Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Climategate - The Trick & The Science & the politics & the book  (Read 1683 times)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 906
  • Likes Given: 87
Since this "Shock News!" is evidently not welcome in "The Science" department I have entered at my own peril:

Several days ago now, I unexpectedly found myself in earnest "debate" with Stephen McIntyre and assorted other "skeptical" fellows over on Twitter. You can read all about the "Shock News!" on my Arctic alter ego's blog:

https://GreatWhiteCon.info/2021/06/mud-wrestling-with-climategate-pigs/

And on Twitter of course, but as you might expect there's a lot of p1g sh1t to wade through there. This is perhaps the currently most pertinent one:

Good morning Stephen (UTC),

As promised, here is the article I ended up burning some midnight oil over.

"At the time of writing Stephen has still not provided any evidence for his scurrilous allegation against Prof. Rice."

#Climategate pigs might fly?

By way of brief additional information:

It seems as though the British Broadcasting Corporation has commissioned a “thriller” entitled “The Trick“, which is based on the events in 2009 and thereafter popularly referred to as “Climategate”:

The “Climategate” computer hacking scandal that rocked the scientific world is to be made into a BBC film.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 02:02:48 PM by Jim Hunt »
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
Re: Climategate - The Movie & The Science
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 01:58:32 PM »
And before anybody who hasn't read the article linked to above says "Waddabout The Science?" please see this recent "Tweet" by a Professor of Computational Astrophysics at the University of Edinburgh:

https://twitter.com/theresphysics/status/1403462023044861961

It's called a hockey stick, because of the shape of the T vs t time series. As David is pointing out, this shape is consistent with what we'd expect from climate physics.

"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
Re: Climategate - The Trick & The Science & the politics & the book
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 10:57:22 AM »
"The Trick" has now been broadcast by the Beeb, and proud possessors of a Great British television licence can view it at:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0010s10

More on the alleged "Climategate conspiracy" is being broadcast on BBC Radio 4. Also available via BBC sounds as "The Hack that Changed the World":

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00114h2

Here is an extract from the "three star" review of the movie by Flora Carr in the Radio Times:

Hidden in this cautionary tale, there’s also a love story: Phil and Ruth’s. There are numerous tear-jerking scenes, in particular Ruth’s reaction when Phil returns from a moonlit beach walk, sodden wet, after wading into the sea and contemplating death by suicide. She remains his rock throughout.

‘Climategate’ itself may have been about facts and figures, but The Trick’s, well, trick is honing in on the people it affected – and on the billions of people who will be impacted by the climate crisis in the years to come.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1339
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 01:11:06 PM »
Is it worth watching, Jim? Or is it hidden propaganda by giving oxygen to the denier talking points Climategate offered? I still remember that idiot George Monbiot (whom I really admired at the time) falling right into the trap.

I hope one day it will be revealed who ordered that hack. I think it will be, maybe from some death bed. The people involved have big egos, and I've always been almost certain that people like Steven Mosher know who did it.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 01:33:06 PM »
Is it worth watching, Jim?

I am not the "proud possessor of a Great British television licence" so I couldn't possibly comment!

Kasia and I do have a television screen but it's not connected to an aerial, and we have sworn to Her Majesty's (in)glorious "Government" that we will never, ever use BBC iPlayer. However according to one Stephen McIntyre:

The "heroes" of The Trick, to the extent that there are any, are the square-jawed "reputation managers" who coached Jones up to appear before a Parliamentary Committee a few weeks later. They are Neil Wallis and Sam Bowen of Outside Organization - similar guys to Fusion GPS. Wallis, a former exec editor of  tabloid News of the World, was arrested two years later in aphone hacking scandal.

According to Roger "Tallbloke" Tattersall, who was interviewed for the Radio 4 version, it was probably a "UEA inside job".