Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Wildfires  (Read 545315 times)

Dingo

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wildfires
« Reply #1800 on: December 10, 2023, 07:24:47 AM »
G'day All,

Been lurking a few years first time poster. I am a career firefighter based out of NSW Australia, been at it around 18 years now. As you can imagine ENSO activity has been relevant to my interest for a while now, although I am interested and read on climate science in general.

Was coming in with some anecdotal evidence from my experience this season. As has been noted by many in this forum my service like all in Aus has been gearing up for a "monster season" the comments in regards to excessive growth caused by the big wet and it's unsustainability within standard rainfall patterns are very accurate.

However and much to my delight the season in NSW has not played out as badly as were fearing by any stretch (i am planting both hands firmly on my wooden desk as I say this). We have been very lucky with a series of storms coming across large parts of the state which have been just enough to keep a modicum of moisture in fuels, and the humidity has been pretty decent too. Also a lack of bad northwest wind days has helped, it's a little hard to put a finger on any one thing helping us thus far but even through record warmth in spring we have not suffered in NSW.

For non Aussies the two states which are usually hit hardest by a big Nino are NSW and VIC, the East/SE of the country. Victoria has also been relatively blessed this season so far (it is still very early days) yet as Rodius pointed out earlier QLD and the NT and northern WA seem to be having an absolute shocker.

I have also been reading a lot of Modoki El Nino or other hybrid modes where it has been observed in the past that the worst effects of the system affect the northern and north west parts of Australia as opposed to it's usual south-east stomping ground. Having a look at the fire map Rodius posted above, we could be seeing that phenomenon play out in Aus.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2064
  • Likes Given: 2002
« Reply #1801 on: December 10, 2023, 05:17:01 PM »
Welcome Dingo!

Maybe the distribution holds. How many months to go in the fire season for NSW?
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3594
  • Likes Given: 4023
« Reply #1802 on: December 10, 2023, 06:59:22 PM »
Welcome indeed, Dingo.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 664
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #1803 on: December 10, 2023, 11:11:30 PM »
G'day All,

Been lurking a few years first time poster. I am a career firefighter based out of NSW Australia, been at it around 18 years now. As you can imagine ENSO activity has been relevant to my interest for a while now, although I am interested and read on climate science in general.

Was coming in with some anecdotal evidence from my experience this season. As has been noted by many in this forum my service like all in Aus has been gearing up for a "monster season" the comments in regards to excessive growth caused by the big wet and it's unsustainability within standard rainfall patterns are very accurate.

However and much to my delight the season in NSW has not played out as badly as were fearing by any stretch (i am planting both hands firmly on my wooden desk as I say this). We have been very lucky with a series of storms coming across large parts of the state which have been just enough to keep a modicum of moisture in fuels, and the humidity has been pretty decent too. Also a lack of bad northwest wind days has helped, it's a little hard to put a finger on any one thing helping us thus far but even through record warmth in spring we have not suffered in NSW.

For non Aussies the two states which are usually hit hardest by a big Nino are NSW and VIC, the East/SE of the country. Victoria has also been relatively blessed this season so far (it is still very early days) yet as Rodius pointed out earlier QLD and the NT and northern WA seem to be having an absolute shocker.

I have also been reading a lot of Modoki El Nino or other hybrid modes where it has been observed in the past that the worst effects of the system affect the northern and north west parts of Australia as opposed to it's usual south-east stomping ground. Having a look at the fire map Rodius posted above, we could be seeing that phenomenon play out in Aus.

How good is it to have an Australian firefighter here?

I sometimes feel like a doomer when talking about Australian fires so it is nice to have someone back the information up.

And yeah, it has been quite wet. I am in VIC and it has been raining more than usual from what I am seeing, yet the rainfall is below average by 14%... go figure. Anecdotal evidence means almost nothing.

In spite of the rain and slow start in VIC/NSW, when it stops in the coming weeks, all bets are off for more of the wet stuff. I am hoping the fire season will be no worse than average, but in the end, luck runs out. 2019 is still fresh... I cant get out of my head how Melbourne was smoke filled for 5 or 6 weeks, so bad we couldn't go outside without the air burning our throats. I saw the images etc, but it is very difficult to comprehend how huge those fires were when the smoke was everywhere hundreds and hundreds of km away.

Still, looking out the window to rain and clouds and cool temps is good. I wont complain about it at all until I get onto my bike and ride to the shop lol

Dingo

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1804 on: December 12, 2023, 03:42:00 AM »
G'day Kassy!

If u ask three different sources when the fire season is in Aus you'll get three different answers but in broader terms it can start in October and generally won't calm down until the back end of February. The factors as identified by numerous linked reports above are all still in play so there is definitely scope for rapid and widespread deterioration of the situation. Once again please accept my opinions with a dash of salt as they are more observational than scientific but typically our worst seasons are underway well before the start of December.

In Aus we have a tectonic mountain range that runs north/south parallel to the east coast "the great dividing range" in out otherwise quite flat country, which offers great spots for fires to start and burn in inaccessible locations for weeks. Also the elevation/topography change tends to encourage atmospheric disturbances resulting in dry lightning strikes setting up little fires all around no mans land. In our bad seasons these fires start early and build up continually much like we saw in Canada with the exception of our fuels being much faster to burn with more fast moving crowning fires (aided by flammable eucalyptus) than slow and long burning zombie peat fires. These evasive little buggers that sit in wait until a good wind just haven't really appeared in force this season yet.

So yes while we are still not quite "halfway" in our fire season it will be hard to catch up to the levels of total fire activity we have suffered in recent years. In Australia the sheer level of uninhabited land also plays a big part of how the fires are reported/viewed as Rodius suggested before, as although a large areas of the Northern Territory is currently burning, there is just nothing out there as most is desert and the vegetation is also quite sparse.

Rodius I also agree with your observations on the reduced total rainfall, I would take a guess that the saving factor with that rainfall may be in the finer points of how it is spaced out and the overall humidity that is hanging around before/after each event. For instance 25mm of rain over 4 different events spaced evenly throughout the month may be a more effective suppressant than 30mm of rain in one big block at the start of the month. It has definitely been a humid spring up at my place, what about yours?

Prevailing winds also play a big part in fire danger for NSW and VIC with strong northwesterlies being the big ticket item as they represent air that's been dragged across the dry center of the country resulting in *very* low humidity and hot winds that can dry out ground fuels in a matter of days. We seem to have been spared that too for the most part this season. There were some record breaking rain events in the red center in June this year resulting in historic flooding. I wonder if the unnaturally wet season for the outback has mitigated the dry winds that usually bake and strip moisture from the east coast this time of year?

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 664
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #1805 on: December 12, 2023, 12:26:54 PM »
Rodius I also agree with your observations on the reduced total rainfall, I would take a guess that the saving factor with that rainfall may be in the finer points of how it is spaced out and the overall humidity that is hanging around before/after each event. For instance 25mm of rain over 4 different events spaced evenly throughout the month may be a more effective suppressant than 30mm of rain in one big block at the start of the month. It has definitely been a humid spring up at my place, what about yours?

It has been humid for about a month in VIC... the rain, while not much, seems to be widespread and drizzly.. so, and this is just my observation, the land seems damper than usual even though it isn't raining as much... which seems like a contradiction to me but that seems to be the situation. There is a lot of green grass even now when it is usually brown, and there is a lot of it.

ANd we have another week of that weather except it is reaching the 30C temps a few times a week... I suspect the change to hot and dry is about 7 to 10 days away... just before Christmas.

What you said about a late start is encouraging, less time to be destructive is a good thing.

Oddly, I have a sinking feeling that when the fires start in VIC and NSW, it will be unpleasant, but not 2019 bad. There are too many variables though...

My take... this rain is building up a truck load of potential fuel in the mountains East of Melbourne and in the farmlands throughout VIC. When it dries, if a fire gets moving, there is more than enough fuel to do terrible things. There simply isn't enough time for backburning even if it was properly funded.

The heat is about to begin.
I think heat records will fall this year.
My personal record for heat is 47C... that was in Sydney though, Melbourne normal peaks at 45C... I think both will fall this season.

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 235
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #1806 on: January 06, 2024, 07:58:36 PM »
Canada could face more record-breaking heat this year. How can we prepare for wildfires?
Low snowpack and higher temperatures forecast for El Niño year already raising wildfire concerns.

The first week of January isn't usually wildfire season. But as 2024 began, more than 100 "zombie fires" were actively burning in British Columbia — holdovers from last summer that typically go dormant over winter.

"That is mind boggling to me. Just unheard of," said Lori Daniels, a professor with the University of British Columbia's department of forest and conservation sciences.

The warm, dry weather that capped off what is expected to be declared the planet's hottest year on record — and Canada's most destructive wildfire season by a longshot, with more than 6,500 fires burning close to 19 million hectares — is not over.

With the global El Niño weather system continuing through this spring, forecasts suggest 2024 could be even hotter — prompting wildfire and public policy experts to call for more wildfire prevention efforts now.
(more)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/wildfire-preparation-2024-1.7074748

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3536
  • Likes Given: 762
« Reply #1807 on: January 25, 2024, 04:44:49 PM »
Colombia Declares Emergency Over Raging Forest Fires
https://phys.org/news/2024-01-colombia-declares-emergency-raging-forest.html

Colombia has declared a state of emergency in two regions as dozens of forest fires burned wide swathes of the country and left the capital choking on smoke during record temperatures linked with the El Niño weather phenomenon.

Colombia has already extinguished hundreds of fires this month, but 25 continue to burn, according to data from the National Disaster Risk Management Unit (UNGRD) on Wednesday.

In the departments of Santander and Cundinamarca—where the capital Bogota is located—the fires have consumed about 600 hectares (1,483 acres) of forest and states of emergency were declared.

More than half of the country's municipalities have been put on "red alert" over the threat of the fires, with the areas around the capital hit hard.

White columns of smoke billowed from the mountains surrounding Bogota on Wednesday, with people in the commercial district seen masking up against the thick haze and ash.

President Gustavo Petro said global warming was aggravating the El Niño weather—a phenomenon typically associated with increased temperatures worldwide, drought in some parts of the world and heavy rains elsewhere.

"This may be the hottest year in the history of mankind," he said, calling on "every mayor, every governor and the national government" to prioritize water supplies.

Nine towns in the north, center and east of Colombia posted record temperatures Tuesday of up to 40.4 degrees Celsius (105 Fahrenheit).

One of the world's most biodiverse countries, Colombia has for months been suffering from record-high temperatures and drought conditions in the southern hemisphere winter, as climate change wreaks havoc.

These conditions are expected to last through June, forecasters have said.

--------------------------------------------------------------
There are 3 classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Fiat iustitia, et pereat mundus

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: January 29, 2024, 05:31:29 PM »
In Argentina there is a big fire in Los Alerces National Park in Patagonia. Over 600 hectares have been destroyed. Lots of wind and high temps make it hard to fight the fire. Temps are 40C now.

It is also threatening two nearby cities.

https://www.nu.nl/buitenland/6299390/uit-de-hand-gelopen-natuurbrand-bedreigt-twee-argentijnse-steden.html
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #1809 on: February 04, 2024, 04:02:10 PM »
https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/raging-forest-fires-kill-least-19-chile-toll-expected-rise-2024-02-03/

Feb 3 (Reuters) - Forest fires raging in central Chile have killed at least 51 people and the death toll is likely to keep climbing, authorities said on Saturday, as emergency services battled to snuff out flames threatening urban areas.
Black smoke billowed into the sky over many parts of the Valparaiso region, home to nearly one million inhabitants in central Chile, while firefighters using helicopters and trucks struggled to quell the fires.

Areas around the coastal tourist city of Vina del Mar have been some of the hardest hit and rescue teams were struggling to reach all the affected areas, Chilean authorities said.
The death toll rose when five bodies were found on public roads, and information indicates "we are going to reach much higher figures" in coming hours, said Interior Minister Carolina Toha.
"The condition of Valparaiso is the most delicate," Toha said, saying the country was facing its worst disaster since a 2010 earthquake that killed about 500.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1022
  • Likes Given: 1063
« Reply #1810 on: February 06, 2024, 11:38:29 AM »
the destruction of Vina del Mar , known as the garden city , looks every bit as horrific as that in Hawaii last year . Climate catastrophe ? Not if you live in an Ivory tower in the 'west' .
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: February 06, 2024, 04:50:54 PM »
^

View of neighborhoods burned during forest fires in Viña del Mar, Chile, on February 5, 2024. Areas around Vińa del Mar were among the hardest-hit by the country's deadly wildfires.

Chile’s catastrophic fires have been driven by the impacts of El Niño — a natural climate fluctuation that has a global heating effect — colliding with the longterm trend of global warming, which is fueling more intense and more frequent drought and heat waves.

For the last decade, Chile has been grappling with a “mega-drought,” the longest there in at least 1,000 years, putting pressure on water supplies and drying up the landscape, priming it for fire.

The country has also been scorched by abnormally high temperatures in recent days. Chile’s capital Santiago reached 37.3 degrees Celsius (98.6 degrees Fahrenheit) on January 31, the country’s third-highest recorded temperature in more than a century, according to the World Meteorological Agency.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-024-52481-x
There are 3 classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 235
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #1812 on: February 07, 2024, 08:36:22 AM »
The Perverse Policies That Fuel Wildfires

Strategies intended to safeguard forests and homes have instead increased the likelihood that they’ll burn.

The provincial government of Alberta defines a “wildfire of note” as a blaze that could “pose a threat to public safety, communities or critical infrastructure.” Last year, Alberta’s first wildfire of note broke out unusually early, on April 30th, near the tiny town of Entwistle, about sixty-five miles west of Edmonton. A second wildfire of note was recorded that same day, in the town of Evansburg. Four days later, an astonishing seventy-two wildfires were burning, and three days after that the number had grown to a hundred and nine. Some thirty thousand people had to be evacuated, and Alberta’s premier declared a state of emergency. “It’s been an unusual year,” Christie Tucker, an official from the province’s wildfire information unit, observed at the end of the week.

The unusual soon became the unheard-of. Owing to a combination of low winter snowfall and abnormally high spring temperatures, many parts of Canada, including the Maritime Provinces, were just a cigarette butt away from incineration. On May 28th, with flames bearing down on Halifax, the capital of Nova Scotia, some eighteen thousand people were told to evacuate. “Basically, all hell is breaking loose,” a fire chief in Halifax, Rob Hebb, said. Meanwhile, the largest fire ever recorded in Nova Scotia—the Barrington Lake fire—was burning toward the city’s southwest.

The fires kept hopscotching across the country. Before the Barrington Lake fire had been contained, a new monster, the Donnie Creek fire, emerged in British Columbia. On June 18th, after scorching more than two thousand square miles, Donnie Creek became British Columbia’s largest recorded blaze. Saskatchewan saw dozens of wildfires, Quebec hundreds. Evacuation orders went out to the entire city of Yellowknife, the capital of the Northwest Territories. Many of the blazes created their own weather, in the form of thunderstorms spawned by rapidly rising hot air. The smoke from the fires drifted across much of the United States, prompting health alerts from Minneapolis to Washington, D.C. By late June, Canada had broken its previous annual record for acreage burned, set in 1995, and by mid-October nearly forty-six million acres—an area larger than Denmark—had been charred. This was almost triple the previous record and nine times the annual average.
The Best Books We Read This Week

Read our reviews of notable new fiction and nonfiction, updated every Wednesday.

“This summer across Canada has been absolutely astounding,” Lori Daniels, a professor in the department of forest and conservation sciences at the University of British Columbia, told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. “The word ‘unprecedented’ doesn’t do justice to the severity of the wildfires,” Yan Boulanger, a research scientist at Natural Resources Canada, said.

As bad as Canada’s 2023 wildfire season was—Europe, too, saw its largest wildfire on record, a blaze that consumed more than three hundred square miles in northeastern Greece—the conflagrations are predicted to keep growing. A paper that appeared last summer in the journal Fire Ecology warned that “increasing warming and drying trends” will make wildfires “more frequent and severe,” and a recent report from the Wildland Fire Mitigation and Management Commission, a body established by Congress, predicted a future “defined by wildfires that are increasingly extreme, vast in scale, and devastating.” Another recent report, from the Federation of American Scientists, observed that the world is warming so fast that the models firefighters rely on to predict how blazes will behave have become obsolete. “Climate change is drying fuels and making forests more flammable,” the report said. “As a result, no matter how much money we spend on wildfire suppression, we will not be able to stop increasingly extreme wildfires.”
(snip)
In the course of starting more blazes—in upstate New York and California—O’Connor comes to see the wildfire problem less in terms of surfeit and more in terms of scarcity. Prior to human settlement, lightning-induced fires were, it seems, a regular occurrence in North America. These blazes acted as a kind of ecological reset; from the ashes of the incinerated forest (or grassland), pyrophytes blossomed. Later, Native Americans routinely burned the landscape—to foster the growth of useful plants, to clear space for farming, and to improve the conditions for hunting. In the sixteen-thirties, Thomas Morton, an English colonist who settled in Massachusetts, wrote that this practice produced a parklike landscape that was “very beautifull and commodious.” Two hundred years later, the artist George Catlin described the sight of Native Americans burning the prairie as “indescribably beautiful.” At night, Catlin wrote, the flames could be seen from many miles away, “creeping over the sides and tops of the bluffs, appearing to be sparkling and brilliant chains of liquid fire.” In addition to maintaining parklike conditions, these managed blazes prevented fuel from building up, and so staved off larger, potentially unmanageable conflagrations.
(snip)
Pyne’s argument for the Pyrocene begins with fire itself, which he divides into three sorts. “First-fire” is the kind that requires no human intervention. This sort is as old as the hills, or even older: the earliest evidence of fire on Earth comes from fossilized charcoal dating to the Silurian period, when plants were just starting to creep onto dry land. Second-fire, in Pyne’s scheme, is the kind that humans set, or at least control. It’s not clear when, exactly, hominins learned how to manipulate fire, but the discovery may go back as far as 1.5 million years. Controlling fire was such a significant breakthrough that, Pyne argues, it altered the course of evolution. Cooking enabled our ancestors to devote less space to digestion and more to cognition, developments that, in turn, meant humans could no longer live without flames.

First-fire and second-fire both rely on the same fuel source: living—or at least recently live—plants. For most of human history, this was the constraint on combustion. Then people figured out how to access ancient biomass in the form of coal, oil, and natural gas. The combustion of fossil fuels produced third-fire, which altered the atmosphere and, in the process, the climate. “Fire created the conditions for more fire,” Pyne writes.
(more)

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/02/05/the-perverse-policies-that-fuel-wildfires

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: February 17, 2024, 06:20:12 PM »
'Zombie Fires' burning at an alarming rate in Canada

Even in the dead of Canada's winter, the embers of last year's record-setting wildfire season remain. So-called "zombie fires" are burning under thick layers of snow at an unprecedented rate, raising fears about what the coming summer may bring.

The Fort Nelson smoke is the result of zombie fires - also called overwintering fires.

They are flameless smoulders that burn slowly below the surface, and are kept alive thanks to an organic soil called peat moss common in North America's boreal forest and to thick layers of snow that insulate them from the cold.

These fires are not unusual. In the past 10 years, British Columbia has, on average, seen five or six that continue to burn during the cold months, experts say.

But in January, the province saw an unprecedented peak of 106 active zombie fires
, raising concern among fire scientists about what these smoulders will mean for the upcoming wildfire season.

Most typically go out on their own before the spring, but 91 are still burning in BC, according to provincial data, and those that are not extinguished by March could reignite once the snow melts and they are exposed to air.

Because of this, scientists have linked them to early starts of wildfire seasons.

The neighbouring province of Alberta is also seeing a spike in these winter fires, with 57 burning as of early February - nearly 10 times more the five-year average.

More than 18 million hectares (44 million acres) of land were burned by wildfires in Canada in 2023 - an area roughly the size of Cambodia - far surpassing the country's 10-year average.

By the end of the year, officials recorded a total of more than 2,200 wildfires in BC.

Another reason, Prof Flannigan said, is the extreme drought that the province has been dealing with over the last two years.

As of February, most of BC has been under medium to extreme levels of drought, per the province's drought map.

Like the zombie fires, the drought, too, has been noticeable, said Ms Leverkus.

When out in the forest last summer, she said she noticed that a creek that used to flow freely is now "just puddles".

These drought conditions have persisted through the winter. The province has seen so little snow that one ski resort in BC's South Cariboo region was forced to close its doors in early January for the remainder of the season.

And with it being an El Nino year, which spells out hot and dry conditions for western Canada, Prof Flannigan said that "the stage is set for a very active spring".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68228943

That´s not looking good.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: February 28, 2024, 08:54:20 AM »
Out-of-Control Wildfires Scorch Texas Panhandle and Prompt Shutdown of Nuclear Weapons Facility
https://apnews.com/article/texas-panhandle-fire-evacuations-2cad37f14581bac74a3691969aaaf956
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/02/27/texas-wildfires-weather-disaster-declaration/72764872007/

A massive wildfire more than quadrupled in size in the Texas Panhandle on Tuesday, as high winds and dry conditions fueled several big fires in the region, prompting a state disaster declaration and shutting down the nation's primary nuclear weapons facility.

The Smokehouse Creek Fire, burning between Canadian and Stinnett, exploded in size Tuesday, growing from 40,000 acres to 200,000 acres in just six hours. The fire had burned over more than 400 square miles, an area more than 100 square miles larger than New York City

The intense blazes in Texas were among several wild weather events occurring Tuesday, including tornadoes in Illinois and a swath of record-high temperatures in the eastern half of the nation.

Fire warnings and evacuations are in effect in many locations, the National Weather Service in Amarillo reported Tuesday night. Strong winds gusting ahead of a cold front moving across the nation were gusting to 50 mph in the region.

One fire in Potter County, the Windy Deuce fire, prompted the shut down of the Pantex Plant, the nation's primary nuclear weapons assembly and disassembly facility, about 17 miles northeast of Amarillo.

Plant officials said on X that personnel were building a fire barrier to protect plant facilities and that all weapons and special materials on the site were "safe and unaffected."

----------------------------------------------------------------

...  “Nothing like America's only nuclear weapons assembly/disassembly site potentially burning down in February to illustrate the intersection of climate change and national security!”

https://twitter.com/dex_eve/status/1762665535442137446

----------------------------------------------------------------

'Devastating' Texas Wildfires Spark Disaster Declaration, Nuclear Plant Partial Evacuation
https://abcnews.go.com/US/disaster-declaration-issued-texas-battles-devastating-wildfires/story?id=107611592

The Pantex Nuclear Weapons Plant in Amarillo has paused operations until further notice and evacuated nonessential personnel as a precaution due to the wildfires, according to an internal situation report from the Department of Homeland Security's Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency obtained by ABC News.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Wildfire Grows Into 2nd-Largest in Texas History As Flames Menace Multiple Small Towns
https://apnews.com/article/texas-panhandle-fire-evacuations-2cad37f14581bac74a3691969aaaf956

The main fire, known as the Smoke House Creek Fire, had grown to more than half the size of the state of Rhode Island. It is five times larger than on Monday, when it began.

.... The largest of the fires — which expanded to nearly 800 square miles (2,072 square kilometers) — jumped into parts of neighboring Oklahoma and was completely uncontained as dawn broke, according to the Texas A&M Forest Service.

Authorities had not reported any deaths or injuries as of Wednesday morning as huge plumes of smoke billowed hundreds of feet above the blackened landscape. But early assessments indicated that property damage could be extensive.

Sustained winds of up to 45 mph (72 kph), with gusts of up to 70 mph (113 kph), caused the fires that were spreading east to turn south, threatening new areas, forecasters said. Breezy conditions were expected again Friday, and critical fire weather could return by the weekend.

Hemphill County Emergency Management Coordinator Bill Kendall described the charred terrain as being “like a moonscape. ... It’s just all gone.”

« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 12:30:13 AM by vox_mundi »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: February 29, 2024, 01:07:55 PM »
Nearly 3,000 fires in Brazilian Amazon in February, new record

Nearly 3,000 forest fires were registered in the Brazilian Amazon this month, the highest for any February since records began in 1999, and made more likely by climate change, according to experts.

Brazil's INPE space research institute said Wednesday its satellites had picked up 2,940 fires so far this month, 67 percent more than the previous high of 1,761 recorded in February 2007 and four times more than in the same month last year.

"The climate factor certainly plays a fundamental role in this anomaly," Ane Alencar, scientific director of the IPAM Amazonia research institute, told AFP.

The northern part of the rainforest was hardest hit, particularly the state of Roraima, home to the Yanomami Indigenous reserve.

https://phys.org/news/2024-02-brazilian-amazon-february.html

John_the_Younger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #1816 on: February 29, 2024, 10:27:02 PM »
Smokehouse Fire in Texas (and Oklahoma) now over 1,075,000 acres [435,000 hectares] - largest in Texas's recorded history.  It is 3% contained.  The state of Rhode Island covers only 314,425 hectares. [ref.]

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5322
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1817 on: March 06, 2024, 10:45:30 AM »
Roraima—Brazil’s northernmost state in February had five times the average wildfires.
Also many of the fires are larger than usual, with many understory fires

At the moment Roraima is emerging from the dry season (see attached graph), in contrast to further south in the Amazon where the wet season is Dec to May.

The question is will the rest of the Amazon suffer later this year as happened in 2016.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/152511/amazon-forest-fires-rage-in-roraima
Amazon Forest Fires Rage in Roraima

Roraima—Brazil’s northernmost state—has a wet climate, which helps rainforests thrive and suppresses the natural occurrence of forest fires, even during the dry season. Nonetheless, remote sensing scientists have observed fires in this northern Amazon region for as long as satellite observations have been available, especially during the drier months of October through March. Most are management fires, ignited for purposes such as burning pastures and agricultural areas or clearing rainforest.

In the second half of February 2024, NASA satellites observed unusually widespread and intense fire activity in Roraima, according to multiple fire monitoring platforms, including the SERVIR Amazon Fire Dashboard, the Brazilian Space Agency’s Queimadas program, and NASA’s Fire Information for Resource Management System (FIRMS).

On several occasions, satellites observed thick plumes of smoke blanketing much of Roraima. In recent decades, forested landscapes in this fast-changing state have become increasingly fragmented by new roads, pastures, and farmland as cities such as Boa Vista, Caracaraí, and Rorainópolis have expanded.

The image at the top of the page, acquired by the MODIS (Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer) on NASA’s Terra satellite, shows smoke streaming from several fires southwest of Boa Vista on February 22, 2024. The false-color (bands 7-5-2) image below, captured by the OLI-2 (Operational Land Imager-2) on Landsat 9, shows the burn scar created by a large fire burning near Boa Vista on February 23, 2024.

February 23, 2024JPEG

According to data from Brazil’s National Institute for Space Research, the MODIS on NASA’s Aqua satellite detected more than 2,057 active fires in Roraima in February 2024. That number is five times the average for February and well above the previous record of 1,347 from February 2007.

The intensity and size of many of the fires are also unusual. The European Commission’s Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service (CAMS), a system based on MODIS observations from the Global Fire Assimilation System (GFAS), estimated that fires in Brazil released more than 4.1 megatons of carbon into the atmosphere in February, the highest for any month on record since 2003. Roughly half of those carbon emissions came from the fires in Roraima.

“Most management fires you might find in this area during a normal year would cover just a few square kilometers, but we’re seeing fires this year that began in pastures or recently cleared rainforest and then spread into the surrounding rainforest areas that are burning hundreds of square kilometers,” said Shane Coffield, a postdoc at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center. “These are huge wildfires—and they’re devastating for the ecosystems and air quality.”

For comparison, 100 square kilometers is about 30 times the size of Central Park in New York City. Forest fires in this area burn in the rainforest understory without fully consuming the canopy, but they can harm rainforests by killing a large percentage of trees and causing damage that persists for decades.

Since Amazon forest fires occur under the canopy, they can be difficult for satellite sensors like MODIS or VIIRS (Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite) to detect. Orbiting sensors with higher spatial resolution, such as the OLI (Operational Land Imager) or OLI-2 on Landsat 8 or 9 and the MSI (Multi Spectral Instrument) on Sentinel-2, can help because they can more easily detect the signature of fire through gaps in the canopy.

The false-color image below shows an understory fire that burned widely in the rainforest (green) after escaping from a pasture (yellow) along the BR-432 road near Vila Nova Paraiso. Active fire fronts appear orange, and burned areas are brown. The image was acquired by the OLI on Landsat 8 on February 23, 2024.

“The situation is critical here,” said Haron Abrahim Magalhães Xaud, a remote sensing researcher at the Brazilian Agricultural Research Corporation (Embrapa) in Boa Vista. “We’ve broken the monthly record for total satellite detections of fire since the start of the MODIS record in 2000, and the government of Roraima has declared a state of emergency in nine municipalities due to drought and forest fires.”

Outbreaks of fire at this scale and intensity are typically exacerbated by weather and climate conditions, and this year is no exception. Severe drought has plagued the Amazon Basin since mid-2023, partly because the ongoing El Niño simmering in the Pacific has shifted rainfall away from this area. Drought is also severe because human-caused global warming has added extra heat to the region and helped create conditions where fires can flourish and spread rapidly.

“Amazon regions like Roraima that receive less rainfall during an El Niño year are poised to have longer and stronger dry seasons, increasing the risk that management fires spread out of control and burn into the rainforest,” said Douglas Morton, an earth scientist at NASA Goddard. Extreme fire activity in the northern Amazon early in the calendar year is typically followed by an uptick in fire activity in the southern Amazon in July through September, often months after the end of El Niño conditions in the tropical Pacific Ocean, he added.

As conditions change across the Amazon, earth scientists and fire managers in Brazil and around the world will be tracking Amazon fire activity using tools powered by satellite observations. “I check FIRMS, the SERVIR Amazon Fire Dashboard, INPE’s BD-Queimadas, and the CENSIPAM Fire Dashboard (Painel do Fogo) every day,” Xaud said. “The advantage of the SERVIR and CENSIPAM dashboards is that they provide event-level information, making it easier to visualize and track individual fires.”

Morton and Coffield are not only tracking the latest fire activity using existing tools. They’re also in the process of trying to build even better ones. Coffield is currently refining fire detection techniques and working on a new visualization tool—a prototype is available here—based on Landsat 8 & 9 and Sentinel-2 observations that the scientists hope will eventually make it easier to identify understory forest fires and make it easier to rapidly distinguish between fire types.

NASA Earth Observatory images by Wanmei Liang, using MODIS data from NASA EOSDIS LANCE and GIBS/Worldview and Landsat data from the U.S. Geological Survey. Story by Adam Voiland.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: April 03, 2024, 03:10:47 PM »
Venezuela battles record wildfires worsened by Amazon drought

enezuela is battling a record number of wildfires, according to data released on Monday, as a climate change-driven drought plagues the Amazon rainforest region.

Satellites registered more than 30,200 fire points in Venezuela from January to March, the highest level for that period since records started in 1999, according to Brazil’s Inpe research agency, which monitors all of South America.

That includes fires in the Amazon, as well as the country’s other forests and grasslands.

While the rainy season has brought relief in recent months further south in Brazil’s Amazon, the fires in Venezuela could be a worrying sign for what’s ahead once the dry season arrives there, said Manoela Machado, a fire researcher at University of Oxford.

“Everything is indicating we’re going to see other events of catastrophic fires — megafires that are huge in size and height,” Machado said.

The region’s most intense fires typically occur in Brazil in August and September along the southeastern edge of the Amazon, where deforestation for agriculture is most aggressive.

In Venezuela, roughly 400 firefighters fought a major blaze over the Easter holiday weekend that is threatening the lush Henri Pittier National Park, a beachfront preserve with rare cloud forests, according to the national park service.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/02/climate/venezuela-wildfires-climate-amazon-drought-intl/index.html

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: April 10, 2024, 05:25:31 PM »
Wildfires destroy 1.7m acres of land in first three months of 2024 – half of last year’s total

Wildfires across the United States have destroyed more than 1.7 million acres of land in the first three months of 2024, already more than half of last year’s total.

Three large, uncontained fires are currently burning in Alabama, Missouri and Florida, according to the National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC), while wildland firefighters have managed to get 23 other large fires under control this week.

So far this year, there have been 8,433 wildfires in the US, slightly below the 10-year average. However, the number of acres burned is more than triple what’s normal, NIFC said. Last year saw a total of 56,580 wildfires across the country, consuming nearly 2.7million acres.

In February, Texas had its largest wildfire in state history, leaving three people dead, and destroying more than a million acres and thousands of cattle.

Late last month, firefighters were faced with dozens of blazes in Virginia including one which ripped across hundreds of acres at Shenandoah National Park. Early March also saw significant fires across the Upper Midwest and areas of the Plains before rainfall intervened – at least for the time being. Towards the end of March, fire activity increased in the central Appalachians with several large fires in West Virginia and Virginia.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/us-wildfire-season-texas-california-b2525846.html

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: April 24, 2024, 10:26:28 AM »
Greece: Orange Sahara dust haze descends over Athens

A dramatic orange haze has descended over Athens as clouds of dust have blown in from the Sahara desert.

It is one of the worst such episodes to hit Greece since 2018, according to officials.

Greece had already been struck by similar clouds in late March and early April, which also covered areas of Switzerland and southern France.

The fire service on Tuesday reported 25 wildfires in the past 24 hours. One fire broke out near a naval base on the island of Crete - where temperatures soared above 30C(86F) - and homes and a kindergarten had to be evacuated, according to local reports.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68887377

Carbon for the Carbon God

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1821 on: April 27, 2024, 05:02:12 PM »
Currently CIFFC lists only 5,456 hectares as burned this season. But the map indicates a much larger area that is already on fire: https://ciffc.net

Does anybody know how/when they will count the many thousands of hectares "under control" as having been burned? Looks set to be another raging season!

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: April 29, 2024, 11:08:35 PM »
Epic blazes threaten Arctic permafrost. Can fire-fighters save it?

Some scientists argue that it’s time to rethink the blanket policy of letting blazes burn themselves out in northern wildernesses.

Fire season is approaching in the massive Yukon Flats National Wildlife Refuge in east Alaska, where fires have long been allowed to burn unchecked unless they threaten human life and property. But as climate change increases the frequency of these fires, the land’s overseers are changing course. Working with scientists, refuge managers have designed a pilot programme to parachute elite firefighting teams into remote areas to quash infernos — to protect not people but permafrost.

The forests and tundra of the Denmark-sized refuge cloak a deep layer of permafrost, frozen ground that holds enormous quantities of carbon across the Northern Hemisphere. After fires remove vegetation and soils, however, that frozen ground often begins to thaw, releasing its stores of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. New research1 suggests that the resulting emissions, from both the fires themselves and the subsequent permafrost thaw, could be on par with those of a major global economy over the course of this century. This could effectively reduce by up to 20% the amount of carbon dioxide that humanity can emit and still meet its goal of limiting global warming to 1.5 °C above preindustrial levels. The research has not yet been peer reviewed.

These numbers suggest that a rethink of longstanding fire policies in high-latitude boreal forests — where recovery after frequent fires could take decades if it happens at all — might be needed, says Brendan Rogers, an earth-systems scientist with the Woodwell Climate Research Center in Falmouth, Massachusetts. The pilot programme at Yukon Flats represents a test of that idea in an area where permafrost is particularly vulnerable.

“What we’re talking about is aggressive attacks on fires when they ignite in these areas,” Rogers says. Once such fires get going, he adds, it’s often too late. “That carbon is lost.”

A rise in fire frequency can have cascading effects on the ecosystem, and thus carbon, says Xanthe Walker, an ecologist at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, who has studied the effect of fires on permafrost. Historically, boreal forests have burnt once every 70–120 years, she says, which gives the black-spruce forest that dominates the ecosystem enough time to regenerate and rebuild carbon in the soil. More-frequent fires can burn ‘legacy’ carbon that has accumulated over centuries2 and can also kill off the black spruce (Picea mariana). That provides an opening for leafy deciduous trees, which do not promote the kind of carbon-rich soils that insulate permafrost.

