimulate buyer interest.

(Some implications of this ChatGPT use are discussed briefly here: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1392.msg394118.html#msg394118 )

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 08, 2024, 04:15:27 PM »
Stationary compressed air is far less energy inefficient than batteries. In stationary applications heat management can help somewhat but those techniques seem improbable for mobile applications.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 07, 2024, 06:54:40 PM »
Alex @alex_avoigt
A VW employee was killed in a serious accident at the plant in Emden, yesterday on Tuesday morning.

This news, which was confirmed by a VW spokesperson, would have made headlines worldwide had it been at Tesla.
3/6/24, https://x.com/alex_avoigt/status/1765303934623658181

—-
Alex @alex_avoigt

2024 will be a standstill year for the VW Group when it comes to BEVs. There are hardly any new BEVs; instead, the group will bring a series of ICE vehicles onto the market.

The diesel and gasoline bestsellers Passat and Tiguan will start with overhauled versions in 2024. Skoda's sister ICE models Superb and Kodiaq have also received updates that promise volume.

VW Group stopped talking and advertising autonomous vehicles because they start to realize that they don't have anything to offer and potentially rather think about licensing a solution in the future from Mobileye or Tesla. …
3/3/24, https://x.com/alex_avoigt/status/1764258705980133499

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 21, 2024, 04:29:58 PM »
Porsche suspends sales of Boxster and Cayman due to 🇪🇺 EU cybersecurity rules. New EU cybersecurity rules mean the premature end of the 718 model series, but electric successors could follow as early as 2025.

A new law will come into force in the EU on July 7, 2024, which is intended to regulate cyber security in cars already on the market in order to make hacker attacks on vehicles more difficult. And if manufacturers or suppliers cannot prove that a certified management system to prevent such attacks was already in place when the vehicles were developed, there are really only two options: either make improvements or stop production.

The VW Group has also taken a number of vehicles out of production for this reason.
3/20/24, https://x.com/alex_avoigt/status/1770413002744799732

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 235
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #575 on: March 25, 2024, 01:44:41 AM »
Truck-to-truck worm could infect – and disrupt – entire US commercial fleet

The device that makes it possible is required in all American big rigs, and has poor security

Vulnerabilities in common Electronic Logging Devices (ELDs) required in US commercial trucks could be present in over 14 million medium- and heavy-duty rigs, according to boffins at Colorado State University.

In a paper presented at the 2024 Network and Distributed System Security Symposium, associate professor Jeremy Daily and systems engineering graduate students Jake Jepson and Rik Chatterjee demonstrated how ELDs can be accessed over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connections to take control of a truck, manipulate data, and spread malware between vehicles.
Schemes for tall vehicle relay testing
White Van Man could become a rolling radio relay
READ MORE

"These findings highlight an urgent need to improve the security posture in ELD systems," the trio wrote [PDF].

The authors did not specify brands or models of ELDs that are vulnerable to the security flaws they highlight in the paper. But they do note there's not too much diversity of products on the market. While there are some 880 devices registered, "only a few tens of distinct ELD models" have hit the road in commercial trucks.

A federal mandate requires most heavy-duty trucks to be equipped with ELDs, which track driving hours. These systems also log data on engine operation, vehicle movement and distances driven – but they aren't required to have tested safety controls built in.

And according to the researchers, they can be wirelessly manipulated by another car on the road to, for example, force a truck to pull over.

The academics pointed out three vulnerabilities in ELDs. They used bench level testing systems for the demo, as well as additional testing on a moving 2014 Kenworth T270 Class 6 research truck equipped with a vulnerable ELD.

"In our evaluation of ELD units procured from various resellers, we discovered that they are distributed with factory default firmware settings that present considerable security risks," the authors noted.

This included an exposed API that permits over-the-air (OTA) updates. The devices also have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled by default, with a "predictable" Bluetooth identifier and Wi-Fi Service Set Identifier (SSID) and weak default password. That makes it easy to connect to the device and then obtain network access to the rest of the vehicle's systems – at least for attackers within wireless range.

This can be achieved via a drive-by attack, or by hanging out at truck stops, rest stops, distribution centers, ports – basically anywhere that heavy-duty trucks tend to congregate.

The ELDs use a Controller Area Network (CAN) bus to communicate. For one of the attacks, the boffins showed how anyone within wireless range could use the device's Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radios to send an arbitrary CAN message that could disrupt of some of the vehicle's systems.

A second attack scenario, which also required the attacker to be within wireless range, involved connecting to the device and uploading malicious firmware to manipulate data and vehicle operations.

Finally, in what the authors described as the "most concerning" scenario, they uploaded a truck-to-truck worm. The worm uses the compromised device's Wi-Fi capabilities to search for other vulnerable ELDs nearby.

