Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Film clip shows North Pole circa late 40's  (Read 4293 times)

LRC1962

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 3
Film clip shows North Pole circa late 40's
« on: February 20, 2015, 06:46:46 AM »
Watching something else entirely. came across film that shows a group of airplanes landing at the North Pole in the late 40's. What a pristine flat surface it was at that time. By the shawdos I wouls saw mid summer as it appears the sun must be fairly high in the sky.
Note: The NP shows up at around the 6:30 min mark.
"All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; Second,  it is violently opposed; and Third, it is accepted as self-evident."
       - Arthur Schopenhauer

folke_kelm

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Film clip shows North Pole circa late 40's
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 09:08:39 AM »
many years ago, i think it was 1990, i bought a book about russian activities in the arctic.
The author is a hungarian jounalist, István Kulcsár, the title (free translation) "with the microphone at the northpole".

This book describes in detail the history of the soviet polar research and weatherstations they have had the year around on floating ice ilands up to 70m thick, capable to support even large airfields on the ice and it despribes the life and work of soviet meteorologists and other research stuff on these stations an on land in the high arctic. You have to read it with some filter in mind about propaganda, you know, soviet research is perfectly peacefull, american and european only military.......suck......but....

.......If one would like to know how the ice conditions have been from the 1920ies up to the late 70ies, this book is really a gem.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 03:55:08 PM »
I have an NSIDC DVD including video of Norbert Untersteiner "water skiing" at the North Pole in the late 1950's.

It says it can be used "for non-profit purposes of public information and education", so I'll see if I can reproduce some of it here.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 10:48:21 PM »
Here's the video I mentioned. I managed to squeeze in a nuclear sub also. Not towing Norbert I hasten to add!

"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg