Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Sea Ice Forum Humor  (Read 566035 times)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: Arctic Sea Ice Forum Humor
« Reply #1050 on: March 14, 2018, 04:48:08 PM »
Because we have been discussing it here.

Since the main complaint was that all these posts show up in the "Show unread posts since last visit." button, I'd like to second Martin's suggestion above to "to have "Recent Posts" listed/filtered according to categories.". Oren made a similar suggestion.

To start, maybe have at least TWO buttons :

One "Show unread posts since last visit WITHOUT the 'rest'"
and One "Show unread posts since last visit WITH the 'rest'"

I've had a look, but it seems I can't do this the easy way.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #1051 on: March 14, 2018, 05:07:13 PM »
Icelanders are likely to depart the Paris accord on the grounds of bad wording on the agreement. "It's global milding, not warming", says the negotiator for the country. Siberian delegates applause.

Iceland? Really? (just asking, if it's Iceland that's shocking, I thought they were smart and on board with reality)

Pmt111500

« Reply #1052 on: March 14, 2018, 05:32:51 PM »
Icelanders are likely to depart the Paris accord on the grounds of bad wording on the agreement. "It's global milding, not warming", says the negotiator for the country. Siberian delegates applause.

Iceland? Really? (just asking, if it's Iceland that's shocking, I thought they were smart and on board with reality)

They're also planning to build a wall against volcanos that threaten their livelihood and starting a new visa policy, you can still get there as a tourist, but only if you bring enough arable soil with you.

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #1053 on: March 14, 2018, 05:35:17 PM »
Hot, cold or mild. I think this is unnecessarily confusing. The definitions are very clear when used properly.

Hot:  having a relatively high temperature hot and humid weather serving hot meals to the poor

Cold:   having a relatively low temperature or one lower than normal or expected

Mild:  moderate in action or effect

Using these definitions the only temperature that can't be considered hot is absolute zero, because there is no colder temperature.  By the same logic the only temperature that can't be considered cold is the Plank temperature, because there is no hotter temperature.

Mild is not a temperature specific term, but a general use term to describe something moderate.

0C at the North pole in February is not mild. That is an extreme temperature relative to normal temperature in the arctic. 0C in the North Pole in February is hot. That is the proper description, even if it may confuse ignorant audience. It is the burden of the audience to understand the relative nature of hot and cold.

Oh and this is humor because it is me complaining about proper use of words.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1054 on: March 14, 2018, 06:30:49 PM »
Now there's a mild-mannered fellow!  :)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1055 on: March 18, 2018, 12:58:39 PM »
Insert old joke:
Q: How do you know if a finn is happy of your question?
A: He looks at you with a grim face, and answers in dialectal finnish you don't get.

The difference to a Dane is of course the face is bland on a Dane. This is why finns and danes get along so well, I'm told.
Maybe that's why I had to work with Danes in the past?

Kahden medialähteen mukaan Pohjois- ja Etelä-Korean sekä Yhdysvaltain välisiä neuvotteluja edistettäisiin seuraavaksi Suomessa.
https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-10121591
Now you have your chance Pmt, to teach those representatives what terve means!
Terve järki, would be too much...
Q: How do you know if a Finn is happy ?
A:  His (or her) knife says attached to the ankle.

Once upon a time I was sent to Västerås to learn Portuguese (the world of international development is sometimes strange). Me and this Irish guy got bored and went to the Friday night disco in town. We did not know it was pay day at the huge ASEA plant. The place was full-up Finns, most of the women in full traditional dress.

It was very quiet, very very quiet. Me and my Irish mate were at the bar, and he asked the bar manager - why so quiet? She answered "They are Finns, they are drinking. Words would interrupt the drinking."

Later, after traditional dancing to traditional  tunes from a traditional band, a disco really did start to happen. My idiot Irish mate decided to try his luck. He was doing well until a woman marched up to his partner and decked her - and I mean decked her. The aggressor was the aggressee's sister - "My sister is going with a foreigner !" she shrieked. I saw some men reaching to their ankle and bring out shiny sharp looking things. I grabbed the Irishman by the hair and marched him to the exit and heaved him into a taxi as the cops were rushing in with guns drawn.

It was a cop who explained, after grilling us, all about the Finns who worked at ASEA, drinking on pay day, Finnish knives, and that we were lucky to exit in one piece.