Here's how it knows the devices are vulnerable:

It specifically looks for devices with SSIDs starting with "VULNERABLE ELD:". Although this may sound contrived the SSID of the ELD we examined was predictable and could be used to identify the vulnerable devices.

After finding the right ELDs, the worm uses default credentials to establish a connection, drops its malicious code on the next ELD, overwrites existing firmware, and then starts the process over again, scanning for additional devices.

"Such an attack could lead to widespread disruptions in commercial fleets, with severe safety and operational implications," the researchers warned.

The team also conducted a real-world, drive-by attack simulation on an empty airfield to demonstrate this attack. It used a 2014 truck, and the "attacker" drove a Tesla Model Y at 20mph with a laptop and an Alfa extended range wireless adapter. While both vehicles were in motion, in just 14 seconds the team connected to the truck's Wi-Fi, used the ELD's interface to re-flash the device, and started sending malicious messages causing the truck to slow down.

According to Jepson, the researchers disclosed the flaws to the ELD manufacturers and the US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) before publishing the paper.

"The manufacturer is working on a firmware update now," Jepson explained. "But we suspect these issues may be common and potentially not limited to a single device or instance."

https://www.theregister.com/2024/03/22/boffins_tucktotruck_worm/

Commercial Vehicle Electronic Logging Device

Security: Unmasking the Risk of Truck-to-Truck Cyber Worms

https://www.ndss-symposium.org/wp-content/uploads/vehiclesec2024-47-paper.pdf

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 12, 2024, 05:39:30 PM »
In other news, water is wet.

NEWS: Report finds WLTP hugely over-estimates car fuel economy by up to 24%.
… The European Court of Auditors and the European Commission both say the first real-world data obtained on fuel consumption shows that petrol, diesel and plug-in hybrid cars are all well adrift of their official laboratory calculated fuel consumption and CO2 emission figures.

The first estimates for a sample of cars registered in 2022 show that the WLTP test regime overestimates the fuel economy of petrol cars by 23.7% and of diesel cars by 18.1%. 

PHEVs average CO2 emissions of 139.5g/km, which is some 23% better than the internal combustion engine average.
However, the real-world monitoring suggests that PHEVs aren’t being charged as often as was estimated by the WLTP regime. 

The upshot of the analysis is that larger-engined models, the heaviest SUVs and luxury cars and PHEVs, along with underperforming mainstream ICE vehicles, will now face renewed scrutiny by the European authorities. 

The EU Court of Auditors also recommends that the EU follows the UK’s legislative lead and drops the current laws that make car makers meet ‘fleet average’ CO2 targets (currently 115.1g/km, dropping to 93.6g/km from next year) in favour of “targets based instead on a minimum share of zero-emission vehicles”. 

Although the UK market is no longer directly affected by EU CO2 fleet average laws, 53% of cars made in the UK are exported to the EU market, so British car makers’ offerings will remain under scrutiny. 
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/consumer/report-finds-wltp-hugely-over-estimates-car-fuel-economy

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 12, 2024, 05:45:10 PM »
or they could keep the fleet average gram per car and impose minimum share of zero emission vehicles

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 235
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #578 on: May 30, 2024, 02:04:04 AM »
Toyota showcases compact engines adaptable to different fuels   (no info on whether methanol will work)

TOKYO, showcased next-generation engines on Tuesday that can be used in cars as varied as hybrids and those running on biofuel, as it targets tougher emissions standards and doubles down on its strategy of selling more than just EVs.

At a media event with peers Subaru the world's biggest automaker by volume displayed in-development 1.5 litre and 2.0 litre engines with significantly reduced volume and height versus current engines.
"With these engines, each of the three companies will aim to optimise integration with motors, batteries, and other electric drive units," they said in a joint statement. Toyota owns about a fifth of Subaru and roughly 5% of Mazda.
The three said their efforts will help decarbonise internal combustion engines by making them compatible with alternative fuel sources such as e-fuels and biofuels. They also hope more compact engines will revamp vehicle design by allowing for lower hoods.
Toyota was widely considered an EV laggard but a slowdown in EV growth has seen it benefit from an uptake of petrol-electric hybrids. Refreshing its traditional engine technology against that backdrop mirrors a similar move at Mercedes-Benz (MBGn.DE)
, opens new tab, while BYD (002594.SZ)
, opens new tab is set to unveil new hybrid technology with lower fuel consumption later on Tuesday.
The Japanese automaker said its new 1.5 litre engine will achieve volume and weight reduction of 10% of versus its existing 1.5 litre engines, which it uses in cars such as its Yaris compact.
The new 2.0-litre turbo engine will have similar gains versus existing 2.4 litre turbo engines used in bigger models such as three-row seating sport utility vehicles.
(bit more)

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/toyota-subaru-mazda-commit-developing-new-engines-2024-05-28/