Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Increased Lightning in the Arctic  (Read 1337 times)

FrostKing70

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 14
Increased Lightning in the Arctic
« on: January 05, 2022, 11:53:07 PM »
Dramatic increase in lightning over the last few years, especially 2021!

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/05/world/lightning-increased-north-pole-arctic-2021-climate/index.html

Added graph (hopefully!)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 12:47:13 AM by FrostKing70 »

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 578
  • Likes Given: 96
Re: Increased Lightning in the Arctic
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 12:17:15 AM »
You cut off the axis label

FrostKing70

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 12:33:40 AM »
I see that, I am currently on my tablet, which has limited capabilities.  The image I downloaded does not include the labels! 

Will get a better one when I get to my laptop later!

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2064
  • Likes Given: 2002
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 10:59:13 PM »
In a region where sightings were once rare, the Earth’s northernmost region saw 7,278 lightning strikes in 2021 – nearly double as many as the previous nine years combined.

Arctic air typically lacks the convective heat required to create lightning so the latest findings, published in the Finnish firm Vaisala’s annual lightning report, have scientists like Vaisala’s meteorologist and lightning applications manager, Chris Vagasky, worried.

“Over the last 10 years, overall lightning counts north of the Arctic Circle have been fairly consistent,” Vagasky said. “But at the highest latitudes of the planet – north of 80° – the increase has been drastic. Such a significant shift certainly causes you to raise your eyebrows.”

Three things are required to generate thunderstorms – moisture, instability and lift. The disappearance of sea ice means more water is able to evaporate, adding moisture to the atmosphere. Higher temperatures and atmospheric instability create the perfect conditions for lightning. Monitoring how lightning trends change in the Arctic can therefore reveal a lot about how the atmosphere is changing in response to shifts in climate.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jan/07/lightning-high-arctic-rise-scientists-worried

Bit more simple detail.
So we can conclude that in 2017 the atmosphere in the Arctic changed.

There is no associated trendline yet but it can´t be good in the long run.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

FrostKing70

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 10:34:52 PM »
Will be interesting, and probably alarming, to see what is increased energy will do in the Arctic over the next few years!