But  have to say that that evening was not boring.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Pmt111500

« Reply #1056 on: March 18, 2018, 03:15:41 PM »
Oops, it looks like we better behave. There's of course the facts that we're almost neighbors with North Korea as there is only one country between us and that we have a long border with country that's directly allied with USofA. I don't know where Trumpistan fits in this picture: https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/03/18/asia/north-korea-finland-us-talks/index.html

Gerontocrat, that sounds a lot like this was a special party for the costumes, and you might hve been interpreted as gatecrashers by these intrepid fellows coming at you. Apologies for their enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:24:56 PM by Pmt111500 »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 18, 2018, 03:35:58 PM »

Gerontocrat, that sounds a lot like this was a special party for the costumes, and you might hve been interpreted as gatecrashers by these intrepid fellows coming at you. Apologies for their enthusiasm.
No need to apologise - it was great fun, and good preparation for the R&R times in a little country in West Africa with a bunch of Finns, Swedes and Icelanders. Those were the good days - one international flight per week, no TV, only two unreliable international lines for the whole country, no fax, email (what's email?) and me in charge of the only reliable international communication device outside of the embassies - the telex machine.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1058 on: March 19, 2018, 10:16:41 AM »
Who will do the Swedes?

I can't, I'm married.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 19, 2018, 10:56:39 AM »
Thank you for covering the Finns gerontocrat, that's why I wrote this above:
Maybe we should disect those stereotypes a bit further? I'll start with Norway (won't do Sweden or Finland, would be ugly...)

Edit; forgot the follow up question: Who will do the Swedes?

EASY - now follows a TRUE story or three. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

Once upon a time the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) asked me to join a project in Africa to do the the finance stuff. While being interviewed in Stockholm I asked "why hire an Englishman? Are there no Swedish finance people?"

The answer was "Our financial systems assume people are honest. We have problems with aid going astray. Your financial systems and attitude is to assume people are not honest. So we hire people like you when and where we have some problems."

In Vasteras finding out about Finns and the Portuguese language. In a taxi talking to the Irish guy. Taxi-driver turns around and tells me off for not speaking English as it should be spoken.

The Swedes on the project in Africa were proud to point out that
a) their English was good enough to allow all reporting for and to SIDA to be in English. (My Swedish was non-existent)
b) The Swedes use a four-hole punch for filing documents as opposed to the wholly (joke?) inadequate Anglo-Saxon two.

Rotten fish is horrible.

Tack tack.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1060 on: March 19, 2018, 11:12:40 AM »
That's a good one gerontocrat, Swedes are self centered hypocrites. I've been a Swedish citizen since 1967 so I have some experience in trying to become a true Swede. Back in those days it was the bloody Finns that were stealing their jobs and women.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #1061 on: March 19, 2018, 12:45:03 PM »
Let me drop something from my kravata land:

Perhaps Neven translate line or two, he like us. Austrian version for him, to make translation easier.
(psst, Origigi song performed by eastern neighbors.)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1062 on: March 19, 2018, 01:00:58 PM »
You want a half-Dutch, half-Dalmatian idiot living in Austria to translate a Zagabrian guy (I assume) singing a Serbian reggae song at double-speed?  :D

BTW, we need to take this to the kafic.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 23, 2018, 01:02:32 PM »
Satire seems to be ill suited in this humo(u)r thread but here's another.
-

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 23, 2018, 03:09:27 PM »
Satire seems to be ill suited in this humo(u)r thread but here's another.
Hullo Sleepy,

When the Soviet Union collapsed and the Russian Boris (Yeltsin)(1)  became in charge, a Russian Satirist was heard to remark. "Satire is dead. Why? The Reality is beyond satire".

In Little Britain, that's where we are now. Herewith a copy of a posting by the Guv in Russiagate that is 100% correct:-
Re: Russiagate

In fact, jingoist clown Johnson agreed with an MP that the upcoming World Cup in Russia is to Putin what the 1936 Olympics were to Hitler. Way to go, Boris...  ::)

See what I mean?

ps:- (1) Are they related? We need to know.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: March 24, 2018, 08:49:19 AM »
Yes gerontocrat, but now you forced me to go and read in that thread to check that quote. That statement by English B, was on our tabloids here as well. I don't know what politics is good for anymore. Comedy is also not good for anything, apart from being one of the few things that makes life worth living.

English B is missing in this slightly dated video, only PFT. That may stand for Pretty Fucking Tight, Pretty Fucking Terrible or even more boringly, the first letter in their names but I'll abstain from writing such ugly words online.
-

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: March 24, 2018, 10:51:56 AM »

English B is missing in this slightly dated video, only PFT. That may stand for Pretty Fucking Tight, Pretty Fucking Terrible or even more boringly, the first letter in their names but I'll abstain from writing such ugly words online.

Isn't there an angry thread somewhere in a dark corner of ASIF where we are allowed, perhaps even encouraged, to use naughty words and vomit out our disgust with the world?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1067 on: March 24, 2018, 10:55:15 AM »
Yes, there is, here. Have fun!  ;D
The enemy is within

E. Smith

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: March 24, 2018, 12:53:28 PM »
Yes, there is, here. Have fun!  ;D

Thankyou, Guv, I feel better now.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: March 25, 2018, 08:44:08 AM »

English . is missing in this slightly dated video, only .... That may stand for .retty .ucking .ight, .retty .ucking .errible or even more boringly, the first letter in their names but I'll abstain from writing such ugly words online.

Isn't there an angry thread somewhere in a dark corner of ASIF where we are allowed, perhaps even encouraged, to use naughty words and vomit out our disgust with the world?
Sorry, naughty parts removed.
-

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: April 21, 2018, 01:31:22 PM »
Perfidious Albion !

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/apr/20/most-fowl-oxford-dodo-shot-in-the-back-of-the-head

Murder most fowl: Oxford dodo 'shot in the back of the head'

Revelation astonishes experts, who thought the renowned bird lived out its life in London as a money-spinning curiosity

With its plump head and bulbous beak, the renowned remains of a dodo at the Oxford University Museum of Natural History have long captivated visitors, Lewis Carroll among them. Now researchers say they have uncovered how the dodo died – a discovery that makes the old bird’s past curiouser and curiouser.

Researchers used a form of CT scanning and sophisticated software to probe the anatomy and habits of the Oxford dodo - the world’s best preserved specimen of the bird – and discovered the animal was shot in the back of the head and neck with lead pellets.

“The shot is consistent with it being very fine calibre fowling shot – the sort of shot that was used to down birds,” Prof Paul Smith, director of the Oxford University Museum of Natural History, told the Guardian.

The revelation has astonished experts, who thought the bird had lived out its life in London as a money-spinning curiosity.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #1071 on: May 10, 2018, 10:29:41 PM »
Food for thought from Toles:
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: May 14, 2018, 06:17:55 PM »
Always look on the bright side of life:
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: May 16, 2018, 03:12:43 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2018/may/02/the-universe-is-an-egg-and-the-moon-isnt-real-notes-from-a-flat-earth-conference

The universe is an egg and the moon isn't real: notes from a Flat Earth conference

Michael Marshall attended the UK’s annual gathering of people who share the unshakeable belief that the Earth is flat

Welcome to the Flat Earth UK Convention, a raucous departure from scientific norms where people are free to believe literally anything.

“When people ask me what I believe, I can’t say that I believe in anything 100%”, Gary John tells the audience during his opening address. “Apart from that we don’t live on a globe”.

That unshakeable belief is one of the few points of total agreement for the 200-strong audience at this week’s gathering. There is less consensus, however, on what form the Earth actually takes: some believe it to be a disc with the Arctic circle in the middle; some believe that circle is under a dome, above which there may or may not be an expanse of water; others believe the Earth is just one in a series of ponds in a vast expanse of ice; and other still believe the Earth exists beneath four cosmic rings within a giant egg-shaped universe.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #1074 on: May 16, 2018, 03:38:28 PM »
my recent response to a flat-earther .. of course it's flat .. I sat on it .. :)
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1075 on: May 18, 2018, 02:06:53 PM »
I eventually decided this was the best place to give recognition to an outstanding comedian, Mo Brooks, for his 'obviously' humorous explanation for sea level rise... ref Guardian article https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/17/republican-congressman-mo-brooks-sea-level-rise-rocks
Any relation to Mel?
Sic transit gloria mundi

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #1076 on: May 18, 2018, 04:00:15 PM »
I eventually decided this was the best place to give recognition to an outstanding comedian, Mo Brooks, for his 'obviously' humorous explanation for sea level rise... ref Guardian article https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/17/republican-congressman-mo-brooks-sea-level-rise-rocks
Any relation to Mel?

Nope. Not funny at all. Tamino has a new article that talks about this:
https://tamino.wordpress.com/2018/05/18/dum-dum-dum-dum-dum/

Sorry, I've lost the ability to think it's funny. Nobody ever lost money underestimating intelligence of the punters ...

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: May 18, 2018, 11:00:13 PM »
Agreed, Susan. Not really funny at all. But you gotta laugh or else you'll cry...
Mind you, Boris Johnson and Mo could prop up the cliffs of Dover and solve both Brexit and sea level rise in one fell swoop ☺
Sic transit gloria mundi

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: May 19, 2018, 07:20:15 AM »
Good idea, lets shove all of those <beep> <beep> <beep> in there and we're done!
-

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: May 19, 2018, 12:48:43 PM »
Good idea, lets shove all of those <beep> <beep> <beep> in there and we're done!

If Boris fell into the English Channel from the cliffs of Dover then France would have its first Tsunami in how many(?) years. And the fat bastard would float.

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: May 19, 2018, 09:39:23 PM »
Nah. There would be a disturbance in the force... 'Much anger I sense in you, young Skywalker' 😁
Sic transit gloria mundi

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: May 21, 2018, 09:36:11 AM »
Ignorance is a choice.
-

Pmt111500

« Reply #1082 on: May 21, 2018, 10:02:58 AM »
Ignorance is a choice.

Quite funnily both paths end up in the ravine :D

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: June 16, 2018, 08:36:00 AM »
Correct Pmt, but it's like life in general. The right path provides more exercise and a healthier, longer life but you will end in the same ravine anyway.

This has probably been posted in this thread but it's good enough to post again?
-

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1084 on: June 17, 2018, 01:31:42 AM »
Ignorance is a choice.

Quite funnily both paths end up in the ravine :D
Behind us somewhere was a path junction that offered a choice between two ideas:  one lead us to the two ignorance paths (where both go over the cliff) and the other lead us to wisdom or understanding or something.  I doubt the signs at the earlier junction read "Ignorance - Knowledge" but something like "I'm right - I'm learning".
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: June 25, 2018, 09:44:57 AM »
Lost this one, I misrepresented Wiley Miller's cartoon by posting a cropped version, shame on me. At the time I didn't think it mattered much because I found the message obvious, sorry x2.
Here's the real, uncropped one.
-

Pmt111500

« Reply #1086 on: June 30, 2018, 12:57:51 PM »
This is probably the best place here for this news article, from bbc business section  ;D :) ;D https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44613652

Pmt111500

« Reply #1087 on: June 30, 2018, 05:35:36 PM »
I think this applies to many here

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: July 05, 2018, 12:19:14 PM »
An unusually bleak cartoon from Australia's "First Dog on The Moon"

(https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/05/fascism-is-coming)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #1089 on: July 05, 2018, 09:26:43 PM »
“I forced a bot to watch over 1,000 hours of AGU Fall Meeting talks and then I asked it to write a talk (audience experience and all) on its own. Here is the first page.”
https://twitter.com/_katiezin/status/1014864044996456448
Images below.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: July 26, 2018, 06:45:46 PM »
Too difficult:
― Leon C. Megginson

Pmt111500

« Reply #1091 on: August 08, 2018, 11:49:57 AM »
Onion: always on the edge of exciting!! 
https://www.theonion.com/climate-researchers-warn-only-hope-for-humanity-now-lie-1828171232

(Sarc) But srlsy, who here have they interviewed? I know it's not me, i've been too busy producing counter-counter-counter-counter-counter propaganda against those doing the other thing, or something, I don't know... but srlsly, what was it I was supposed to be doing ? Can someone clarify??? Help!! (/sarc)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: August 13, 2018, 06:27:47 PM »
Toles on fish migration & climate change (from 2013):
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: August 15, 2018, 11:46:25 PM »
A message for Team Trump:
― Leon C. Megginson

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #1094 on: October 31, 2018, 04:07:25 PM »

From jesusandmo.net.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: November 13, 2018, 06:53:18 PM »
Not really humorous

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46187070
Iceland Christmas ad: Petition to show it on TV hits 670k

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #1096 on: December 16, 2018, 10:42:08 PM »
I've just enjoyed scanning lastest posts .. overwhelmed as they are by 'Ice Apocalypse' and 'Halocine Extinction' the solitary 'unsorted' has never held such appeal .. :) b.c.

Aagh ! No ! lol ..
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 16, 2018, 11:08:40 PM »
I've just enjoyed scanning lastest posts .. overwhelmed as they are by 'Ice Apocalypse' and 'Halocine Extinction' the solitary 'unsorted' has never held such appeal .. :) b.c.

Aagh ! No ! lol ..
Mea Culpa.

Mind you, I thought the accusation that Rachel Carson was a commie was humorous, though of a blackish tinge.

And there were counterattacks, sometimes in a humorous vein (but still blackish)

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #1098 on: December 19, 2018, 12:07:17 PM »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 29, 2018, 07:24:23 PM »