Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Image of the Day  (Read 374414 times)

numerobis

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Arctic Image of the Day
« Reply #1050 on: November 16, 2017, 03:08:52 PM »
Without a zoom lens I can't capture the beauty of the morning.

The bay is steaming. It's still open water, but the air is -20 C. The islands in the inlet look like they're floating. Then add the sunset on that.

Jim Hunt

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
« Reply #1051 on: November 18, 2017, 12:11:03 AM »
The Arctic moving image of the day:

Via SpaceWeather:

On the evening of Nov. 16th, aurora tour guide Tony Bateman of northern Finland was indoors, warming up between auroras, when his surroundings began to vibrate. "There was a huge bang and the cottage shook violently," he reports. "At first I thought it was an earthquake. Or maybe a tree fell on the cottage roof! I walked outside and inspected the trees. Everything looked okay." A quick replay of his aurora webcam solved the mystery. "It was an incredible meteor," he says.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

litesong

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: November 30, 2017, 03:37:17 AM »
The Arctic moving image of the day:

Via SpaceWeather:
"It was an incredible meteor," he says.
[/quote]
Don't have pix, but 3 stories about meteors here:
One of my astronomy students had really gotten interested in astronomy during my classroom studies & our nighttime mountain top telescope observations, over looking a valley. One night he took his wife out to the mountain top & he pointed out the constellations & a few celestial objects they could see through binoculars. Then she saw a bright light out of the corner of her eye. It was a meteor, but not one 20 to 50 miles away. The meteor came towards them at an angle, burning past them at only 1 or 2 miles distance, descending down the valley. Behind the valley were distant mountains, & the meteor was BELOW the horizon. After passing them, at roughly 3 to 5 miles distance, the meteor blew up & flashed out of sight.
//////
We were observing at a star party, among high mountains. In the darkness, I was talking with 3 people, who I only saw as dim shadows. Suddenly, a brightness lit up behind me, which I thought was headlights turned on. Then, the incoming meteor, hit the lower atmosphere, & like a huge camera flash, the meteor brightly lit up the mountains for 20 miles around. I turned around to see the meteor dying out. But as I turned, the after-image of the 3 people in the darkness, followed my sight picture on my retinas.
//////   
 Was observing a meteor shower at a star party & I had my tripod mounted 20x80 binoculars. One very bright meteor streaked across the sky, & I was barely able to binocular see the tail-end of the meteor streak as it died out. Lots of ohs & ahs for that meteor could be heard in the night, but quickly people looked other places, waiting for more meteors. However, I continued to observe the sky where the meteor died out & shouted out that I could still see the meteor contrail in the sky. People said no way. But those who came over & looked through my binoculars also saw the contrail. Finally, people left. I was trained to observe very low surface brightness galaxies & with those techniques, I continued to observe the contrail. After 15 minutes, I could still see the contrail. Two other people looked through the binoculars, confirming my report. After 20 minutes, I could still see the contrail, but.... no one came to look. They were busy seeing bright meteors, not long gone ultra-dim meteor smoke. ha ha ha

sesyf

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: December 01, 2017, 06:25:42 PM »
The finnish astornomical society, Ursa, ( https://www.ursa.fi/english.html ) has calculated where the meteor landed from received reports. Probably now the remnants are covered in snow, so there will be an attempt to find some of them in the spring.

Pavel

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: December 10, 2017, 09:06:01 PM »

philiponfire

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: December 17, 2017, 08:22:39 AM »
To assert that the death of this polar bear is anything to do with climate change is totally spurious unless there is evidence that this was a young healthy bear in the first place. looks to me like an old bear dying naturally.

jdallen

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: December 17, 2017, 09:07:14 AM »
...looks to me like an old bear dying naturally.
You base you conclusion on what evidence?
This space for Rent.

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: December 17, 2017, 10:08:50 AM »
The finnish astornomical society, Ursa, ( https://www.ursa.fi/english.html ) has calculated where the meteor landed from received reports. Probably now the remnants are covered in snow, so there will be an attempt to find some of them in the spring.

So it happens the thing fell on about the remotest area possible to reach by anyone in Finland. Area's close to Russian border so using snowmobile or ATV requires permits and you'd need to have border patrol with you. You can walk or ski on the area freely and possibly meet one of the three persons living in the area. Think central Alaska 30 miles from nearest settlement of 10 people.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:22:41 AM by Pmt111500 »
A quantity relates to a quantum like camel's back relates to camel's _______ ? (back, vertebra, vertebral tendon, spinal disc, paralysis)

echoughton

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: December 17, 2017, 11:12:54 AM »
Well Mr. Allen, can you support any claim that man burning FF had a part in the demise of this or any other polar bear?

Espen

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: December 17, 2017, 11:42:31 AM »
To me this bear looks far more hungering than the bear discussed?
Have a ice day!

magnamentis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
    • Philosophy Ethics Numerology Mikrocirkulation Vaskular Therapie Gesundheit Blut Gesundheit Schmerzen Multiple Sklerose Diabetes Immunsystem Fibromyalgia Modular Mobile Computing iOS Software OSX Android Custom Rom Rooted
« Reply #1060 on: December 17, 2017, 08:03:53 PM »
A video of a starving polar bear in the Baffin Island
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/news/171207-polar-bear-starving-iceless-land-vin-spd

is there any evidence that this bear is not dying according to his age or starving because of injuries or illness. i hope it's clear that i'm totally convinced of man made climate change happening and that there are consequences for fauna and flora but in another article it was claimed that this bear is dying naturally, not climate related and while i can't tell the facts, the question alone implies that such images should only be posted with claiming a climate change relation if there is either evidence and/or founded reason to believe that at least in parts it's related.

i know that whenver i posted such "warnings" in the past they were not helpful so whoever doesn't like this post can save his breath. i strongly believe that half-true or untrue or not proven information will be exploited by the contrarians and not help our cause but damage it.

please remember that the post starts and is a question, followed by the reason to ask, not a statement, hence if anyone knows where is evidence that this image is not out of context but indeed shows a bear, starving BECAUSE of climate change, be so kind and link me there because the purpose of all is to gather knowledge based on facts or reason.
http://magnamentis.com
Knowledge, Understanding & Insight Are Among The Best Sources For Personal Freedom & Vitality !

Dharma Rupa

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: December 18, 2017, 02:46:33 AM »
...i strongly believe that half-true or untrue or not proven information will be exploited by the contrarians and not help our cause but damage it.
I don't care what the contrarians think/do, and I don't think we have a "cause" other than to be fair witness.

Kate

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: December 22, 2017, 12:03:55 PM »

echoughton

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: December 22, 2017, 12:52:51 PM »
It's not argument, Kate. It's discussion. When the motive is to pin this poor animal
s demise on AGW, I think it is lazy and not at all scientific. It is presented by some to alarm.
I read your accompanying articles and nothing was answered regarding climate change causing this bear to starve....although lack of ice there may be a direct result of AGW. This bear certainly could have cancer, or be very old...who knows?

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1064 on: December 22, 2017, 10:24:23 PM »
It's not argument, Kate. It's discussion.

The same kind of discussion we had in the 60s and 70s wrt smoking.  ;)
Il faut cultiver notre jardin

echoughton

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: December 23, 2017, 01:17:42 AM »
The same kind of discussion we had in the 60s and 70s wrt smoking

How do you copy...like in the box with quotes? This copy and paste is not the same.

echoughton

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 23, 2017, 01:20:12 AM »

How do you copy...like in the box with quotes? This copy and paste is not the same.

Martin Gisser

• ASIF Citizen
  • alias Mars Joh. P. Florifulgurator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: December 23, 2017, 01:33:08 AM »
It is presented by some to alarm.

Since this is an images thread I herewith challenge you (reader) to present one interesting image of a nontrivial planetary biogeophysical phenomenon (preferably arctic) that can be argued to have no causal connection to the present carbon pulse. 8)
"The universe is irrelevant for all practical purpose, so better forget about being thrown into it." --Florifulgurator

charles_oil

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 25, 2017, 01:50:10 PM »
Keeping a careful lookout - no sign of A68 here.  Did see a couple of Christmas dolphins though.... 

Espen

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 04, 2018, 09:50:48 PM »
I totally agree with Steve:
Have a ice day!

gregcharles

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 05, 2018, 05:15:26 AM »
I totally agree with Steve:

Me too, but not on much else.

A-Team

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 06, 2018, 08:23:09 PM »
Nice photo (click to view properly) below of walrus hauling out on some Arctic sea ice, where and when not provided.

Despite it all being in plain view, I am totally baffled (as usual) as to how it should be scored for area, extent, concentration, thickness and volume. For example, what is the freeboard on that slanted floe behind the walrus? How should that jumble of snow, ice and air be treated? What do the various satellites see looking down?

Life is so much easier when some algorithm with 25 km x 25 km does the scoring and gives us a single number for the whole Northern Hemisphere.

A-Team

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 11, 2018, 03:26:50 PM »
Here is an odd bit of floe motion that occurred this fall during the big ice pack lurch to the west and CW rotation, Nov  27 - Dec  17 . The circled block of ice is pinned between the immovable islands of the CAA and the main westward moving ice pack. It responds by rotating in position.

We see this same effect happening to tributary ice streams over a 15 year time scale on the east side of Petermann glacier, see gif animations on that forum.

It is also very similar to what happened over 20 myr to the Transverse Range off Santa Barbara, Ca (the same area in the news because of the Thomas Fire and subsequent landslides). The plate tectonics there was animated years ago by Tanya Atwater of UCSB.

http://emvc.geol.ucsb.edu/2_infopgs/IP4WNACal/dSoCalifTect.html
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:38:24 AM by A-Team »

Jim Hunt

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
« Reply #1073 on: January 12, 2018, 10:17:49 AM »
Via Twitter:

Flying over the Confederation Bridge, Prince Edward Island at 7500'
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 12, 2018, 02:17:54 PM »
Curious:  I could download and watch A-Team's "SoCalif_Tectonics (T Atwater).mp4" but not his "transverse range block rotation in CAA.mp4".  (I could also download the GIF.)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

Sleepy

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 12, 2018, 03:43:57 PM »
Missing codec? Here it is as gif, slighty reduced.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 12, 2018, 06:34:28 PM »
Thanks, Sleepy!
Totally cool depiction of the rolling floe.
And A-Team's geological parallel is now in context.  (I just wish it would take as long for the Arctic ice to melt as it will take for San Francisco to enter Canada.)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.