Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: shell drilling in the arctic  (Read 2154 times)

lisa

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
shell drilling in the arctic
« on: May 15, 2015, 03:53:50 AM »
Looks like Shell Oil has been cleared to drill seven exploratory wells in the Chukchi Sea this summer. 

http://www.popsci.com/shell-can-start-drilling-oil-arctic-summer?dom=gp&src=SOC

So I figured I'd start a thread.

The Noble Discoverer, the ship involved in eight felonies in Shell's last attempt in the arctic, will be back.  Here's a quote from KTUU (Anchorage, Alaska):

"The charges are related to Noble's efforts to side-step environmental reporting laws and laws regulating the disposal of waste-water, and to conceal those efforts from authorities.

The company admits to making false entries about the collection, storage and disposal of oil in record-keeping books, among other crimes, according to the plea agreement.

According to prosecutors, Noble admitted to:

-- Knowing and willfully failing to notify the U.S. Coast Guard of hazardous conditions aboard the drill ship Noble Discoverer.

-- Failing to maintain an accurate “oil record book” and an accurate “international oil pollution prevention certificate.”

-- Failing to maintain a ballast water record book.

In a statement on the plea agreement, Noble Drilling parent firm Noble Corporation emphasized the voluntary nature of steps it has taken in response to the Justice Department allegations."

full story here: http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/drilling-company-operator-of-kulluk-platform-admits-to-8-felony-crimes-while-working-for-shell-in-alaska/30120696

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1337
  • Likes Given: 618
Re: shell drilling in the arctic
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 06:15:44 AM »
People can discuss this latest news concerning Shell getting a permit to drill in the Arctic (covered here on the ASIB), but there's a more central Arctic drilling-thread here.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith