Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: 2015 Southeast Greenland  (Read 3201 times)

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
2015 Southeast Greenland
« on: January 20, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
Here in SoCal winter seems to be over.  Perhaps in SE Greenland as well, now that the sun is back.  Seen on the Umiivik pages of DMI, I believe some of the more dramatic retreat is at a glacier called A. P. Bernstoff.  Images are 1/20/2015 and 1/17/2014.  I wasn't sure if the retreats I was seeing over the past 2 weeks could be real, or clouds, or shadows, but this looks pretty real to me.  The SST anomaly is also pretty high in that area.
FNORD

werther

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 2015 Southeast Greenland
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 09:46:26 AM »
Morning Tim!
It is not my intention to spoil your hard work on spotting all GIS changes. I've done the same over the years, as I believe FI Espen does, or Mauri Pelto on 'From a glaciers perspective'.
But I think the difference you refer to doesn't relate to major calving at this point of the season.
Fjords like this often show dramatic shifts in the content of ice debris, especially during the winter season.
In my opinion, the right time to watch for differences is about July, when most snowdecks have melted and the cryosphere remains have better properties on MODIS to interpret their quality.

I'm looking forward to do a new contour survey this year. The comparison to those of '09 and '12 will give an indication what has been the effect of a small meltseason ('13), a 'normal' one ('14) and the spring to come.

Look for the post on this glacier on the Greenland icesheet retreat thread to see what the comparison '09 to '12 produced on this area.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
Re: Southeast Greenland
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 09:55:02 PM »
Interesting reports in the From a Glacier's Perspective blog by Mauri Pelto, professor of Environmental Science at Nichols College (Massachusetts, USA).  This from May 30, 2016:

Tingmiarmit Glacier Retreat Separates Tributaries, South East Greenland.  Discussion at the link.

Tingmiarmit Glacier comparison in 1999 and 2015 Landsat images indicating the separation of tributaries at the terminus. The red arrows indicate the 1999 terminus and the yellow arrows the 2015 terminus location.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"