Emissions win
Fire suppression could help to stave off some of these effects, buying humanity time to address the climate crisis. In a 2022 paper3, researchers at Woodwell and the Union of Concerned Scientists, a non-profit organization in Cambridge, Massachusetts, found that fire-suppression efforts in Alaska tend to reduce the total area burnt. Their calculations suggest that investing in fire suppression could reduce carbon emissions at a lower cost than that of many technologies for reducing industrial emissions. With an investment of around US$700 million annually in suppression over the next decade, Alaska alone could reduce carbon emissions by up to 3.9 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide through mid-century. That is more than the annual greenhouse-gas emissions of the European Union.

The pilot project at Yukon Flats began last year in eight areas covering nearly 650,000 hectares of land. Those zones account for 19% of the refuge and include 40% of the land underlain by a uniquely vulnerable type of permafrost called Yedoma, which contains deep ice wedges that often melt after fires. This causes the land to collapse, exposing ancient carbon to microbes whose activity releases greenhouse gases.

The target areas contain some 1.1 billion tonnes of carbon, which, if released, would be equivalent to around seven years of emissions from US coal burning.

more:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-01168-4

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: May 12, 2024, 09:30:46 AM »
Thousands told to evacuate due to British Columbia, Canada wildfire

Thousands of Canadians have been ordered to leave their homes in Fort Nelson, British Columbia due to the threat of a wildfire.

The blaze began on Friday night and was described by officials as "exhibiting extreme fire behaviour".

Wildfires have also led to evacuation alerts and orders in the neighbouring province of Alberta.

The Canadian government has warned this year's weather conditions would mean a greater wildfire risk in the country.

The Parker Lake fire, as it's been called by the British Columbia Wildfire Service (BCWS), was 8sq km (3 sq miles) in size as of Saturday morning after growing rapidly overnight.

Some 3,000 people in Fort Nelson - located in northeast BC about 1,600km (1,000 miles) from Vancouver - were ordered to evacuate.

Rob Fraser, mayor of the Northern Rockies Regional Municipality, told CBC News the fire began after high winds knocked a tree over and it crashed onto a power line and caught fire.

"And then by the time our firefighters were able to get down there, the wind had whipped this up into a fire that they weren't able to handle with the apparatus that we had," Mr Fraser said.

Strong winds and dry conditions are making the fire more difficult to fight, according to the BCWS.

As of Saturday, the fire was being fought by nine helicopters, as well as ground crews and a structure protection specialist, whose job it is to protect structures affected by wildfires.

In Alberta, people in the Grande Prairie region are under evacuation alerts and some have been asked to leave due to a blaze burning 4km east of the hamlet of TeePee Creek in the province's northwest.

Residents of Fort McMurray, a town of about 68,000 people, have also been told to be ready to leave as an out-of-control blaze burns some 25km southwest of the city.

In parts of Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan, Environment Canada issued Saturday air quality alerts due to wildfire smoke.

A warmer-than-normal winter that left little snow on the ground also compounded droughts in several regions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68996062

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: May 12, 2024, 02:24:11 PM »
15 days since I posted, CIFFC lists nearly 150K hectares burnt.

Those are rookie numbers. If we're going to match last year's high score we're gonna have to do better!

John Batteen

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1825 on: May 13, 2024, 04:46:28 AM »
And we're breathing it in already down here in the states.  I hope it isn't another miserable smoke-filled summer but I'm pretty sure it will be.

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: May 13, 2024, 01:52:55 PM »
And we're breathing it in already down here in the states.  I hope it isn't another miserable smoke-filled summer but I'm pretty sure it will be.

It's going to be a smoke-filled summer every year until the entire expanse of boreal forest is burnt to the ground.

Better head over to the army surplus store and grab a few gas masks.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1167
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #1827 on: May 15, 2024, 02:29:32 AM »
The flow of Canadian wildfire smoke into the US Midwest means that Kansas City, Kansas, has the distinction of having the worst air quality in the United States.

Some of the worst air quality in the world can be found Tuesday in places such as Indonesia, Qatar, Cambodia — and Kansas. The flow of Canadian wildfire smoke into the Midwest means that Kansas City, Kan., has the distinction of having the worst air quality in the United States.

According to IQAir, Code Orange air quality — considered unhealthy for sensitive groups — stretches across the Midwest, including Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma. Air quality alerts are in effect across northern Iowa. Other U.S. cities under Code Orange conditions include Kansas City, Mo.; Lincoln and Omaha, Neb.; and Des Moines, according to IQAir.

The wildfire smoke is coming from western Canada, where, for a second year in a row, fire season is off to an active and early start. Hundreds of fires have burned across hundreds of thousands of acres in recent days. As the smoke spread southward and eastward Monday, parts of Minnesota and Wisconsin were under air quality alerts.

Last year, a relentless and record-breaking Canadian wildfire season fueled a summer of smoke in parts of the United States, bouts of haze exposing swaths of the country to noxious skies. But the smoke is not expected to spread eastward like it did last year — at least, not yet. Forecast models project that some smoke will linger over the central states for the next couple of days but slowly become more dispersed.

In Iowa, authorities warned residents to avoid prolonged or intense outdoor activities, especially those with respiratory or heart disease, children, teenagers, the elderly and outdoor workers.

The estimated Air Quality Index was 148 in Kansas City, close to the levels IQAir reported in Medan and Jakarta, Indonesia, and in Doha, Qatar — and worse than conditions in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and Delhi, India.

Wildfire smoke has been among the factors reversing decades of air quality improvements since adoption of air pollution controls under the Clean Air Act in the 1960s and 1970s. In recent years, a growing number of Americans have been living with unhealthy levels of air pollution, and the country has experienced record numbers of days with very unhealthy or hazardous air quality, according to a recent American Lung Association report.

Air pollution increases the risk of health problems including lung damage and cardiovascular disease, and causes premature deaths.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2024/05/14/kansas-city-air-quality-canada-wildfire-smoke/

⬇️  Predicted near surface smoke through Thursday morning.  Click to animate.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: May 15, 2024, 05:06:10 PM »
Canadian Oil Sands City Evacuated As Wildfire Draws Near
https://phys.org/news/2024-05-canadian-city-oil-sands-region.html

smoke and flames from the fire in Fort McMurray

Thousands of residents of Fort McMurray, a city in Canada's major oil-producing region, fled as an out-of-control wildfire drew near and thick smoke filled the skies.

Shifting winds gusting to 40 kilometers per hour (25 miles per hour) fanned the flames, scorching 9,600 hectares of surrounding forests as it advanced to within 13 kilometers of the city in the western province of Alberta that had been gutted by wildfires in 2016—one of the biggest disasters in the nation's history.

Four neighborhoods were ordered to evacuate and by mid-afternoon, a highway south was jammed with cars and trucks fleeing to safety against a backdrop of plumes of dark smoke glowing orange in the distance.

Resident Ashley Russell was packed and ready to leave on a moment's notice, as the rest of the city was put on alert. "I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety. In 2016, my place burned down, so I'm reliving that," she told AFP.

"We're seeing extreme fire behavior," Alberta Wildfire spokeswoman Josee St-Onge told a news conference.

"Smoke columns are developing and the skies are covered in smoke," she said. "Firefighters have been pulled from the fire line for safety reasons."

Officials said the fire had grown significantly in multiple directions since Monday.

In 2016, the entire city with a population of more than 90,000 was evacuated while production of one million barrels of oil per day—almost one third of Canada's total output at the time—stopped. Canada is the world's fourth largest producer and a leading exporter of crude to the United States.

More than 2,500 homes and businesses were razed, with damage assessed at more than Can$3.7 billion. Thousands of residents never returned to the city.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: May 15, 2024, 09:14:12 PM »
There were several fires burning across Canada as of Tuesday, with a few dangerously close to towns and cities.

One is near Fort Nelson, a town in the north-eastern corner of British Columbia, about 1,600km from Vancouver.

Some 3,400 people live in Fort Nelson and the Fort Nelson Indian Reserve. Most of them have since been evacuated due to the Parker Lake wildfire that is burning nearby.

On Tuesday, hundreds of people were also forced to evacuate near Fort McMurray in northern Alberta due to a fire burning 13km from the city. A 2016 wildfire in Fort McMurray destroyed 2,400 homes.

Residents in the city itself and other surrounding neighbourhoods are on an emergency evacuation alert, meaning they could be asked to leave at any moment if the fire grows.

In Manitoba, 550 people were evacuated in the north-west of the province due to a wildfire that started on Thursday near the community of Cranberry Portage.

The wildfire had grown to 31,600 hectares (316 sq km) as of Tuesday afternoon - nearly the size of Manitoba's largest city, Winnipeg.

It spread at an unprecedented speed over the weekend, officials said, and could take weeks to be put out.

"I've been working in wildfires for 40 years. I've never seen a fire move like this fire moved," Earl Simmons, Manitoba's wildfire director, told reporters on Monday.

The Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre estimates there are 135 active fires across the country and 39 of those are out of control.

For years, Canadian wildfire season started in July or August, but in the past 20 years the wildfire season has been starting earlier and earlier in the year, Mr Kovacs told the BBC.

This year's wildfire season comes as the country reels from its worst fire season on record in 2023, when roughly 18.5m hectares of land had burned - an area about the size of North Dakota. On average, just 2.5m hectares typically burn in Canada each year.

Mr Kovacs noted that while the wildfires have started early again this year, as is becoming normal, last year at this time there were more fires than there are right now.

For years, Canadian wildfire season started in July or August, but in the past 20 years the wildfire season has been starting earlier and earlier in the year, Mr Kovacs told the BBC.

This year's wildfire season comes as the country reels from its worst fire season on record in 2023, when roughly 18.5m hectares of land had burned - an area about the size of North Dakota. On average, just 2.5m hectares typically burn in Canada each year.

Mr Kovacs noted that while the wildfires have started early again this year, as is becoming normal, last year at this time there were more fires than there are right now.

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: May 18, 2024, 06:14:37 PM »

Don't worry peasants, only 400K hectares of boreal forest have disintegrated into ash and decomposing wildlife corpses. This time last year was much worse, please don't pay any attention to the CO2e behind the curtain.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: June 10, 2024, 06:10:58 PM »
Wildfires threaten unique Brazil ecosystem

Firefighters are battling wildfires in Brazil's Pantanal, the world's largest tropical wetland.
The Pantanal is home to jaguars, giant anteaters and giant river otters.
Close to 32,000 hectares have already been destroyed by the fires in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul, local media report.
Climate experts say this year's wildfire season has started earlier and is more intense than in previous years.
Firefighters said their efforts to extinguish the flames were being hampered by high winds over the weekend.
The region has also seen less rain than in other years, which has made it easier for the fires to spread.
The number of fires from the start of the year up to 9 June has been 935% higher than in the same period last year, according to figures from Brazil's National Institute for Space Research (INPE).
The rise is particularly worrying as the high season for wildfires is not due to start until July.

Mato Grosso do Sul state authorities declared an environmental state of emergency in April, saying low levels of rainfall were creating ideal conditions for wildfires.
The number of fires so far in 2024 is the highest since 2020, which was the worst year on record in terms of Pantanal fires.
In that year, about 30% of the Pantanal was consumed by fire.
The difference in the number of fire outbreaks so far this year compared to last year is already staggering.

Between 1 January and 9 June 2023, 127 fires had been reported. In the same period this year, that number was 1,315.

Vinicius Silgueiro from local NGO Instituto Centro da Vida told Reuters news agency that "what is most worrying is that even in the rainy season, we had this increase in fires".
Mr Silgueiro warned that the situation would probably deteriorate further at the peak of the dry season in August and September.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/crgg7rnlrylo

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: June 13, 2024, 03:32:55 PM »
The Canadian wildfires are underperforming my expectations. I was hoping we'd hit 1M hectares by now, but CIFFC only shows 500K. What a buzzkill. There's still the rest of summer, at least. To be continued...