silkman

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 14
Fusion
« on: October 16, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »
All I can say is that this would be a game changer if it proved to have legs:

http://m.aviationweek.com/technology/skunk-works-reveals-compact-fusion-reactor-details

Unlike the sorry, mad professor tales of cold fusion many years ago, this story emanates from Lockheed Martin no less.

Is it credible? It seems highly unlikely given the billions spent by governments in pursuit of this particular holy grail but....

I'm not sure if I like the vision of a future with essentially limitless energy on tap any more than the apocalypse that will result from unrestrained anthropogenic carbon release.

My preference for my grandkids (all five of them so far) would be a world that understood the importance of sustainable limits.

What are your thoughts?

jbatteen

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Fusion
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 04:30:22 PM »
I've read as much as I can find about this, and it seems to me that this has a good chance of being legit.  The Nickel/Platinum/Palladium group have been known to interact in strange ways with hydrogen and catalyze all manner of reactions.  I'm remaining skeptical until we see it verified a few times, but this is one that doesn't instantly set off my BS detector.

Lynn Shwadchuck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »
The Lockheed Martin project head gave this fifteen minute talk on Google Solve X last November:

https://www.solveforx.com/moonshots/charles-chase-on-energy-for-everyone

Recent Forbes article takes it dead seriously. I think it's the best news in forty years!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/williampentland/2014/10/15/lockheed-martin-claims-fusion-breakthrough-that-could-change-world-forever/
Still living in the bush in eastern Ontario. Gave up on growing annual veggies. Too much drought.

silkman

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 06:30:28 PM »
Lynn

If it were to prove to be the real McCoy then I'd certainly agree that it would be an amazing and very positive breakthrough that would have enormous benefits given the challenges we face.

My concern is the potential it would have, whilst solving one enormous problem, that of anthropogenic warming, to replace it with a myriad of others.

The pursuit of growth would be enhanced on a still finite planet and the human race would soon face new challenges for survival.

I suppose it would be a good problem to face but would we be able to create a new world order that could manage the opportunities equitably? Would we be able to ensure that Africa would reap the early benefits for example?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1337
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 12:50:00 AM »
Continue on this older fusion thread, svp.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith